Options

I work with history's greatest monster in the [job] thread.

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Boston is way too hot. I'm sweating :?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    So some of you might remember my posts about a Mexico trip I had last week. Not only did my customer keep me safe but the conditions of the plant were way better than I expected. The facility was air conditioned, the employees were well trained, friendly, and most spoke decent English so the training was easy. I know it's not the norm for American owned plants in Mexico and overseas but it's nice to know a giant company like Emerson does have at least some nice facilities in developing nations.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    It's the little things about this job that I love the most.

Like how I just paged the "Epic Dragon" team.

On Urgent.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    builderr0r wrote: »
    Boston is way too hot. I'm sweating :?

And then hail (???) this afternoon? I wish I stayed home. Seems like tornado weather if you live out past Worcester. I'm also pissed because our company picnic was canceled because of this afternoon's weather.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Every Investment Advisory & Management Agreemeent that I've reviewed today has a big "WITNESSETH" on it and it makes me want to watch Mad Max again.

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    I'll be home by 2:30ish probably, so hopefully before it gets too bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh it's just to hot everywhere then, they need to send me up North for no reason then. This humidity is killing me, I've resorted to a lounger and foot rest in the server room where it is nice and chilly.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My workplace/home has a pool table so I played a bit today

I really really suck at pool you guys. It's distressing.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Here's what you need to do:

Establish your horribleness.
    Get a montage.
    Hustle your coworkers for all their money.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Get a montage.

alt-answer: learn trigonometry and physics.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Saw off a little bit of one leg and then put that little sawed off bit back under the leg and when it is your turn to pool, you kick that little sawed off bit out of the leg so the table tilts and you hit the ball and you win.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Saw off a little bit of one leg and then put that little sawed off bit back under the leg and when it is your turn to pool, you kick that little sawed off bit out of the leg so the table tilts and you hit the ball and you win.

I think installing remote-controlled hydraulic lifts in the legs would be more fun.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I think installing remote-controlled hydraulic lifts in the legs would be more fun.

@tynic , we need a billiards table robo-leg cheating system, post-haste!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Hell is googling to find out if there are additional charges to ship a UPS via UPS Ground.

(I broke down and called their hazmat line. The answer is No.)

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Hell is googling to find out if there are additional charges to ship a UPS via UPS Ground.

(I broke down and called their hazmat line. The answer is No.)

Why would you need a United Parcel Service shipped via Uninterruptable Power Supply Ground? :razz:

I'm in a week-long training class for work. Interesting and useful topic, but I'm a bit bored. Can you tell?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Magnets in the balls and pockets.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Get a montage.

Wait

that's supposed to make me good?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    Hey Job Thread, long-time reader, first-time-in-a-long-time poster. Yesterday was my first day back at work after a 2-week vacation, and I found out I'm being laid off at the end of next week. Not for performance reasons, but because our sales pipeline isn't terribly rosy for the type of work that I do (this could also be interpreted as 'the sales people, whose job it is to sell work for our employees, are failing at that job'). This is the first time in 14 years that I've been unemployed; it's hard to process. Intellectually, I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to find a new job - even if it isn't a great one - before too terribly long, and we're fortunate enough to have decent savings set aside. Plus my wife and I are in good health, no kids or other dependents (except our dog). Emotionally, though, this is scary as shit and there's a little voice in the back of my head running through all sorts of worst-case scenarios. I know I'm in better shape than a lot of folks (and hopefully not coming across as an asshole in that regard), but man, this thing is daunting. Thanks for letting me vent.

Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Hey Job Thread, long-time reader, first-time-in-a-long-time poster. Yesterday was my first day back at work after a 2-week vacation, and I found out I'm being laid off at the end of next week. Not for performance reasons, but because our sales pipeline isn't terribly rosy for the type of work that I do (this could also be interpreted as 'the sales people, whose job it is to sell work for our employees, are failing at that job'). This is the first time in 14 years that I've been unemployed; it's hard to process. Intellectually, I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to find a new job - even if it isn't a great one - before too terribly long, and we're fortunate enough to have decent savings set aside. Plus my wife and I are in good health, no kids or other dependents (except our dog). Emotionally, though, this is scary as shit and there's a little voice in the back of my head running through all sorts of worst-case scenarios. I know I'm in better shape than a lot of folks (and hopefully not coming across as an asshole in that regard), but man, this thing is daunting. Thanks for letting me vent.

