As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOG.com | AI are creating hyper-detailed HD Kilrathi hair

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I like puzzles in these games, but what I remember about Flashback is a ton of roll-shoot-roll-roll-shoot-roll-roll-roll. I liked Out of This World a lot better for being more puzzley and adventurey.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I like puzzles in these games, but what I remember about Flashback is a ton of roll-shoot-roll-roll-shoot-roll-roll-roll. I liked Out of This World a lot better for being more puzzley and adventurey.

Yeah, there's definite puzzle sections and definite combat sections. Even the puzzles have a decent amount of combat. The addition of the rewind ability should hopefully make the combat less aggravating.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I remember getting out of the jungle and into the city but I don't remember anything after that. I feel like I got stuck somewhere in there. But regardless, I remember thinking I really liked that game

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    So I guess that person was fired.

They blame someone for all those stupid posts?

Edit: Just read an article supporting the guy who got fired. They made it sound like he was victim of doxing and threats that were not warranted. Also sounds like others supported the guy and blamed GoG. If what I read here this wasn't his first mistake and just a string of mistakes and his canning was justified.

There was some doxxing the last time this happened (albeit at the spokesperson for CD Projekt, not the GoG Company).

Not that the guy didn't deserve to get fired though.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah, things went from a bad employee deserving to be let go from a person being harassed, which is obviously always wrong and bad.
    the internet really was a mistake.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    yeah, things went from a bad employee deserving to be let go from a person being harassed, which is obviously always wrong and bad.
    the internet really was a mistake.

Humanity's ability to communicate was the biggest mistake.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I remember getting out of the jungle and into the city but I don't remember anything after that. I feel like I got stuck somewhere in there. But regardless, I remember thinking I really liked that game
    You might've gotten stuck on the first "puzzle" in the city, which is a running jump into a grab on the ledge above. I still remember getting stuck on that one as a kid, then doing it completely by accident (I believe you just have to keep holding jump and you'll automatically grab the ledge).

I still prefer Another World for how unique and creepy every screen is, but I love Flashback's combat. It's so fast and smooth when you get into the rhythm of it.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Flashback had some of the best art direction for any game at that time. It had great atmosphere and feel to it. Action was so intense for something on the Genesis. I played the hell out of it back in the day.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    GOG is doing a sale.

And you can have a free copy of Full Throttle: Remastered!

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    hmm thronebreaker is 25% off

Anybody tried it?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    it looks interesting. The trailer is pretty cool.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    hmm thronebreaker is 25% off

Anybody tried it?

I finished it. It's a neat little game. They story does a lot of the "moral choice with unforeseen consequences" bits that the Witcher games did. The campaign is a bit on the easy side, though some of the puzzle battles can be real head scratchers.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Just played through the original Red Faction. I hadn't ever played it so I thought I'd finally play it as it was on sale on GOG a few months ago. In summary, it's just merely okay. I bet the multiplayer would be a lot more fun. The campaign isn't that interesting, I really didn't give a fuck about whatever story they were trying for, and the gameplay boiled down into:

1. Shoot the same 3-4 bullet sponge guards over and over
    2. Briefly shoot some mutant stuff
    3. Shoot the same 3-4 bullet sponge mercenaries over and over

The NPCs are worthless. They just tell you to go away. They serve no purpose other than to make the areas feel more inhabited, I guess. The game talks about putting away your gun when approaching certain people, which I tried to do, but I found it didn't really make a difference except in the god awful stealth sections. Otherwise, the only difference seemed to be that they would run away from you. They do shout for guards sometimes, but it didn't seem to actually bring any in. I tried not to kill them, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. You could probably gun down all the NPCs with zero changes or consequence. At least in Half-Life, you would rescue them or have Barneys help you or something.

