As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the Australia Thread. ytrap tsinummoc eht nioj

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    You don't have to apologize. I think very highly of you and I appreciate your help and support. Your verbosity is probably being driven by a well of helplessness and sadness that you're trying to find a way to minimize and exert control.

*hugrunt*

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I am a bit devo that passion and intensity about some topics (which I acknowledge I have in droves) is apparently a character defect to some people.

Like even if disagree with someone I can usually respect their passion, because I can at minimum empathize with how important an issue is to them.

So my takeaway from this is that he doesn't care about how much I care about Marriage Equality. We actually agree that it needs to be a thing, but we disagree on its delivery to the people.

And that's enough for him to not give a shit about my friendship anymore, because it makes HIM uncomfortable. WTF kind of friend is that? That speaks very poorly about his character! Cuz the bottom line is: I'm not wrong, I'm just an uppity c--- (not his words, just my interpretation of our exchange and the outcome).

Well at least maybe I can come out on Facebook now.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    man if I thought I could get past the basic intro level classes

I'd love to do more schooling on linguisticis. Language is so fascinating.

Like, why does the word "ignorant" have such a connotation. why does it cause such a visceral reaction.

this fascinates me.

Also, i'm trying to work out some pent up stress and frustration from the last few days.

Also, adult conversation. there's only so many times a day that you can go 'gah? gah. gahhhh cah! cah! Cah!" in response to your infant before you will talk to anybody about anything for extended periods of time.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    never stop being intense about things that matter viv

I'll fight anyone who says otherwise

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Decided this morning voting for the Greens alone wasn't enough.

Joined membership this morning. Going to do whatever it takes to help them out in the area, and show my face in the community as much as possible to influence that.

I think Australia is a long way from electing a Donald Trump, but I thought America was too, and the Greens are a strong third party in a system that supports third parties, so I can really make a difference.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Australia might not have a Donald Trump style person in charge, but we'll absolutely hand over the balance in the house/senate to them. We're already halfway there with the One Nation result from the last election.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Like, why does the word "ignorant" have such a connotation. why does it cause such a visceral reaction.

this fascinates me.

It's probably got something to do with being called this in a dismissive way, like you said on FB. Like, "you're ignorant on this issue" to me reads as a non-judgemental statement of fact.

But! I haven't been called ignorant very much in my life. I have no emotional connection to that word.

Maybe when someone gets called it a lot, it becomes associated with certain emotions. Context matters here, but being told you're ignorant is often paired with saying something stupid. It's out of ignorance, not wilful malice, but perhaps the topic was sensitive? The person they're talking to didn't have the energy to educate, and thus left it at "you're being ignorant", and walk away.

If you're someone reasonably sheltered with little exposure to "others" (like, say, a cishet white male who only hangs out with other cishet white males), being accused of ignorant probably happens a lot. There is SO MUCH they don't know about how the world works and sometimes our brains break to describe it to them, and thus we can only say they're ignorant. And because SO MANY of these particular people get called ignorant regularly (because, again, of lack of exposure), it begins to feel like there's a club where they're not welcome, and everyone in that club is dismissive of them.

Thus "ignorant" equates to dismissiveness. It also equates to "wrong" - which challenges one's basic understanding of the world. So they hear that they're "wrong" and that they "don't matter", rather than they lack knowledge.

That's not to say that minority groups don't use it in a dismissive way, because they do! That adds to the problem. The biggest issue though, as Javen says on that same FB thread, is when people's brains stop working once the word "ignorant" is thrown and do nothing to rectify that. It then becomes an argument about their identity - "I'm not ignorant" (i.e., I'm not wrong and I matter!) - rather than about the stance or the issue.

The identity thing fits with a few other examples involving labels. Consider transphobic or homophobic people. They don't like being "called" those things even when every word they utter or action they take is a clear reflection of transphobic or homophobic views.

