As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash]: Wally Goes West (SPOILERS)

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It's funny that at the start Cisco kind of got on my nerves and at this point I'd totally be up for a show that was just him, Wells, and Caitlyn tinkering and being snappy at each other.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    It's funny that at the start Cisco kind of got on my nerves and at this point I'd totally be up for a show that was just him, Wells, and Caitlyn tinkering and being snappy at each other.

This happens a lot on CW shows because they use such young actors. Sometimes these shows are their first real acting gigs (this is the case with Valdes, the actor who plays Cisco) so when they first start they aren't very good and have to grow into their roles as they go.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Just to counter-balance my double-grump post:

I absolutely loved:
    'Reverb' and 'Frost'.

Weird that they had that wig handy...

Particularly the little exchange when Cisco managed to zap Laurel and Caitlin yells at him to do it again.

Honorable mention: Wells' ego butting in to Cisco's speech. I like that they're softening Wells up a little. Still a dick, but not quite so dour, and enjoying science again.

And no one questioned why Cisco just happened to have
    the costumes of his and Caitlin's evil super villain doppelgangers.

Also, Cisco should have proven his evilness by not washing his hands after going to the bathroom.

That one is easy.
    Cisco is super into Earth-2 LARP and cosplay.

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
    He had them for PotterCon, Moaning Myrtle.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Oh come on already, show.
    From the photos that CW has released, it looks like Zoom is threatening Joe so that Flash has to do the big race.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    so flash is going to run so fast he goes puff and wally and jesse get powered up

right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Hopefully he runs so fast Wally and Jesse go puff.
    i hope wally still doesnt know he is the flash next episode

let's just drag it out til next season

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    There was that bit in the club in a previous episode where the Jesse's detector was going off and we assumed it was Wally. Jesse shouldn't have been a meta then, but if it was detecting Barry, then he was a meta from Earth-1 that it was detecting A-OK

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Hopefully he runs so fast Wally and Jesse go puff.
    i hope wally still doesnt know he is the flash next episode

let's just drag it out til next season

Well you see, Wally, what had happened was Zoom tried to kidnap Barry too and the Flash rescued him.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Part of the problem is that Barry's disguise voice still sounds just like Barry.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Most of Team Flash and everyone around them are flaming idiots, though, so it works.

Wells should point it out, though.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well we could solve the whole problem by making Wally a villian for about 5 minutes, which is long enough for Barry to take his mask off in front of them.
    Cause we know the way this works, to protect your family from your super hero ness, never tell your family about it, but tell all your enemies.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well we could solve the whole problem by making Wally a villian for about 5 minutes, which is long enough for Barry to take his mask off in front of them.
    Cause we know the way this works, to protect your family from your super hero ness, never tell your family about it, but tell all your enemies.

and that one time tell your ex girlfriend because you need her to be in on a plot that doesnt work

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

and that one time tell your ex girlfriend because you need her to be in on a plot that doesnt work

But don't tell your current girlfriend who knows you are lying to keep a secret from her.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Did we discuss that he didn't hide his face with the blur while talking to the cop guy before he did his little swap-a-roo?

That was so dumb. This is some superman/clark kent shit right here.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Oh shit, I've figured it out. The hidden secret of this entire season!
    Shantel VanSanten actually moonlighted as a writer and was the only one who could write plot worth a damn.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or is the CGI budget looking a bit thin? My partner and I both thought the scene where Dr McGee got rescued looked more like something out of 'The Sims'.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is the CGI budget looking a bit thin? My partner and I both thought the scene where Dr McGee got rescued looked more like something out of 'The Sims'.

Nah its always looked like shit when they go CGI barry.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    McFodder wrote: »

I thought that scene was neat.

But then, a lot of the time when people are critical of animation technique and CGI effects I feel the same way. Except for the Transformers movies which I maintain looked stupid from the first trailer of the first film right up to the present.

-edit-

All the old dynavision effects still basically hold up to this day though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

Stop-motion skeletons: still creepy as fuck

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Man I ain't gonna say shit about CGI budgets ever because i lived through the late 80s and early 90s. I feel lucky as fuck that there's a Flash television show that don't got the gaudy ridiculousness of West Batman or Star Trek TOS models.

I used my imagination most of the damn time anyway. So if he looks a little less like an actual person running through a tumbling building at superhuman speeds I can forgive it.

Nerds are fucking crazy. Like they forgot yesterday.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I dunno, we watch a lot of B movies, and this bit of the scene was bad enough to make us both say 'what the hell?' - more the way Dr McGee looked than the Flash, I think they normally do pretty well with him for a TV show.

Found a clip! Starts at about 1:35, and it just looks like a first pass with janky rag-doll physics or something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad as hell that I can watch a TV show that is doing this! But it just really stood out to both my fiancee and I.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    The writers could have found a way to have Zoom succeed in doing what he did without Barry just STANDING THERE LIKE AN IDIOT WHO FORGOT HE HAS SPEED POWERS. I know they make Barry move at the speed of plot, and even with his new zen outlook that the speedforce has got his back he still just stood there and let Black Siren hit him with her cry, but I mean, at the end I wanted to flip a table. AT LEAST MOVE!

