As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I work with history's greatest monster in the [job] thread.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yes to the first, I guess?

UsagiInfidel
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh hey. My teacher union successfully got me a pretty decent pay increase for next school year. Cool!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

GoldenSeducerchromdomBucketmanYukiraMadEddyPsykomaAl_watJoeUserlonelyahavaKadithSkeithDead LegendThat Dave FellaGnizmopixiecowSassoriVeldrinSorceCimmeriiTofystedethfacetiousbalerbowerDedwrekkaRainfallElbasunuThegreatcowDoctorArchironsizidemasterofmetroidNightDragonmjn6172BlankZoe
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My sister was/is a "freelance writer" but thats a really broad term, what kind of writing?

tynicDrZiplock
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    My sister was/is a "freelance writer" but thats a really broad term, what kind of writing?

I'm not really sure. I'd like to write fiction but journalism also interests me.

So It Goes wrote: »

I'm not really sure. I'd like to write fiction but journalism also interests me.

Ahh okay, thats not the kind of writing my sister does/did (she's between jobs) she did do it for a bit but it was entering writing competitions because from what I understand its very difficult to get that sort of gig unless you have a built up body of work, so she did that in her spare time. She started out as a proof-reader for a translating company, then a content strategist (still writing) and is on her way to becoming a technical writer.

I think if that were something you'd want to do you'd need to build up that body of, funnel your efforts into a particular branch, so short fiction or online articles for news sites that are written in a narrative manner for example.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    has anyone here done a mid-30s career change

also are there any writing freelancers up in?

I'm right here, switching from bartending to office work for about the last two years. Started when I was 35 and I'm 37 now. I still have another potential 30-35 years before I retire, so life isn't over by a damn sight.

JebusUD
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I was a freelance copywriter for a number of years.

It's, uh...an interesting thing.

Usagi
    I've also thought about technical writing, which seems like it could be cool or really awful depending

edited April 2015

Ahh okay, thats not the kind of writing my sister does/did (she's between jobs) she did do it for a bit but it was entering writing competitions because from what I understand its very difficult to get that sort of gig unless you have a built up body of work, so she did that in her spare time. She started out as a proof-reader for a translating company, then a content strategist (still writing) and is on her way to becoming a technical writer.

I think if that were something you'd want to do you'd need to build up that body of, funnel your efforts into a particular branch, so short fiction or online articles for news sites that are written in a narrative manner for example.

Yeah I wouldn't mind editing/proofing to start but I don't have a lot of ideas on how to get into those areas.

So It Goes on

Yeah I wouldn't mind editing/proofing to start but I don't have a lot of ideas on how to get into those areas.

I can ask my sister how she got into it, if you like? The only qualifications she has is a BA in English, the rest was from work experience, and she graduated just as the recession hit which was really unlucky. I know she signed up to various websites and listed herself there as a freelance proof-reader. I'll email her and see what she says!

I can ask my sister how she got into it, if you like? The only qualifications she has is a BA in English, the rest was from work experience, and she graduated just as the recession hit which was really unlucky. I know she signed up to various websites and listed herself there as a freelance proof-reader. I'll email her and see what she says!

Thank you! Feel free to PM. I'd be interested in the websites she used as that might be a good place to start building some work.

Thank you! Feel free to PM. I'd be interested in the websites she used as that might be a good place to start building some work.

Sure - will do! Are you in the UK? If not i'm sure you could find an equivalent.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Why yes, I have. I went from being an engineer to being trans.

Darth Waiter
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular

:bro:

zkHcp.jpg
    webguy20Desert Leviathan
  • JarsJars Registered User regular

are those... exclusionary?

Mojo_JojoBlackbird SR-71CStormwatcher
  • ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Hmm. I would go with Deicide or Cannibal Corpse.

Probably not the best of options in this place. Honestly we shouldn't be listening to music at all since it distracts us from the job of keeping an eye on the inmate clerks.

Whenever I read your posts I wonder if I'm too trusting of the med-eval inmates we get all the time. I've never had an issue with an inmate patient, granted they are usually hobbled, handcuffed to a bed with one to two gun toting guards nearby, but still.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

are those... exclusionary?

Since I haven't had an engineering job since transitioning, I would guess so

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

I would also like to know this actually

I mean, obviously you can't make money from writing fiction any more than you can make money from playing video games, it's not a realistic goal

but I can write and proofread and edit to a high technical standard and I've been trying to figure out how you parlay that into a job somewhere

I'm in academia right now but academia sucks and is terrible so I don't want to stay here indefinitely

also what's a "content strategist"

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I may or may not be able to retain my current job if I am unable to find a job in the field I want with possible extra money maybe?