Ultimately, I think it's the label. How dare we ascribe a label onto them that they don't agree with? Ignorant, transphobe, homphobe, bigot. All the same, really, because we are labelling them as something they perceive as unacceptable. That's human nature, too. We all choose our own labels, and we all struggle when a label that doesn't fit right is given to us.

The difference is that bigots and the like cannot divorce their problem with the label from the problem with their views. I can say, hey, I've been given this label. I don't like it. Why do I have this label and how do I get rid of it? There's a strong argument to imply that minority groups are well-practiced at that sort of thought exercise... as opposed to other, historically more privileged and sheltered people who just whine and complain about a given label rather than do a goddamn thing about it.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Sorry if that post seems a bit rambly... I started out a bit unclear but stuff started occurring to me as I was typing and I think I got to something resembling a point at the end.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Ultimately I think the biggest issue we struggle with is that a political discussion, to be productive, requires relatively calm and reasoned discourse. When one side is not employing reason but emotion, that makes it very difficult to address any actual issues, because emotion is something so subjective that it can't actually be realistically worked past.

On top of that, it's very difficult to reconcile beliefs when you can't even reconcile realities.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Sorry if that post seems a bit rambly... I started out a bit unclear but stuff started occurring to me as I was typing and I think I got to something resembling a point at the end.

That was what I felt like in fb. Except when I hit enter there without thinking, it turns into a new post. It's why I apologised. Lol. Don't wanna be a bother.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Ultimately I think the biggest issue we struggle with is that a political discussion, to be productive, requires relatively calm and reasoned discourse. When one side is not employing reason but emotion, that makes it very difficult to address any actual issues, because emotion is something so subjective that it can't actually be realistically worked past.

On top of that, it's very difficult to reconcile beliefs when you can't even reconcile realities.

I'm curious now...in the exchange with my ex-friend that I linked earlier, would you say that was too emotional to have achieved anything?

Because I was mad, but I know I was also making sense.

I'm asking because it's really hard to ask for people to be calm and reasonable during discussions that directly impact their livelihood. This wasn't one of those arguments, but how does one stay calm when the other side is literally asking for you to not exist anymore?

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I'm curious now...in the exchange with my ex-friend that I linked earlier, would you say that was too emotional to have achieved anything?

Because I was mad, but I know I was also making sense.

I'm asking because it's really hard to ask for people to be calm and reasonable during discussions that directly impact their livelihood. That wasn't one of this arguments, but how does one stay calm when the other side is literally asking for you to not exist anymore?

I don't think that conversation was particularly emotional at all, up until the point where he accused you of being emotional. Winkies and smileyfaces have no place in an adult discussion of political topics. It's a copout that allows someone expressing opinions to decide later that they didn't mean them if it turns out what they said wasn't well received. And, surprise, that is exactly what he did. And that's a really shitty way to act, because it's weak. It's wanting to express opinions without having to experience the potential backlash when people don't like your opinions.

However, the entire discussion was spawned from mismatched knowledge between the two of you. The Liberals very cleverly framed the entire plebiscite in such a way that those who are only superficially aware of the issues it concerns saw it as a compromise, or an outreach. Of course, it wasn't, but a cursory examination of the issue doesn't make that obvious. He's far from the only one who thought the plebiscite would be embraced by the LGBTQ community, and was surprised when it wasn't.

Which would have been fine, had he accepted the correction. Your initial reply to him was calm, well explained, and set the tone for a reasonable and relatively adult discussion. Which is when the winkies started. Which then naturally left a bad taste in your mouth, because it comes across as making light of a very serious thing. You were intense, sure, but issues like the plebiscite require intensity, because if there's one thing everyone can agree on about Australians, it's that they are too casual about important political issues. Those who believe passionately or are involved in a given cause tend to be intense about it, because intensity is how things get done.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Just going to put this here.

http://greens.org.au/join

If you support the Greens, consider joining. It makes a much stronger statement than just voting, and the local branch can always use members.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    I'm actually interested in joining... can I do that if I'm not a citizen?

