As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is out NOW! See you guys in a thousand years!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    "Don't preorder unless you are 100% confident" is a hard lesson I learned thanks to AC Unity.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Preorders are a sham now.

They meant something in the 90s/early 2000's when games would get limited orders and you'd never see another copy of them again except at huge markups in resale.

Now you can just download shit that you'll probably have to download even with the preorder. And all you usually get is a dumb weapon or armor or something that makes the first part of a game easier.

Not. Worth. It.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Here's PS4 footage, if that helps

https://youtu.be/R1HPulLdatI

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    This is anecdotal, but when Danny O'Dwyer from Gamespot was over in Poland to see the game about a month and a half ago he and his producer walked in there going "okay so we're both going to have to play this on PC, the console version most likely won't even compare"

And what they saw of the (unfinished) consoles ports convinced them that maybe they should actually get the game on console instead

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    From the looks of it, it seems like signs are a bit more versatile now?

Like from the look of it in some of the videos, Igni seems to have both the traditional fireball mode and also a new sort of sparky flamethrower mode.

I don't know how I feel about Quen just being a straight up forcefield bubble now though.

The alternate modes are unlockable if you spend a bit of time investing in Magic. The forcefield bubble and the Igni flamethrower are two examples, but each of the other Signs has one.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'm still considering getting a PS4 for Bloodborne

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Would you say being able to run gtav on pc with nice settings would mean you can run witcher 3

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Probably. Also hard to say really what the game will look like on a person's machine based solely off the system requirements. Or if you're fine with what turns out. For example, I'm willing to play at 30 FPS if it means the game looks super beautiful (like I did with Far Cry 4 just recently, every setting maxed and got a solid 30 fps when I was looking at a lot of different trees).

I'm expecting to play the Witcher 3 pretty well, even though I only have a i5 2500k (OC'd) cause I also have a gtx 970.

I'd say that if you are unsure at all whether or not your PC can run it, and you have a Xbone or a PS4, just get it on there if you want it day-of-launch. It's impossible to tell how it's going to run until you install it and play it. So like, even though I know my processor meets the min requirements only, I still expect to run it pretty well.

• Options
    I gotta say

the designs of the Wild Hunt characters are fucking awesome

• Options
    Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    PSA: Pre-load is now available from GOG.com!

They also have a countdown to the unlock: May 18, 7pm EST, 4pm PST

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Is it worth picking up Witcher 2 if you absolutely hated the first one?

And by hate, I mean my feelings range from "mixed" to "what the fuck is this shit" in regards to pretty much every element of the game.

Is 2 like, way WAY better than the first, or should I just continue to ignore the sequel and upcoming third title?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

And by hate, I mean my feelings range from "mixed" to "what the fuck is this shit" in regards to pretty much every element of the game.

Is 2 like, way WAY better than the first, or should I just continue to ignore the sequel and upcoming third title?

2 is much much better than 1

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

I couldn't even make myself get started in 1, but 2 was absolutely a blast. Fixed a lot of my mechanical complaints about the first one.

I think the best way to describe the game is it's kind of like if game of thrones starred wolverine.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I started 2 last night after finally having a computer good enough to run it and the combat feels kinda awkward at first? Things aren't quite as snappy as I was expecting, but it's still really fun so far.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to get this and regret it, so many things about the Witcher games really appeal to me but I got halfway through the first game and totally lost the thread of what the hell I was supposed to be doing and in the second I just found it daunting, like at some point I had a totally bewildering list of quests with materials I needed to gather and places to go and I just threw up my hands

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I started 2 last night after finally having a computer good enough to run it and the combat feels kinda awkward at first? Things aren't quite as snappy as I was expecting, but it's still really fun so far.

The combat takes a few hours (and some leveling) before it clicks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I gotta say

the designs of the Wild Hunt characters are fucking awesome

From W2 on the character designs have been great. Very distinctive and unique in the sea of fantasy games we see

Iorveth and Roche in particular are great examples, they both have very unique designs for major characters in a fantasy game. Iorveth in particular has an almost anime-esque design to him that manages to stay realistic.

Aside from being very well designed, both have very distinct silhouettes and in no way resemble each other, which for me anyway helped to emphasise how different the journeys the two can take you on are.

Also Roche's stupid head thing is the best.

• Options
    I agree, the designs in general are fantastic for the characters

should've been more explicit. I meant the actual characters of the Wild Hunt. the Wild Hunters. The armored spectres and shit.

