As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] PA Server is LIVE! Deets in OP.

• Options
    MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Where is sunstone located?

But with all those spots seatled and abandoned, and argument could be made for server wipes. A Clean and fresh restart would be nice.

Marslo on
  • Options
    GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    East coast, around where the peninsula used to be (now swamp). I'll try to get the exact coordinates later.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Marslo wrote: »

But with all those spots seatled and abandoned, and argument could be made for server wipes. A Clean and fresh restart would be nice.

No. If there are abandoned bases, we have mods that can destroy them. But some of us are actively building things that are half done but already have thousands worth of metal and stone put into them and if that got wiped out for no reason I would be PISSED.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Decomposey wrote: »

No. If there are abandoned bases, we have mods that can destroy them. But some of us are actively building things that are half done but already have thousands worth of metal and stone put into them and if that got wiped out for no reason I would be PISSED.

Some of us also have over 1000 hours and endless resources put in to our bases.

The devs have made it clear that they aren't planning wipes and I'd prefer we follow that example. I would not come back after a wipe at this point and I don't think I'm the only one.

If needed Budd and I can destroy old Warboyz structures. We might also benefit from making a list of occupied but long abandoned places and ask the players if demolition of their places is acceptable.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Barring some (God forbid) server destroying bug, the only time I'd consider doing a server restart is when the game goes live in June IIRC. Even so, I'd try to get a save of the server available to anyone to use for singleplayer so all their hard work doesn't go to waste. Thank Stake for the idea but I still need to look into how to do it.

In the meantime, keep reporting abandoned structures to me and I'll check them out for potential demolition.

Karoz on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

If people would just cut down on their "public" buildings, and just kept their one or two personal buildings, it would be better for everyone.

For example, I think it was in the NE mountain top, THREE houses, at the TOP, and its not a big top really, its tiny. Ive never seen anyone there, or dinos parked there, or anything, I every now and then run into someone doing just like me, riding an Argent there, mining, and flying down to their respective bases.

This same MO goes with cookhouses, "newbie safe spots" (wich is code for, I outgrew this site, but too lazy or zealous of land, to demolish it), and all sort of buildings that see absolutely no use, take up good spots and resources, but are kept under the pretense of "public service".

So, Im not for server wipes, unless the game engine requires it, but I would urge people to not be such D-bags when building, and realicing its not single-player, and room in the island is VERY finite.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, there are quite a few structures that can be knocked down. Some are relics of the first survivors and they'll stay (Shore Base, Red Base, Kun Lun, The Zig) but quite a few more that were made for fun but don't see have any real use in awhile.

I have no issue with depots/harbors/etc for collecting resources or housing dinos well out of reach of your main base, but structures that don't see much use really should be bulldozed either by the owner or tell me to do it, I always look for another chance to use my rocket launcher.

Karoz on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Yeah, there are quite a few structures that can be knocked down. Some are relics of the first survivors and they'll stay (Shore Base, Red Base, Kun Lun, The Zig) but quite a few more that were made for fun but don't see have any real use in awhile.

I have no issue with depots/harbors/etc for collecting resources well out of reach of your main house, but structures that don't see much use really should be bulldozed either by the owner or tell me to do it, I always look for another chance to use my rocket launcher.

If nobody is using those, not sure why they should stay. But honestly I am in the north so rarely I am not sure what gets used.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I dunno, having some things for newbies around is not that terrible. Like, for example, the bay near Rocktop was closed with a gate, and so I could actually swim through the bay as a newbie on this side of the gate without getting eaten instantly, which is what has historically happened to me every time I try to go into any semi-large body of water. Without that gate there, there is no real way to cross without going all the way around and entirely too close to the swamp. And having a single, public use building in important spots (like, say, having a single foundry platform atop a mountain so that people can make their ingots right there) seems like a better option than having, as you say, three houses everywhere.

