As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The daily bonus XP is almost a full level pre-50.

reVerse on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    What makes low-level roulette so good? The prompt for it in DF makes it look like the "bonus XP" is a pretty negligible chunk of the XP I need to level.

The bonus xp number isn't listed. The up arrow is the indicator of the daily bonus and it's about 50-80k xp, iirc. At least that's what I am remembering getting at 50+. It's a huge amount of xp for the time needed, anyway.

The listed number is only the bare xp amount one gets for completing the low level dungeon. That and there's the adventurer in need bonus.

EDIT: checking the googles shows reports of 140k up to 200k xp for a low level daily bonus. Looks like the xp reward is dependent on the player's level. I'm probably misremembering the number I put up above.

Doing the daily is absolutely worth it.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    The first time you run it each day gives a large chunk of xp, you'll get at least a level with that + whatever is in the dungeon.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    The bonus they show you in DF is the bonus for the role that is needed. They don't actually show you how much you can get but it's a pretty decent amount.

I believe I got about 200k at lv.56 doing low level roulettes (With +3% EXP food), and thats not counting the EXP from mobs on my way to the boss.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I believe that the high level roulette dungeons give you a large chunk of exp at the end when you complete since the mobs do noT.

It's separate from the roulette bonus.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Is it worth levelling a crafting class to 30 for desynth if you never intend to level any crafting class higher than that?

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Is it worth levelling a crafting class to 30 for desynth if you never intend to level any crafting class higher than that?

You do know that as soon as you start crafting, you're going to be levelling all of them to the cap, right?

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »

You do know that as soon as you start crafting, you're going to be levelling all of them to the cap, right?

If it weren't for the seeming requirement of cross classing a bunch of things I'd probably level at least one all the way. But I'm a bit too RP minded and there's no way my dude would be doing some of that stuff.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    The bonus they show you in DF is the bonus for the role that is needed. They don't actually show you how much you can get but it's a pretty decent amount.

I believe I got about 200k at lv.56 doing low level roulettes (With +3% EXP food), and thats not counting the EXP from mobs on my way to the boss.

Man, I sure wish that was obvious. I'd have been running the low level roulette every day had I known. I guess I'll start doing that then.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That daily dungeon run for 1 level thing must only apply to Armory EXP because I get about half that running my daily at 47-48.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    What makes low-level roulette so good? The prompt for it in DF makes it look like the "bonus XP" is a pretty negligible chunk of the XP I need to level.

The bonus xp number isn't listed. The up arrow is the indicator of the daily bonus and it's about 50-80k xp, iirc. At least that's what I am remembering getting at 50+. It's a huge amount of xp for the time needed, anyway.

The listed number is only the bare xp amount one gets for completing the low level dungeon. That and there's the adventurer in need bonus.

EDIT: checking the googles shows reports of 140k up to 200k xp for a low level daily bonus. Looks like the xp reward is dependent on the player's level. I'm probably misremembering the number I put up above.

Doing the daily is absolutely worth it.

Pre-Heavensward the Low Level was a flat 50% of the total XP you needed to level.

ie: Say you need 200k total to get to the next level. Regardless of whether you have 0, 80k, 90k, or even 199k out of that 200k the Low Level would give you 100k (50%).

I'm fairly certain that still applies pre-50, but I can safely say it doesn't apply post-50.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    So how's the Dork Knight as a tank? I've played almost exclusively White Mage, got Gladiator up to 18-ish.

It's pretty fun. I've been enjoying the resource and cooldown management aspect of the tank style. It can all go to shit if you mismanage your MP, though. There are two main mechanics. One is keeping the Darkside buff going. It is a 15% damage buff, drains your MP and prevents getting MP back except from your own abilities and is required for several abilities.

The second is Dark Arts. This ability spends a fourth of your MP bar to augment another ability in some way. It adds different special effects to specific abilities. Dark Arts is your MP dump.

In the post 30 dungeons you'll want to have at least one defensive cooldown per trash pack, or so.

There's definitely a lot more going on than with PLD. Not only is MP slowly drained with Darkside, and 1/4th of your MP taken by Dark Arts, but your combos also drain TP. So, there's a ton more resource management going on, with a more fluid ability selection thought process. Do you spam some magic attacks to rebuild TP? Do you simply run through your enmity combo, or do you need to go through your MP/HP siphon combo?

In my experience with PLD, it was basically Halone combo spam until TP became an issue. Flash was a decent use of MP, but there really wasn't much else to do. Shield Swipe when active, Spirits Within and Circle of Scorn when active, but that's it. CD's when necessary.

