As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting] thread where everyone is cool to each other

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    i am getting my money outta that Spud pulley, but man is it hard to get into position when you've got nothing to hold you down. I thought the reviews that were complaining about that were just being babies but no, they were fairly legitimate.

But I did facepulls and some cable rows which kinda falls between a lat pull down and low row. It was great

Knocked out 3x8 on dips. My presses were weak though. Tried 3x5x75, last rep on the last two sets ended as a push press.

At least push press is a great way to xoverload a strict overhead press. I really need some ways to overload on bench press as I have stalled pretty hard, even after I have switched to a percentage based training regime.

Whatcha doing work out wise?

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    i am getting my money outta that Spud pulley, but man is it hard to get into position when you've got nothing to hold you down. I thought the reviews that were complaining about that were just being babies but no, they were fairly legitimate.

But I did facepulls and some cable rows which kinda falls between a lat pull down and low row. It was great

Knocked out 3x8 on dips. My presses were weak though. Tried 3x5x75, last rep on the last two sets ended as a push press.

At least push press is a great way to overload a strict overhead press. I really need some ways to overload on bench press as I have stalled pretty hard, even after I have switched to a percentage based training regime.

Yeah it's just shitty cause a year ago I was doing 90 for 5's.

boards? Bands? Increase frequency of benching?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »

At least push press is a great way to overload a strict overhead press. I really need some ways to overload on bench press as I have stalled pretty hard, even after I have switched to a percentage based training regime.

Kipping bench press?

Gotta admit I had to google it.. It's that something crossfitters actually do? Because I really didn't think that sport could get any dumber.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

At least push press is a great way to xoverload a strict overhead press. I really need some ways to overload on bench press as I have stalled pretty hard, even after I have switched to a percentage based training regime.

Whatcha doing work out wise?

I have three heavy days with the big three on separate days and then I have two dynamic days with a focus on reps.

Yeah it's just shitty cause a year ago I was doing 90 for 5's.

boards? Bands? Increase frequency of benching?

Frequency might be the ticket here, a worry is if my elbow will allow me to do more.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My biggest worry at the moment is my squat for reps. My 4 x 10 squat is now the same as my 4 x 10 bench. That's no bueno.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

Kipping bench press?

Gotta admit I had to google it.. It's that something crossfitters actually do? Because I really didn't think that sport could get any dumber.

I think (hope) that it's a stupiddumb thing that I just made up because I am a big doofus.
    Like if you did the worm, but on your back. And benching

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Kipping bench press?

I think (hope) that it's a stupiddumb thing that I just made up because I am a big doofus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d4xkFY_YhA

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    There's far worse things you can be doing on the bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJCDcAKShA

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Well he's lucky to still be alive

p.s. I hope he's still alive.

• Options
    My bands came in!

True to form, elitefts managed to fucking not pack one.

Just like the pants I ordered from them that were never shipped and were out of stock and I never got a refund on.

So I get to deal with them on Monday?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Kipping bench press?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d4xkFY_YhA

Jesus fucking christ, if they spent less time trying to cheat and flopping about like morons, maybe they'd actually get stronger...

• Options
    I think that's a joke vid

• Options

I feel like YouTube videos fall comfortably under Poes Law

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    My bands came in!

True to form, elitefts managed to fucking not pack one.

Just like the pants I ordered from them that were never shipped and were out of stock and I never got a refund on.

So I get to deal with them on Monday?

Yeah. EliteFTS needs to hire some people who aren't lifters and who give a shit about customer service. I really only buy from them now if it's something I can't get anywhere else. Otherwise it's a shitshow at least half the time.

• Options
    The amazing thing is the packing slip has my old address and it actually managed to get to my current address with no issue, so there are minor miracles at work.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gotten shafted by elitefts, Kako.

• Options
    That's weird, I've had spotless service from them every time, even through an exchange. I also only order one or two things at a time, it probably helps.

Did 225x20 on the squat today and it felt surprisingly ok! I didn't even die or anything!

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    That's weird, I've had spotless service from them every time, even through an exchange. I also only order one or two things at a time, it probably helps.

