As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I work with history's greatest monster in the [job] thread.

145791099

Posts

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I'm on a spirit quest to find the elusive Seventh Sigma

    Bill Lumbergh Is the gatekeeper.

    Are you the Keymaster?

    I am the Keymaster. In the Steam Battle game on the forums.

  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Six sigma is just basic statistical process control. The idea is to measure and analyse your process outputs and inputs and attempt to minimize the sources of variability and defect sources in the process.

    It works great when you're dealing with a repeatable process that's performed a large number of times, like a manufacturing line.

    When you completely drink the koolaid and start trying to apply it other processes, it doesn't work as well.

    Is also tends to make people spend more time looking for reducing variability in a process rather than improving the robustness of a process.

    And if you try to apply it to a process that has a non-normally distributed output, it breaks down.

    Six Sigma is a hammer in a world of nails and screws. I hate Six Sigma consultants. The last one kept saying "accept the null hypothesis" even though he admitted it wasn't correct. He just said it because that version was easier for business majors to understand and he couldn't properly explain the concept behind it. His words, not mine.

    Now I have Six Sigma idiots at work. They get two lots the customer says are different, test them, and then claim they are equal to each other because they have "failed to prove" the lots are different.

    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Almost had a breakdown today at work. My boss called out, so I had to do some of the things he does. Then I thought one other, critical, person was going to call out. She was late, and I started assuming the worst. When she showed up, I almost cried. I can cover for her or my boss, but not both. But it worked out. couldn't really calm all the way down after that, though.

    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I guess the supervisor "Likes the way I roll hogs". Which confused me, until I realized

    They've had dozens of people come through. Each one makes it through the first day of training and then vanishes into the ether, never to be seen again.

    So, less liking the way I work, and more happy I keep showing up. I don't have the heart to tell him if a career thing works out in August I'ma bounce. Which is also about the time I go from temp worker to proper IPC employee.

  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Sitting in the Starbucks in the floor below where I work, passing time before I head in.

    There's a really, really high person arguing with security. She's not really using coherent English, and she's yelling that the security guard is trying to steal her chair. She looks barely able to stand. For her part, the security guard is being really polite and trying to descalate the situation with the person yelling about how she needs that chair because the other chairs are all wrong and the guard is just trying to take her chair. The guard is trying to give the high person her hat back, but the high person suspects that the guard has done something with it. The guard also looks to be trying to get the high woman to maybe get some medical help.

    Thank you, God, for reminding me how great my office job is in comparison to those of some other people.

    That actually sounds pretty OK compared to some of the conversations I have to have in my job.

  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    I guess the supervisor "Likes the way I roll hogs". Which confused me, until I realized

    They've had dozens of people come through. Each one makes it through the first day of training and then vanishes into the ether, never to be seen again.

    So, less liking the way I work, and more happy I keep showing up. I don't have the heart to tell him if a career thing works out in August I'ma bounce. Which is also about the time I go from temp worker to proper IPC employee.

    Well, you have definitely got me beat as far as strangest professional compliments go.

    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    I don't know about Six Sigma, but agile can work, if you embrace what that means. Trying to take a pre-existing corporate culture and making it agile, though, I'm not so sure that's possible. You need to start from the ground up, with the entire business on board. If you find a place which is on board, though, it's satisfying: part of being agile is everyone has agency.

  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Very quickly discovering why I was strongly advised to delegate more of my work.

    I feel really bad doing that because I hate giving people more work to do, but good lord. There is a lot of overhead in my day now.

    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Very quickly discovering why I was strongly advised to delegate more of my work.

    I feel really bad doing that because I hate giving people more work to do, but good lord. There is a lot of overhead in my day now.

    It has been the single hardest thing I've had to do since becoming a supervisor. It's even harder because we're still a small company so not everything is documented yet, so training is a lot harder than it should be.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's awesome seeing my friend who quit last week again. He actually looks.. *gasp* HAPPY!

    God I want to burn down the walls of my establishment and build things back up.

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    18 months to find work. Now the property isnt renewing the lease. Up at the end of next month.

    If I work 7am to 9pm for the full month I might have enough money to move the family.

    70 hour work weeks here I come I guess.

  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So, I found out why exactly we're working so much in May.

    This month, April, we ran around 3000 MT of product across all our wire types.

    In May, our EXCELLENTLY PERFORMING sales department has booked us to sell 4300 MT... of a single wire diameter... along with all the rest of the wire we produce.

    Bear in mind that we worked in April like we'll be working in May.

    When our production manager started talking to our customers, telling them that the amount of orders our sales department has placed are literally more than we are capable of producing, the company president chewed his ass, told him that he does not give a fuck how much we work, and to simply "handle it."

    korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    I guess the supervisor "Likes the way I roll hogs". Which confused me, until I realized

    They've had dozens of people come through. Each one makes it through the first day of training and then vanishes into the ether, never to be seen again.