Which is like so many leaps and bounds above working for free it's awesome, but it's still a shitty situation and I'll be contributing an 8th of what my fiancée makes. And I'm totally 100% cool with her making more than me, just was really hoping all this work and education would pay off with a job that paid more than minimum wage.

Original plan was if I got a job at entry level salary, I'd do whatever I could to make the student debts disappear and live off what she made. Looks like that got pushed back a couple of years.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    So I might be getting a job that pays a lot more and gives me more hours and is in a setting that doesn't suck as much as retail does

The only problem is, I need to actually sit down a write a resume, and I have no clue how to do that

I'm finding the answers for most of my questions online, although I have one very specific problem I can't find a solution for

I worked at the company I'm working for right now for a period a couple of years ago, before taking a break and going to school, working other jobs, etc

Would I list those two work periods as two separate listings chronologically, or just include that previous experience in my description of my employment right now?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    My best guess is that if you're presenting your resume chronologically, like most people do, then yes, list the positions separately

Slacker71EtchwartsJoeUser
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Job thread, I'm in need of some advice.

I work for a company that makes optics, and I've been here since last July. I've really taken to the section that I've worked in up until this point, and I actually enjoy the work there. It's moderately challenging, and it has a lot of variations to it that mean it's never overly repetitive. Now, a couple months ago, I was asked to temporarily go help out in a different section due to the shift leader there having had hand surgery. At the time I was told that I'd be there two to three weeks. That was extended (as I was told) for a few weeks more when that time was up. That's where I still am right now, for the moment.

I find the work in this section extremely tedious and repetitive compared to what I was already excelling at. And during this extension of my working here, I kept picking up on people (namely the boss that sent me over here) phrasing things as if this was a more permanent location for me. I talked to my immediate superior about this and expressed my interest that this not happen, and he said that he'd talk to said boss (who is just slightly above him in terms of rank) about putting me back.

Fast forward a couple weeks to today, and I manage to catch both of them at the same time to talk about what the idea was for my location.

What pretty much wound up happening was that my going over there to help out coincided with the timing that management wanted to introduce someone new to the section. I would be staying over there continuing to get trained and learn and become a part of that area until the major projects they have coming down the pipeline are finished. I asked for a timetable as to how long that would be...

...and about November was the best guess that they could give me. So I kept pressing my desire to stay where I was and the result of the conversation was that I would be moved back to where I was, and they would have to change their plans and find somebody else. Should I change my mind, I just need to say so and things can go back to running smoothly as previously planned. Here's my dilemma:

I could stick to my guns and go back to the work that I have a moderate amount of enjoyment and independence in.

OR

I could go through with their plan, and get a lot of new experience and training under my belt for my job. This would be possibly useful down the line for advancing my position. While I wouldn't immediately like what I'm doing, there's a solid chance that once I fully understand all the processes and everything I'd be comfortable there and not reliant on immediate guidance from someone.

...and I'm not entirely sure what to do. While I'm not sure I'm comfortable realizing that I was being stealth-reassigned, they really gave me the hard sell on advancing my skill set. Although truth be told, It's not like I'm turning down a promotion, just the same pay for less preferable work. But again, I don't want to be seen down the line as the guy who refused to help when he was needed.

Basically I'm just looking for outside opinions on what I should do here? I'm a little lost.

@""So It Goes"
    @""Crimson King"

My sister continues to be The Best, I was expecting a few lines back about websites but she responded with this, I'll post it publicly in case others are wondering, but keep in mind we are in the UK so you'll have to localise some stuff! Spoilered for length!
    1. You need to be really good at proofreading. As obvious as this sounds, each agency will send you a test before they add you to their books and you need to pass this before they'll even consider you. Here are some examples of the sorts of things they'll send you: http://www.sfep.org.uk/pub/train/self_test/index.asp and http://www.copyediting.co.uk/test.htm

2. You need a good, reliable computer. And possibly a printer to print out invoices and other pieces (assuming you've also declared yourself 'self employed', you need to keep meticulous records for your tax return).

3. You may need a bit of money to invest in software. Some companies may ask you use their own in-house software, which can be expensive. You will definitely need Microsoft Word, and will need to know how to use 'track changes'.

