As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is out NOW! See you guys in a thousand years!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I mean there is going to be free beard and hair DLC
    Why not that

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I hope to god it;s real. That was goofy and fun enough to get me to pre-buy the game.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    6 days

mmmmmm

time to bash my head against chinese and cities skylines

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That bowl cut

That bowl cut is the most terrifying, intimidating haircut possible, if you see someone on the street with that bowl cut they are absolutely thinking about the texture of your intestines

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Make Geralt look like Sam Elliot.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    That bowl cut

That bowl cut is the most terrifying, intimidating haircut possible, if you see someone on the street with that bowl cut they are absolutely thinking about the texture of your intestines

0a71c90d54156cd92dcd16bbef414df0.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Make Geralt voiced by Sam Elliot.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

Make Geralt voiced by Sam Elliot.

My god...

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I don't super have a problem with Geralt. The sex cards in 1 were weird and gross, but they really did try to make up for it in 2 by giving the ladies actual personality and making effort into showing consent/that they had an actual reason to want to sleep with him other than He Is The Main Character. I pretty much just agree with the lady who was running the campaign for More Geralt Butts to even things out, and then I'd be more comfortable with the sexy times in the game, really. Or at least less likely to roll my eyes and skip ahead.

I don't think it's particularly fair to compare Geralt to the typical male power fantasy type. He's pretty different from say, the lead in Watch_Dogs; thing is, you have to actively participate in conversation and look to see the depth that's there. Comparing his interactions with his friends like Triss and Dandelion to the way he deals with commoners and kings help to demonstrate the better aspects of him as a character, I think.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    but does geralt have an iconic baseball cap

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    He has sweet dangly hoods.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    He has sweet dangly hoods.

:winky:

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Those hoods look so dumb

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Is this preloading on PS4 now?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Those hoods look so dumb

Come on GG

Everyone loves a little liripipe in their life.

• Options
    Well
    I learned a new word today

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    This has now downloaded onto my PS4. Now it just sits there. Taunting me.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    [...]It's worth saying immediately that the characterization and storytelling of The Witcher 3 is considerably better than The Witcher 2. Where that game often felt like a litany of confusing schemes and plots and a list of various power players that the player might never meet or see, The Witcher 3 is much better at introducing its actors smartly and efficiently — even as the cast ballooned in the middle third of the game, I never felt especially lost or confused about the various intrigues in play, of what I was doing, for who, or why.

[...]I think [the combat] is where some fans of The Witcher 2 will be most disappointed. Encounters in that game were brutal, and difficult, practically demanding preparation through the use of potions and weapon oils. Combat itself was methodical, with attacks taking stamina and poorly judged swings opening you up for deadly counterattacks from almost any enemy. The Witcher 3 has been greatly simplified. While potions and oils are still present and occasionally necessary, the need for preparation is mostly gone on the default difficulty. Geralt can swing his sword without getting tired, and signs are tied to the same stamina as basic physical actions like dodging.

[..]But I'll admit to missing the very visceral sense of impact and heavy give and take that defined Geralt's fighting style before. And The Witcher 3's basic mechanics have some more prominent problems elsewhere. The Witcher 3's camera is often terrible, especially indoors. It's hard to appreciate the beautiful world that CD Projekt built when it aggressively occluded my view of the fight in progress, and Geralt's generally great animations were lost on me when I got stuck on various objects in the world trying to avoid attacks.

This problem is even more rage-inducing during timed sequences that frequently feel hamstrung by cumbersome, unintuitive ground traversal that reminded me, in a bad way, of the "stupid-feet" problem that has plagued recent Assassin's Creed releases. When I needed Geralt to do something specific quickly, he often failed me in the worst possible way, running against a wall, failing to turn, or otherwise getting tangled up in the world or himself.

[...]That said, the world CD Projekt has created is oppressively misogynist. In some ways, the game deals directly with this — characters acknowledge again and again that it's hard to be a woman there, that it's a place of violence and terror and that women must work harder to be recognized and respected.

Then it kills them, over and over. There are several monster types devoted to murdered and wronged women whom Geralt is frequently asked to destroy, and other villainous characters are shown torturing or even butchering women to show just how evil they are. One sequence seemed specifically designed to see how long I could listen to a major female character have her fingernails pulled out before I ended the conversation to attack the individual in question. A later scene shows a villain literally surrounded by the bodies of murdered prostitutes.

