As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I work with history's greatest monster in the [job] thread.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I've always wanted to bodysurf on a lake of fire and brimstone.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2015
    tynic wrote: »
    Today (of all days) was not the day I wanted to hear about my (white, Cornish, monocultural) colleague's views on racial representation in entertainment media.

We were waiting for everyone else at the front of the supermarket at lunch, and they had a big poster up for the DVD release of Annie, and you could just SEE the wheels turning. And I'm thinking no no no please no-

"You know what, I don't like it when they remake things just to be more politically correct."
    Oh boy.
    "Like, the way I see it, surely it's MORE racist to like, change Annie to black, because then like, you've made it a thing?"
    I do try and push back at this shit when possible, so: "Ignoring race isn't the same as being anti-racist, because it is very much a thing that impacts people's lives. Being 'colorblind' is actually just reinforcing the status quo."
    Him: "yeah! Exactly!"
    oy.

My position on the Annie thing is I can't conceivably understand why the fuck anyone felt the need to remake Annie. There was actually a similar conversation between myself and a family member when we saw the poster at the theater pre-release. He, being a typical Texas good ole boy, went for the low-hanging fruit and bitched about the race change. I was annoyed that the movie even existed.

cr0w on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    We have not had a full weekend off since Easter; we've been working six day weeks every week beginning the 6th.

Went in to work last night and saw the monthly work schedule for May.

We will continue to not get a full weekend off until Memorial Day, which will be cut down from the usual three-day weekend to two. There are notes on a couple of Saturdays saying that we will be getting double pay for working those days*.

When we come back in the day after Memorial Day, we work 11 days without a break.

Since I'm night shift (11-7), and I have to come in three hours early every Sunday for startups, that means by the time we get off the morning of the 23rd, I will have been at work at least four hours a day for 49 days.

*This is a lie. Its sole purpose is to keep people from laying out or taking vacation. We have been promised double pay for ridiculous work schedules many times before, even in the short time I've been here, only for the company president to renege on the deal after we pull the hours. Nobody but the current crop of newbies believes we will see any extra pay for this.

Cellphone -> Photo -> Paycheck -> Photo -> Somewhere safe

I understand you want your job but just start recording this kind of shit in a provable way. Worst case you make life better for the people when you leave, best case it gives you solid leverage when they try and fuck you over.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm offended that they decided that "Benjamin Stacks" wasn't a great name for the rich guy and changed it to something else.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Whoever left less than a cup's worth of coffee in the pot so they didn't have to make more is a terrible person and I hope they know that. If they're the same person that left one second on the microwave instead of hitting the stop/reset button, they might be literally Hitler.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't like coffee but people at work get cute with the machines and cram as much as the little filter cup will hold I think two bags worth
    So you get this black sludge and you see the coffee pot in the sink in the lunch room soaking often

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The people in this office have an amazing ability to fuck up the Keurig daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I have no idea how it happens. Fill the reservoir, put the cup in, hit the button, remove the cup, drink your shit. Then again, these are the same people that, after being shown multiple times, still can't figure out which of the two cords on the back of their monitor is the power cord. They could fuck up an anvil.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    There is a 6 hour meeting booked today called 'managing within the law'.

I think... I think I'm gonna pass.

If I break the law at any point I assume someone will let me know.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Day 2 of being back at work is done and so far it's nice. I got a new contract because apparently my company pays for child care (I never knew).

And also I got a new student worker. We interviewed him yesterday and he starts Monday. It's gonna be interesting, my last student was studying the field the project was in (maps, he did a kind of geography degree) but had basically no knowledge of programming. This new one has already worked as a programmer before he came to Germany to get his masters but he doesn't have much experience in the subject matter.

The other way around would have been better, because the last project was very hands on and this is more theoretical but if I can offload all programming to him, that frees up a bunch of time for other projects for me.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    The "workaround" that I mentioned yesterday? It wasn't a workaround at all. Our engineers didn't have to do anything to make the new software work with the old equipment. The new software was always compatible with the old equipment.

They misread the patch notes.

They misread the patch notes, but identified their error a few days later, in June of 2014.

They misread the patch notes, identified their error in June of 2014, and told me about it yesterday, only by accident.