    So, less liking the way I work, and more happy I keep showing up. I don't have the heart to tell him if a career thing works out in August I'ma bounce. Which is also about the time I go from temp worker to proper IPC employee.

    Well, you have definitely got me beat as far as strangest professional compliments go.

    it's impossible for me to imagine this in any other voice than that of a fat Texan in a cowboy hat

    "ah like the way ya roll hogs, boy. ya gotta reeeeal knack fer it"

  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    I guess the supervisor "Likes the way I roll hogs". Which confused me, until I realized

    They've had dozens of people come through. Each one makes it through the first day of training and then vanishes into the ether, never to be seen again.

    So, less liking the way I work, and more happy I keep showing up. I don't have the heart to tell him if a career thing works out in August I'ma bounce. Which is also about the time I go from temp worker to proper IPC employee.

    Well, you have definitely got me beat as far as strangest professional compliments go.

    it's impossible for me to imagine this in any other voice than that of a fat Texan in a cowboy hat

    "ah like the way ya roll hogs, boy. ya gotta reeeeal knack fer it"

    Wait, " rolling hogs" isn't some form of euphanism?

    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, I got a gig this Friday night babysitting some youngsters.

    Should be relatively enjoyable and I can get some money to start saving up.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Who am I kidding...

    That money is going to buy me vodka.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Some lowlife tried to steal our quad last night, we always park it at the back of a stone barn with the JCB tight up to it so there's no room to move it but yesterday we must have left enough space. They pushed it out of the side door and were in the progress of towing it up to the top of the farm with a rope when something must have disturbed them. They took a chainsaw and hedge trimmers as well, but left all the other tools in the workshop. Anyway, we're lucky we still have the quad and we'll have to improve our security a bit. Obviously they now know the contents of our workshop so we have to expect them to come back for another go.

  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    People steal from the store I work at all the time
    I did say it earlier the Manager is away on retraining so the threat of Blank said is answered with a scoff anymore
    But over the years someone cut the lock on the outdoor part of the garden center and made off with several chain saws, ALL the propane, some lawnmowers and a few other things I forgot about
    WE have had that electric cart pusher stolen 3 times in the last 5 years that I know about
    It was a joke how we could not stop people stealing TVS they would come back the next or days later for a bigger or better one

    There is a facebook group that tells you how to steal from our store it's that silly easy

    The NEw Distract manager has had the idea to shut the stores in the iffy and bad parts of town at 10pm.
    We are one of the few that stays open 24 hours and it doesn't look like that for long as the gangs or people that stole from the other stores are casing ours.

  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Last day of the week and chocolate-raspberry-tartes? That'll do, work, that'll do.

    edit: to be more precise it turns out they were chocolate-tofu-mousse on a base of crushed oreos with raspberries on top and they were delicious, well done, intern.

    honovere on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I've applied for new jobs. Now to play the "do the people in charge of hiring actually look at their shitty online system for applications" game.

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    People steal from the store I work at all the time
    I did say it earlier the Manager is away on retraining so the threat of Blank said is answered with a scoff anymore
    But over the years someone cut the lock on the outdoor part of the garden center and made off with several chain saws, ALL the propane, some lawnmowers and a few other things I forgot about
    WE have had that electric cart pusher stolen 3 times in the last 5 years that I know about
    It was a joke how we could not stop people stealing TVS they would come back the next or days later for a bigger or better one

    There is a facebook group that tells you how to steal from our store it's that silly easy

    The NEw Distract manager has had the idea to shut the stores in the iffy and bad parts of town at 10pm.
    We are one of the few that stays open 24 hours and it doesn't look like that for long as the gangs or people that stole from the other stores are casing ours.

    Do you work at Home Depot?

    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    People steal from the store I work at all the time
    I did say it earlier the Manager is away on retraining so the threat of Blank said is answered with a scoff anymore
    But over the years someone cut the lock on the outdoor part of the garden center and made off with several chain saws, ALL the propane, some lawnmowers and a few other things I forgot about
    WE have had that electric cart pusher stolen 3 times in the last 5 years that I know about
    It was a joke how we could not stop people stealing TVS they would come back the next or days later for a bigger or better one

    There is a facebook group that tells you how to steal from our store it's that silly easy

    The NEw Distract manager has had the idea to shut the stores in the iffy and bad parts of town at 10pm.
    We are one of the few that stays open 24 hours and it doesn't look like that for long as the gangs or people that stole from the other stores are casing ours.

    Do you work at Home Depot?

    Wal-Mart
    and it's a bad walmart

  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So they're so cheap they don't even want to hire security? Or even put some minimum wage (non-union, of course!) schlub out there to make sure shit doesn't get stolen?