Your head is in the right place.

So, I've been laid-off twice. It is not good, not all that fun, and can bring all manner of things into question. Sounds like you already have a good bit aside so don't go freaking out over that just yet. However, I did find it helpful to begin making conscious decisions regarding certain things. Going out date nights became brunch dates because it's cheaper, cable got dropped (and never looked back, btw), etc.

Steps like that will help keep the voice in the back of your head quiet. It's a sign that you're taking positive steps to control your life. Why is this important? Because you're going to feel out of control at times. The lay-off itself, the occasional rejection letter from a prospective job, etc. Steps taken by you will serve to, on at least some level, remind you that you're in control here.

That said, actively maintain something that brings you pleasure. Your hobby, something you like to do, whatever. You'll need that kick of "I'm enjoying my life right now." Mainly because life is worth enjoying really, but also because hey...you're in control. I took up a martial art, for example. Cost me $100 a month, but it was a physical and mental release that I needed, and it lends to a major major second point: Continue accomplishing things.

It's addicting and if you fall off that wagon you'll forget what it was like to just set out and get shit done. Your own internal *ding* "grats" system.

Then make job hunting a part of your everyday, but not your all day. You'll go nuts if it is all that you throw yourself at. Nuts is bad, satisfied that you applied to 2-3 jobs a day or looked at listings, or built searches, or tweaked your resume, or built a spreadsheet that contains all off the words you see in your field so that you can cross reference listings against your own letter and resume (extreme, yes)...those are good things.

Also, post here more, man. We're cool and generally have your back in this thread.

Case in point: @JoeUser Lend this gent a hand in the way that only you can.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

So, I've been laid-off twice. It is not good, not all that fun, and can bring all manner of things into question. Sounds like you already have a good bit aside so don't go freaking out over that just yet. However, I did find it helpful to begin making conscious decisions regarding certain things. Going out date nights became brunch dates because it's cheaper, cable got dropped (and never looked back, btw), etc.

Steps like that will help keep the voice in the back of your head quiet. It's a sign that you're taking positive steps to control your life. Why is this important? Because you're going to feel out of control at times. The lay-off itself, the occasional rejection letter from a prospective job, etc. Steps taken by you will serve to, on at least some level, remind you that you're in control here.

That said, actively maintain something that brings you pleasure. Your hobby, something you like to do, whatever. You'll need that kick of "I'm enjoying my life right now." Mainly because life is worth enjoying really, but also because hey...you're in control. I took up a martial art, for example. Cost me $100 a month, but it was a physical and mental release that I needed, and it lends to a major major second point: Continue accomplishing things.

It's addicting and if you fall off that wagon you'll forget what it was like to just set out and get shit done. Your own internal *ding* "grats" system.

Then make job hunting a part of your everyday, but not your all day. You'll go nuts if it is all that you throw yourself at. Nuts is bad, satisfied that you applied to 2-3 jobs a day or looked at listings, or built searches, or tweaked your resume, or built a spreadsheet that contains all off the words you see in your field so that you can cross reference listings against your own letter and resume (extreme, yes)...those are good things.

Also, post here more, man. We're cool and generally have your back in this thread.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this post man, it helps a lot. I'm still settling into the new normal, but have been going over things to cut out (putting two gym memberships on hiatus - since I'll be home I can run with my dog), couple of other monthly memberships. Cable is a discussion we'll have to have. Wish we hadn't just re-upped our cell phones! Anyway one day at a time right? It's still just kinda hard to believe.

• Options
    Kadith wrote: »

Get a montage.

Wait

All sports amount to little more than properly applied physics.

It's the "properly applied" part that's so damn tricky.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

Get a montage.

Wait

All sports amount to little more than properly applied physics.

It's the "properly applied" part that's so damn tricky.

More proof that poker is not a sport and should not be on ESPN.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Probably good news! The place I interviewed at on Monday just called me back today to let me know they're going to be doing a background check and stuff. They wouldn't bother with that unless they wanted me for the position yeah?

No start date yet, but I got the job!

I'm salaried, I get to have insurance again, I get tuition reimbursement, it's on my campus, and I get to stop being unemployed for a year and a half!

e:Hearing from a friend who works there, I apparently blew the other candidates out of the water.

