As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I work with history's greatest monster in the [job] thread.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Guys help. This woman who is a relative of a friend of a relative or some shit is helping me 'network' to find a new job (beginning to think she's way overstating her ability to do this but anyway). She hasn't actually passed my resume on to anyone yet, instead she's come up with the 'wacky suggestion' that I do an MBA. Now, she has an MBA so I probably can't go with my initial response of "fuck no, blergh".

What's a polite way of saying "fuck no, blergh".

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    "fuck no, blergh, but thanks"

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestion but it's not something I can afford right now.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I went with "that's not something that had been on my radar before, but I'll give it a think." If I said I couldn't afford it (which is completely true!) she'll come back with links to scholarships and stuff. And probably suggest my parents help me pay which, hahahaha.

Hopefully she'll let it drop for a bit, at least till after she's done something useful for me. Then I can be blunter.

tynic on
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Guys help. This woman who is a relative of a friend of a relative or some shit is helping me 'network' to find a new job (beginning to think she's way overstating her ability to do this but anyway). She hasn't actually passed my resume on to anyone yet, instead she's come up with the 'wacky suggestion' that I do an MBA. Now, she has an MBA so I probably can't go with my initial response of "fuck no, blergh".

"Ooh, I think I see something over there" and then dig yourself into a tunnel in the ground and flee like a speedy mole.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

FIND ME A JOB WITH ROBOTS OR GO TO HELL

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Holy shit. My sister just texted me "hey I know what you should do next year!"
    Me: "this better not be 'get an mba' hahaha"
    Her: "How did you know???!"

Thats it, I quit. I'm moving to Thailand to live in a mangrove swamp and be a painter.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Thats it, I quit. I'm moving to Thailand to live in a mangrove swamp and be a painter.

This is somewhat similar to what disturbs me about my stepmother: once she gets an idea, she will wear away at you like a dog with a chew toy, no matter if you don't like the idea or if it's not even feasible for you.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I just spent my lunch break freezing a wart.

That's middle age creeping up on me I guess

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    There's some major changes going on and I'm really concerned, but I also don't know enough to know how concerned I should be. Basically my normal anxiety has gone super saiyan and I probably really won't know what any of this will actually do for two months.

• Options
    edited June 2015

This is somewhat similar to what disturbs me about my stepmother: once she gets an idea, she will wear away at you like a dog with a chew toy, no matter if you don't like the idea or if it's not even feasible for you.

No I mean, that's what's weird, the first conversation wasn't with my sister. This is two totally different people who have never met, talking to me about MBAs on the same day.

I'm very afraid that means it's not actually a terrible idea.

tynic on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I know people can have strong preferences regarding operating systems but that seems like a bit of an over reaction to getting a MacBook Air.

• Options
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I probably have to reign my attitude in a fair bit in the near future.
    I'm on friendly terms with basically everyone, but also a gigantic troll.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

If you're not going to dynamacize your core competencies and leverage your synergistic stratgories, how will you compete in today's fast paced technologically advanced job market?

• Options
    ohohoho

I technically got paid to write that.

Salaries!

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

"Right, so...about that. I'm going to require that everyone at every family function ever only refer to me as Doctor Tynic. On account of this one advanced degree that I have already toiled over. Further, I decree that those with MBAs will simply be referred to using Mr. or Ms. and the regular BA, BS folks shall be made to sit quietly in the corner."

• Options
    On the bright side, our crowd funder got picked up by a news site specializing in "ghosts, UFOs, the afterlife, and robotics" so that's sure to be a publicity boost.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    What an eclectic range of topics that site covers. Paranormal and OH YEAH ROBOTS AND STUFF.

Actually, tynic, maybe that's what your resume has been missing all this time. Just add the other stuff in addition to all the robotics.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Robots are too advanced to be made by humans. Their very existence is proof that the space lizards are among us.

• Options
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

I love the world building in Venture Brothers; no detail is too convoluted for the writers.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    MBA's will totally increase job offers if you're already overqualified - you need to demonstrate you're actually dumb.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    MBA's will totally increase job offers if you're already overqualified - you need to demonstrate you're actually dumb.