4. You need to educate yourself about the various styles of documents you may encounter. For example, are you up-to-date with the latest CV styles? Can you format a business letter? Can you edit a bibliography and references section in an essay?

5. You need to decide on your 'per word' rate. Almost all jobs are paid 'per word'. Therefore, the faster you work, the more jobs you can take on and the better pay you get. However, this has to be without letting errors slip in. A few bad jobs can ruin your reputation with an agency. Also, you need to consider your experience level when deciding a rate; more experienced proofreaders (and those with technical qualifications like lawyers, medical experts) can command a much higher rate. I'd suggest a newbie sets their rate near the bottom to start with. However, not so low that you don't make any money. It's a difficult balance to strike.

6. Unfortunately, and this is the blocker for a lot of newbies, a lot of agencies want previous in-house experience. This is often a minimum of 2 years' freelance experience or 1 year in-house experience.

7. You need the ability to work independently, and often alone. You also need to remember that as a freelancer you get no benefits (like maternity pay, a pension) and no holiday pay.

So, after all that, this is how I would go about getting into freelance proofreading:

1. Fulfil all the criteria above.
    2. Declare myself self-employed for the taxman, and then create a public profile on http://www.proz.com/ This site is for translators mostly, but has job boards for proofreaders and it's a good idea to have a presence on the web. You might also want to join twitter and/or create your own wordpress site. Make it SEO-friendly so you come up on Google.
    3. Sign up to agencies. They will send you their tests, and ask you for a 'per word' rate. You can find the agencies by Googling, although you should definitely first check their reputation (on proz.com, they have a forum for things like this). One word of warning, do not accept any work from an agency called Alpha CRC. They are desperate for freelancers, because they never pay them. I had to chase them for months to get payment from them, and they are often taken to small claims court by irate freelancers.
    4. Sit and wait for jobs to come in. At this point, use this time to brush up your skills and/or do some networking. If you have friends in academia, ask them to spread the word that there's a proofreader they can use. Similarly, post on local forums etc.
    5. Get your first jobs! Complete them, return them, and then invoice the agency (they all do this slightly differently).
    6. Get paid (usually) 30 days after your invoice is processed.
    7. File your invoices meticulously, ready for the tax return at the end of the year.
    8. Slowly build up your reputation and get more jobs.

Honestly, it isn't difficult to get into, it's just a case of committing yourself to doing it. Having said that, I never made my fortune doing it, and I had the in-house experience they often required.

Crismson King I wish I could tell you what a content strategist really is but its super hard to describe, and its a very big company-specific job that involves writing out small print for companies and emails etc.

Hope this helps!

InfidelSlacker71lonelyahavaNija
    edited April 2015
    hmmm @So It Goes @Crimson King try again.

edit: For some reason tags aren't posting how they are typed, sorry!

Liiya on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    THANKS LIIYA

and also liiya's sister

I've got my scholarship to rely on at the moment so it's not a big concern right now but once I graduate I'll probably have to start looking at that kind of thing

I mean, I could get an academic job. or a leprechaun could lead me to his pot of gold! they're about equally likely

LiiyaJebusUD
    Let me know how it goes - I am rooting for you!

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Job thread, I'm in need of some advice.

I work for a company that makes optics, and I've been here since last July. I've really taken to the section that I've worked in up until this point, and I actually enjoy the work there. It's moderately challenging, and it has a lot of variations to it that mean it's never overly repetitive. Now, a couple months ago, I was asked to temporarily go help out in a different section due to the shift leader there having had hand surgery. At the time I was told that I'd be there two to three weeks. That was extended (as I was told) for a few weeks more when that time was up. That's where I still am right now, for the moment.

I find the work in this section extremely tedious and repetitive compared to what I was already excelling at. And during this extension of my working here, I kept picking up on people (namely the boss that sent me over here) phrasing things as if this was a more permanent location for me. I talked to my immediate superior about this and expressed my interest that this not happen, and he said that he'd talk to said boss (who is just slightly above him in terms of rank) about putting me back.

Fast forward a couple weeks to today, and I manage to catch both of them at the same time to talk about what the idea was for my location.

What pretty much wound up happening was that my going over there to help out coincided with the timing that management wanted to introduce someone new to the section. I would be staying over there continuing to get trained and learn and become a part of that area until the major projects they have coming down the pipeline are finished. I asked for a timetable as to how long that would be...

