As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superhero Thread: Vision is Your New Favorite Superhero

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Okay I read All-New All-Different Avengers and yup Waid's run is gonna be great

Vision, Iron Man, Thor and Cap are the senior Avengers and Miles, Nova and Kamala are fully-fledged members but still learning the ropes and being taught by the pros

Some hints about the post Secret Wars status quo:
    Steve Rogers is alive, so there will be some form of resurrections going on in Secret Wars
    Steve and Sam have had a falling out
    Iron Man talks like he's a founding Avenger and is super smart and sassy like Tony but I still think it's Bruce Banner
    Vision has his powers reduced. Dude is still powerful but says he isn't recharging as fast as he once was

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait Blank how are you reading that

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait Blank how are you reading that

it's Free Comic Book Day

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    And the Uncanny Inhumans story was pretty good as well, albeit with terrible art.

They definitely feel a LOT like the X-Men, albeit more tragic and weird.
    The story opens with a big Bollywood star at his first premiere when the Terrigen Cloud rolls in and he gets turned into a hideous tree-man and starts freaking out. Another dude got changed (his hands are gone and floating energy things have replaced them) and uses his powers to try and save some people that TreeDude almost hurt. The Hydra shows up and tries to capture them to use as weapons, then Medusa and her posse (including Johnny Storm) roll in and save the day. Naja tries to get EnergyHands to calm down and explains how the whole Inhuman thing works. She asks what he used to do. "I was an engineer. I-I worked with my hands."

Also Medusa and Johnny kiss, with Johnny being his nervous goofy self and Medusa very much taking charge of the situation and kissing him. I'm kind of a sucker for those types of relationships (Goofy guy with confident, serious lady ala Big Barda and Mister Miracle) so I am tenatively down.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    And the Uncanny Inhumans story was pretty good as well, albeit with terrible art.

The story opens with a big Bollywood star at his first premiere when the Terrigen Cloud rolls in and he gets turned into a hideous tree-man and starts freaking out. Another dude got changed (his hands are gone and floating energy things have replaced them) and uses his powers to try and save some people that TreeDude almost hurt. The Hydra shows up and tries to capture them to use as weapons, then Medusa and her posse (including Johnny Storm) roll in and save the day. Naja tries to get EnergyHands to calm down and explains how the whole Inhuman thing works. She asks what he used to do. "I was an engineer. I-I worked with my hands."

Also Medusa and Johnny kiss, with Johnny being his nervous goofy self and Medusa very much taking charge of the situation and kissing him. I'm kind of a sucker for those types of relationships (Goofy guy with confident, serious lady ala Big Barda and Mister Miracle) so I am tenatively down.
    Maybe it's because Inhumans is still fairly fresh in my mind, but I feel like they can only stretch the whole "People became Inhuman all of a sudden and woooaaaaah!" angle so far before it gets old

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Maybe it's because Inhumans is still fairly fresh in my mind, but I feel like they can only stretch the whole "People became Inhuman all of a sudden and woooaaaaah!" angle so far before it gets old
    Yeah I am hoping that it was just because it is the FCBD book and they need to explain how the Inhumans work

Soule's done about 15 issues worth of NuHumans settling into their new lives, Uncanny Inhumans needs to be the next step, not more of that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I had an idea a few years ago for a superhero team who were in therapy together

Sentry, Scarlet Witch, Moon Knight and Hank Pym were the core of the group. Avengers Together was the title.

The idea would be that it would be able this group of damaged people who want to do good, want to rise above their problems, but find it difficult relating to the other Avengers because of antagonistic history and so on. They'd come to rely on each other a lot for emotional support, which was the whole idea of Avengers Together, you know, they'd always be there for each other, always keep each other going no matter what happened.

From a personal angle I'd really like a story perhaps exploring hero's mental/emotional struggles.

@Solar, I think you've mentioned you connect on a deeper level with the Sentry/Robert Reynolds, but as I get older I'm starting to feel a greater connection to a character like Hank Pym.

It's something I'd like to see explored.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    AoU
    The more I think about it the more I really want one of the Ultrons to have survived. He's just such a great character in the movie. I want that sad sweet robot to survive and learn and come back with a different strategy. He was just so emotional and pitiful at times, and not just a bombastic saturday morning cartoon.

• Options
    Also the DC Divergence book was mostly good

I like the new Superman status quo a lot

I imagine a bunch of people won't, but he's still Superman albeit with a new twist and the solicits so far don't show that changing

the dialogue was good and I liked Clark's voice a whole lot so I'm on board for now

Batman was good and was basically a big HEY THE NEW BATMAN IS GONNA BE WAY DIFFERENT AND MORE FUN YOU GUYS HEADS UP

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    That robot is still fucking stupid

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I also like the idea proposed a long time on here (I think) of a super-villain who also worked as a high-functioning therapist for the Marvel Universe.