In another, a character who admitted to beating his wife so badly she miscarried is given an opportunity to explain why she had it coming, complete with a sympathetic conversation response option to go with it. The performances all around in this scene are excellent, the presentation among the best, most reined in anywhere in the game, but the message I saw it conveying was abhorrent.
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/13/8533059/the-witcher-3-review-wild-hunt-PC-PS4-Xbox-one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeop

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I am sad to see the really tough combat go, but I also know that its why I couldn't get friends into the series. So maybe this will appeal to more people?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I think at this point you know if you're ok with how cd project reds world works in regard to women.

They have incredibly good, powerful female characters, and a world that treats them like shit

If that's a deal breaker for you it sounds like this wont change it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Other reviews are saying that if you want even a decent challenge, try hard mode. You can switch mid-game.

• Options
    Basically every review I've seen agrees that the game has significant technical issues

But most of them are hedging their bets that they'll be fixed by launch, hence the 10s

I am on the side that they definitely WON'T be

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Do they say what the significant technical issues are?

• Options

looks like hard crashes on the PS4 version

• Options
    Polygon wrote:
    Ed's Note: Our review of The Witcher 3 is based on non-final PS4 code provided by CD Projekt Red. In our time with the game, we saw significant technical issues, including hard crashes, endless load screens, major framerate drops both at random and during more crowded fight scenes, and failures by the game to trigger even scripts which would halt forward progress within a quest until the game was reloaded, or, on occasion, the console restarted entirely.

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I think I might be Housing some Wolves until they patch the ps4 version a couple of times

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    That's very kind of you, many types of wolves are endangered and need to be safeguarded

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I'll definitely wait to hear some chatter about whether or not most of that garbage is fixed, I'm as optimistic as Mr. G about it happening

Hobnail on
  • Options
    i already bought it and preloaded it so i'm on the hook either way

Cause the thing with Assassin's Creed Unity was it was super broken and ALSO a shitty game

This sounds like it's really really good, with a whole lot of issues

And if I can get through Dark Souls on PS3...

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The only thing that would really shit me up are the hard crashes, drives me nuts

• Options
    Man, uh, reviewing a game with an assumption or promise from the developers that it will be in a better state at launch sounds dumb to me.

Do they do that with primarily multiplayer games? Or MMOs? "We assume there will be a lot of people running around to quest with, I'm sure it'll be great, 10/10."

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Man, uh, reviewing a game with an assumption or promise from the developers that it will be in a better state at launch sounds dumb to me.

Do they do that with primarily multiplayer games? Or MMOs? "We assume there will be a lot of people running around to quest with, I'm sure it'll be great, 10/10."

Polygon has gotten around this by slapping a big "PROVISIONAL" label on any questionable games like Battlefield or this or Evolve

So they just write a regular review and say at the end "uhhhh if it's broken this didn't count"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

I think you have to if you're running a review on or prior to release. You should note the conditions you played under though, and if you think they will be remedied or not.

• Options
    Oh right, I'd forgotten about the provisional stuff and revisiting reviews. Hmm. That's a step in the right direction, at least.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

[...]That said, the world CD Projekt has created is oppressively misogynist. In some ways, the game deals directly with this — characters acknowledge again and again that it's hard to be a woman there, that it's a place of violence and terror and that women must work harder to be recognized and respected.

Then it kills them, over and over. There are several monster types devoted to murdered and wronged women whom Geralt is frequently asked to destroy, and other villainous characters are shown torturing or even butchering women to show just how evil they are. One sequence seemed specifically designed to see how long I could listen to a major female character have her fingernails pulled out before I ended the conversation to attack the individual in question. A later scene shows a villain literally surrounded by the bodies of murdered prostitutes.

In another, a character who admitted to beating his wife so badly she miscarried is given an opportunity to explain why she had it coming, complete with a sympathetic conversation response option to go with it. The performances all around in this scene are excellent, the presentation among the best, most reined in anywhere in the game, but the message I saw it conveying was abhorrent.

Welp, there goes my pre-order

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to give this game a little bit of time after release to get all patched up. I stopped 3/4 of the way through Dragon Age Inquisition so I might try to finish that first.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Well I already dropped money on the game. Hoping it doesn't come back to bite me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Trying out Witcher 2.

Jesus this game is badly optimized.

I've got it all the way down to low and there's still a delay between my input and the game's response.

I have less trouble running DA:I.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    CD Projeckt games are kind of like Bethesda open world games, they run on at least 30% heart and gumption while the actual software is burning and exploding

This discussion has been closed.