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    The writers could have found a way to have Zoom succeed in doing what he did without Barry just STANDING THERE LIKE AN IDIOT WHO FORGOT HE HAS SPEED POWERS. I know they make Barry move at the speed of plot, and even with his new zen outlook that the speedforce has got his back he still just stood there and let Black Siren hit him with her cry, but I mean, at the end I wanted to flip a table. AT LEAST MOVE!

Last scene:
    If they want Zoom to monologue and kill Papa-Flash, at least have him and Barry fight first. Just smoosh their lighting up in a big furball and have Zoom clap one of those restraining devices (stolen from the never-locked STAR Labs) on Barry, then do it. Have Barry screaming as he tries to smash it, you know, making an effort to save his fucking father.

What does that cost, production wise? A prop from 4 episodes ago, some bloody makeup, and 200 frames of speedster lightning. You hit the same story notes, Barry doesn't look like a spectator, and Zoom gets to demonstrate something approaching competence as opposed to skirting by, once again, solely because his adversary is an idiot.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Best line:

Wells: Ah, I didn't know you cared

Joe: Yes you did.

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular

Last scene:
    If they want Zoom to monologue and kill Papa-Flash, at least have him and Barry fight first. Just smoosh their lighting up in a big furball and have Zoom clap one of those restraining devices (stolen from the never-locked STAR Labs) on Barry, then do it. Have Barry screaming as he tries to smash it, you know, making an effort to save his fucking father.

What does that cost, production wise? A prop from 4 episodes ago, some bloody makeup, and 200 frames of speedster lightning. You hit the same story notes, Barry doesn't look like a spectator, and Zoom gets to demonstrate something approaching competence as opposed to skirting by, once again, solely because his adversary is an idiot.
    No, a prop from the SAME episode, Joe'd just used one to save Wally from a meta.

• Options
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Grant I love you babe, but seriously the writers this season do not inspire me to believe you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    If the Flash writers could go back to writing Barry like the Supergirl writers did, I'd be pleased.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I was thinking about this earlier... Patty doesn't even feel like she was here this season, that's how disconnected I feel about it compared to the back half.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    If the Flash writers could go back to writing Barry like the Supergirl writers did, I'd be pleased.

This. Seriously. I had forgotten how good Gustin is at playing the happy optimistic Flash until I saw that episode. Bring that Barry back and all of this shows problems would seem to disappear. I can forgive a disconnected season and surprise twist that made a villain intolerable (I honestly didn't mind Zoom until the reveal) as long as the main character is fun to watch.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »

This. Seriously. I had forgotten how good Gustin is at playing the happy optimistic Flash until I saw that episode. Bring that Barry back and all of this shows problems would seem to disappear. I can forgive a disconnected season and surprise twist that made a villain intolerable (I honestly didn't mind Zoom until the reveal) as long as the main character is fun to watch.

Basically the season 3 premiere needs to be a music meister episode

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I was telling my husband last night (when we finally got to watch this week's Flash) that Barry's newfound optimism represented the first season, and all his friends trying to harsh his mellow represented the writers this season. :biggrin:

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

I must be too attached to my father, because I don't think I could keep any kind of upbeat attitude after
    watching him get murdered

But then, I didn't spend my formative years choosing a profession that would help me exonerate him and get him released from prison.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Tony feels like a metaphor for the episode he's in.

Quid on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

I must be too attached to my father, because I don't think I could keep any kind of upbeat attitude after
    watching him get murdered

But then, I didn't spend my formative years choosing a profession that would help me exonerate him and get him released from prison.

Oh my god that's brutal.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    I was thinking about this earlier... Patty doesn't even feel like she was here this season, that's how disconnected I feel about it compared to the back half.

I went through the episodes from the first half of the series again and most of them were fun. I forgot that the Trickster was in this season as well as the Captain Cold father episode. I think after they went to E2, it all went downhill.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

I went through the episodes from the first half of the series again and most of them were fun. I forgot that the Trickster was in this season as well as the Captain Cold father episode. I think after they went to E2, it all went downhill.
    Oh shit, I've figured it out. The hidden secret of this entire season!
    Shantel VanSanten actually moonlighted as a writer and was the only one who could write plot worth a damn.

I'm like 50% serious with that. It was a marked change right around that time.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Actually, thinking back on it, the whole premise of what Zoom does at the end of the episode makes no sense, because Barry did
    See his Mother get murdered right in front of his eyes, and hold her as she lay dying, when he traveled back in time with Reverse Flash at the end of Season 1

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Actually, thinking back on it, the whole premise of what Zoom does at the end of the episode makes no sense, because Barry did
    See his Mother get murdered right in front of his eyes, and hold her as she lay dying, when he traveled back in time with Reverse Flash at the end of Season 1
    He wasn't sad enough. I mean, look at Zoom's logic for Caitlin being his girlfriend.

Also, it feels like they're trying to riff on Zoom II from the comics, who wants Wally to be a better speedster/hero through tragedy and death instead of just being a good person.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.