Impeccably professional, exceedingly true to goal of helping her clients.

But also robs banks & such on the weekends.

• Options
    It's not a robot! It's a suit!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    AoU
    The more I think about it the more I really want one of the Ultrons to have survived. He's just such a great character in the movie. I want that sad sweet robot to survive and learn and come back with a different strategy. He was just so emotional and pitiful at times, and not just a bombastic saturday morning cartoon.

AoU
    It's totally possible a bot got away or some fragment of him escaped into the net

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm still not convinced

AoU
    that Vision actually killed that last drone

It was framed so ambiguously

• Options

IT'S A STUPID SUIT

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The "chaos magic isn't real" thing was all bendis, so you'll have to excuse me if I'm a bit leery about the continuity of it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Vision, Iron Man, Thor and Cap are the senior Avengers and Miles, Nova and Kamala are fully-fledged members but still learning the ropes and being taught by the pros

Steve Rogers is alive, so there will be some form of resurrections going on in Secret Wars
    Iron Man talks like he's a founding Avenger and is super smart and sassy like Tony but I still think it's Bruce Banner
    Vision has his powers reduced. Dude is still powerful but says he isn't recharging as fast as he once was
    It's definitely not Tony. Spider-Man quips about them not having Stark money anymore.

• Options
    I think All-New All-Different Avengers kinda soft-confirms that Rage of Ultron is post-Secret Wars
    Sam and Steve apparently really dislike each other now, Iron Man jokes that Sam is so out of ideas regarding the threat they're fighting that "he'd even take Steve Rogers' advice" to which Sam says "Don't even joke." And in what we've seen of Sam and him on the Avengers after becoming Cap, Steve still has had a pretty active support role the entire time (outside of Uncanny Avengers) but in Rage of Ultron Steve only shows up at the very end for Hank Pym's funeral and doesn't have any dialogue. He's also standing away from Sam, I believe.

Nothing concrete but I think that lines up pretty well

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    AoU

AoU
    It's totally possible a bot got away or some fragment of him escaped into the net

AoU
    Or he simply didn't send every single robot to Sokovia

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

It's definitely not Tony. Spider-Man quips about them not having Stark money anymore.
    Oh hey I missed that line!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Then yeah 100% going with the new Iron Man being
    Bruce Banner

he totally fits how Waid wrote Banner in Indestructible Hulk, and Waid loves the character.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

IT'S A STUPID SUIT
    No, you are

man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    As I think one of the few fans of Wanda left in this world.

I like her having probability powers. It's an interesting power set, and yeah, it can just expand infinitely, but I do like her being one of those mutants who could be a true heavy hitter if she actually focused on her powers/kept sane for long enough to do so.

However, I goddamn hate the hex bolts thing. That's just lazy, I think. It's trying to make her just like, a generic blaster character, and I don't dig on that. She's a support character, not like, an active bruiser. She alters reality in slight ways to make terrible things happen or to allow her teammates to do cool things with her powers.

If you want Wanda to be able to do just like blasting on the enemy stuff, just give her like a regular weapon, and she fucks with the probability of her missiles to have good aim or whatever.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    AofU
    i got a great deal of joy out of Ultrio getting in the jet then just kind of flying around shooting people instead of escaping like a reasonable person

NeoToma on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    The "chaos magic isn't real" thing was all bendis, so you'll have to excuse me if I'm a bit leery about the continuity of it

Yeah, Bendis's track record with magic/Dr. Strange stuff is... not great. I still haven't forgiven him for splitting Strange and Night Nurse up.

They were perfect together, you monster!

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    I mean

it's continuity

Like Bendis introduced Chaos Magic being a lie Wanda used, but it's been continuity for like 10 years now because of that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I've gone down the Avengers hole for my Saturday

been playing Marvel Heroes and watching Earth's Mightiest Heroes all day

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    For some reason I was under the impression that Iron Fist had been added to Marvel Heroes, but I guess he's not in the roster?

Oh well.

Guess I'll use X-23.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    For some reason I was under the impression that Iron Fist had been added to Marvel Heroes, but I guess he's not in the roster?

Oh well.

Guess I'll use X-23.

Iron Fist is confirmed for this year.

As is Doom, Kitty, War Machine, Blade, Black Cat, and at least two unannounced heroes one which is probably gonna be Ant-Man.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Oh well.

Guess I'll use X-23.

Iron Fist is confirmed for this year.

As is Doom, Kitty, War Machine, Blade, Black Cat, and at least two unannounced heroes one which is probably gonna be Ant-Man.

