As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Attractive architecture, green space...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Which looks more like a gherkin anyway? 30 Mary Axe or Torre Agbar?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    A couple of the buildings in that photo look like they were caught midway through cloaking.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    Ten years ago I would have hated this. Somehow it seems cool now.
    If you want to live in a ’70s time machine, here’s your chance
    Well, someone in Framingham is committed to making sure the ’70s aesthetic is stayin’ alive. A home near the Mass. Pike went on the market last month, and the decor hasn’t been updated since “Bennie and The Jets” was a new hit. The asking price is $624,000 for the five bedroom,. four and a half bathroom 4,133-square-foot home.

The interesting part is that the current owners aren’t the original owners. They just really like the disco-era look.

“The first owners purchased this home as new construction back in 1969,” said realtor Matt Cuddy. “The current owners purchased the home in 1984 with this decor and much of the furniture and made very few changes.”

6.JPG
    5.JPG
    8.JPG
    4.JPG

Link

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    statler wrote: »
    Well, someone in Framingham is committed to making sure the ’70s aesthetic is stayin’ alive. A home near the Mass. Pike went on the market last month, and the decor hasn’t been updated since “Bennie and The Jets” was a new hit. The asking price is $624,000 for the five bedroom,. four and a half bathroom 4,133-square-foot home.

The interesting part is that the current owners aren’t the original owners. They just really like the disco-era look.

“The first owners purchased this home as new construction back in 1969,” said realtor Matt Cuddy. “The current owners purchased the home in 1984 with this decor and much of the furniture and made very few changes.”

6.JPG
    5.JPG
    8.JPG
    4.JPG

Link

It's amazing how quickly those rooms oscillate between "that looks nice" and "oh god my eyes!". There are parts fo the 70's aesthetic that I think are really enduringly nice and parts of it that are literally headache inducing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I don't think I could survive in that bathroom for more than a few minutes at a time.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    there's not enough balance to the colors: each room is overwhelmingly bright or drab.

that said, every room has at least one thing i like. opinions!
    -i love the cheeriness of the bathroom -- especially that obnoxiously pink counter-- and by changing out the wallpaper (maybe leaving one wall as an accent), it could easily move to a less manic Moroccan or Indian inspiration.
    -though i'd be tempted to paint the oppressively dark wood, the built-ins in the living room are great. i love brass, but maybe changing the fireplace doors to chrome would be a simple update. the carpet -- while a lovely color -- would have to go, and should never have camouflaged that chair.
    -the limoncello countertops of the kitchen are not tasteful modern design, but damned cheery and they could stay. paint everything white but the cabinets; alternatively: tuxedo kitchen. i like the crisscrossing yellow of the tile, but the diamonds ought to be a solid color or more finely speckled -- i imagine it's linoleum, so the manufacturer takes blame, there. paint the molding white, and maybe the wallpaper accent wall could work in the dining room.
    -the grasscloth in the bedroom would look really lovely with greys, whites or oatmeal, or a Scandi-style makeover. i kind of hate wall to wall carpet, so i'd favor hardwood. :winky:

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    here are some less (imo) overwhelmingly bright and colorful interiors.
    img1.coastalliving.timeinc.net/sites/default/files/image/2009/06/tropical-5-l.jpg
    bgliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/amusing-colorful-living-room-ideas-colorful-living-room-ideas-meetsharelove.jpg
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/77/71/84/7771842a015c01e9b87f01bc823a6014.jpg
    colorful-living-room-ideas-bright-and-colorful-living-room-ideas.jpg

i tend toward the pops of color or tone on tone schools, but you can totally do rainbows without being eyesearing. usually (from my amateur eye) it means treating a light tone of color as a neutral, and building off that.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

6.JPG
    5.JPG
    8.JPG
    4.JPG

Link

You've got to admit, an 1969 that was fly as all FUCK, c'mon. Especially the t.v. and the record player built into the wall like that, that was baby millionaire level stuff.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My eeeeyyyyessss!!!

tumblr_oamneiKmhm1qcyj2vo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_oamneiKmhm1qcyj2vo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_oamneiKmhm1qcyj2vo2_1280.jpg
    South Korean studio Shinslab Architecture sliced off one end of a rusty old ship and turned it upside down to form this installation for the Seoul edition of MoMA's Young Architects Program

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

6.JPG
    5.JPG
    8.JPG
    4.JPG

Link

You've got to admit, an 1969 that was fly as all FUCK, c'mon. Especially the t.v. and the record player built into the wall like that, that was baby millionaire level stuff.