• Options
    I'm actually interested in joining... can I do that if I'm not a citizen?

Political parties are free to set their own requirements, there's no law governing it, and they didn't ask me for proof of citizenship at any point.

• Options
    citizenship.

sigh

So next April I have to apply to get my permanent residency 2.0. This one gives me not only indefinite staying ability, but also indefinite travel entry/re-entry privileges. This is apparently the easiest step of the process and only costs $190. So yay.

But Ecco mentioned last night while we were talking about it that I should just look into citizenship.

And i hesitated. I mean, it's always been a consideration of mine to do so. But right after the election it was just a weird moment.

Ellie has her citizenship for NZ. She's elligible for US citizenship, but I'm hesitating claiming it for her now, after Tuesday.

I guess I should look more into what differences there is with being a permanent resident vs citizenship. I mean, I can vote as a resident. I get national healthcare. Is it worth the added stress/paperwork etc for the new passport?

• Options
    citizenship.

sigh

So next April I have to apply to get my permanent residency 2.0. This one gives me not only indefinite staying ability, but also indefinite travel entry/re-entry privileges. This is apparently the easiest step of the process and only costs $190. So yay.

But Ecco mentioned last night while we were talking about it that I should just look into citizenship.

And i hesitated. I mean, it's always been a consideration of mine to do so. But right after the election it was just a weird moment.

Ellie has her citizenship for NZ. She's elligible for US citizenship, but I'm hesitating claiming it for her now, after Tuesday.

I guess I should look more into what differences there is with being a permanent resident vs citizenship. I mean, I can vote as a resident. I get national healthcare. Is it worth the added stress/paperwork etc for the new passport?

It's not very stressful. My wife just did it this year. You apply for it, if you're eligible you get booked in for a test, you go do the test, you pass (because anyone who has been here long enough can pass easily with an hour of history study) and then you get invited to a ceremony a few months later to make it official.

• Options
    Ahava is in NZ. Not saying it won't also be easy, but the process could be a bit different.

• Options
    yeah I haven't looked into the nz process yet.

but residency was stressful.

all these documents and things that you need to have to prove that your husband loves you. far more stressful than writing a CV and cover letter. And those reduce me to tears

• Options

all these documents and things that you need to have to prove that your husband loves you. far more stressful than writing a CV and cover letter. And those reduce me to tears

ah, then yes, it might be a bit different

but residency in australia was also much more stressful than citizenship

citizenship honestly felt like a meaningless formality, but it gave us the ability to go through the fast lane at customs which is nice

• Options
    we got through the fast line at customs this time cause we had the babby. Nobody wants screaming baby after 30 hours of plane flight in line at customs for too long.

was amazing

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Every single time my dad has flown back into the country, he's tried using the electronic tag in his passport and it's never worked. He still tries every time and it doesn't work.

Still gets mad about it.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Note to self: steal baby before going to airport

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Every single time my dad has flown back into the country, he's tried using the electronic tag in his passport and it's never worked. He still tries every time and it doesn't work.

Still gets mad about it.

I made sure I looked all tired and shitty in my passport photo to more accurately reflect how I look after a long flight. Super effective!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

citizenship honestly felt like a meaningless formality, but it gave us the ability to go through the fast lane at customs which is nice

For a few years, my partner and I kinda half joked about her going from PR to citizenship just for the fast lane at the airport.

Then they included Singaporeans in the fast lane anyway and we were like "welp, never mind then!"

Veldrin on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Veldrin wrote: »

For a few years, my partner and I kinda half joked about her going from PR to citizenship just for the fast lane at the airport.

Then they included Singaporeans in the fast lane anyway and we were like "welp, never mind then!"

I wasn't really considering Australian citizenship at all and when they added the smartgates to Perth airport that just sealed the deal for the next little while, cuz my British passport works with them! Hooray!

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Speaking of citizenship, is there any functional difference between AUS PR and AUS citizenship except for voting rights?

