As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I work with history's greatest monster in the [job] thread.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    so today i learned that golf is fun

and also that free alcohol for 12 hours is fun

really you should all be proud that this post is coherent

I may be struggling to make sure I didn't typo this guys i am pretty druno

Golf is totally fun. Also totally frustrating.

Tomorrow the company I work for is closed for a company day trip. But I won't be going on the trip, instead I'll go watch the golf tournament that's here this weekend. Gonna try and see Martin Kaymer and Henrik Stenson.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Mid-year rewiew score: Meeting expectations.

Aw yeah.

broken image link
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    So I may be getting rolled over from OA to OT relatively soon, according to Delegated Testing (the hiring department) who informed me that my supervisor is listing an opening and has me as her prime candidate. I'd be doing the exact same work I am already doing, so now I'd just be getting paid OT-level wages for doing OT-level work. Besides the additional pay though, another great thing is that jobs in government operate under a ladder system for the most part. Put in such and such amount of time in this position at this range and you gain eligibility for the next step up. By working as an OT I'll be gaining eligibility towards Associate Governmental Program Analyst (AGPA) position, which is a step above Staff Services Analyst (SSA) which I already qualify for due to my OA work.

End goal is still to get into IT as an Associate Information Systems Analyst (AISA) which then graduates into Senior Information Systems Analyst (SISA), but it still feels like I'm progressing in my career which is always a good thing considering imposter syndrome likes to rear its ugly head very often.

I applied for so many AISA positions...

Hell, I'm still getting applications from the state of California. It's like guys, that ship literally sailed 10 months ago.

WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU THEN BEFORE I WAS FORCED TO RELOCATE?!?

Of course even when I applied I still never heard a damn thing even after I interviewed.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mid-year rewiew score: Meeting expectations.

Aw yeah.

Time to lower those expectations so you can start exceeding them

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I woke up out of a dream on Tuesday thinking it was Friday

This has been a super long week.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I keep getting unsolicited emails from this woman about advertising our business in The Independent. I've told her we don't advertise and are not interested but she still pops up.

With a week left on my contract it's now taking all my willpower not to email back with 'Just piss off, will you'.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Considering quitting my marketing job to get involved with something more technical. Was thinking of going for my CCENT followed by a CCNA/CCNP Security. My question is if it is actually worth starting with an A+/Net+ cert if I already have some basic networking knowledge? The local bootcamps for that are $5k in and of themselves, which seems like a lot of a very basic cert.

@Photosaurus A+ is almost never asked for. I would consider that a waste of money unless you were going for some kind of hardware repair job. Network+ could be regarded as a wading pool to introduce you to networking concepts before diving into the lake that is CCNA, but CCNA will tell you everything you'd learn in Network+ and more from a Cisco-specific standpoint.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I keep getting unsolicited emails from this woman about advertising our business in The Independent. I've told her we don't advertise and are not interested but she still pops up.

With a week left on my contract it's now taking all my willpower not to email back with 'Just piss off, will you'.

Maybe you're being harassed by a robot.

Fun sun dunnnnn

(Thank you, autocorrect. That is exactly what I was going for.)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Oh look, instead of letting one of our employees work one night a week cleaning the store, let's just outsource it out to an outside person, cutting our hours. Oh, and this person isn't a proffesional cleaner, just a friend of upper management (Specifically, the upper manager everyone hates)! Also, she can't climb ladders, so a good third of her cleaning will be done by us. (dusting screens, cleaning lights, cleaning fans)

NEPOTISM!!!

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    So you know how I was thinking that I'd be next on the chopping block at work? It turns out I probably was not incorrect, but became selfish in my paranoia and didn't think of the wider picture. My entire department, which I was hired for slightly under six months ago, looks like it's on the chopping block. Because who needs people who can go between and actually fix problems when you can just have bureaucratic buck-passing and incompetence, right? The gears of finance should either spin pointlessly and impotently or be completely stuck and immobile.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the time my dad was laid off back in the 90s. We thought he was safe because he was the vp of his division, but the company just decided to lay off the whole division, managers and all. Some 200 people.