And the faux chandelier in the bathroom and in the dining room where the ceiling is really too low for it.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I kind of like the ship

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    My eeeeyyyyessss!!!

tumblr_oamneiKmhm1qcyj2vo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_oamneiKmhm1qcyj2vo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_oamneiKmhm1qcyj2vo2_1280.jpg
    South Korean studio Shinslab Architecture sliced off one end of a rusty old ship and turned it upside down to form this installation for the Seoul edition of MoMA's Young Architects Program

Art is subjective and all that, but after years of working in, under, and on large aircraft the sight of that much structural work is actually kind of homey.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea I actually really like it.

In regards to the 70s house, man everyone had the low ceilings and dark wood look. It is just so oppressive. At least if you have high ceilings you get a sense of space. I remember my friends family had a house with a ton of dark wood and the family room was the darkest thing ever. It had a solitary sky light and small windows and they were little islands of light in the perpetual darkness.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The super dark wood paneling in the 70's house makes me want grab a crowbar, the only good thing about that nasty stuff is how much fun it is to rip off a wall

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The super dark wood paneling in the 70's house makes me want grab a crowbar, the only good thing about that nasty stuff is how much fun it is to rip off a wall

It can be lovely in the right setting.

It just never seems to be used that way.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »

It can be lovely in the right setting.

It just never seems to be used that way.

I think dark wood paneling or crazy wall prints could work on one wall, not four.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    When my parents moved in to the house I grew up in, it had a lot of the 70s era dark wood paneling. They ripped out some, but it was pretty tough for them to do, so a fair amount got left too.
    Kinda like growing up half underground.

• Options
    I keep thinking that dark wood paneling like that needs an additional lighter color to set it off. Like maybe only go 2/3rds down the wall with dark paneling and a solid wall with a light tone going 1/3rd of the way up the wall.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Psh not a single one of these can match the Walkie-Talkies sheer malevolence. If your building hasn't destroyed a car and injured pedestrians are you even trying?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I would TOTALLY live in that time machine. Bathroom and all.

I almost paid an extra 500/mo for a place that had a super 60's aesthetic to the built-in wood cabinetry.

...instead I've got a great bay window and horrible kitchen tiles. And, you know, affordable rent, better location, full oven.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Now that we're talking about buying retro homes, how about something even more retro?

The last time this one was for sale was 650 years ago and now it could be yours:

castel1.jpg
    castel3.jpg
    castel6.jpg

homesandproperty.co.uk/luxury/property/castel-valer-magnificent-medieval-castle-owned-by-the-same-italian-family-since-the-14th-century-a103436.html#gallery

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    so are we all pitching in?

Castle SE++ would probably be a good time

• Options
    I still want to live in a missile silo. That would be bad ass.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

The expense makes this unfeasible

clearly we need to start a commune in a missile silo

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Lets compromise and build a castle in a missile silo.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Man I really would love to live in this thing:
    http://www.newfrontiertinyhomes.com/tiny-house/#alpha-page

new-frontier-tiny-homes_alpha_20.jpg?format=2500w
    4371+W+Old+Hickory+Blvd-print-115-138-044+Alpha+Final-4200x2947-300dpi.jpg?format=2500w
    new-frontier-tiny-homes_alpha_9.jpg?format=2500w
    new-frontier-tiny-homes_alpha_16.jpg?format=2500w

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    trailer has a larger, nicer kitchen than my apartment...

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The camera angles are making that thing look WAY bigger than it is.

• Options
    Still, nicer kitchen than I have. Also actually really oversized compared to the rest of the home now that I take a second look at it?

• Options
    The camera angles are making that thing look WAY bigger than it is.

Man pulling out drawer is a cardboard cutout.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    trailer has a larger, nicer kitchen than my apartment...

Do you not have an oven?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    You know, that house is cool and all, but 95k???

• Options
    You know, that house is cool and all, but 95k???

These things are HUGE out here in the NW right now. A high quality portable home can easily run that much. One of our guys at work drove here from the East coast towing his home. He seems to love it.

• Options
    i am amused at the amount of ikea (though it is a fine tradition for set dressing)

i am... conflicted that i can clock ikea that readily

but i fuckin love ikea, guys

that is a gorgeous home, and i wonder how much the solar add-ons would cost. oh, helpful FAQ, "between $8,000 to $15,000."

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    wjHB3oX.png

https://ohiobusinessmag.com/2016/10/03/creating-healthy-cities/

please stay the hell away from city planning, dave