Excuse me job thread, I'm going to go out into the parking lot and punch a hole to the molten core of the earth, so a new volcano can wash us all away to Hell.

wild guess? somebody at the company made money off of the new hardware being purchased. that's why it happened not because of aggressive stupidity.

On the other hand if it is aggressive stupidity can I have that guy's job after he packs his stuff up

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Whoever left less than a cup's worth of coffee in the pot so they didn't have to make more is a terrible person and I hope they know that. If they're the same person that left one second on the microwave instead of hitting the stop/reset button, they might be literally Hitler.

I'm sorry about the microwave. I had to get my fish out of the microwave while it was still hot.

• Options
    You monster.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'm offended that they decided that "Benjamin Stacks" wasn't a great name for the rich guy and changed it to something else.

At my old public library branch we had a safe that we'd lock up the register money in every night since we were the busiest branch and we made a sizable amount of money each day. The safe had a key and we decided to lock the key up separately in an empty staff locker. All the lockers had names of employees on them, so to make it blend in I convinced everyone to put the name Benjamin Stacks on it.

I happened to be back there recently and the locker is still named that after almost ten years.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    In allergy related news, they were so bad last night that I feel mostly dead due to lack of sleep and head congestion. I think I'm going to stop on the way home from work and buy one of those true-hepa room purifiers.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I'm gonna call Daniel Day Lewis because There Will Be Blood.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

I'm gonna call Patrick Dempsey, Loverboy

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I resemble that remark.

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I resemble that remark.

Take me now.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    And Geth too, I guess

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hot Deedubs on moon on robutt action

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That's no moon.

sig.gif
  • Options
    :winky:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    We just got approval to open up a position on my team.

If there are any Javascript/Front-End/Web developers out there that live in Minneapolis looking for a job, PM me!

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I don't like coffee but people at work get cute with the machines and cram as much as the little filter cup will hold I think two bags worth
    So you get this black sludge and you see the coffee pot in the sink in the lunch room soaking often

Used to always have to dump out and remake the coffee first thing when I got in because of people doing this. Also people using like four filters because they think it's gonna up the quality of the office coffee.

• Options
    Why do people have to make coffee difficult?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Why do people have to make coffee difficult?

lets ask Abracadaniel and find out

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    They are trying to take turds and turn it into lemonade

Instead it is just turdwater

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

Yeah, that's illegal. You just broke the law. Will you turn yourself in to the authorities, or do they need to send a car out for you?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

As someone who recently got managed outside the law, because my manager was too lazy to read the law and get a second opinion on his interpretation of it, I actually think this is super-important. Maybe not 6 hours of it, but what was done to me (and people like @korodullin) is, frankly, worthy of a lawsuit and 1) there's no requirement that employees inform someone informally that if they don't stop doing something a lawsuit will be filed, and 2) putting the onus of that communication on someone's employees in the first place is pretty shitty.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    there's only 6 more week of school left

I'm more excited than the kids

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Ive been doing a lot of this kind of training recently and the most important thing i gleaned from it is that you can be personally named in a lawsuit against the company.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I just left the dentist.

Did you know they can drill/fill a cavity without anesthetic if it's small enough?

It was painless. It was also terrifying.

Quoting from the first page, but had to quote this because this was literally my exact experience today. Sat in fear through the whole thing. I'm not afraid of the dentist at all but coming at me with a drill and you "think" I don't need anesthetic....aaaarrrgh

On a job related note, I mentioned to my boss that someone had talked to me about another position. Did this just before I left for the dentist. Come back to find my boss had gone to her boss, and they had started a flurry of emails about it with the other parties. None of which I asked to be done, and had only stated that I was going to talk to the other party to see if I had interest.

So, got to spend the rest of the morning apologizing to the other person because what I thought was a quick side comment had turned into a waste of 30 mins to 1 hour of their life explaining things to my bosses boss that didn't need explained yet, given I haven't even said I'm interested in the other position.

High five work efficiency!