Sorry Mayabird

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    So I've found that submitting a CV for an internal position statistically creates 10x more anxiety than submitting one to an external company. Mainly because I had to check through every single line and take out the embellished stuff that anyone who knows the business would see is bull.

Welp, interview's now lined up. Now to spend the next week trying to comprehend industry regulatory controls...

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    So I've found that submitting a CV for an internal position statistically creates 10x more anxiety than submitting one to an external company. Mainly because I had to check through every single line and take out the embellished stuff that anyone who knows the business would see is bull.

Welp, interview's now lined up. Now to spend the next week trying to comprehend industry regulatory controls...

@Bad-Beat

Good luck! :)

gP6T05.jpg

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    It's always off-putting when someone I don't know says, "Good morning, how are you?" and they walk right past me without waiting for a reply.

You don't even care.

• Options
    I dunno, sometimes it's worse if they hang around waiting for an answer and making small talk
    while you kind of grin at them and think "who the hell ARE you??"

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I dunno, sometimes it's worse if they hang around waiting for an answer and making small talk
    while you kind of grin at them and think "who the hell ARE you??"

This happens to me far more often than I like. I guess it's some function of my height or charisma that a ton of people seem to know me better than I know them. Especially bad at the most recent class reunion. I should have studied the yearbook before I went. :(

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It's always off-putting when someone I don't know says, "Good morning, how are you?" and they walk right past me without waiting for a reply.

You don't even care.

This is basically my key impression I've taken from my handful of trips to the states. Lots of annoying faux friendliness

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Run up to them "WAIT! STOP! I didn't get to tell you how I was today!"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

You don't even care.

This is basically my key impression I've taken from my handful of trips to the states. Lots of annoying faux friendliness

Yeah, US people tend towards big smiles and "Hi how are you!?" regardless of how well you know them. It's cute but alarming.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    godmode wrote: »
    Considering quitting my marketing job to get involved with something more technical. Was thinking of going for my CCENT followed by a CCNA/CCNP Security. My question is if it is actually worth starting with an A+/Net+ cert if I already have some basic networking knowledge? The local bootcamps for that are $5k in and of themselves, which seems like a lot of a very basic cert.

@ Photosaurus A+ is almost never asked for. I would consider that a waste of money unless you were going for some kind of hardware repair job. Network+ could be regarded as a wading pool to introduce you to networking concepts before diving into the lake that is CCNA, but CCNA will tell you everything you'd learn in Network+ and more from a Cisco-specific standpoint.

I failed my CCNA back in '03, because I could not subnet properly. I had no problems with anything else, but finding the first valid host on 192.168.94.101/29 killed me. BTW the answer is 192.168.94.97.

The explanation that was given to me was terrible, so I just skipped that portion and powered through everything else nicely.Something like this would have been helpful back then.

Nija on
    Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

@Bad-Beat

Good luck! :)

gP6T05.jpg

yessssss lemurs! Cheers, Joe :biggrin:

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Be sure to give them some real personal details, like health problems, bowel movements etc.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I'm having a bit of a nightmare day.... my Dad has been in hospital since last Friday, it's now looking like some sort of heart failure. He was on holiday in Scotland the previous week and basically went straight into hospital after coming back on Friday, cutting the trip short by a day.

We're having a grain store built at the moment, yesterday the contractors (let's call them A) we thought were doing the concrete for the base came, measured their levels, and asked me to order an extra 20 ton of stone for them to finish off setting up around the outside of the shed. They then told me they'd ordered the concrete for next Tuesday.

Today a different set of contractors came (let's call them Q, just for the fuck of it), and finished setting up the lighting on the shed interior. I thought they were the same people who'd erected the shed but had a word with them as they were going and they told me they're coming to pour the concrete tomorrow morning. Q have never heard of A. Mr Q phoned up his boss (from company B, the overall company in charge of the build), put me on and he decided to mention now that they don't use A anymore (work started on the shed in April, we maybe ought to have heard of this by this point).