I was playing on "Hard" and by the time you start fighting the mercenary dudes, the game gets way too difficult. Only because the mercs are gigantic bullet sponges and deal HUGE amounts of damage on every shot with very high accuracy. Then they introduce the railgun which shoots through walls and kills pretty much everything in 1 hit. So you repeatedly get killed by guys that randomly spawn and have the railgun, and then with high accuracy, kill you in 1 shot, even when you are maxed at 100 health and 100 armor. All throughout the game, the enemies are strafing around crazily like you're playing Deathmatch mode against bots or something. Add to the fact that your gun shots randomly go in different directions (minus rockets and railgun) and never straight, it gets really frustrating.

The AI is pretty buggy too. It seems to get stuck a lot and if you go behind a wall right when they see you, they sometimes just stand there and stop pursuing. This is required though because you need to pick them off 1 by 1 with the railgun through the wall otherwise they're gonna instantly kill you. The final boss's ship even got stuck on a beam and i just pelted it with rockets till it died. The ending sequence you have to defuse a bomb with 2 codes, which appear to be random. Each time I failed, the codes were different. Yeah that's real fun, just start spamming and hope you get the right code before the 40 seconds is up. I guess the idea here was to try and make it feel hectic, where you have to quickly figure out the code before it goes off, but it's just annoying.

The game has Goldeneye-like spawning tendencies for enemies too. Sometimes enemies will just pop into existence right behind you and then kill you, very frustrating. Once you get the railgun, you can even see them pop into existence (through a wall) as you are killing enemies. The game is also dragged out, by the time I fought the mutants, I was ready for the game to be over, but then you have that mercenary section.

The guns were okay, standard stuff. Rockets are VERY weak. You can pelt a guy 3 times with a rocket and they still don't die. Even with the Fusion Rocket Launcher, which creates a huge explosion, sometimes doesn't kill in 1 hit. I also found the weapon order confusing. For example, the shotgun comes before the pistol. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason except for there being 4 categories of weapon.

Finally, we get to the GeoMod stuff. At the beginning of the game, it was pretty cool to start deforming the terrain and such. The sad thing is most of the game you don't really use it. There are a few sections where you need to go around a door or vent, but they are very few and far between and you don't get that many explosives. It was cool to see some of the destruction you could cause, but this feature, the main feature of the game, was very underutilized.

EDIT: I should mention also that there is a bug related to having a high framerate. There is a section where you release a submarine into the water and are supposed to jump in. However, if the framerate is too high, the submarine explodes on contact with the water. I at first thought I was doing something wrong until I looked it up. I had to use a fan made patch, Pure Faction, to reduce the framerate down to 30 for it to survive, then change it back.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    GeoMod shines when you give yourself unlimited ammo.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Red Faction 1 was a really cool game in 2001

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    You play older games on Hard at your own risk, really. They were generally balanced for Normal and higher difficulties were "cheese or die".

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Just played through the original Red Faction. I hadn't ever played it so I thought I'd finally play it as it was on sale on GOG a few months ago. In summary, it's just merely okay. I bet the multiplayer would be a lot more fun. The campaign isn't that interesting, I really didn't give a fuck about whatever story they were trying for, and the gameplay boiled down into:

The NPCs are worthless. They just tell you to go away. They serve no purpose other than to make the areas feel more inhabited, I guess. The game talks about putting away your gun when approaching certain people, which I tried to do, but I found it didn't really make a difference except in the god awful stealth sections. Otherwise, the only difference seemed to be that they would run away from you. They do shout for guards sometimes, but it didn't seem to actually bring any in. I tried not to kill them, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. You could probably gun down all the NPCs with zero changes or consequence. At least in Half-Life, you would rescue them or have Barneys help you or something.

I was playing on "Hard" and by the time you start fighting the mercenary dudes, the game gets way too difficult. Only because the mercs are gigantic bullet sponges and deal HUGE amounts of damage on every shot with very high accuracy. Then they introduce the railgun which shoots through walls and kills pretty much everything in 1 hit. So you repeatedly get killed by guys that randomly spawn and have the railgun, and then with high accuracy, kill you in 1 shot, even when you are maxed at 100 health and 100 armor. All throughout the game, the enemies are strafing around crazily like you're playing Deathmatch mode against bots or something. Add to the fact that your gun shots randomly go in different directions (minus rockets and railgun) and never straight, it gets really frustrating.

