Options

The [Wrestling] thread wants you to watch NXT tonight for free on the Network

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't blame her, but at the same time, maybe the line in the sand could have been that time they inducted a convicted rapist into their hall of fame

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Or the fact that a wife beater is glorified as one of the most important people in wrestling.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    (Who is the abuser?)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    (Who is the abuser?)

Austin.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Floyd Mayweather

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    (Who is the abuser?)

Austin.
    Welp

That doesn't surprise me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It's one of the really unfortunate things in sports where fans are willing to overlook certain things (in many cases, domestic abuse) if the person is good. I don't blame Beadle for being upset, especially after what she and Rachel Nichols went through today, but considering how the company she works for largely talked around Mayweather's past (and didn't even bother discussing the shitty things Pacquiao has done or said) I don't really know if going after the WWE in particular comes across as great.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    (Who is the abuser?)

Austin.
    Welp

That doesn't surprise me

Flair has also been involved in some stuff as well, but most of the police reports I've seen have him as the victim so I don't know if I can throw his name out there as well.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Also Superfly Snuka totally murdered a lady.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    (Who is the abuser?)

Austin.

I think she said once that he's her favorite wrestler. That's gonna be one awkward google search once she reads the tweets mentioning it.

• Options
    (Who is the abuser?)

Austin.

I think she said once that he's her favorite wrestler. That's gonna be one awkward google search once she reads the tweets mentioning it.

Yeah. I don't really want to go after her on this stuff because what they went through today with getting their press credentials revoked by Mayweather's group was fucking awful, but sports people kinda brush that shit under the rug until they have to deal with it directly. Like, I'm sure there are other people Beadle has publicly supported that have incredibly shady pasts of some nature, so it's not really a good look.

And I really have no problem with HHH's two tweets tonight. I'll link them here:

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with supporting Mayweather in the ring, especially if you've had a working relationship with him in the past. And HHH is far from the only sports person who threw support behind Mayweather tonight, but Beadle left them alone. The whole thing is upsetting, and I imagine cooler heads will prevail later.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Austin does seem legitimately remorseful of it and has made efforts to promote others learning from his mistakes, which is far more than I can say about Mayweather.

That said I was never really a mega-fan of his like everyone else because I feel like he traded in his technical abilities for a punch-kick style with more mass appeal and none of that was helped by injuries so I really don't feel like I'm missing out by not being a fan of his due to the weirdness around his past actions ok bye.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

FUCK I ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT THIS

• Options
    Whippy wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

FUCK I ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT THIS

Allow just about every episode of OSW Review to remind you...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    (Who is the abuser?)

Austin.

Yeah. I don't really want to go after her on this stuff because what they went through today with getting their press credentials revoked by Mayweather's group was fucking awful, but sports people kinda brush that shit under the rug until they have to deal with it directly. Like, I'm sure there are other people Beadle has publicly supported that have incredibly shady pasts of some nature, so it's not really a good look.

And I really have no problem with HHH's two tweets tonight. I'll link them here:

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with supporting Mayweather in the ring, especially if you've had a working relationship with him in the past. And HHH is far from the only sports person who threw support behind Mayweather tonight, but Beadle left them alone. The whole thing is upsetting, and I imagine cooler heads will prevail later.

If Mayweather's performance was masterful then I am confused by boxing because he kept getting back against the corner and didn't do dick for shit, except grab headlocks and punch Pacquioa in the midsection and punch him low a couple of times.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    (Who is the abuser?)

Austin.

If Mayweather's performance was masterful then I am confused by boxing because he kept getting back against the corner and didn't do dick for shit, except grab headlocks and punch Pacquioa in the midsection and punch him low a couple of times.

@WeedLordVegeta can probably explain this better than me but Mayweather's game has always been defensive. In this particular fight, he ended up landing way more punches than Pacquiao and completely controlling the pace of the match. It's not an appealing style for casual viewers but it was fairly dominate in Mayweather's favor.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    He basically exploits every rule, utilizes every inch of the ring, and gets away with everything the refs and judges will let him get away with. He is incredibly good at what he does, it's just not very interesting to watch.

Compare it to guys in UFC who constantly take down their opponent and lay on top of them, get stood up, take them down and repeat.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »
    (Who is the abuser?)

Austin.

@WeedLordVegeta can probably explain this better than me but Mayweather's game has always been defensive. In this particular fight, he ended up landing way more punches than Pacquiao and completely controlling the pace of the match. It's not an appealing style for casual viewers but it was fairly dominate in Mayweather's favor.

Definitely confirmed that I'm going to stick with watching MMA. Just more exciting.

Speaking of more exciting NJPW has a show tonight http://njpwworld.com/lp/l_live_17_2

Alex Shelley vs. Kenny Omega

Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice vs. Redragon

are two of the matches and I'm excited.

• Options
    The opening eight man tag makes me want a KUSHIDA vs. Mascara Dorada match very badly.

• Options
    Manabu Nakanishi just did a dive to the outside. It didn't look good, but the fact that he tried is awesome.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Austin does seem legitimately remorseful of it and has made efforts to promote others learning from his mistakes, which is far more than I can say about Mayweather.

