As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

9 Dead in Racially Motivated shooting in Charleston, SC

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Gawkers. They're everywhere.

I mean, if you took that photo you're kinda one of them too.

I didn't

I am in my office just kind of peaking

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'd honestly like to know what they are talking about while standing there. That'd be take interesting.

steam_sig.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Same stuff we're talking about, probably.

But, y'know, with an added bit of "hey I hope I see the horrible murderer".

sig.gif
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    well that one guy doesn't seem too concerned about anything but how his headband's looking

bugss2.jpg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Gawkers. They're everywhere.

I mean, if you took that photo you're kinda one of them too.

I didn't

I am in my office just kind of peaking

Gawking at the gawkers. So meta...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

SimBenSlacker71
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    i fucking love that that bill calls it the war between the states and not the civil war

QanamilBrocksMulletDesert LeviathanRomanian My EscutcheonShadowenmasterofmetroid
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Writer at a local Cola paper just put up an article about what it would actually take, legal-wise, to take the flag down. Essentially, it would require a 2/3rd vote by both the House and Senate due to the Heritage Act passed in 2000.
    They could — but it would require a two-thirds vote of both the House and Senate. As Free Times’ Chris Trainor detailed in a story earlier this year, the Heritage Act, passed in 2000, prevents removing the flag, among other symbols of state history.

Trainor’s story involved the efforts of Greenwood, South Carolina, to remove a monument that segregates “white” and “colored” soldiers in listings the names of the dead in the first two World Wars — and effort that’s been stymied by the Heritage Act. A group of veterans has sued the state over the law, saying it “tramples on local control” and impedes free speech.

The law reads, “No Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, War Between the States, Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War, Native American, or African-American History monuments or memorials erected on public property of the State or any of its political subdivisions may be relocated, removed, disturbed, or altered.”

See? This is the bullshit we're dealing with here.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    cabsy
    Langly wrote: »
    i fucking love that that bill calls it the war between the states and not the civil war

At least it's not the "War of Northern Aggression".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

SimBenBrocksMulletSlacker71ShadowenmasterofmetroidEvilCakecabsyTankHammer
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Writer at a local Cola paper just put up an article about what it would actually take, legal-wise, to take the flag down. Essentially, it would require a 2/3rd vote by both the House and Senate due to the Heritage Act passed in 2000.
    They could — but it would require a two-thirds vote of both the House and Senate. As Free Times’ Chris Trainor detailed in a story earlier this year, the Heritage Act, passed in 2000, prevents removing the flag, among other symbols of state history.

Trainor’s story involved the efforts of Greenwood, South Carolina, to remove a monument that segregates “white” and “colored” soldiers in listings the names of the dead in the first two World Wars — and effort that’s been stymied by the Heritage Act. A group of veterans has sued the state over the law, saying it “tramples on local control” and impedes free speech.

The law reads, “No Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, War Between the States, Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War, Native American, or African-American History monuments or memorials erected on public property of the State or any of its political subdivisions may be relocated, removed, disturbed, or altered.”

See? This is the bullshit we're dealing with here.

But mah heritage!

steam_sig.png
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, pretty great, right? I had to re-read because my thought was "wait, the civil war isn't listed?" like a dummy.

The Betgirl
    I got as far as "War between..." and said, out loud, "oh for fuck's sake."

EvilCakeMadEddy

That would be the war of 1812

dang canucks

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    ShadowenEvilCakeTankHammer
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    So an NRA board member is on record blaming Clementa Pinckney for the shooting.

Fuck the NRA.

Andy JoeButtersRetabachocoboliciousLabelDarth WaiterHacksawRomanian My EscutcheonShadowenGoldenSeducermasterofmetroiddarleysamMadEddyTankHammer

dang canucks

Dude you attacked us.

sig.gif
    GundiRainfallSlacker71InvectivusAtari SoulCello
    edited June 2015
    Like, come on NRA

the statement writes itself.

"Guns don't kill people, hatred does. This man's hatred of other human beings is the cause of this tragedy and the NRA condemns his actions and prays for the families of the victims."

Tox on
    darleysamcabsyMadEddy

dang canucks

Dude you attacked us.