The AI is pretty buggy too. It seems to get stuck a lot and if you go behind a wall right when they see you, they sometimes just stand there and stop pursuing. This is required though because you need to pick them off 1 by 1 with the railgun through the wall otherwise they're gonna instantly kill you. The final boss's ship even got stuck on a beam and i just pelted it with rockets till it died. The ending sequence you have to defuse a bomb with 2 codes, which appear to be random. Each time I failed, the codes were different. Yeah that's real fun, just start spamming and hope you get the right code before the 40 seconds is up. I guess the idea here was to try and make it feel hectic, where you have to quickly figure out the code before it goes off, but it's just annoying.

The game has Goldeneye-like spawning tendencies for enemies too. Sometimes enemies will just pop into existence right behind you and then kill you, very frustrating. Once you get the railgun, you can even see them pop into existence (through a wall) as you are killing enemies. The game is also dragged out, by the time I fought the mutants, I was ready for the game to be over, but then you have that mercenary section.

The guns were okay, standard stuff. Rockets are VERY weak. You can pelt a guy 3 times with a rocket and they still don't die. Even with the Fusion Rocket Launcher, which creates a huge explosion, sometimes doesn't kill in 1 hit. I also found the weapon order confusing. For example, the shotgun comes before the pistol. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason except for there being 4 categories of weapon.

Finally, we get to the GeoMod stuff. At the beginning of the game, it was pretty cool to start deforming the terrain and such. The sad thing is most of the game you don't really use it. There are a few sections where you need to go around a door or vent, but they are very few and far between and you don't get that many explosives. It was cool to see some of the destruction you could cause, but this feature, the main feature of the game, was very underutilized.

EDIT: I should mention also that there is a bug related to having a high framerate. There is a section where you release a submarine into the water and are supposed to jump in. However, if the framerate is too high, the submarine explodes on contact with the water. I at first thought I was doing something wrong until I looked it up. I had to use a fan made patch, Pure Faction, to reduce the framerate down to 30 for it to survive, then change it back.

Is this the original red faction? I never played the single player but the multilayer was a lot of fun

• Options
    Don't beat RF2, tho
    it's really that bad

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The only thing I remember from Red Faction 1 was stealing the drill tank and drilling through as much of the level as possible.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »

Is this the original red faction? I never played the single player but the multilayer was a lot of fun

Yep, the original game.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    You play older games on Hard at your own risk, really. They were generally balanced for Normal and higher difficulties were "cheese or die".

Disagree. This one is just stupid. Plenty of older games "Hard" or some equivalent are a lot more fair. Now if I played on the "Impossible" mode (which is the highest), then yeah maybe.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Terror from the deep says “hi”.

• Options
    Sounds like layoffs hit GOG as well. :(

• Options
    Bum. I wonder what that means for CD Projekt Red...

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Bum. I wonder what that means for CD Projekt Red...
    Not much. I think the layoffs specifically hit GOG, and not CD Projekt as a whole.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    12 people, and GoG says they're hiring more than that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Terror from the deep says “hi”.

Never played it. I should clarify the "This one is just stupid". I meant Red Faction 1, not his statement.

• Options
    12 people, and GoG says they're hiring more than that.
    Hm, but also.
    https://kotaku.com/facing-financial-pressures-gog-quietly-lays-off-at-lea-1832879826

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The 7th Guest is being removed tomorrow due to publisher request, so if you want it, get it now. It might be back, but I don't know.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I recently found a game from my youth that unfortunately isn't on GOG, though I'd love it if it were. All I remembered was the time frame and roughly what the graphics looked like. After playing it 22-23 years ago, I found it to be Hellbender published by Microsoft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLn8sYkQT90

Love that 90s dance music. I played it at a friend's house whose dad had just gotten a ridiculous 200 mhz laptop and had this game loaded on it. I remember being blown away by the graphics. All I remembered was your character's hand in the cockpit (which I remembered as a darker color, but it was probably just the laptop's display), and the water/rain. I put that together with the year + the knowledge it was a Microsoft published game and boom, there it is.

