As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I work with history's greatest monster in the [job] thread.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My accrued leave total has just punched through the > 10 week barrier.

Fortunately because this release testing turned into a total clusterfuck my manager hasn't bugged me about taking days off in weeks.

Unfortunately this release testing has turned into a total clusterfuck so I'm up to my eyeballs in backlog.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »
    It's butt-covering, yeah, but it also means that people can't claim that they didn't know any better, which can make big difference in dealing extralegal managers down the line.

That said, if it's taking six hours and you're not getting anything out of it that you can't get from the powerpoint, then your organization really needs to take a look at how they do training.

Guys let's have a meeting about increasing meeting productivity.

Don't forget to synergize your paradigms.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    It's butt-covering, yeah, but it also means that people can't claim that they didn't know any better, which can make big difference in dealing extralegal managers down the line.

That said, if it's taking six hours and you're not getting anything out of it that you can't get from the powerpoint, then your organization really needs to take a look at how they do training.

Unless you're aligning core strengths vis-a-vis performance on a holistic basis, it's all for naught.

(Honestly I love my job 99% of the time. Just that 1% that seems to pop up in groups that drives me up the wall)

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Yes, we must have an upflow increase in positive workflow integration.

Yukira wrote: »

I have read that e-mail.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    There should be a difference between meetings and classes, anyway. Like, if you are using a typical meeting-type structure for training, then you just wind up with overlong meetings and less effective training.

I didn't realize I had opinions about this.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    There should be a difference between meetings and classes, anyway. Like, if you are using a typical meeting-type structure for training, then you just wind up with overlong meetings and less effective training.

I didn't realize I had opinions about this.

I once went to a three day management 'class', essentially. It was actually super useful! It had discussions about various personality types and how they affect your ability to manage and lead teams effectively. At the end of it, I felt like it was a good use of my time. It also, importantly, was scheduled around the various projects' needs and ensured we weren't in a situation where we absolutely needed to be in the office instead of at training.

Today was a 'meeting', in structure and in format, and was booked over at least two meetings I absolutely needed to be at - and one of -those- was specifically a manager only thing.

On the bright side, two of my promotion recommendations are being taken. So hooray!

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    That's another thing. Training should generally be arranged around operations, not vice versa.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I spotted my boss, his supervisor and another of my coworkers meet with a stranger at my facility today.

My boss didn't let me know he'd stopping by and didn't swing by to say hi even though he knew I was working at that time.

Afterward I had to go say hi before heading home.

They are most likely interviewing for my replacement.

Awesome.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I think the best move now is for next week for me to put in my two-week notice and start alerting friends to my upcoming unemployment in hopes they know of any job openings.

Zonugal on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I disagree; let your friends know, and be searching, but put off your resignation as long as possible.

I had a friend alert me to an opening for a summer day camp position close to where I live.

I'd get to work with her (she's awesome) and I'd likely make more money doing it.

So hopefully that works out!

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    I disagree; let your friends know, and be searching, but put off your resignation as long as possible.

Don't resign. If you resign, you probably are not eligible for unemployment. Let them fire you.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think the best move now is for next week for me to put in my two-week notice and start alerting friends to my upcoming unemployment in hopes they know of any job openings.

are you saying that because you think/know they're actually planning to let you go? because if so yeah, do what kako said and make them fire you. get that sweet, sweet unemployment

Houk wrote: »

are you saying that because you think/know they're actually planning to let you go? because if so yeah, do what kako said and make them fire you. get that sweet, sweet unemployment

My boss let me know in March this was likely coming unless a miracle happened.

So, I wouldn't be able to get unemployment if I quit?

Huh...

I've never been fired or gone on unemployment, so this is news for me.

Yeah, you can't get it if you quit. You generally can if you get fired, except in cases of gross misconduct.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Just got told today that our unit is merging "temporarily" with the department's Freedom of Information unit.

aka literally everyone else is too scared to touch it so it gets dumped on us by default

It was actually a little terrifying watching the life drain out of the eyes of everyone in the room as the news was broken.

• Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular

Huh...

The best answer when filling out your application for unemployment is "lack of work".

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    @Usagi
    I'm amazed that tug craft aren't fitted with giant flashy adverts for incoming ships for local bars/restaurants along with giant vocal repeater speakers advising to make sure to carry passports ashore.

"We're being placed into berth by SS Hooters/Chilis/Todd Handy's Handy Hook & Look dance arena."