And of course if you intend to keep the thing with having collections of stuff for newbies to pick (I only took a Compass blueprint from these... but I would say that having a Compass is solely responsible for the fact that my death ratio has gone WAY down), it has to be around the coast areas. Of course, a small house suffices for this, no need to make a huge fortress or anything and take up all the space.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Catastrophe is currently squatting in Mal's place (and I can't seem to find Mal in his old place), so Cata's place by the swamp can probably go. The two houses next to me have people in them, but they've been gone long enough that the structures no longer have a personal owner. There's a place near the Grand Peak that has an occupant but no owner on the structure. I usually use Budd's camp when I go to Grand Peak, so I can destroy the house I made basically right next to it. There's a small thatch hut near Twig's place that looks like it was torn apart by an animal to get at the occupant (Kanden, I think), and I saw no storage or other items in it. Gunj has multiple bases whose ownership has not only expired, but that have no occupants.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    Mountains....shit, I forgot about that small outpost I built on the side of the NE mountain. I'll need to blow that up. May have some supplies in there if people want, but nothing outrageous.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I have no issue with depots/harbors/etc for collecting resources well out of reach of your main house, but structures that don't see much use really should be bulldozed either by the owner or tell me to do it, I always look for another chance to use my rocket launcher.

If nobody is using those, not sure why they should stay. But honestly I am in the north so rarely I am not sure what gets used.

Basically because of WIckedKarma and in respect to the survivor's whose dime we're currently playing off of since they funded the server till this point. Any smaller bases, such as Firewater's many (albeit useful) outposts, are up for demolition and I'm considering clearing out Oasis.
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Catastrophe is currently squatting in Mal's place (and I can't seem to find Mal in his old place), so Cata's place by the swamp can probably go. The two houses next to me have people in them, but they've been gone long enough that the structures no longer have a personal owner. There's a place near the Grand Peak that has an occupant but no owner on the structure. I usually use Budd's camp when I go to Grand Peak, so I can destroy the house I made basically right next to it. There's a small thatch hut near Twig's place that looks like it was torn apart by an animal to get at the occupant (Kanden, I think), and I saw no storage or other items in it. Gunj has multiple bases whose ownership has not only expired, but that have no occupants.

I'll look into these. If you can get me coordinates that would be helpful but I think I know some of the locations you're referring to.
    Gashik wrote: »
    Mountains....shit, I forgot about that small outpost I built on the side of the NE mountain. I'll need to blow that up. May have some supplies in there if people want, but nothing outrageous.

I've seen it multiple times so I know where it is (right up from the Warframe Dropouts base up there) so I can take care of it if you like.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I know you're itching to use your rocket launcher. Be my guest. :P But no ant colonies in its place.

Gashik on
  • Options
    Gashik wrote: »
    I know you're itching to use your rocket launcher. Be my guest. :P But no ant colonies in its place.

...no promises.

• Options
    Those who fear ants have not yet tamed a frog.

Than you will HUNT ants, and laugh.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular

I would love for there to be some sort of list, of possible public structures. In the case some one would like to use them, for temporay bases or jumping off points for newbies, while they figure out where they could set up a base.

• Options

Really the most trouble I've had with ants is when I'm riding a bird. Even when I was going out dinoless yesterday they might get a couple hits but never be too much of an issue. Even dragonflies fell to backpedal and basic spear thrusts. Given I have 110% movement speed and 150% damage so a truly new player would have problems, but until we get swords and shields backpedal and spear will get you out of most situations.

• Options

Basically because of WIckedKarma and in respect to the survivor's whose dime we're currently playing off of since they funded the server till this point. Any smaller bases, such as Firewater's many (albeit useful) outposts, are up for demolition and I'm considering clearing out Oasis.

Well, when I am done with barns and plateau walls and whatnot I make no promises I won't go up there and revamp it in stone and metal.

• Options
    hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I own one of the buildings at the top of the northeast mountain - it's my metalworking shop. I have a low-level anky up there too. It's way easier than mining and hauling everything back to my main base, especially since I can't ride my argent yet (still farming chitin for the saddle).