We'd thought A were doing the concrete the whole time as they had been out to visit the site with B when we made initial enquiries about building a new store. So naturally I didn't bat an eyelid when they turned up yesterday as if it was them doing the work. Company A have done work for us in the past.

I'm now going to have to phone up A and tell them we don't actually need them*, and feel like a colossal twat for doing so. I'd rather not bother my Dad with this in hospital if I can help it.

*Actually I've now left a message and am waiting for a reply.

TL;DR version I suddenly have to be a man and manage the family business and it's hard.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    :bro:

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Sounds like you're handling it excellently so far, Prole, even if you don't feel like it.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Update: Mr Contractor A has been remarkably understanding, so that at least is ok.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    It's super-cool when I tell someone their raw materials will be here on X date and they say "OK, sounds good." that they come back to me two weeks before X date panicking that the material isn't here because they need it right this second.

Also, corporate sent us 'gifts' to commemorate our 80th anniversary to be handed out during our summer party tomorrow. The gifts? Books about the history of the company. I foresee having a lot of those left over.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    HoA-player wrote: »

Tomorrow the company I work for is closed for a company day trip. But I won't be going on the trip, instead I'll go watch the golf tournament that's here this weekend. Gonna try and see Martin Kaymer and Henrik Stenson.

Golf every once in a while or once yearly for a company event is fun.

Golf every weekend is absolutely not fun.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey thread, today I accomplished a goal I set for myself this year. I commuted 13 miles to work on this fun thing.
    0z86x8ia02tg.jpg

A nice pleasant 82 degrees, and 65% relative humidity. Who wants a sweaty, sunblocky hug?

What a lovely day.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I applied for a job

@joeuser you'd better lemur me now just in case

• Options
    Grr
    Hurry up and approve my made-up quote so I can send out this press release!

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Multiple years of construction, cubic astronomical units of paperwork, and one opening ceremony later, we appear to have a complete and expanded museum.

It's really nice to see everything finally all put together and open to the public. The little "I did this" bits I can see all over the place are a bonus.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Kadith wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Be sure to give them some real personal details, like health problems, bowel movements etc.

- "You know how some medications have a side effect of excessive anal leakage? I found out just how excessive that really is."

- "I gotta lay off the dollar lap dances; my jock itches like I've been fucking poison oak."

- "The End is nigh! Repent before The Beast awakens! Cover yourself in creamed corn to hide from his baleful gaze!"

- "Mother is lonely. She says we should run the hotel together. I always listen to Mother."

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Got a call. Starting that new job on Monday

Kaplar on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    - "Mother is lonely. She says we should run the hotel together. I always listen to Mother."

I'm giving you the side eye so hard right now.

• Options

I'm giving you the side eye so hard right now.

You should never disagree with Mother.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    As someone born and raised in the southern US I am still never going to get used to the fact that when seeing someone briefly, "Hey how are ya?" response: "How are ya?" is acceptable/normal.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm almost definitely losing my job in the next two months.

It's not 100% guaranteed for certain, nobody's actually said anything

but

I'm a temp and they're making a big change and basically a huge project will finally be ending and it's just way too "writing on the wall" for me to ignore and it's stressing me the fuck out.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

You don't even care.

Yeah, US people tend towards big smiles and "Hi how are you!?" regardless of how well you know them. It's cute but alarming.

Apparently this was the inspiration for Fight Club. Chuck had been out camping in the woods with some friends and got in a Drunken Fistfight and goes back to his office all bruised and bloody and no one asked "what happened?" and just settled for normal office small talk.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    HoA-player wrote: »

Golf every once in a while or once yearly for a company event is fun.

Golf every weekend is absolutely not fun.

Yeah, I was expecting to *hate* it and was pleasantly surprised! It helped that I got assigned to a fun team (it was a Best Ball tournament for work) and I got to drive the cart. Careening around turns with free cider in hand on a beautiful day... not too bad.

I was awful, but I did get a few good shots and learned some things, so I maybe wouldn't hate doing it again sometime!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
This discussion has been closed.