EDIT: Also apparently the computer voice is Gillian Anderson.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I recently found a game from my youth that unfortunately isn't on GOG, though I'd love it if it were. All I remembered was the time frame and roughly what the graphics looked like. After playing it 22-23 years ago, I found it to be Hellbender published by Microsoft

Oh! I know this one. Hellbender isn't on GOG, but it's the sequel to Fury3, the spiritual sequel to Terminal Velocity, which is on GOG. Terminal Velocity is a gorgeous DOS game; it blew my mind at the time.

Frem on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    I recently found a game from my youth that unfortunately isn't on GOG, though I'd love it if it were. All I remembered was the time frame and roughly what the graphics looked like. After playing it 22-23 years ago, I found it to be Hellbender published by Microsoft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLn8sYkQT90

Love that 90s dance music. I played it at a friend's house whose dad had just gotten a ridiculous 200 mhz laptop and had this game loaded on it. I remember being blown away by the graphics. All I remembered was your character's hand in the cockpit (which I remembered as a darker color, but it was probably just the laptop's display), and the water/rain. I put that together with the year + the knowledge it was a Microsoft published game and boom, there it is.

EDIT: Also apparently the computer voice is Gillian Anderson.

it looks like the original descent in some ways.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    I recently found a game from my youth that unfortunately isn't on GOG, though I'd love it if it were. All I remembered was the time frame and roughly what the graphics looked like. After playing it 22-23 years ago, I found it to be Hellbender published by Microsoft

Oh! I know this one. Hellbender isn't on GOG, but it's the sequel to Fury3, the spiritual sequel to Terminal Velocity, which is on GOG. Terminal Velocity is a gorgeous DOS game; it blew my mind at the time.
    Seconded, that game's visuals made me think I was somehow cheating when I played it on my aging PC. Also, I had no idea Fury 3 was a spiritual sequel to it, I should check it out, I love TV.

• Options
    Wow, didn't see that coming: https://www.gog.com/news/release_diablo
    Blizzard and GOG.COM have collaborated on an updated version of the game, which includes out-of-the-box Windows 10 compatibility, and a host of bug fixes. Players can choose either version of the game from a launcher.

Apparently Warcraft I and II are coming soon.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    That is weird... Considering they have WC2 on their website for you to download if you bought and registered with Blizz. Guessing they are getting extremely lazy and letting someone else put a wrapper around it now.

Still going to buy it since I don't have a copy of D1. Hahahahahaha.

Edit: Ok, I'm a stupidhead... WC3 is on their site, not WC2. I remembered the 2 from D2 and put it on WC.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The vanilla version comes alongside a custom built DirectX version that you can upscale with 1:1 pixels and no pixel stretching/smoothing. That alone might be worth the rather high asking price for me...

• Options
    The vanilla version comes alongside a custom built DirectX version that you can upscale with 1:1 pixels and no pixel stretching/smoothing. That alone might be worth the rather high asking price for me...

I think $10 is the right price for it, especially with the enhancements.

• Options
    considering the supply of digital Diablo 1 was zero before this, and demand was high (#1 game on the community wishlist), 10 bucks is a steal.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kprs37dawchn.png
    holy shit what?
    I always just assumed War 1 and 2 and Diablo 1 were on here. That is crazy they aren't. (not even the War 2 BNet edition!)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I hadn't realized until you posted that picture that Blackthorne and The Lost Vikings were available for download. I've got something to do today while the kiddo is at preschool!