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Today we had Ethics training. Every year it's the same. We are shown a video containing multiple ethics violations, we discuss it with the entire group, and I learn by listening to my coworkers answers that even the most unassuming, normal looking of them can have no idea how to business ethics.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Today we had Ethics training. Every year it's the same. We are shown a video containing multiple ethics violations, we discuss it with the entire group, and I learn by listening to my coworkers answers that even the most unassuming, normal looking of them can have no idea how to business ethics.

Sounds like some of the teachers here during the annual training on sexual harrassment.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    hippofant wrote: »

As someone who recently got managed outside the law, because my manager was too lazy to read the law and get a second opinion on his interpretation of it, I actually think this is super-important. Maybe not 6 hours of it, but what was done to me (and people like @korodullin) is, frankly, worthy of a lawsuit and 1) there's no requirement that employees inform someone informally that if they don't stop doing something a lawsuit will be filed, and 2) putting the onus of that communication on someone's employees in the first place is pretty shitty.

To be sure!

To clarify my poorly-phrased comment, though, I have had legal training! Many times. I know the employment law in this province better than anyone else at the company, as I take my role extremely seriously. As for the latter comment, I was not seriously putting the onus on my employees to inform me if I had broken the law (that was more intended as an 'I know HR will let me know when they fire me'), but I understand how that could be interpreted that way.

My original comment was going to be 'I suppose I'll know if I've broken the law when I'm hauled off in front of a dozen cameras' but that seemed inaccurate and unlikely. Specifically, the laws I would expect myself to inadvertently break would be somehow becoming entangled in insider trading and since I'm intensely cautious about that sort of thing, it seemed unlikely.

EDIT: Anyways! Sorry if my comment came across as insensitive. It was more a frustrated reaction to having most of my days taken up by meetings that, while well-intentioned, are ultimately pointless and cover material that is then sent out to us in Powerpoint/website form. I very much want to make sure I manage within the law, but since becoming a manager it seems I spend way more time in meetings that really don't do anything useful than I do helping my team or actually making content, and I see that without this context, that post comes off as a little jerkish!

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Today I learned how to Gantt my backlog.

This is not, in fact, as dirty as it sounds (though apparently Urban Dictionary disagrees).

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    While I was in back booth today a lady came through the drivethru that had lost let's say 90% of her speaking voice. I'm not sure how she expected that to work.

Still not as annoying as the lady who can't hear but still gets mad at me because I "didn't tell her the total"

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

To be sure!

To clarify my poorly-phrased comment, though, I have had legal training! Many times. I know the employment law in this province better than anyone else at the company, as I take my role extremely seriously. As for the latter comment, I was not seriously putting the onus on my employees to inform me if I had broken the law (that was more intended as an 'I know HR will let me know when they fire me'), but I understand how that could be interpreted that way.

My original comment was going to be 'I suppose I'll know if I've broken the law when I'm hauled off in front of a dozen cameras' but that seemed inaccurate and unlikely. Specifically, the laws I would expect myself to inadvertently break would be somehow becoming entangled in insider trading and since I'm intensely cautious about that sort of thing, it seemed unlikely.

EDIT: Anyways! Sorry if my comment came across as insensitive. It was more a frustrated reaction to having most of my days taken up by meetings that, while well-intentioned, are ultimately pointless and cover material that is then sent out to us in Powerpoint/website form. I very much want to make sure I manage within the law, but since becoming a manager it seems I spend way more time in meetings that really don't do anything useful than I do helping my team or actually making content, and I see that without this context, that post comes off as a little jerkish!

The meetings are so that HR can say that even the lazy geese who never read the emails/powerpoints/PDFs have had training. It's purely a butt covering measure. It's annoying as hell to be sure.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    It's butt-covering, yeah, but it also means that people can't claim that they didn't know any better, which can make big difference in dealing extralegal managers down the line.

That said, if it's taking six hours and you're not getting anything out of it that you can't get from the powerpoint, then your organization really needs to take a look at how they do training.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's butt-covering, yeah, but it also means that people can't claim that they didn't know any better, which can make big difference in dealing extralegal managers down the line.

That said, if it's taking six hours and you're not getting anything out of it that you can't get from the powerpoint, then your organization really needs to take a look at how they do training.

Guys let's have a meeting about increasing meeting productivity.

This discussion has been closed.