Did 225x20 on the squat today and it felt surprisingly ok! I didn't even die or anything!

My last order was a book and a pair of shorts. Also a free beanie for order being more than a certain amount. They forgot the shorts.

Actually, on the packing slip they highlighted the shorts, wrote refund, I contacted them about it, they never got back to me after like two emails and a phone call.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I hope so!

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Did a (fake) powerlifting meet with @Methuselah today at our gym, only two attempts per lift and I did it push/pull cus I don't back squat, but I went 4/4 and set two new PRs. Then I did a front squat single for another 5lb PR just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLknOjCXSdA

• Options
    Did a (fake) powerlifting meet with @Methuselah today at our gym, only two attempts per lift and I did it push/pull cus I don't back squat, but I went 4/4 and set two new PRs. Then I did a front squat single for another 5lb PR just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLknOjCXSdA

Squeeze those cheeks!

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I had my yearly physical this week, and I gained 15 pounds this year, presumably all muscle from starting to lift, since my waistline is not noticeably bigger. I'm wondering if this is the reason why I'm hungrier more often?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I had my yearly physical this week, and I gained 15 pounds this year, presumably all muscle from starting to lift, since my waistline is not noticeably bigger. I'm wondering if this is the reason why I'm hungrier more often?

yea, if your doing a lot of exercise your muscles will be wanting more calories to function, your appetite will go up. If you've added a decent amount of muscle, then even more so.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    So would it be wise to do the starting strength thing I posted earlier in the topic for Mon, Wed, Fri; and then just do some cardio or w/e on Tues and Thrus, or would that be exhausting to not get the good lifts in during the lift days?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    You should be fine. Ultimately, you’ll be the one who can best gauge how much cardio you do and how hard to go without it being something that affects your lifts. But I say go for it if it’s what you want to do.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    ^Yep.

If you're brand new to lifting though keep in mind you're probably going to get a case of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).

And you'll want to ease into the program, you don't gain much by jumping right into a high volume of training and you increase your chance of injury. Otherwise lifting 3 days and cardio 2 days is more than doable.

• Options
    Elitefts is making things right. Good on them!

• Options
    Got my trap bar, so happy. Deadlifted my face off and my lower back is fine, I should have bought one of these things from the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuWc_uwNhLo

• Options
    Trap bars are fantastic

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    That seems awesome. Looks like it's about 5' long or so? I might... Have space for that... I'd heard about them but not seen one in use.

I can just move my couch, right?

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Any room is a weight room if you are swole enough to move the furniture

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Got my trap bar, so happy. Deadlifted my face off and my lower back is fine, I should have bought one of these things from the start.

God damn gun show.

No homo
    a little maybe

rockrnger on
  • Options

That rug really ties the whole room together.

• Options
    It might be time to invest in a trap bar. Right now I can't do deadlifts at all because of lower back fatigue and a sharp pain in my spinae.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    rockrnger wrote: »

God damn gun show.

No homo
    a little maybe

I don't know what was happening with the lighting in that room but I'll take it.

I'm so happy, ordinarily the day after a day with that much deadlift volume my lower back would be super fucked and cranky and today I feel fine. I gotta get some more plates.

dporowski I can measure it when I get home, it's shorter than a standard barbell but not that much shorter. It'd definitely be more space efficient.

Peen on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Good to know I am not the only guy that strains his back occasionally deadlifting. I think my gym has a trap bar. I should give it a whirl tomorrow.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    My press is shamefully weak currently

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Experiences with knee sleeves?

I am officially registered to compete in May in the USAPL. Hoping to hit 525 as a 74- junior. Is it worth it to get the SBD's? How much to size down? If I go that route, how often to train with them - every intensity day (once a week), treat them like wraps (~6 weeks before meet)? Help me, big people.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Yeah, you can't really tell from that photo (other than the legs) but she's fucking yoked. Apparently she's a top Crossfit competitor so I don't feel too bad about her legs being bigger than mine.

I've been making leg progress recently, but I've come to really, really hate my leg days. Maybe those two things are related! My quad development still lags though, I don't have any sweep.

This discussion has been closed.