The oasis (hidden lake) is a really nice spot, but yeah... alphas do spawn there occasionally. The alpha carno last night prevented me from doing my usual oasis hunting.

I haven't seen the oasis base actively used. When I set up just north of there, there were tamed dinos, but they are long gone.

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
  • Options

Really the most trouble I've had with ants is when I'm riding a bird. Even when I was going out dinoless yesterday they might get a couple hits but never be too much of an issue. Even dragonflies fell to backpedal and basic spear thrusts. Given I have 110% movement speed and 150% damage so a truly new player would have problems, but until we get swords and shields backpedal and spear will get you out of most situations.

That's why whenever you go out on a bird, you take a Dimorphodon with you. They are pro at taking out flying ants.

• Options

I'll look into these. If you can get me coordinates that would be helpful but I think I know some of the locations you're referring to.

I'm currently touring the south and east coast, and getting coordinates for any places I find, destructible or not, starting with the Grunj House. I shall continue to do so, but specifically, it appears the Lords of the Fly base is fully destructible, and I honestly can't remember the members other than Bob, who is marked as owner on a few items. Their bridge is half demoed currently anyways. And Grunj House doesn't even have an owner marked.

I'll report back when I have a full list. In the mean time, do we have a link to that interactive map?

• Options

I'm currently touring the south and east coast, and getting coordinates for any places I find, destructible or not, starting with the Grunj House. I shall continue to do so, but specifically, it appears the Lords of the Fly base is fully destructible, and I honestly can't remember the members other than Bob, who is marked as owner on a few items. Their bridge is half demoed currently anyways. And Grunj House doesn't even have an owner marked.

I'll report back when I have a full list. In the mean time, do we have a link to that interactive map?

Here you go

That's why whenever you go out on a bird, you take a Dimorphodon with you. They are pro at taking out flying ants.

I'll keep that in mind. I haven't had a dimo in a long time. Planning on getting one and a wolf as my only two dinos for my raft base.

• Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    http://www.ark-survival.net/en/dynamic-livemap/?mapid=5765579

This is the one I did way back when.

As far as destruction goes, I deleted the little countess outpost on top of NE mountain a couple weeks ago which I think he built solely to fuck with an eve buddy that was playing by dragging his body up there. The other two have been in various stages of pve destructable for a while and neither seemed to have much of anything inside other than a couple forges.

North shore could probably get blown up, it has no real purpose beyond nostalgia at this point it seems and that'd be a pretty nice/safe spot for newbie construction. I don't know if that little house on the sw corner of carno island is used (not that there's much of a land rush out there). I could tear down that taming shed and shack in the plains that bird herd has probably, but I don't think either of those are blocking any place anyone would actually want to build.

I also destroyed another dave matthews cover band building on NE mountain a week or so ago, and a small wooden bird herd shack across from my mesa, and I cleared out Bob Yoss' placeholder foundations on the cliff opposite blue base. There's another wooden shack NE of me that could probably be killed but I don't know who owns it offhand.

If you're looking for stuff to rocket launch @Karoz , the swamp area that used to be the eastern bay by gashik has all sorts of random pipes and partial buildings left over from the terrain destruction.

Problem I have with Dimos is they are so slow. Even then birds kill flying ants just fine if you sprint away for a second then wheel around and attack (or just fly away from them because ants are also slow)

azhais on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    azhais wrote: »
    If you're looking for stuff to rocket launch @Karoz , the swamp area that used to be the eastern bay by gashik has all sorts of random pipes and partial buildings left over from the terrain destruction.

One of those pipes is Sunstone's water supply, but it could probably be shortened up what with the swamp water all over the place now. The remains of my water pen are somewhere in the middle of that hellhole. I literally tripped over some of it sticking out of the ground right after the changes while running away from about 4 snakes.