DRK is a lot more active even at level 44, which is where I'm currently at. The consensus is that the Darkside aura should always be on, so you'll always be draining MP in combat for the damage boost. Blood Weapon should always be up so your attacks generate MP. Even with Blood Weapon, you'll still want to run your Hard Slash -> Siphon Strike -> Soul Eater combo when necessary. There's also the Blood Price CD which generates MP each time you're hit, which is perfect for trash pulls. From there, it's a dance between using MP and rebuilding MP while being mindful of TP.

My biggest complaint right now is that Reprisal is on a 30 second CD, which makes the +parry CD kind of useless. I wish it was like Shield Swipe.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Doesn't blood weapon require you to drop tank stance?

Can you sustain your mp with just the mp drain combo, assuming you have enough enmity on the encounter?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How many character slots does this game have? I'm only on the demo right now and I'm currently unable to choose if I want to play as a cat girl so I don't have to stare at a dude butt or play as a dude so I can make the character more relatable. If I can I'll probably just make two characters but for now the demo only has one character slot.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    You want to toggle the mp drain stance off at the right moments to help boost your mp back up.

But most of the time you can keep it up through abilities.

If someone is just keeping it on all the time, though, that's a lazy tank.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    How many character slots does this game have? I'm only on the demo right now and I'm currently unable to choose if I want to play as a cat girl so I don't have to stare at a dude butt or play as a dude so I can make the character more relatable. If I can I'll probably just make two characters but for now the demo only has one character slot.

It's one to start, you can have up to eight per server in retail version if you opt for a couple bucks more in subscription. Alternatively, you can get a bottle of Fantasia and change the character's appearance.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

There is only one solution.

Make a sexy Cat-Dude.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    You use Blood Price for getting MP back while in your tank stance. The key to Blood Price is to use it when you know you'll be getting hit consistently to get as much MP back as possible.

You can pretty well use the Souleater combo when you have enough of a threat lead to use Dark Arts for boosting Dark Dance and Souleater.

Two Dark Arts augmented Power Slashes will give you a decent threat lead on a boss. You'll also have Carve and Spit at 60 which restores the same MP amount as Syphon Strike without a combo on a 60 second CD.

If you notice the DPS creeping up on threat, another boosted Power Slash or two will curb that off.

Edit: Keeping Darkside running all the time is actually a good thing as you're doing more damage, have access to all of your abilities then and are managing your MP well.

Yukira on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The game encourages sticking with one catgirl.

Character. I mean character.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I shall forever be a regal Blue Nyan. Au Ra are fine and all but nothing compares to the wide range of emotions portrayed, cutscene memories achieved and awesome complementary glamours I've had and continue to have with my character. I couldn't handle changing even for a day.
    The smug grin on cats when completing a dungeon and the little earflicks are what sells the Miq'ote for me.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

It's one to start, you can have up to eight per server in retail version if you opt for a couple bucks more in subscription. Alternatively, you can get a bottle of Fantasia and change the character's appearance.

To clarify;

There are two subscription choices, your standard $15 a month which gives you 8 character slots per server or you can go for $13 a month and have only one character per server.

Unlike most other MMOs there is very, very little reason to have more than one character and honestly the only reason I can see for having two is if you're sharing the account with someone else.

And as @Madican said you can change your appearence whenever you wish by buying (for $10?) a bottle of Fantasia. Also worth noting is that you'll get a bottle for free after your first month as a reward.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Do scholars get any cool looking armor? I'm not a big fan of the level 45 "graduate" look. Are there any sets of gear for Scholars that are super awesome? I guess since 60 is the cap now, I'm mostly interested in if the new level 60 gear for Scholars looks cool.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Well if you're talking about Artifact 2 gear (Gear that only a one Job can equip) they haven't been released yet. As of right now the Lv.60 heal gear is for all the healer jobs.

It's a bit dark, but at 30 seconds in you can see the AF2 gear for Scholar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shLBIItJb1E

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So how's the Dork Knight as a tank? I've played almost exclusively White Mage, got Gladiator up to 18-ish.

It's pretty fun. I've been enjoying the resource and cooldown management aspect of the tank style. It can all go to shit if you mismanage your MP, though. There are two main mechanics. One is keeping the Darkside buff going. It is a 15% damage buff, drains your MP and prevents getting MP back except from your own abilities and is required for several abilities.

The second is Dark Arts. This ability spends a fourth of your MP bar to augment another ability in some way. It adds different special effects to specific abilities. Dark Arts is your MP dump.

In the post 30 dungeons you'll want to have at least one defensive cooldown per trash pack, or so.

I was wondering what the different effects were. I've been mainly using it to power up the last hit in my 1,2,3 combo, and there doesn't seem to be any indication what the effects are.