It'll show that you're a straight shooter with upper-middle management written all over you

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Multiple years of construction, cubic astronomical units of paperwork, and one opening ceremony later, we appear to have a complete and expanded museum.

It's really nice to see everything finally all put together and open to the public. The little "I did this" bits I can see all over the place are a bonus.

The first time I saw a part that I made the mold for in an actual big chain store was cool as hell. A step up from the "That part there came from where I work and their is like a 1/20 chance I actually touched it" from just running the machines.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    you should get an nba

team

• Options
    You know that little *waterdrop* sound people have on their phones? The one that sounds like a leaky kitchen faucet? That sound was repeating every few seconds from one of the stalls in the men's room just now. I had to restrain myself from banging on the stall door and yelling, "Either you need to mute your phone or get your prostate checked."

I truly regret not doing it, but I prefer getting paid over my sophomoric humor.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Job thread I have been shat upon from a great height at work and I am extremely vexed by this

I am incandescent with fucking rage, to be honest

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Welp, all the applications I sent out a few weeks back have all come back with no as the answer, including a call center job that requires no experience that told me I wasn't experienced enough.

Sad times.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    You alright duck?

• Options
    I have worked hard and stayed late and grafted for months and the reward for this is "you are now the supervisor for this person who is lazy and surly and will cause you all manner of stress" without a single meeting or discussion beforehand

And the reasoning? Because I am the only person willing to actually put up with her. All my so called fucking "colleagues" have ducked out. So it's been dropped on me, reshuffle, end of.

Meanwhile, the lass I've been training for months now is being handed over to a socially ignorant sexist arsehole who has no idea about what is appropriate in the office and is a workshy bastard to boot.

And she's on holiday right now! So that'll be fucking surprise, won't it.

Tears. Tears on Monday, mark my words.

Dropped on me from above. And I can understand why, but I don't want this. I do not. Want. This.

• Options
    Oh. That sucks. How evil are you willing to be? If you're open to being an unrepentant asshole you could try making your new subordinate's work life so unpleasant they quit.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh man, I actually thought some big old bird had literally taken a huge gross dump on you at lunch time and I was all ugh yeah I hate it when that happens.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    But yeah dude, that is rude and unfair as heck. Are there any avenues for compromise at all? If so, hopefully you're able to work something out that works better for you.

• Options
    Oh. That sucks. How evil are you willing to be? If you're open to being an unrepentant asshole you could try making your new subordinate's work life so unpleasant they quit.

That would be unprofessional and inappropriate.

That said, they do have some reyt objectionable views so I will take great pleasure in kicking the fuck out of her with the equality and respect code if I hear certain words ever again.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    But yeah dude, that is rude and unfair as heck. Are there any avenues for compromise at all? If so, hopefully you're able to work something out that works better for you.

I asked the team leader what I had done to deserve this and he said I didn't deserve it but somebody has to take the bullet and he knows I'll do my best with it.

I get on with my team leader but I want some recognition for this down the line.

• Options
    What did your neophyte do to deserve getting placed under that other guy though

Seems like everyone's gonna come out of this unhappy

• Options
    edited June 2015
    She's not done owt. She's a victim of a reshuffle that she's not here to see and I know that the one person she wanted to avoid was this guy.

I'm more angry for her than for myself. I'm going to have a word, actually. I need to raise that. She's a delicate soul, bless her, and she's grafted of late. It'll work out badly.

Solar on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    If your new supervisee is not performing well and has problems with professional behavior, which is what I assume from "lazy and surly," will you have the authority to let them go if they don't shape up? Because if your supervisor knows this is a problem employee, which it sounds like, and they're not giving you the proper tools to manage them (and firing someone who does not meet the standards is a very important tool for a manager), then that's fucked up.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    See this is how aggravated I am

I'm posting how I speak (Yorkshire) not how I write (English)

Ah well

Back t' grind

This discussion has been closed.