As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOG.com | AI are creating hyper-detailed HD Kilrathi hair

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I've never played it so what does Postal do that's over the top compared to say GTA? Wikipedia says you don't even have to fight anyone, that's better than GTA. Of course everyone will do the exact opposite, but can someone summarize please the worst?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I've never played it so what does Postal do that's over the top compared to say GTA? Wikipedia says you don't even have to fight anyone, that's better than GTA. Of course everyone will do the exact opposite, but can someone summarize please the worst?
    Their actual tweet was
    DigYuMrUYAE7fRx?format=jpg
    If you are at all familiar with GamerGate you should see why this gif from the game is contentious

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    A stupid tweet about a stupid thing that happened for a game that was bad when it came out. People just like being mad.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's not like the event legit hurt many people, or is still resulting in people getting hurt. It's just people getting mad.

I didn't realise there was a shitty expansion for that shitty game that literally referenced GG, I'd assumed it was the original game. Yeah, no, stick me in the "fuck that shit, don't even sell it" camp. Don't make money off giving that shit a platform.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Gamergate was a miserable pile of awfulness and I think that's what people are pissed off about.

If they hadn't referenced that shite pile of misogyny there wouldn't be near as much controversy.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    their boutique digital store of choice

GOG pretty much has a monopoly on DRM-free gaming. Let's not pretend it's some tiny mom & pop shop that people only visit because it's quaint.

Sorry if that was unclear, but I meant it in the sense of a store that has a curated selection of goods intended for a specific target audience. I am well aware GOG is doing very well.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Postal 2 is a weird case because the devs updated it years after release to specifically include new content about the events of 2014. At the very least GOG should offer a version that is accurate to what was released in 2003.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Gamergate was a miserable pile of awfulness and I think that's what people are pissed off about.

If they hadn't referenced that shite pile of misogyny there wouldn't be near as much controversy.
    Is, my friend. Is. Because they're still running bots that alert the trolls on twitter when somebody is shit talking GrumpyGeese so they can go harass them.

Also the game added in an actual real life Nazi who recently called for journalists to be actually murdered in real life, so yeah. Not about GTA-style silliness. Actually about supporting real life harassment and death threats.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

I played the demo of the original release way back when and there isn't that much to it. You get something very mundane as your "mission", like "go to the grocery store and get milk". However, it's really about seeing what fucked up things you can do for no reason at all. You try and see what the game will allow you to do. Like, chop a person's head off with a shovel and then piss on it or put explosives in a cat's ass (i think that was Postal 2...), for example. Even back then, I had to laugh in disbelief that the game existed at all. It's pure shock value, in my opinion.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    GSM wrote: »

Postal 2 is a weird case because the devs updated it years after release to specifically include new content about the events of 2014. At the very least GOG should offer a version that is accurate to what was released in 2003.
    It does. The DLC that was released recently is a paid expansion. you have to pay six dollars to have the game made even worse than it already was

What a bargain!

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »

I find this all weird seeing as the shit you do is horrible enough in the game. Oh no a horrible game about doing horrible things made a horrible reference. I don't see how this little thing would stop you from buying the game. You run around killing g people for no reason. Innocent people.

And it's horrible. If you're offended by the stupid gamer gate dlc, you weren't going to buy I anyways and there's plenty if other shit in the game to feel offended by that's actually valid.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular

Only one way to find out:
    https://www.gog.com/game/postal_2

If you enjoy "stupid shit"-genre of games, you might find few chuckles there.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »

Only one way to find out:
    https://www.gog.com/game/postal_2

If you enjoy "stupid shit"-genre of games, you might find few chuckles there.

Or just Youtube it if you don't want to spend 10 bucks on that trashfire.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    A store selling something like Postal 2 and the DLC is endorsing the game and it's repugnant message. Especially considering they can drop that piece of shit without any real financial loss.

People don't like when the places they buy things endorse bigotry and misogyny. I'd hate if a place I buy tshirts started printing swastikas on their clothes.

Sure, it's their right to sell that kind of crap, and it's our right to get rightfully pissed about it. Especially when 1) it's the one place where you can buy drm-free games in general, and many specific games in particular; 2) it's a part of the company that makes several amazing games.

I don't understand why is it so hard to get something so simple in 2018.

Oh, and comparing this to book burning or Jack Thompson's crusade is either ignorance or lack of character.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    A store selling something like Postal 2 and the DLC is endorsing the game and it's repugnant message.

No, it's not. It's a business that sells games, selling games. Apple and Google don't endorse the message of every song they sell any more than Amazon endorses the message of every book they sell.

• Options
    A store selling something like Postal 2 and the DLC is endorsing the game and it's repugnant message.
    No, it's not. It's a business that sells games, selling games. Apple and Google don't endorse the message of every song they sell any more than Amazon endorses the message of every book they sell.
    Apple and Google set terms and conditions for the Apps they sell. Both Apple and Google have taken down Apps from their App store when they violate certain criteria.