I've also been wondering what use the MP vulnerability buff has. Is it just to give me extra defense against magical attacks?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Takel wrote: »

If it weren't for the seeming requirement of cross classing a bunch of things I'd probably level at least one all the way. But I'm a bit too RP minded and there's no way my dude would be doing some of that stuff.
    Aye. Same here, thats exactly why I quit crafting and just stuck to stabbing things when I'm not playing cards.

I loved the idea of becoming an armorer but I didn't want to dabble in like eight other professions to get anything done.

Must feel very rewarding for people that really get into the whole deal though. Its like a whole nother game by it's self.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I am absolutely in love with the chestpiece from the Vault on my NIN, especially with THIS HAT.
    ffxiv_dx11%202015-07-02%2012-52-14-55.jpg

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Do scholars get any cool looking armor? I'm not a big fan of the level 45 "graduate" look. Are there any sets of gear for Scholars that are super awesome? I guess since 60 is the cap now, I'm mostly interested in if the new level 60 gear for Scholars looks cool.

SCH AF3 is a bookcoat and tophat with integrated monocle.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

I was wondering what the different effects were. I've been mainly using it to power up the last hit in my 1,2,3 combo, and there doesn't seem to be any indication what the effects are.

I've also been wondering what use the MP vulnerability buff has. Is it just to give me extra defense against magical attacks?

The tool tips will tell you what Dark Arts does to an ability if it affects the ability.

The Dark Mind ability is just 10 seconds of magic damage reduction and is another CD for bosses that deal both magic and physical damage or magic damage only.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

There's definitely a lot more going on than with PLD. Not only is MP slowly drained with Darkside, and 1/4th of your MP taken by Dark Arts, but your combos also drain TP. So, there's a ton more resource management going on, with a more fluid ability selection thought process. Do you spam some magic attacks to rebuild TP? Do you simply run through your enmity combo, or do you need to go through your MP/HP siphon combo?

In my experience with PLD, it was basically Halone combo spam until TP became an issue. Flash was a decent use of MP, but there really wasn't much else to do. Shield Swipe when active, Spirits Within and Circle of Scorn when active, but that's it. CD's when necessary.

DRK is a lot more active even at level 44, which is where I'm currently at. The consensus is that the Darkside aura should always be on, so you'll always be draining MP in combat for the damage boost. Blood Weapon should always be up so your attacks generate MP. Even with Blood Weapon, you'll still want to run your Hard Slash -> Siphon Strike -> Soul Eater combo when necessary. There's also the Blood Price CD which generates MP each time you're hit, which is perfect for trash pulls. From there, it's a dance between using MP and rebuilding MP while being mindful of TP.

My biggest complaint right now is that Reprisal is on a 30 second CD, which makes the +parry CD kind of useless. I wish it was like Shield Swipe.

PLD has gotten a bit more complex - you're now running three combos (Goring Blade, Rage, Royal Authority).

Pretty much in that order.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    RE: Fantasia... Is there also a way to change your name? I can appreciate that I might somehow get bored with being a squee-dorable catgirl and want to switch for a while to being a human hyur, but I chose a very lore-appropriate catgirl name and it would be weird to keep that.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    RE: Fantasia... Is there also a way to change your name? I can appreciate that I might somehow get bored with being a squee-dorable catgirl and want to switch for a while to being a human hyur, but I chose a very lore-appropriate catgirl name and it would be weird to keep that.

You can purchase a name change on the Mogstation for 10 bucks I believe.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    There is a service on the mogstation for a name change. About $10 i think.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I need to buy a realm reborn and heavensword to have the complete version of this game, right?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    So I need to buy a realm reborn and heavensword to have the complete version of this game, right?

Yes. Which they sell in a full package.

• Options
    Astale wrote: »
    You want to toggle the mp drain stance off at the right moments to help boost your mp back up.

But most of the time you can keep it up through abilities.

If someone is just keeping it on all the time, though, that's a lazy tank.

If it increases your damage and you can always sustain MP then why would you toggle it off?

• Options

Yep. If you're just starting out and don't want to be an Au Ra, you can hold off on buying Heavensward. There is a bundle for both, too.

• Options

Yep. If you're just starting out and don't want to be an Au Ra, you can hold off on buying Heavensward. There is a bundle for both, too.

If you're getting started, you're best off getting the bundle.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    For the xp from roulettes discussion make sure to do your guildhest roulette as well. I was getting experience worth roughly 2 MSQ and most of them take less than 5 minutes. It's a solid chunk of xp for almost no effort.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    You can't do any of the Heavensword stuff until you complete ARR + the five updates, so you might as well hold off until you do.

• Options

just mouse over your abilities and it will tell you.

This discussion has been closed.