As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    What if we want to live in the castles in parallel instead?

as long as I get the best identical castle

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    That's a pretty good metaphor right there.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

I'm assuming this is one of those things where the Chinese government spends ludicrous amounts of money of public development that is entirely needless so that a bunch of people can have work and their GDP can continue to rise.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    100 year plan! some day, they'll be glad they built that!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

you know, we joke, but I'm guessing that is completely accurate, what with mass immigration around the region as a result of climate change and all

china, like western corporation, looked at the data and said "well, fuck, this is totally going to happen and there's nothing that we can do to stop it"

but instead of "how do we profit from it" they went "how do we adapt to it"

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

you know, we joke, but I'm guessing that is completely accurate, what with mass immigration around the region as a result of climate change and all

china, like western corporation, looked at the data and said "well, fuck, this is totally going to happen and there's nothing that we can do to stop it"

Shit, they've got dozens of empty cities just waiting for people to move in.

• Options
    edited January 2019

oh no i wasn't being facetious. at all. i genuinely believe that china is and has been playing a longer game than anyone currently on the board and will continue to do so.

edit: this is a thing that will derail this thread for fucking pages though, so...

flying buttresses, huh! that sure is a fun architecture phrase.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I envy the survivors who gets to discover and adventure in the lost ruins 500 years later after most of us die off in 2040 and no one knows how to make anything advanced anymore

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

oh no i wasn't being facetious. at all. i genuinely believe that china is and has been playing a longer game than anyone currently on the board and will continue to do so.

edit: this is a thing that will derail this thread for fucking pages though, so...

flying buttresses, huh! that sure is a fun architecture phrase.

Flying buttresses are the best, though!

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    You're a flying buttress!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Kiss my flying buttress ha ha got em

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    You're a flying buttress!

If only!

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Kiss my flying buttress ha ha got em

L E W D

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    New mass transit stations are a huge boon for creating a local economy. There are many NoVa communities that were just open empty fields before they got their metro stations in the 70’s and 80’s

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    I envy the survivors who gets to discover and adventure in the lost ruins 500 years later after most of us die off in 2040 and no one knows how to make anything advanced anymore

I think the more tragic thing is we will absolutely remember. Documentation is so ubiquitous these days, and while books don't hold up so well over time in most environments and digital information will certainly not be recoverable, there will be records. Pictures. The edifices of our past and the documents exhaustively detailing their construction. It'll be up to our descendants to piece it together if everything ever goes toes up, but I believe they can do it. I know they can because human beings have done so with far less before, rebuilt their world from ashes without even the benefits of literacy or widespread information. The tragedy will be our great great great grandchildren looking back at us as the people who could have changed the world and didn't, or who tried to and were ignored, or who didn't even care, and know that it all could have been different.

Then they'll saddle up their pteranodon and fly into the Waste-Skies to do battle with the cannibal pirates of the Poison Coast.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s going to be wild when humans from 20,000 years ago fly their space colonies back to Earth to see how little progress we made in our time compared to them

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I doubt it'll last that long. I suspect that regular maintenance isn't a priority for the station and it'll decay in less than a decade.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    soon they'll be fighting a battle for tallest spire sticking out of the atlantic ocean

morons

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ah, Italien medieval house-towers are en vogue again.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

This is some primo cyber punk dystopia architecture right here

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I wonder how those things do in hurricanes.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I wonder how do you even attempt to dismantle all those stuff in the future without fucking up the area around them

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I wonder how do you even attempt to dismantle all those stuff in the future without fucking up the area around them

Probably easier just to strap rocket engines to the bottom and send the whole thing into orbit.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options

One billionaire at a time.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Probably easier just to strap rocket engines to the bottom and send the whole thing into orbit.

But...I don’t believe these are actual arcologies yet

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

But...I don’t believe these are actual arcologies yet

I mean if you want the people inside to survive that's a whole different process, I'm just talking efficiency.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    This is awful. They somehow misspelled "insult" as "homage".

This $3.5 million home is an over-the-top homage to Wright

Building new, the Gusts were able to do some things Wright didn't, such as install an elevator and create large rooms that suit entertaining three generations of family, and use high ceilings and walls of windows to "fill it with light and views of the creek" that runs south of the house, Dave Gust said. The 15,000-square-foot house on a little more than an acre took about three years to build, he said.
    Emphasis mine.

%231_23.jpg
    :( :sick:

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    yeah, Wright hated high ceilings and corners and a bunch of crap in front of the windows.

he'd have probably liked the furniture though

• Options
    I kinda can't stand the faux brickwork so thin that it looks like stripes. And instead of creating a counterpoint to that, they went with striped furniture and wood.

It'd probably be better if there was something other than stripes to look at, or if they were more subtle, or if they were at least directing the eye like a competant designer.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Oh yep I hate that

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I hate it, but I also hate everything by Wright, so I assume that my hating it is achieving the desired effect.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I hate it, but I also hate everything by Wright, so I assume that my hating it is achieving the desired effect.

I'm not a fan of Wright's aesthetic, but spaces he designed do tend to be friendly to the people living and working in them. Which is more than I can say for nearly every building I've ever been in.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I actually am a huge fan of Wright.

And that interior should be burned so no one has to see it.

How did they manage to make it look SO busy and cluttered?

E: to be clear, I'm a huge fan of his architecture/design

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I visited Falling Water a month ago!

It's certainly unique and as much as I like that his homes exist, I absolutely wouldn't want to own one.

u6sbfxw2tg7c.jpg

ngt8oyxmlyh2.jpg

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Some day I would like to buy an old Sears house:

http://www.arts-crafts.com/archive/sears/

Or maybe build one?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think there's a company that still sell the kits but they're $$.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Some day I would like to buy an old Sears house:

http://www.arts-crafts.com/archive/sears/

Or maybe build one?

Well, hell. There goes my whole day.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2019
    bowen wrote: »
    I think there's a company that still sell the kits but they're $$.

Scandinavian and German kit houses are still easily available across Europe (dunno about the US but it should be do-able)

http://www.scandinavianhomes.com/

tynic on