...and about November was the best guess that they could give me. So I kept pressing my desire to stay where I was and the result of the conversation was that I would be moved back to where I was, and they would have to change their plans and find somebody else. Should I change my mind, I just need to say so and things can go back to running smoothly as previously planned. Here's my dilemma:

I could stick to my guns and go back to the work that I have a moderate amount of enjoyment and independence in.

OR

I could go through with their plan, and get a lot of new experience and training under my belt for my job. This would be possibly useful down the line for advancing my position. While I wouldn't immediately like what I'm doing, there's a solid chance that once I fully understand all the processes and everything I'd be comfortable there and not reliant on immediate guidance from someone.

...and I'm not entirely sure what to do. While I'm not sure I'm comfortable realizing that I was being stealth-reassigned, they really gave me the hard sell on advancing my skill set. Although truth be told, It's not like I'm turning down a promotion, just the same pay for less preferable work. But again, I don't want to be seen down the line as the guy who refused to help when he was needed.

Basically I'm just looking for outside opinions on what I should do here? I'm a little lost.

If you agree to stay until 'November,' just be aware that you will most likely be staying in that department for the foreseeable future. From a management perspective, if they take the time to train a new person in a position and they were looking to permanently fill that position (which is what it sounds like), it would be a waste to transfer that person back out of that department only a few months down the line.

So I suppose the question is, are you all right with being permanently reassigned to this new department? Because that is what is happening here, even if management is oddly unwilling to talk plainly with you about it.

Farangutynica5ehrenRayzeUsagiSlacker71Donovan PuppyfuckerFishmanRainfallSmrtnikmjn6172
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I think I might be allergic to my allergy medicine. Going to not take it tonight and see how I fair. It can not be any worse than last night,

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My day so far:

e537vfkdmqpv.jpg

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    Librarian's ghostInfidelUsagiMojo_Jojomjn6172
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2015
    Today (of all days) was not the day I wanted to hear about my (white, Cornish, monocultural) colleague's views on racial representation in entertainment media.

We were waiting for everyone else at the front of the supermarket at lunch, and they had a big poster up for the DVD release of Annie, and you could just SEE the wheels turning. And I'm thinking no no no please no-

"You know what, I don't like it when they remake things just to be more politically correct."
    Oh boy.
    "Like, the way I see it, surely it's MORE racist to like, change Annie to black, because then like, you've made it a thing?"
    I do try and push back at this shit when possible, so: "Ignoring race isn't the same as being anti-racist, because it is very much a thing that impacts people's lives. Being 'colorblind' is actually just reinforcing the status quo."
    Him: "yeah! Exactly!"
    oy.

tynic on
    MadEddy wrote: »
    My day so far:

e537vfkdmqpv.jpg

I regularly say this to students when they are eating in the library. I said it once and a kid from across the room shouted, "Phrasing!" I gave him a high five.

N1tSt4lkerMadEddyTheStigSorceDarth WaiterSporkAndrewVegemyteInfidelDead LegendGilbert0UsagiSlacker71chromdomworksintheoryDonovan PuppyfuckerSkeithIronKnuckle's GhostGoldenSeducerFishmanNijaRainfallCalicaThegreatcowmasterofmetroidOdinmjn6172Iloveslimes
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    We have not had a full weekend off since Easter; we've been working six day weeks every week beginning the 6th.

Went in to work last night and saw the monthly work schedule for May.

We will continue to not get a full weekend off until Memorial Day, which will be cut down from the usual three-day weekend to two. There are notes on a couple of Saturdays saying that we will be getting double pay for working those days*.

When we come back in the day after Memorial Day, we work 11 days without a break.

Since I'm night shift (11-7), and I have to come in three hours early every Sunday for startups, that means by the time we get off the morning of the 23rd, I will have been at work at least four hours a day for 49 days.

*This is a lie. Its sole purpose is to keep people from laying out or taking vacation. We have been promised double pay for ridiculous work schedules many times before, even in the short time I've been here, only for the company president to renege on the deal after we pull the hours. Nobody but the current crop of newbies believes we will see any extra pay for this.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Are there any legit, not gross ways to make money from home? I can't seem to find a job that pays better at the moment so if there was a way just to get an extra $100ish a week I would jump on it (or a full time at home thing if it paid well). We're just trying to finish paying off some naughty line items on the credit report to get a house and I'd like to speed it up a little bit without losing my time with my wife and kid that much.

I'm a former high school math teacher, currently do tech/customer support with some access/vb stuff in that role.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Today (of all days) was not the day I wanted to hear about my (white, Cornish, monocultural) colleague's views on racial representation in entertainment media.