I SAID

DANG

CANUCKS

BlueBlueturtleantTankHammer
  • MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    I'm watching the court hearing, and the families of the victims are speaking and forgiving the fucker and now I'm sitting here at my desk crying. Just god damn it all.

SimBenQanamilShadowen
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Like, come on NRA

the statement rights itself.

"Guns don't kill people, hatred does. This man's hatred of other human beings is the cause of this tragedy and the NRA condemns his actions and prays for the families of the victims."

http://www.theonion.com/article/nra-starts-their-shit-about-what-would-be-even-gre-50706

Donovan PuppyfuckerToxBertezBertezSlacker71POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANShadowendarleysam
    Midnite wrote: »
    I'm watching the court hearing, and the families of the victims are speaking and forgiving the fucker and now I'm sitting here at my desk crying. Just god damn it all.

I made the mistake of watching a stream with chat

people talking about how he looks like just a kid and a baby and doesn't he have a mom and he looks so sad

fuck off

BrocksMulletchocoboliciousShadowenGoldenSeducer
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    God I hate the NRA.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Donovan PuppyfuckerShortyMidniteToxSimBenNarbusTheySlashThemLabelEncHacksawInvectivusStiltsDoobhRomanian My EscutcheonShadowenGoldenSeducermasterofmetroiddarleysamgtrmpTankHammerNartwak

dang canucks

Dude you attacked us.

I imagine we ran over the border, guns at the ready, shouting "My god! They're coming right for us!"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

ChincymcchillaSimBen

dang canucks

Dude you attacked us.

I SAID

DANG

CANUCKS

There's a pretty cool diorama at the Ottawa war museum of US soldiers being all AAH FUCK SNOW AND THIS GUERILLA SHIT while Canadian soldiers are gunning them down from atop hastily built barricades in Quebec City's narrow streets.

sig.gif
    Cello
    edited June 2015

dang canucks

Dude you attacked us.

I SAID

DANG

CANUCKS

There's a pretty cool diorama at the Ottawa war museum of US soldiers being all AAH FUCK SNOW AND THIS GUERILLA SHIT while Canadian soldiers are gunning them down from atop hastily built barricades in Quebec City's narrow streets.

A vicious, aggressive action

Chincymcchilla on
    SimBenTankHammer
    Quebec City is probably the only town in North America specifically built to repel invasions, for future reference.

sig.gif
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »

I made the mistake of watching a stream with chat

people talking about how he looks like just a kid and a baby and doesn't he have a mom and he looks so sad

fuck off

I don't know how you can look at that guy and not want to shake him so hard his fillings come out.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

Quebec City is probably the only town in North America specifically built to repel invasions, for future reference.

Clearly you had an unfair advantage

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Yeah well we took our fucking baseball team back in the end! Suck it, Expos fans!

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Clint Eastwood

Clearly you had an unfair advantage

Much like Russia against Napoleon.

sig.gif
    Geth
    The UN eagerly awaits the first draft of Ambassador McChilla's "Fairness in Love and War" proposal.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

ChincymcchillaSimBenSlacker71Shadowen
    Butters wrote: »

Yeah well we took our fucking baseball team back in the end! Suck it, Expos fans!

They're Expos fans. They're already sucking it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Slacker71Shadowen
    Butters wrote: »

And now your teams are playing in our town.

Check, mate.

sig.gif
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    *Runs in*

Huff huff. Did someone say War of 1812? Why yes I am an expert on that particular conflict.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

*Runs in*

Huff huff. Did someone say War of 1812? Why yes I am an expert on that particular conflict.

Excellent. None of the books I've read have adequately covered the role ghosts played in the war.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Librarian's ghostSlacker71CorporateLogoShadowencabsyCello
    *Runs in*

Why did anyone think it was gonna be easy to take Quebec City by land?

I mean, the British took it by sea 50 years before that sure, but 1) they came by sea, 2) they were fighting against the French who were severely undermanned, 3) the British took it during the summer, the Americans attacked in the winter, 4) the British were now the ones defending the city, 5) the British had built a citadel in the city in the meantime (which they didn't even need it turns out).

The citadel is still an active army base btw! It's pretty dang cool, I visited it. It's all built like Helm's Deep or something, all these big ditches, it's star-shaped just like the ones in Civ 5.

sig.gif
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    *Runs in*

Why did anyone think it was gonna be easy to take Quebec City by land?

