As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting] thread where everyone is cool to each other

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I haven't been paying very good attention apparently but when did whey get to be $50+ for a 5 lb bag? I was also mostly off it but I'm going to be a whole foods and milk guy for life if this keeps up.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    For a little bit now. Fitness stuff is good money for someone

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Amazon's got "decent" prices. Unfortunately I have to get the fancy shit, because not all whey is lactose free, as I have found out to distressing results. I get Muscle Milk and/or isolate at like 8-9/lb, but they've got other brands at about 7-8.

• Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    I got a weird injury going on, it's a pain in my lower right back, kind of where the lat ends, but it only seems to hurt when I bend over or twist, not really while doing any particular lift. Putting on and taking off my lifting belt definitely makes it hurt though.

Possibly injured your Quadratus lumborum. I did a number on mine like 7 or 8 years ago. Took two weeks off, then two weeks of dedicated core work before I got back into it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well shit, look at that - it's the wook. How's life treating you, man?

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Sonofabitch. I was carrying James in to the grocery store and hit a nice patch of ice. I managed to turn and land on my back.

I wonder how much it will hurt squatting with a couple of cracked ribs and a bruised kidney.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Sonofabitch. I was carrying James in to the grocery store and hit a nice patch of ice. I managed to turn and land on my back.

I wonder how much it will hurt squatting with a couple of cracked ribs and a bruised kidney.

Between a lot and a fuckton.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    That was always my number one fear when I was carrying my babies, sorry to hear it Kak.

I've been saying my littlest one's a natural strongman for a while now, turns out I was right:

YX8vcbHl.jpg

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Just one day of physio and a few days of shit hot painkillers and I feel much better. I think I'll be benching again within a month. I'm not allowed to lift until I'm off painkillers though, and I have some serious posture correction and rotator cuff work to do.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    That was always my number one fear when I was carrying my babies, sorry to hear it Kak.

I've been saying my littlest one's a natural strongman for a while now, turns out I was right:

YX8vcbHl.jpg

Yeah that's a brick baby right there.

My best friend Joseph's got one of those. she actually just started school a few months ago!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Just one day of physio and a few days of shit hot painkillers and I feel much better. I think I'll be benching again within a month. I'm not allowed to lift until I'm off painkillers though, and I have some serious posture correction and rotator cuff work to do.

For adhesive capsulitis, did they give you range of motion stretches, or is there different management for weightlifters

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Apparently it's not adhesive capsulitis, just bog standard tendonitis. I got a bunch of rotator cuff exercises instead. It's a good thing it's not adhesive capsulitis, according to the physio, because I'd be out of action for a year.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Apparently it's not adhesive capsulitis, just bog standard tendonitis. I got a bunch of rotator cuff exercises instead. It's a good thing it's not adhesive capsulitis, according to the physio, because I'd be out of action for a year.

At least, if you wanted to do full range lifts. Healthy people don't usually get frozen shoulder, unless rehab gets criminally lazy recovering them from an injury requiring immobilization.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    145kg bench in the bag!

Moved real easy and smooth off the chest as well, so I got overly confident and tried for 150, which got stuck at the midway point and my spotter had to put fingers on the bar. I think I would have gotten it if I hadn't tried for the 145 first. I'll hopefully get it within christmas.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Looking at the official danish records for raw bench press in the 74-83kg range I would actually be equal to the record (which is 150kg) - I would have to drop 1,5kg BW to fit into the class though. Hmm..

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Yeah but how cool would be to out on another 10kg of muscle and rock the ~98 class?
    Cutting weight is lame!

• Options
    I would probably be as wide as I am tall so it would look kinda ridiculous :biggrin:

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    I would probably be as wide as I am tall so it would look kinda ridiculous :biggrin:

The dream

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Posting this before Peen does:

https://youtu.be/7kbSfFFEvxw

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Just a reminder: world weightlifting championships started 11/20 and go through 11/28

http://m.teamusa.org/USA-Weightlifting/live

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    My friends, the dream is at last a reality. Someone called me buff without being prompted or asked to; pest control guy was here and asked one of my staff where I'd gone, referring to me as the "buff, short guy." I will now be immediately killing myself so that's the last nice thing anyone ever said about me.

• Options
  • Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Alright folks, I know I haven't posted in a while. I also haven't lifted in a while. I did autoimmune protocol for about 90 days earlier in the year to work on some health stuff, and as part of that, I relied mostly on yoga and walking instead of lifting, and just never really got back to it. This fall I've added cycle commuting back into the mix and I finally got off hormonal birth control I'd been on for 10+ years (yay vasectomies!). I want to start lifting again in January. I am unsure where to start up again. I have been doing 2 hours of yoga most evenings and want to continue that as much as I can, so I was debating trying out Starting Strength, which I've never done before (it seems like a pretty small time investment). Thoughts? Advice?

• Options
    In no particular order:
    Warm up and cool down
    Whatever you choose, make sure it's realistic in terms of what you can make a part of your daily/weekly routine. The most ambitious plan in the world gets kicked in the ass if you only end up doing half the workouts.
    Be very wary of anyone trying to sell you something: there really isn't a need to buy special fitness equipment to get started. Real champs wear their favorite band T-shirt and a pair of Samba's.

• Options
    Mogs knows her stuff, she doesn't need the advice for babbies.

Starting Strength is solid, I'd do the variant with barbell rows instead of the power cleans but that's just me. 5/3/1 is also good if you want to get into and out of the gym pretty quickly and I like the change in the rep ranges, keeps my attention better than just 3x5 every session.

Welcome back!

• Options
    You will develop a deep, meaningful relationship with Mr. Ball. Lacrosse Ball.

• Options
    Sorry to talk down to you, @Mogs !
    I'll throw my vote behind starting strength because it is about as straightforward as it gets which is a huge plus in my mind

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    I'll throw in another vote for SS. The highish frequency will help facilitate those sweet sweet muscle memory gains.

• Options
    I think I hit a milestone. I need a backscratcher.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Use the door jamb!

• Options
    Baloo that shit

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Use the door jamb!

But I'd have to get up!

Hey uh, is pie a slow carb or a fast carb? I'm asking for a friend who is totally not me.

• Options
    It's a complex carb - which as far as I know means you can eat infinite amounts.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Rogue has Adidas adipowers for $130 currently as opposed to their normal $199 price tag

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Rogue has Adidas adipowers for $130 currently as opposed to their normal $199 price tag

Oh shiz I need shoes
    Agh what's my sizeee

poo
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular

Oh shiz I need shoes
    Agh what's my sizeee

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Quick now tell him what his address is!

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Shit.

42 Wallaby Way
    Sydney

• Options
    I ordered shoes

My one Black Friday purchase

Hopefully I don't have to exchange on size

poo
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Today is my birthday

I squatted 200 lbs for the first time (assuming this bar is 45 lbs but I assume it is, it's a gym near my parents house)

Pretty sure I'll have 225 in like 2 months

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
This discussion has been closed.