Oh, rad.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    NeoToma wrote: »
    AofU
    i got a great deal of joy out of Ultrio getting in the jet then just kind of flying around shooting people instead of escaping like a reasonable person
    And then Hulk bursts in and tosses him out

"Oh for God's sake-"

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    It occurs to me that we didn't ever actually see Banner turn into Hulk in AoU.

Just Hulk back into Banner that one time.

Lots of "Banner goes off-screen, Hulk comes back on-screen".

Ceno on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So I saw AoU today

And since you guys have the "OMG THIS MOVIE YOU GUYS" covered

There was a trailer for some boxing movie with Jake Gyllehaal, And I think with a dye job he'd be a pretty good Danny Rand

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    So I saw AoU today

And since you guys have the "OMG THIS MOVIE YOU GUYS" covered

There was a trailer for some boxing movie with Jake Gyllehaal, And I think with a dye job he'd be a pretty good Danny Rand

I think he'd be a better Marc Spector.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

I wouldn't mind it at all if post-SW, the Avengers just boot Steve and Tony off the team until they can get their problems with each other solved. And if they try to argue against it, someone just shows them a recording of them fighting during the last moments of the Final Incursion and says "Yeah, we were out helping people survive the end of the world and this is what you two were up to, so no."

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I might have to go back and watch AoU again tonight, just because of this thread.

Thanks, jerks.

(Also, I missed FCBD because of work and I wanna see if I can pick some stuff up.)

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

I wouldn't mind it at all if post-SW, the Avengers just boot Steve and Tony off the team until they can get their problems with each other solved. And if they try to argue against it, someone just shows them a recording of them fighting during the last moments of the Final Incursion and says "Yeah, we were out helping people survive the end of the world and this is what you two were up to, so no."

I don't see why they'd kick Tony off the team.
    He was actually trying to do something productive, Cap did nothing but whine about bringing them all to justice regardless of the cost. He was a giant tool throughout the entire arc.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Also one concern I have about movies going forward after the way Ultron leaves things
    It feels like there's too much plot to get through to conceivably see the New Avengers in action

And boy I would love to see plenty of them

Cap, Scarlet Witch, War Machine, Falcon, Vision, and...is Black Widow still part? I'm assuming so?

Is such a great lineup that I almost wish we could have a whole movie dedicated to just seeing them in action instead of the Civil War and Thanos plots breathing down the MCU's neck

My solution to this would be
    Just have the team doing stuff in Civil War

Not the focus of it, but doing things
    This team could also lead to interesting conflict in Civil War

Cause Rhodey has known Tony forever, but Steve Rogers is his commanding officer now

He could be a really interesting fulcrum of the plot

AOU/Civil War
    Rhodey would be a good lynchpin but Scarlet Witch would be good too, if only because she openly hates Tony and pretty clearly thinks that Cap is rad

And where would Vision fall on the alignment???

AoU/Civil War
    I could see Rhodey sympathizing with Steve and resisting Registration. I'd be super interested to see if Sam would actually support it, just so we could see Steve and Tony switch best friends and give them both some pathos to contend with.

Vision would probably just end up mediating between the two sides; he's got an Infinity Stone lodged in his skull, I doubt it really makes a difference to him whether he's registered as a superhuman or not.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Also one concern I have about movies going forward after the way Ultron leaves things
    It feels like there's too much plot to get through to conceivably see the New Avengers in action

And boy I would love to see plenty of them

Cap, Scarlet Witch, War Machine, Falcon, Vision, and...is Black Widow still part? I'm assuming so?

Is such a great lineup that I almost wish we could have a whole movie dedicated to just seeing them in action instead of the Civil War and Thanos plots breathing down the MCU's neck

My solution to this would be
    Just have the team doing stuff in Civil War

Not the focus of it, but doing things
    This team could also lead to interesting conflict in Civil War

Cause Rhodey has known Tony forever, but Steve Rogers is his commanding officer now

He could be a really interesting fulcrum of the plot

AOU/Civil War
    Rhodey would be a good lynchpin but Scarlet Witch would be good too, if only because she openly hates Tony and pretty clearly thinks that Cap is rad

And where would Vision fall on the alignment???

AoU/Civil War
    I could see Rhodey sympathizing with Steve and resisting Registration. I'd be super interested to see if Sam would actually support it, just so we could see Steve and Tony switch best friends and give them both some pathos to contend with.

Vision would probably just end up mediating between the two sides; he's got an Infinity Stone lodged in his skull, I doubt it really makes a difference to him whether he's registered as a superhuman or not.

AoU/Civil War
    I honestly don't see Rhodey being opposed to national/federal registration.

I could see Sam being against it as a result of everything that happened with SHIELD in Winter Soldier though.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    AofU
    Well, what else would you do in an open world game once you've gotten your hands on a heavily armed vehicle?

b1ehrMM.gif
This discussion has been closed.