I mean, the British took it by sea 50 years before that sure, but 1) they came by sea, 2) they were fighting against the French who were severely undermanned, 3) the British took it during the summer, the Americans attacked in the winter, 4) the British were now the ones defending the city, 5) the British had built a citadel in the city in the meantime (which they didn't even need it turns out).

The citadel is still an active army base btw! It's pretty dang cool, I visited it. It's all built like Helm's Deep or something, all these big ditches, it's star-shaped just like the ones in Civ 5.

A lot of American "Generals" in the war were just territorial governors with zero military experience who thought it was a good idea. The US Army was very small and all of the good seniors officers tended to lead from the front and get killed. Zebulon Pike, of Pike's Peak, for instance.

Hell. Our militia was useless. Someone would lead a crossing into Canada with a limited Army infantry force backed up by militia, but then the militia would refuse to cross the border. They wouldn't mention this until the Army had already crossed and were under fire, mind you.

You have instances like Bladensburg where the militia just fucking runs for it the second the British army engages, and the tiny group of US Marines who were trying to organize them just had no way to stop the route.

Canada did a very good job in that war. Though the big stand out battle, Chippewa, proved that the US army could stand and fight a totally even battle on flat terrain against British Regulars, who were the best infantry in the world at the time. Big morale boost for us.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

SimBenSlacker71Shadowen
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Oh my god is this thread still doing this? Guess what, the confederate flag and the controversy surrounding South Carolina's use of it isn't, in the bigger scheme of things, important. It's just an highly visible, easy to latch on to, symbol of much bigger problems. Sure, if I see someone proudly wearing confederate memorabilia at best I'm going to think them a fool. But honestly, I don't really care if South Carolina chooses to fly on top of, or around, their government buildings. I don't have time to care about something that trivial. And it is trivial, when compared to the systematic problems of inequality in the justice system, in politics, in economic opportunity, etc.

It's something I'm upset about but it isn't something I'm going to direct energy towards changing. Not when black people are slaughtered in churches, or are presumed guilty until proven innocent, or are locked to rot in jail on unreasonable bond until their lives are ruined. Not when they have a disproportionally small voice in the societal dialogue. I just... there's only so much a person can realistically do and I think it's important to think about how and where you're directing your anger. Get South Carolina's state legislature to pass some some goddamned hate crime laws before you try and get them to lower a damn piece of fabric, for Pete's sake.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Oh my god is this thread still doing this? Guess what, the confederate flag and the controversy surrounding South Carolina's use of it isn't, in the bigger scheme of things, important. It's just an highly visible, easy to latch on to, symbol of much bigger problems. Sure, if I see someone proudly wearing confederate memorabilia at best I'm going to think them a fool. But honestly, I don't really care if South Carolina chooses to fly on top of, or around, their government buildings. I don't have time to care about something that trivial. And it is trivial, when compared to the systematic problems of inequality in the justice system, in politics, in economic opportunity, etc.

It's something I'm upset about but it isn't something I'm going to direct energy towards changing. Not when black people are slaughtered in churches, or are presumed guilty until proven innocent, or are locked to rot in jail on unreasonable bond until their lives are ruined. Not when they have a disproportionally small voice in the societal dialogue. I just... there's only so much a person can realistically do and I think it's important to think about how and where you're directing your anger. Get South Carolina's state legislature to pass some some goddamned hate crime laws before you try and get them to lower a damn piece of fabric, for Pete's sake.

The flag still flying is one piece of the giant puzzle, but the fact that it's still there is a symbol that shows that racists still have influence and power at the highest levels.

Chipping away at that power helps. Clearly it's not the only step to fixing the problem but it's such an easy and obvious first one.

SimBenTommy2HandsToxRetabaDidgeridooEncArdolRomanian My EscutcheonShadowenDonovan PuppyfuckerTankHammerNartwak
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    So an NRA board member is on record blaming Clementa Pinckney for the shooting.

Fuck the NRA.

what

ToxShadowen
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    short version, "if the pastor was armed this wouldn't have happened"

because gun nuts

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sometimes, I wish I was a drinker.

RoyceSraphimNothingTommy2Hands
This discussion has been closed.