That said I was never really a mega-fan of his like everyone else because I feel like he traded in his technical abilities for a punch-kick style with more mass appeal and none of that was helped by injuries so I really don't feel like I'm missing out by not being a fan of his due to the weirdness around his past actions ok bye.

I mean, there was a pretty clear divide

Pre-Owen Hart piledriver and post-Owen Hart piledriver Austin are two very, very different wrestlers

He was already on his way to the top in terms of popularity, if it weren't for that injury he likely could've done it with his more technical style

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    He basically exploits every rule, utilizes every inch of the ring, and gets away with everything the refs and judges will let him get away with. He is incredibly good at what he does, it's just not very interesting to watch.

Compare it to guys in UFC who constantly take down their opponent and lay on top of them, get stood up, take them down and repeat.
    figaH7x.png

That's right! The let's watch that watches back is back! New Japan just had a show with 2,460 in attendance at the Grandmesse Kumamoto in Kumamoto. Tonight's match involves a team of younglings taking on IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champions Roppoingi Vice and one of the promotion's bookers, so you know it's going to be a real back and forth even competition.

Jay White, Yohei Komatsu and Sho Tanaka VS Gedo RPG VICE (Beretta and Rocky Romero)

I don't know what the Japanese characters for “jobber entrance” are but I know they look like three guys in black trunks sprinting to the ring a moment after the intro video. The IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champions make their way to the ring with Gedo setting a laid back pace. Huge pop for Gedo removing the dew rag. Side note: the Roppongi Vice theme is already this year's summer jam. The young lions argue but Sho Tanaka successfully convinces his team he should go first through a language made up entirely of light shoves and chest thumping. The crowd chants for Beretta in an attempt to win Dyvim's favor. Even Trent looks confused by his new popularity.

Lockup, Berretta gets a go behind, Tanaka reverses into an arm wringer and Berretta rolls out and sweeps the leg. Berretta locks on a side headlock and gets shoved out before hitting a shoulder block on Tanaka. Berretta stops for some applause and gives a nod like he's testing this newbie on his basic wrestling flashcards. Dropdown and leapfrog leads into an arm drag from Tanaka. Huge dropkick! He's a tornado of nonspecific offense! Trent worriedly asks Romero “what came out of my face?” before making the tag.

Rocky gets a go-behind and again Tanaka wrings out the arm. Romero has a lot less technically proficient answer for this spot: club the little fucker in the back until he gives the fuck up. Romero yells something that sounds like it would come out of Waluigi as he runs off the ropes into a shoulder block. Romero runs to the corner on his knees like a little kid to be consoled by Gedo. In comes Komatsu.

In the tradition of many mentor figures in pro wrestling Gedo jabs him in the eyes then punches him into the corner. Komatsu vaults back from the turnbuckle off an irish whip and hits a shoulder block! Now some punches staggering Gedo into the ropes! Twisting forearm smash! That's the least generic offense out of this team yet! Gedo goes to the corner on his knees and both RPG Vice guys just sort of step away shrugging.

Gedo starts asking “why!?!?” to which Trent answers “You're the leader!” and Romero starts a “Ge-do” chant. Brilliant. Gedo backs into the wrong corner ready for a fight and RPG Vice jump Komatsu from behind before clearing the apron of his teammates. Again Rocky Romero laughs like he just knocked out Little Mac. Gedo drags his forearm across Komatsu's eyes for a four count then tags in Rocky Romero who gives a polite formal bow to Gedo before putting the boots to Komatsu. Tag to Beretta. PK/Standing moonsault combo! 1. 2. Kickout! The crowd gives RPG Vice some applause for their athleticism and Komatsu some applause for not jobbing on the first pinfall. Trent gives Komatsu some boots to the head.

Komatsu gets worked into the heel corner and Gedo gets tagged in. Trent holds Yohei's arms back and Gedo rubs his hands together like a cartoon predator about to eat a small animal before kicking the young boy. Snapmare and a facewash stomp from Gedo who really seems to be enjoying himself. Yohei starts making a comeback with some chops so Gedo just starts gouging his eyes. Irish whip gets reversed and Komatsu attempts a dropkick but Gedo hooks the ropes and Komatsu's kidneys get to experience landing flat on a hard wooden surface.

Gedo misses the kind of lariat you throw if you want to decapitate somebody. Chop exchange turns into elbows and Komatsu wins through the power of fighting spirit! Jay White gets the hot tag and drops Beretta with a flying forearm! The new guy forgets the rule of threes and gets booted in the gut for attempting a fourth forearm. Beretta takes a second to sell his left eyebrow because he's the best. Jay White hits a leapfrog and turns around for a flying forearm then throws another at Rocky Romero. At this pace he'll be out-wrestling Bad Luck Fale in a month.