We were waiting for everyone else at the front of the supermarket at lunch, and they had a big poster up for the DVD release of Annie, and you could just SEE the wheels turning. And I'm thinking no no no please no-

"You know what, I don't like it when they remake things just to be more politically correct."
    Oh boy.
    "Like, the way I see it, surely it's MORE racist to like, change Annie to black, because then like, you've made it a thing?"
    I do try and push back at this shit when possible, so: "Ignoring race isn't the same as being anti-racist, because it is very much a thing that impacts people's lives. Being 'colorblind' is actually just reinforcing the status quo."
    Him: "yeah! Exactly!"
    oy.

you should ask him about The Wiz

ikbUJdU.jpg
    tynicUsagiSlacker71Donovan Puppyfucker
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    We have not had a full weekend off since Easter; we've been working six day weeks every week beginning the 6th.

We will continue to not get a full weekend off until Memorial Day, which will be cut down from the usual three-day weekend to two. There are notes on a couple of Saturdays saying that we will be getting double pay for working those days*.

When we come back in the day after Memorial Day, we work 11 days without a break.

Since I'm night shift (11-7), and I have to come in three hours early every Sunday for startups, that means by the time we get off the morning of the 23rd, I will have been at work at least four hours a day for 49 days.

*This is a lie. Its sole purpose is to keep people from laying out or taking vacation. We have been promised double pay for ridiculous work schedules many times before, even in the short time I've been here, only for the company president to renege on the deal after we pull the hours. Nobody but the current crop of newbies believes we will see any extra pay for this.

This sounds super illegal.

KwoarutynicFlarneSorceDarth WaiterNocrenDis'VegemyteYukiraJebusUDpixiecowSlacker71AngelinaDonovan PuppyfuckerstopgapSkeithHefflingGoldenSeducerCrimson KingFishmanGizzylonelyahavaNijaCalicaDisruptedCapitalistThegreatcowironsizidemasterofmetroidNightDragonOdinmjn6172Iloveslimes
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

This sounds super illegal.

My guess would be unless it's in writing in a contract between employee and employer it's not

because

America.

zkHcp.jpg
    Donovan PuppyfuckerGoldenSeducerlonelyahava
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    It actually is illegal in the US, because an employer can't retroactively change your rate of pay for work you've already done. But that is only one of many illegal things his employers are up to, so I doubt they care.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    Darth WaiterNobodyInfidelTofystedethUsagiSlacker71chromdomDonovan PuppyfuckerDarkPrimusBluedude152SkeithHefflingGoldenSeducerFishmanlonelyahavaNijaironsizidemasterofmetroidNightDragonmjn6172
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Man, I hope you get a new job sometime soon and then immediately call the DoL and OSHA and all other appropriate agencies' whistleblower lines, put on sunglasses, and moonwalk the fuck out of there.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
    DidgeridooDarth WaiterSlacker71Donovan PuppyfuckerIronKnuckle's GhostGoldenSeducerlonelyahavamasterofmetroidNightDragonmjn6172
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The "workaround" that I mentioned yesterday? It wasn't a workaround at all. Our engineers didn't have to do anything to make the new software work with the old equipment. The new software was always compatible with the old equipment.

They misread the patch notes.

They misread the patch notes, but identified their error a few days later, in June of 2014.

They misread the patch notes, identified their error in June of 2014, and told me about it yesterday, only by accident.

Excuse me job thread, I'm going to go out into the parking lot and punch a hole to the molten core of the earth, so a new volcano can wash us all away to Hell.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    jgeisSlacker71Donovan PuppyfuckerGoldenSeducerFishmana5ehrenDisruptedCapitalistThegreatcowdestroyah87NightDragonmjn6172
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The "workaround" that I mentioned yesterday? It wasn't a workaround at all. Our engineers didn't have to do anything to make the new software work with the old equipment. The new software was always compatible with the old equipment.

They misread the patch notes.

They misread the patch notes, but identified their error a few days later, in June of 2014.

They misread the patch notes, identified their error in June of 2014, and told me about it yesterday, only by accident.

Excuse me job thread, I'm going to go out into the parking lot and punch a hole to the molten core of the earth, so a new volcano can wash us all away to Hell.

wild guess? somebody at the company made money off of the new hardware being purchased. that's why it happened not because of aggressive stupidity.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    pixiecowDarth WaiterSlacker71Donovan PuppyfuckerGoldenSeducerDisruptedCapitalistThegreatcowdestroyah87
This discussion has been closed.