    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    The context was she was trying to describe a town on the Thames river which is in a state of disrepair that no one wants to live in because there are industrial areas surrounding it on all sides, and as she was flying over it in a plane she was describing the way the residential area was a huge beacon of light, but the industrial areas around were a vast emptiness of no light and blackness, and the only way she could think to describe it was like the Crack In The Wall/Universe. How the residential area was the only light around and stood out so much.

    It is not the most exciting reference. Especially if you're not a LA.

    I assume she was talking about Slough in which case the light areas are more dangerous than the dark.

  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    So, I found out why exactly we're working so much in May.

    This month, April, we ran around 3000 MT of product across all our wire types.

    In May, our EXCELLENTLY PERFORMING sales department has booked us to sell 4300 MT... of a single wire diameter... along with all the rest of the wire we produce.

    Bear in mind that we worked in April like we'll be working in May.

    When our production manager started talking to our customers, telling them that the amount of orders our sales department has placed are literally more than we are capable of producing, the company president chewed his ass, told him that he does not give a fuck how much we work, and to simply "handle it."

    Does the president have any connection/understanding of the product or were they parachuted in by a board/nepotism? Because that's just crazypants behaviour.

  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So they're so cheap they don't even want to hire security? Or even put some minimum wage (non-union, of course!) schlub out there to make sure shit doesn't get stolen?

    The security they had a few years ago was dealing drugs out in the parking lot
    So people gleefully did cart round up in an effort to find abandoned drugs or loose cash.

    We just have not had any at night and it's a known fact.

    They claim they are going to fix this but that was 3 weeks ago.

  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    People steal from the store I work at all the time
    I did say it earlier the Manager is away on retraining so the threat of Blank said is answered with a scoff anymore
    But over the years someone cut the lock on the outdoor part of the garden center and made off with several chain saws, ALL the propane, some lawnmowers and a few other things I forgot about
    WE have had that electric cart pusher stolen 3 times in the last 5 years that I know about
    It was a joke how we could not stop people stealing TVS they would come back the next or days later for a bigger or better one

    There is a facebook group that tells you how to steal from our store it's that silly easy

    The NEw Distract manager has had the idea to shut the stores in the iffy and bad parts of town at 10pm.
    We are one of the few that stays open 24 hours and it doesn't look like that for long as the gangs or people that stole from the other stores are casing ours.

    Do you work at Home Depot?

    Wal-Mart
    and it's a bad walmart


    Oh ok - I was just wondering if I was going to have a "woah small world moment"

    My brother works at Home Depot in Albuquerque and folks steal stuff from his store all the time. He tackled someone in te parking lot who was stealing a bunch of wire one time.

    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »
    Goddammit. My office is right around the corner from the receptionist's desk, and we have marble floors out there. Our receptionist, without fail, wears high heels to work and is a very high-energy, high-strung lady. I don't know what she's doing, or why she's going back and forth to the copy machine and the accounting office every 30 seconds, but for the entire morning all I'm hearing, constantly, is the sound of her jogging in her high heels back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. I'm about to lose it.

    I'll trade you an office mate for it who reads out under his breath every single e-mail he writes as he writes it!

    So far silent glares have not born fruit.

    Nor asking "sorry, what did you say?"

  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    It's Throw Things at Mike Time followed rapidly by Giggle Your Ass Off When He Jumps Out of His Skin Time.

    Honestly, you're in the cube right across from mine, get your ass up, walk over and knock on my desk, I'll feel the vibration. Don't blindside me with a paper clip outside of my peripheral vision. I know it's just a paper clip, but my adrenaline is working overtime.

    At least I don't need any coffee now.

  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Legit accidentally gatecrashed some other team's work dinner tonight.
    I was having a riot of a laugh, the guy who I was gonna catch dinner with was incredibly embarrassed.

  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to puzzle out which insurance to sign up for at work since I'm not gonna be able to use my parents anymore

    Everything is a haze of numbers I can't figure out the math for and terms that as far as I can tell have no clear meaning

    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    The context was she was trying to describe a town on the Thames river which is in a state of disrepair that no one wants to live in because there are industrial areas surrounding it on all sides, and as she was flying over it in a plane she was describing the way the residential area was a huge beacon of light, but the industrial areas around were a vast emptiness of no light and blackness, and the only way she could think to describe it was like the Crack In The Wall/Universe. How the residential area was the only light around and stood out so much.

    It is not the most exciting reference. Especially if you're not a LA.

    I assume she was talking about Slough in which case the light areas are more dangerous than the dark.

    @Dis' Thurrock!

  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm trying to puzzle out which insurance to sign up for at work since I'm not gonna be able to use my parents anymore

    Everything is a haze of numbers I can't figure out the math for and terms that as far as I can tell have no clear meaning

    You american? How much do you actually use your health insurance/wished you could use it?