• Options

latest?cb=20131210013635

hello

also I am super excited that they're making more armor designs for Geralt. I fully expect to spend hours upon hours making armor for him in red dead witcher

• Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

The combat takes a few hours (and some leveling) before it clicks

good to know, thanks! I just hit 7 I think? And it looks like I have a long ways to go in terms of talent points and whatnot, so i imagine it only gets better

• Options
    Witcher 1 combat is stand still time your swings

witcher 2 gets super dynamic with rolling and blocking, etc.

and by the looks of it, witcher 3 takes that dynamism and speed of 2 to a whole new level

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Man, I still haven't beaten Witcher 1 and I bought that during a steam winter sale back in 2010. I even have Witcher 2, but haven't touched it at all since I want to beat the first. I mostly want to do that because I know it has a Mass Effect system of transferring your choices from the previous games. I just get stuck on these games because I want to do all the side quests but I really just need to plow through the main story to finish it and move on.

At this point though is there anything I would be missing out on if I just started the second game, or at least download a save game editor or something like that to keep the choices I made so far. Every time I start up the game to get through it seems like a slog right now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Witcher 2 was incredibly self contained.

I played the first one for a total of maybe an hour and didn't have much trouble following the second.

The whole "Hey Geralt old buddy!" "Who are you I have amnesia?" thing works really well for this.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Skip the first Witcher game, play the second

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    If I remember right importing your choices from 1 didn't really change much of anything. Maybe a couple of throw away conversations here or there. Or oh look at this CAMEO because of YOUR DECISIONS. But nothing that really impacted the story.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Not to mention Witcher 3 is going full-blown Dragon Age Keep, I think, so you don't need to worry too much

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGG9yXmRCyQ

It had been previously reported that the Xbox One version of Witcher 3 would be locked to a 900p resolution running at 30 frames-per-second, but CD Projekt Red has just released a new trailer for the Xbox One version of the game with a nice surprise: The game will feature a dynamic resolution.

"The video you’re now watching is grabbed directly from an Xbox One console. We’ve been working to give gamers an even better experience on Xbox One and, on day one, we’ll bring you dynamic scaling from 900p to 1080p," the company stated. "We’re not much more than a week before launch, but we’re still fighting for every line of code — we want gamers to get the best possible experience we can."

CD Projekt Red claims the PlayStation 4 version of the game will feature 1080p resolution at 30 frames-per-second. The PC version will cause everyone with really expensive PCs to be obnoxious online for like, weeks.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/11/8586505/witcher-3-xbox-one-resolution

yeah those console versions are probably fine

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    That's a pretty good line about the pc version.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Not to mention Witcher 3 is going full-blown Dragon Age Keep, I think, so you don't need to worry too much

I kind of hope the keep becomes standard

I know some people didn't like having to do it but it just makes so much sense

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

I kind of hope the keep becomes standard

I know some people didn't like having to do it but it just makes so much sense

My saves have never survived to a sequel for any game ever.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Wait no it's not full-blown Keep, that much granularity doesn't carry over between the games

Apparently it's more like Mass Effect Genesis

Here's hoping it's more entertaining than Genesis

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Damn I still need to beat the 2nd game on the 2nd path... And get a better video card I think.

Christ my 2 year old PC is already outdated with its i5

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    The processor is probably fine, they don't get outdated as fast as they used to

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    The processor is probably fine, they don't get outdated as fast as they used to

Yeah my Q9650 is still doing fine with a GTX970

• Options
    Your processor is likely fine

Your video card however

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I should upgrade from my Radeon 9850 to a GTX 970. It's been acting up lately and not been outputting to my monitor until I unplug and replug the cables, so I'm guessing it's on its way out anyways

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hey friends

http://www.gog.com/promo/weekly_staff_picks_the_witcher_franchise_110515

You can get the Witcher 2 for three dollars

$3.00 is not much money for that much game, especially that much game that's that good

If you want to try the series out, that's a pretty decent way to do it!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
  • Options
    woo!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGG9yXmRCyQ

It had been previously reported that the Xbox One version of Witcher 3 would be locked to a 900p resolution running at 30 frames-per-second, but CD Projekt Red has just released a new trailer for the Xbox One version of the game with a nice surprise: The game will feature a dynamic resolution.

"The video you’re now watching is grabbed directly from an Xbox One console. We’ve been working to give gamers an even better experience on Xbox One and, on day one, we’ll bring you dynamic scaling from 900p to 1080p," the company stated. "We’re not much more than a week before launch, but we’re still fighting for every line of code — we want gamers to get the best possible experience we can."

CD Projekt Red claims the PlayStation 4 version of the game will feature 1080p resolution at 30 frames-per-second. The PC version will cause everyone with really expensive PCs to be obnoxious online for like, weeks.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/11/8586505/witcher-3-xbox-one-resolution

yeah those console versions are probably fine

Fucking babies and their need for super polished graphics.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.