GOG is a curated set of games for sale. They have total control of what they sell. Profiting off shit like that game is gross, and I will happily critize GOG or Steam or anyone else for doing so. One of the things that set GOG apart from Steam is being curated. If it just becomes another truck full of Nazi shit and shovelware, there's no reason to buy games on GOG over some place else.

Sending GOG that message is valuable both for consumers and the greater marketplace. Also, fuck Nazis and fuck games with actual real life Nazis in them.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I can't speak for everyone, but I always thought GOG's biggest draw was DRM-free games that can be played offline, not curation. At least, that's why I buy from them.

I don't care about the Postal series, but I know I would be awfully disappointed if I couldn't buy a DRM-free version of a game I was looking forward to because some angry mob with an agenda pressured GOG to not sell it.

• Options
    If "fuck Nazis" isn't an agenda you can get behind, I encourage you to reconsider.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If "fuck Nazis" isn't an agenda you can get behind, I encourage you to reconsider.

While I can certainly understand the appeal of sticking it to people you hate, it's always important to remember that there are plenty of people who hate you as much as you hate Nazis.

So, in the interest of not having my own ideas suppressed, I choose not to support suppressing the ideas of others, no matter how great my personal distaste for them.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

While I can certainly understand the appeal of sticking it to people you hate, it's always important to remember that there are plenty of people who hate you as much as you hate Nazis.

So, in the interest of not having my own ideas suppressed, I choose not to support suppressing the ideas of others, no matter how great my personal distaste for them.

Nazis will not reciprocate respect.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Postal 2 is a game about Nazis? Or by Nazis? Or for Nazis? What?

I thought it was a game made to sell to edgy teens who think anything offensive is automatically funny.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »

Fringe groups rarely do. But by not supporting the suppression of fringe ideas, I can more defensibly avoid the suppression of my own ideas from other, more influential groups of people.

Societies are built on such compromises.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Postal 2 is a game about Nazis? Or by Nazis? Or for Nazis? What?

I thought it was a game made to sell to edgy teens who think anything offensive is automatically funny.

It's purpose was to shock and offend.

Mission accomplished.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

Fringe groups rarely do. But by not supporting the suppression of fringe ideas, I can more defensibly avoid the suppression of my own ideas from other, more influential groups of people.

Societies are built on such compromises.

They're not fringe anymore. Are you not looking at the media lately? They're in our own government.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Do you guys want the gog thread closed? Because this is how you get the gog thread closed.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    This thread has the finest title in g&t, though. Delightful.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    This thread has the finest title in g&t, though. Delightful.

It's the first time I've ever inspired a thread title.

I have mixed feelings about it.

• Options
    I'll just post this here for Ivan
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Paradox_of_tolerance

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    In other news, interesting sale going on at gog.com for Interplay stuff:

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180720_interplay_weekend

Lots of good stuff here on sale, 66% off

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Huh. They have SFC, which apparently doesn't work on 64 bit, but not SFC2, which does. Well poop.

And whatever happened to SFC3?

• Options
    I think I have all the Interplay games I wanted on GoG.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Let’s get back on topic, folks. Take it to D&D if you wanna keep going on the tangent.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Huh. They have SFC, which apparently doesn't work on 64 bit, but not SFC2, which does. Well poop.

And whatever happened to SFC3?

FWIW, I can definitely run (their) SFC on my 64-bit Win7.

• Options
    what's sfc

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Starfleet Command, which is basically the classic tabletop game Starfleet Battles with the computer handling all the fiddly bits like turning rates and power allocation.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    SFC2 was good fun. SFC3 was a smoldering trash fire.

rip.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    This week's sale is focusing on the Noclip documentary about GOG. It's a lot more comprehensive than their usual weekly sales so if you want to pad out your collect with weird shit like KKND2, some random D&D game or HOW IS TIMESHIFT STILL 14 AUSTRALIAN DOLLERYDOOS COME ON then now's a good time

https://www.gog.com/partner/noclip

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Guys, no one's asking for a damnatio memoriae. Some people just don't think GOG should sell it. That's really not the be-all, end-all of a game's existence.

The reason it seems so extreme is because you're choosing to address a strawman that isn't here, instead of the actual argument that was put forward?

Is it really that unreasonable for customers to not want their boutique digital store of choice carrying product that is derogatory towards them?

nobody is making you buy it. whatever content standards we apply to steam and gog.com are effectively standards for censorship because nobody can successfully publish w/o at least one of those platforms. postal has like zero artistic merit IMO but that doesn't mean i think others shouldn't be allowed to play it. ideally more good speech (games) counters bad speech.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Dude I agree with you completely but the thread has moved away from the argument since it’s very clear none of us are going to change our minds and further discussion is only going to deteriorate . So let’s move on .

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Can someone change the thread title?