    Edit: If the second is "Not much" you'll probably most care about the aspects of if you get super cancer tomorrow rather than how much a check up costs. In that case you're looking for your deductible and your max out of pocket as important numbers and lower is better.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ah yes, pushing carts in the dead of night at a 24 hour Walmart in a bad part of town. How I don't miss those days. Especially not when some jackass snatches the key from the electric cart pusher while it's in operation and whoops it's dead in the water now in the middle of the aisle during food stamp weekend and there's no such thing as a manual release to get it out of the way.

    Fuck that job.

  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yay for users ignoring my request to explicitly not do something until I get them instructions...

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    The context was she was trying to describe a town on the Thames river which is in a state of disrepair that no one wants to live in because there are industrial areas surrounding it on all sides, and as she was flying over it in a plane she was describing the way the residential area was a huge beacon of light, but the industrial areas around were a vast emptiness of no light and blackness, and the only way she could think to describe it was like the Crack In The Wall/Universe. How the residential area was the only light around and stood out so much.

    It is not the most exciting reference. Especially if you're not a LA.

    I assume she was talking about Slough in which case the light areas are more dangerous than the dark.

    @Dis' Thurrock!

    In that case the dark areas were more the river and the greenbelt marsh reserve rather than industrial estates *adjusts spectacles*

    In the estuary you get compact residential areas because people shouldn't over build on the bogs and sandbars.

  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm trying to puzzle out which insurance to sign up for at work since I'm not gonna be able to use my parents anymore

    Everything is a haze of numbers I can't figure out the math for and terms that as far as I can tell have no clear meaning

    You american? How much do you actually use your health insurance/wished you could use it?

    Edit: If the second is "Not much" you'll probably most care about the aspects of if you get super cancer tomorrow rather than how much a check up costs. In that case you're looking for your deductible and your max out of pocket as important numbers and lower is better.

    Yeah that's basically my thinking, I don't have any chronic conditions but I have some monthly prescriptions and I see a doctor every other month or so on average, the trick is that the plan that has the lower deductible and max out of pocket also has double the contribution/premium/whatever which over the course of the year comes out to not a small amount of my money

    But I don't really like the idea of betting I'll stay healthy to try and save some money cause I feel like if something goes wrong I'll lose more than I initially saved

    I should try checking the awful maryland health exchange thing again but last time I tried it said I didn't qualify for any sweet government money and all the comparably priced plans just weren't as good

    Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    The context was she was trying to describe a town on the Thames river which is in a state of disrepair that no one wants to live in because there are industrial areas surrounding it on all sides, and as she was flying over it in a plane she was describing the way the residential area was a huge beacon of light, but the industrial areas around were a vast emptiness of no light and blackness, and the only way she could think to describe it was like the Crack In The Wall/Universe. How the residential area was the only light around and stood out so much.

    It is not the most exciting reference. Especially if you're not a LA.

    I assume she was talking about Slough in which case the light areas are more dangerous than the dark.

    @Dis' Thurrock!

    In that case the dark areas were more the river and the greenbelt marsh reserve rather than industrial estates *adjusts spectacles*

    In the estuary you get compact residential areas because people shouldn't over build on the bogs and sandbars.

    Yeah I wrote it wrong.

  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm trying to puzzle out which insurance to sign up for at work since I'm not gonna be able to use my parents anymore

    Everything is a haze of numbers I can't figure out the math for and terms that as far as I can tell have no clear meaning

    You american? How much do you actually use your health insurance/wished you could use it?

    Edit: If the second is "Not much" you'll probably most care about the aspects of if you get super cancer tomorrow rather than how much a check up costs. In that case you're looking for your deductible and your max out of pocket as important numbers and lower is better.

    Yeah that's basically my thinking, I don't have any chronic conditions but I have some monthly prescriptions and I see a doctor every other month or so on average, the trick is that the plan that has the lower deductible and max out of pocket also has double the contribution/premium/whatever which over the course of the year comes out to not a small amount of my money

    But I don't really like the idea of betting I'll stay healthy to try and save some money cause I feel like if something goes wrong I'll lose more than I initially saved

    I should try checking the awful maryland health exchange thing again but last time I tried it said I didn't qualify for any sweet government money and all the comparably priced plans just weren't as good

    Yea. Even with routine doctor visits deductible rarely comes up. You pay a copay and you're done. Deductibles only really come up when you start having expensive non-routine procedures.

    The other issue to check would be to make sure any docs you have an ongoing and good relationship with are in the plan you end up in. That can be major if the ongoing relationship is important to you.

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    As a general rule, if you do not like people, you should probably not be in any kind of management position.

    Just throwing that out there.

    EDIT: And if you proudly announce 'I'm an asshole' then you are DEFINITELY not the kind of person who should be in any kind of management position.

    vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
This discussion has been closed.