As an added bonus, I get a faculty parking tag instead of just a student one. I can park wherever the fuck I want now.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    double post of excitement

Kaplar on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Well instead of leaving this company, I've applied for an internal vacancy. It's a pretty lucrative role and gives me power as I report directly to the Managing Director. Witnesss meeeee!!

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    @Arch Guru XX Where are you, and what's your field?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    So with my degree done I guess it's time to look for jobs. It's just a two year software development degree so i'm not sure which ones i'd be qualified for, or what I should be searching for. Most things I find regarding programming are either entry level with no programming experience in which case why did I bother with the degree in the first place, or all the programming experience with 5+ years in a related job.

I guess if anyone has any examples that would be nice. The Seattle area is probably a decent place for that kind of thing, but muddling around on my own hasn't come up with much. The career center at school was rather useless since they mostly only help with resumes and cover letters.

What language(s) are you proficient in? That's kind of the starting point.

I wouldn't call it proficient, but most of the schoolwork was centered around C# with a very little bit of javascript and html.

Where are you looking? Do you know SQL?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this post man, it helps a lot. I'm still settling into the new normal, but have been going over things to cut out (putting two gym memberships on hiatus - since I'll be home I can run with my dog), couple of other monthly memberships. Cable is a discussion we'll have to have. Wish we hadn't just re-upped our cell phones! Anyway one day at a time right? It's still just kinda hard to believe.

You'll need the cell phone. There's definitely a stigma in hiring unemployed people and it's intensified with hiring people that don't have easy access to stuff like a phone or transportation.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

On Urgent.

Do you work for Epic or Dragon or a medical facility that uses both in combination?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Well. That ball was spectacularly dropped.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

You'll need the cell phone. There's definitely a stigma in hiring unemployed people and it's intensified with hiring people that don't have easy access to stuff like a phone or transportation.

reminds me of the wise words of Alice Cooper:
    I can't get a girl 'cause i ain't got a car
    I can't get a car 'cause i ain't got a job
    I can't get a job 'cause i ain't got a car
    So i'm looking for a girl with a job and a car

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    My office has a pretty good view

11028356_10206025337445375_8817318229276831514_n.jpg?oh=86fbb48def9ad1d62596a2837d05cc47&oe=562879B5

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Say that in 6 or 7 months

• Options

On Urgent.

Do you work for Epic or Dragon or a medical facility that uses both in combination?

Hospital, and the team that normally handles miscellaneous programs now has two queues, a regular one and one for stuff related to Epic (which we rolled out earlier this year and, I gotta tell ya, is actually pretty nice from an IS perspective).

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    External access is out.

Our source code is hosted externally.

Apparently no one has realized this and is instead asking me why nothing works.

... I think I might just gonna go home early....

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

reminds me of the wise words of Alice Cooper:
    I can't get a girl 'cause i ain't got a car
    I can't get a car 'cause i ain't got a job
    I can't get a job 'cause i ain't got a car
    So i'm looking for a girl with a job and a car
    And a house...

With cable

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Say that in 6 or 7 months
    eh it's not so bad
    10487326_10204963086449764_2612533496786283956_n.jpg?oh=51feb98e3fee75f66c62abcfec5ad6fc&oe=5633BB78

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2015
    JoeUser wrote: »
    @Arch Guru XX Where are you, and what's your field?

I'm in Southern California, Long Beach (but basically the greater LA/OC area is open). I'm a Management/Strategy/IT Consultant, on the functional side (not a developer). Manager/Senior Manager level in that world. Mostly I've been focusing on Project Management jobs, though I could do relatively junior Program Management work as well. Came up via Business Analyst track, though I'm not terribly keen to get back into that day-to-day. That help?

And @Butters - def not planning on giving up the cell phone, but in retrospect a more lightweight plan might have been convenient...

Arch Guru XX on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

On Urgent.

Hospital, and the team that normally handles miscellaneous programs now has two queues, a regular one and one for stuff related to Epic (which we rolled out earlier this year and, I gotta tell ya, is actually pretty nice from an IS perspective).
    We used to use Epic at our clinics, but it was done away with in our great consolidation. Which is kind of a shame, because from what I hear it's one of the best ones.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.