I swear this isn't related to the US election. I've been toying with the idea for a while now, but I don't think there's much difference between PR and citizen.

工事中
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

Still gets mad about it.

I made sure I looked all tired and shitty in my passport photo to more accurately reflect how I look after a long flight. Super effective!

It's funny, the smart gates instantly recognised me on my trip to Hong Kong a month ago, however every immigration officer who saw me and my passport photo (from four years ago) did a double take and really had to scrutinise it to make sure it was actually me. Plus a few airport employees and cabin crew members correctly gendered me as "miss" or "ma'am" even though I was stealth.

It boosted my confidence a good amount, especially having only been on for seven months now. Looking forward to getting my new passport with a way more accurate photo, though!

• Options
    ahhh

there it is

apparently i need to have been here a minimum of 5 years as indefinite. i've only been indefinite for 2 years.

so PR2.0 it is

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

PR2.0

Electric boogaloo

• Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Speaking of citizenship, is there any functional difference between AUS PR and AUS citizenship except for voting rights?

I swear this isn't related to the US election. I've been toying with the idea for a while now, but I don't think there's much difference between PR and citizen.

Just the voting. Oh, and I think after a certain amount of time as a PR, you need to get an extra visa to leave and re-enter the country each time. I remember my wife saying something about that, though we didn't look into it too much as she was already going for citizenship by then.

• Options
    As a citizen you can break the law and not risk deportation.

That may or may not be relevant to you, who am I to judge?

• Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Just the voting. Oh, and I think after a certain amount of time as a PR, you need to get an extra visa to leave and re-enter the country each time. I remember my wife saying something about that, though we didn't look into it too much as she was already going for citizenship by then.

It's 5 years of unlimited entries and exits and you just have to renew when it expires. Apparently it's just a call or form to DIBP to get another 5 years.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm ... kind of anxious about visas now. Like, I don't think Trump even knows about the J1 visa which I'm currently on, but he has promised to abolish the H1 (doubt he'll manage to go through with it, that's the backbone of the country's tech sector, but hey I've been spectacularly wrong before only this week). And while Australia has access to the E3 (which he also probably hasn't heard about), I don't know how long that deal is cemented for, or if it can be revoked willy-nilly.

I was hoping to stay here for a few years because there is such interesting stuff happening in the robotics sector. But who knows if that's possible - or if interesting stuff will keep happening in the wake of whatever disastrous economic policies I fear will be enacted.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    This thread has cemented why I don't use Facebook as much as I used to. Tone and text are uneasy bedfellows (bedladies? Bed-NB's?) at the best of times, and with all the heated (and often righteous) mudslinging happening, I'd like to not engage. I don't have the spoons at the moment, and heaven knows I stuff up my interpretations of things all the friggin' time.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I just can't go on Facebook right now. I mean I respect everyone to post what they want. But I can't even stand seeing the anti trump stuff now that people are taking about.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    my mum got a facebook before i did so it was never cool for me

broken image link
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Edit

You know what, scratch that. If you wanted to talk about it, you'd be on Facebook.

Never mind!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Just going to put this here.

http://greens.org.au/join

If you support the Greens, consider joining. It makes a much stronger statement than just voting, and the local branch can always use members.

I really feel like I should, but I'm also now working in a somewhat politically sensitive part of the public sector and I'm a bit iffy about joining political parties.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »

Still gets mad about it.

It's funny, the smart gates instantly recognised me on my trip to Hong Kong a month ago, however every immigration officer who saw me and my passport photo (from four years ago) did a double take and really had to scrutinise it to make sure it was actually me. Plus a few airport employees and cabin crew members correctly gendered me as "miss" or "ma'am" even though I was stealth.

It boosted my confidence a good amount, especially having only been on for seven months now. Looking forward to getting my new passport with a way more accurate photo, though!

That's p rad!

Passport replacements are free if it's for a gender marker update, right? I should probably get onto that.

This discussion has been closed.