White calls in his teammates to throw Beretta into the corner. European uppercut from Jay White, Tanaka hits a forearm and Komatsu hits a back elbow! Komatsu holds Beretta for a missile dropkick from Jay White! Holy shit these create-a-wrestlers are out of control! 1. 2. Kickout. Jay white turns Beretta over into a pretty good Walls of Jericho but gets overzealous and ends up in a kind of shitty Boston Crab. Same for Romero from Komatsu. Gedo only has to put up with a single leg crab, presumably because his rookie opponent hasn't learned the two leg version yet. All three heels make the ropes as signified by the ref and Romero lets out an “AAAAAAW FUCK!”

Jay's alone in the ring with Beretta now and immeadiately drops the ball by getting enziguri'd in the back of the skull. He sells like HBK in 1995. Beretta tries to capitalize but gets thrown into the turnbuckles. Rollup! 1...2...kickout! White tries another running forearm into the corner but fool Beretta four or more times shame on him. Romero comes from out of nowhere and like a human Doppler effect you hear him before you see him land a clothesline in the corner. One more! Jay White follows the sound of a constant screaming and hits a dropkick. He starts throwing punches and European uppercuts at the Jr. Heavyweight tag champs before getting double knees to the face. Beretta grabs him before he can colapse and sets him up. STRONG ZERO! 1. 2. 3!

Way more entertaining than it had any right to be. Rocky Romero is like the second coming of Chavo Guerrero. Gedo looks like a proud heel father out there. Romero mouths his own rap lyrics as they reach the top of the rope because of course he does.

I feel like you undersold the opening where the Young Lions all push and shove to start the match and RPG Vice and Gedo all fight to get outside of the ring and not start.

Also here's Nakanishi's dive

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So there's a good chance I gotta drive to North Texas at the end of the month and if that's the case I ain't going to NXT, at least driving myself there.

Might check out Greyhound.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Man, I would not want to be one of the people to catch a Nakanishi dive. The man is basically a small bull, landing knees first because he doesn't trust everyone to catch him.

I'll always love his incredibly slow missile dropkicks though.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    OK so I watched Dana Brooke's debut and her match against Bayley.

I think she would be fine as a kind of Lady Narcissus, and it seems like she's still trying to actually find a character. I wish she'd do some other show-off poses; right now it seems like all she has is Left Arm in Air, Twirl Hands at Waist Into Bicep Flex, and sometimes Double Bicep Flex.

I'd also say give her her own unique colors and I don't think her ring gear is very flattering. Depending on the camera angle the Ab-Window makes it look like she has a gut sticking out.

One of the down sides of the NXT crowd is that when you're over you're over big, but until you get a foot in that door they can be pretty unforgiving.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    wrestling is cool and also terrible it's a real tug o war of emotion

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    VGCW is always cool

on Tuesday the era of the Mastodon, new VGCW Champion Nappa, begins!

also matches! Dr. Eggman vs Kefka vs Flint vs Chief Arino in a ladder match for the Casual title

Miles Edgeworth gets his match against Bowser that he ran off from earlier in the season

and a 40 man Royal Rumble to determine the number one contender to Nappa's title!

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    RUMBLE TIME MOTHERFUCKERS

• Options
    Re: Dana Brooke

If she did the twirl hands at waist motion but turned it into Conan's string dance I would lose my shit

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Watching NXT.
    Damn the camera is going all-in during Team Dubsteps entrance.

Also Carmella is getting a lot better at working the crowd. I need a .gif of the S-A-W-F-T because it was the silliest thing.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Was Dana Brookes hair always all white?
    Feels like trying to look like Daenerys.... (Not that that's a bad thing)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I knew nothing about Blake and Murphy prior to them winning the titles, so I just figured they were going to job to a Lucha Dragons spot fest. Then when they won I figured it was just to get the titles off of the Lucha Dragons quickly to then drop them to either the Vaudevillains or Enzo and Cass. I have kind of fallen in love with this narrative that they are these two bro-tastic jobbers who nobody can figure out how to beat.

• Options
    @SanderJK the commentators mention it. It seems like she dyed it to a lighter shade

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The future is here
    nrub.png
    jrub.png
    krub.png
    m4ub.png

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    The future is here
    nrub.png
    jrub.png
    krub.png
    m4ub.png

ahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    ADR looks like Dan Aykroyd

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    crwth wrote: »

Reminder that Okada donates money to cancer research every time he wins a match with the rainmaker.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    crwth wrote: »

Reminder that Okada donates money to cancer research every time he wins a match with the rainmaker.

Reminder that all industries with ego and power and celebrity create an ecosystem where participants often engage in gross or inappropriate behavior.

And that all industries with ego and power and celebrity create an ecosystem where participants often engage in really inspiring or benevolent behavior.

Pop culture and celebrity will always have both sides of that coin, unfortunately :(

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    reminder that mick foley exists

• Options
    edited May 2015
    This is an honest question, but in recent years has WWE done a good job with discipline?

The DeMott thing was handled pretty poorly at first, but ultimately they did the right thing.

I just think it's fruitless to examine the actions of a particular group of people in an organization. "Wrestlers are always _____" or "Football players do ______". I think the most important thing, as shown poorly by the NFL, is how the leagues or organization choose to deal with those who do bad things.

stevemarks44 on
This discussion has been closed.