As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BIOS running slower and slower and seems to have finally given up. [FIXED]

TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailorSeattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
So before I left for work two weeks ago, I noticed my computer's BIOS was taking longer and longer to boot. Not just seconds, but up to a minute or two. Windows would run fine after that and my frame rate in games was normal. When I came home from work today, it's gotten even worse to the point that even attempting to navigate the BIOS menu took forever. The whole thing is running like a slideshow.

My MOBO is an ASUS Sabertooth Z77, the power supply a Corsair HX1000, and I have one stick of Corsair Vengeance RAM plugged in right now with an I7-3770k. My monitor is now hooked to the Z77's HDMI connector and I have a Das Keyboard plugged in. That's it. All other hardware has been stripped. I've also tried rotating RAM sticks.

The one time today I got into the bios menu the time and date were correct so I don't think there's anything wrong with the CMOS battery.

So I'm guessing the question comes down to which part is screwed up. The power supply or the motherboard? Or both? The Corsair HX1000 is about five years old at this point but everything else seemed to power up fine before I stripped the case out unless it's just the rail the mobo hooked into that finally shit the bed. The Z77 is only a couple years old at this point but I'm not ruling anything out at this point. I'm halfway tempted to just get a rush delivery of both a new PSU and MOBO and call it day.

EDIT: So since I had my computer in pieces on the floor anyway, I figured I'd get a new CMOS battery in there for the hell of it while I was out and about running errands. I slapped it in there and my BIOS is now running at full tilt again. I've seen a dying CMOS battery do some weird shit but never stall a system like that. So yeah, you fellow ASUS Z77 owners out there take note of that.

wWuzwvJ.png
TOGSolid on