Weaver on

Huh...

Even if you're laid off for no fault of your own, be prepared to have to do some email/phone tag with an unemployment court. It works like this- You get laid off, you file for unemployment. The state contacts the employer, employer says "oh yeah {employee} was a right shit so we fired them."

So then you have to file a case and hope your previous employer doesn't try to fabricate stuff or just no-shows to the court date.

I had to go through this with Seattle Children's Hospital when they did their cutbacks during the collapse. They tried to flood the judge with fabricated paperwork and then no-showed the trial. I won.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    However, getting fired looks bad when going for another job. Much better to have resigned when getting that next gig, and the one after that.

It depends. Some places will specifically ask if you've ever resigned to avoid being fired, and will treat it the same as you getting fired. It's a situation with no good choices, just ones that may be more or less awful depending on your circumstances.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    However, getting fired looks bad when going for another job. Much better to have resigned when getting that next gig, and the one after that.

Eh, it depends. If you're fired for cause it might be an issue. But I've never seen anyone have problems when they were fired because of a headcount reduction or the facility shut down.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Huh...

Even if you're laid off for no fault of your own, be prepared to have to do some email/phone tag with an unemployment court. It works like this- You get laid off, you file for unemployment. The state contacts the employer, employer says "oh yeah {employee} was a right shit so we fired them."

So then you have to file a case and hope your previous employer doesn't try to fabricate stuff or just no-shows to the court date.

I had to go through this with Seattle Children's Hospital when they did their cutbacks during the collapse. They tried to flood the judge with fabricated paperwork and then no-showed the trial. I won.

... you mean the hospital we all send games to as part of Child's Play? :confused:

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I'm at kind of a late crossroads in life. I have no idea what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I've been in school off and on since 2006. I started off undeclared, and was scared off tech work and leaned into Nursing. Unfortunately the school I went was a fucking mess. Circulium changed twice while I was prenursing causing me extra semesters, I had some awful professor (include one who spoke maybe a dozen words of english, this is not an exaggeration) and was recently told by the new head of the nursing department that she didn't think I can cut the bachelors program at that school. Ok fine. So I decided to change school and get my Associates, its still a fine degree and I can earn my bachelors later. Except now I've lost my job and I can't seem to find anything that would allow me to goto school while still paying bills.

So I have 2 possible offers that are coming up, but both are 9-5 jobs, I can't do that and nursing school because of clinical classes. So my fall back would be work one of these jobs, which while they offer good pay I would be stuck doing factory work...and I really don't want to do that forever, while I earn a degree thats offered through my school online. These are mostly tech degrees and hey I love that stuff....but I have no idea how useful an associates in say Server Administration, Network Administration, Database Management or Software Development would be. I've been hearing varying things from people I know.

Ideally I could work somewhere and finish nursing school, but so far none of the jobs are going to allow that. So I'm wondering, what you guys do in this situation? Anyone in the know, how useful/useless would one of those tech associates degrees be? How fucked am I?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give.

hippofant wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

Huh...

... you mean the hospital we all send games to as part of Child's Play? :confused:

Yep. HR departments gonna HR.

• GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    So, here's a thing about resumé fonts.

Don't use comic sans.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Don't use comic sans.

SHIT!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    but the cat picture with the IM IN UR BIZNS APPLYING FOR UR JOB caption is still en vogue, yes?

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Don't use comic sans.

SHIT!

• VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    i'm doing relief work tomorrow at an actual high school with actual students and actual teachers!

this is the first time i've taught since i finished my degree over a year ago now! i'm really nervous!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    They are going to eat you alive.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I took this week off from work.
    I know full well when I go back I will be told the horrors of how bad it got without me and who quit.
    It's just one of those things that annoys me to no end they are so entitled and unappreciative of what a few people do for them.
    It's no wonder why people run off to the other stores or away from this store so often.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    the font on my resume is Wing Dings. Clearly the most professional font.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Look folks, if you're not presenting your resume with blue font on a red background then you don't even deserve a job.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Using Times New Roman is the typeface equivalent of wearing sweatpants to an interview

Pretty sure I used Times New Roman on my resume.

But then, sweatpants would be perfectly acceptable attire at my workplace.

broken image link
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    what?

Everything I've done for the past 5 years has required times new roman. Why stop at the resume?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Do what the pros do, invent your own font.

Make sure to put font-building on your 'skills' list.

This discussion has been closed.