As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GOG.com | AI are creating hyper-detailed HD Kilrathi hair

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Games and Technology
So GOG.com sells video games. No DRM, lots of extras like manuals and forum avatars and wallpapers and strategy guides, you can play them offline, great catalog of wonderful games including lots of really good old games, etc.

There's also GOG Galaxy which is like the Steam client but for GOG.com.

The best game on GOG.com is TIE Fighter, specifically the 1995 Collector's CD version.

TychoCelchuuu on

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I got the beta, finally, pretty nice.
    Also, how do I get the Collector's CD to show for TIE and XWing? Still just the two versions I already had

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    Looks like they've acquired the distribution rights to Star Trek games: 25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites, and Starfleet Academy. I hope Away Team is coming soon, I have fond memories of that game.

I never played the Bridge Commander games but I heard good things. The Elite Force games were really good.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I remember liking 25th as a kid (never played the rest) - kinda curious if it and the other games still hold up past the nostalgia/"I'm playing as the original cast!" thrill so many years later.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Bridge Commander was very good, as was the Starfleet Command games.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Catshade wrote: »
    Looks like they've acquired the distribution rights to Star Trek games: 25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites, and Starfleet Academy. I hope Away Team is coming soon, I have fond memories of that game.
    Oh man, please please please A Final Unity next. <3

Oh my god the 25th Anniversary was so fucking awesome! Like playing new episodes of the show!!!!
    fuck yeah!!!!!

camo_sig2.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Aww yeah, I've been wanting to play these games for a while.

sig.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I hope we get Star Trek: Borg eventually.

100% serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQJKfG_p2o

You don't care about that. You just want to kill some Borg! *Snap*

wVEsyIc.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Agreed, I am always up for John de Lancie chewing scenery.
    100% serious.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    IMO, "Borg" and the other FMV heavy games are just as good by tossing out the puzzles and other "interactive" bits and simply watching them as movies.

Big fan of the classic adventures, though. (And the X-Wing series, of course, though with my userpic, that should go without saying.)

Commander Zoom on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    100% serious.

I met de Lancie at Megacon a couple years ago. Very nice guy. Though he's gotten one heck of a beard in recent years.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    100% serious.

I met de Lancie at Megacon a couple years ago. Very nice guy. Though he's gotten one heck of a beard in recent years.

I went to a Star Trek convention back right after TNG ended (I remember seeing the commercial for it during All Good Things...) and he was the guest speaker. I was about 11 or 12. I remember waiting by the door of the hotel after it was over, waiting for my mom to come pick us up, reading my Star Trek Encyclopedia that JDL had signed, when he come walking to the doors on his way out. As he passed us (me, my friend, and my younger brother), he said "Take it easy, guys." I thought that was super cool.

cj iwakura wrote: »
    100% serious.

I love that idea that he's nice despite the huge beard, like, normally people with huge beards are jackasses, but this guy defies the norm!

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Darksiders 1 & 2, Saints Row 2 and 3, and Metro: Last Light Redux all hit GOG. Oh, and the relevant DLC's as well.

http://www.gog.com/news/major_releases_unchained_from_drm

Games are on discount for one week, varying between 50% and 67%.

Man I hope we see a good Darksiders 3 some day. Sure it kind of slowed down in the 2nd half of DS2, but the setting was cool, and I loved the big and bold stylised designs. Probably one of the few "post apocalypse" games that decided it's OK if we have some colour.

subedii on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    woo witcher 3 preloaded through gog galaxy

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    heh

they acquired Cyberia 2: Resurrection

all 330 of us who voted for it should be happy

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    heh

they acquired Cyberia 2: Resurrection

all 330 of us who voted for it should be happy

I actually have that, but don't know if I ever played it.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So the people who made Expeditions: Conquistador (a strategy RPG where you take the role of a Spanish expedition that reaches the shores of America a year before Cortez historically would have) have announced that they're working on another Expeditions title - Expeditions: Viking.

To coincide with that announcement, Conquistador is currently on sale. I think it's worth five bucks.

WotanAnubis on
    Don't like that premise though.

camo_sig2.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Don't like that premise though.

Fair enough. It is pretty tricky territory, to say the least. The game at least doesn't hide the fact the European arrival was devastating to the Americas and it does give you the option to not be Cortez if you don't want to.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The game itseslf is also balls-hard, but I really enjoyed the character interactions

steam_sig.png
    The GOG summer sale is live!!

It appears that as you progressively spend more money in store, you unlock free games. For me they're Sim City 2000 (which I already own on GOG, so that's pretty lame), STALKER Clear Sky (which I own on Steam) and Xenonauts (which I also own on Steam), so they're not too appealing. Otherwise it just seems like deep discounts and bundles that are fairly typical - nothing timed, no flash sales

steam_sig.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm really tempted by the Lucasfilm bundle of point and clicks. I'm slowing buying all the adventure games I played way back when and that bundle has a lot of them. If they could slap together a Kyrandia bundle I'd be thrilled too!

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    The "Game Deals" section says next deals in 10h 53m for me so that may me rotating sales every 12 hours. Not sure when the sale started. But at least during this sale, I don't have to compulsively check GOG to make sure I don't miss a 5 minute sale.

And yeah that Lucasfilm one is tempting to me too. But if I'm honest, I already have Sam & Max and I'm probably not going to even play it, let alone any of the others.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I use my GOG stuff on my Venue Pro 8 tablet during lunch breaks at work. They're perfect because they don't need an internet connection. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so the old point and click games are all pretty well playable.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Why aren't we talking about the fact that Starfleet Command Gold released the other day? Man I put some hours into that game.

Are the free games rewards the same for everyone?

steam_sig.png
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

I thought so. I got Simcity, Stalker and Xenonauts.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    Derrick wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »

I thought so. I got Simcity, Stalker and Xenonauts.

There are going to be a lot off Simcity 2000 keys floating around, then

steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So... Baldur's Gate Enhanced...

If I've never played any of them... Should I be rectifying this now?

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So... Baldur's Gate Enhanced...

If I've never played any of them... Should I be rectifying this now?

YES

If my wife leaves me... I'm coming for you, Buttcleft.

to thank me for getting rid of the thing that pointlessly pulls you away from gaming?

Buttcleft wrote: »

to thank me for getting rid of the thing that pointlessly pulls you away from gaming?

Yes.

Buttcleft wrote: »

Yes.

Who needs physical relations when theres an iron crisis to solve!

you must gather your party before venturing forth

Sigh. So I was looking at the package that has BG1,2, and IceWind Dale... Clicked on BG1 to watch the trailer and then clicked the "add package" on the right side. Well it turns out that package only had BG1 and 2 in it, and not IceWind Dale. For the same cost.

I sent an email over to Support so we'll see what they say but I'm kinda bummed I didn't look at it close enough.

something similar happened to me a few years ago

I can't recall the specifics, but the support ticket ended with them gifting me the games in question - something about having paid an equivalent price

Also, the three-pack is a penny cheaper! They're giving you a penny to pick up Icewind Dale.

I think you've got a reasonably good chance at getting the game.

(this was before they launched the 30-day money back guarantee, so maybe there's some options there?)