• Options
    http://www.ark-survival.net/en/dynamic-livemap/?mapid=5765579

This is the one I did way back when.

As far as destruction goes, I deleted the little countess outpost on top of NE mountain a couple weeks ago which I think he built solely to fuck with an eve buddy that was playing by dragging his body up there. The other two have been in various stages of pve destructable for a while and neither seemed to have much of anything inside other than a couple forges.

North shore could probably get blown up, it has no real purpose beyond nostalgia at this point it seems and that'd be a pretty nice/safe spot for newbie construction. I don't know if that little house on the sw corner of carno island is used (not that there's much of a land rush out there). I could tear down that taming shed and shack in the plains that bird herd has probably, but I don't think either of those are blocking any place anyone would actually want to build.

I also destroyed another dave matthews cover band building on NE mountain a week or so ago, and a small wooden bird herd shack across from my mesa, and I cleared out Bob Yoss' placeholder foundations on the cliff opposite blue base. There's another wooden shack NE of me that could probably be killed but I don't know who owns it offhand.

Problem I have with Dimos is they are so slow. Even then birds kill flying ants just fine if you sprint away for a second then wheel around and attack (or just fly away from them because ants are also slow)

I've found that pumping the speed on a Dimo up to 125 or 130 will allow them to keep up with you pretty well. But mostly when I'm flying long distances I carry the Dimo on my shoulder, and just let it loose when I'm at my destination or anywhere I will be flying slowly.

Turns out, Dimos can kill Ants while sitting on your shoulder anyway, so they are helpful even there.

Look, I just love Dimos, ok?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Look, I just love Dimos, ok?

Who wouldn't? Little flying reptiles of death. And they can sit on your shoulder like a pirate's parrot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Update to the babies thread.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/481115363878276139/
    Also, the dinos don't have to be "in-Tribe" to mate, they just have to be non-aggressed and tamed and in proximity. So a Tribe could, ahem, loan out their prized breeding dinos, and both Tribes split the resulting eggs, etc.

And oh yeah the younger a baby is, the corresponding less resources it gives if u harvest it, but the more chance of prime meat you get. Newborns are pretty much guaranteed to give a couple primes >:D

So we can loan then out, and if we don't like the baby... well, primes.

• Options
    Given this info... I'll be building a climate controlled area behind my barn. Although I wonder if maybe some eggs need to be warmer or colder than that.

I'll probably section off a few bits of pen of varying sizes as well, for the dino bangin'.

• Options
    DragoonExMachinaDragoonExMachina Registered User regular
    Shinyo and I cleared out a DMCB shack on the SE peninsula just before Pierce and Mork started playing, and I'll be pulling down my house in that same area when I finish moving, unless one of those two would like to inherit it.

• Options
    I am going to breed me the perfect Spino...

Rainbowsaurus shall be the beginning. I need to tame one with a reddish orange body to try and complete the color pattern with the fin.

Not sure how to determine how good the stats are.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dragoon is your building on the river outlet around 77,70 where you're moving to or where you're moving from?

• Options
    That's where I'm moving to, once it's constructed to a sufficient degree.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If you make a harbor there or something in the deep water of the river outlet I might want to rent some space. My harbor kind of sucks for anything bigger than a shark.

• Options
    So there was a lvl 90-something Spino with orange coloring in the northern river last night. I believe it was male.

I WANT it. If it's still there I would appreciate if nobody killed it. It will help me create Rainbowsaurus Prime.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    "Swampstone" is now completely unlocked, and the containers inside have had their pin codes removed. First come, first serve on supplies in there. There's several bookshelves with blueprints. Notably, I have a few green saddle BPs, and one purple shark saddle BP. Most everything else is primitive stuff, but it's there if people want to save on engram points for whatever.

@Karoz I leave it to you if the building stays or not after the supplies are cleaned out.

EDIT: Also dismantled my aborted warehouse that I'd been building nearby. Immediately saw a tree spawn in to replace it. Fitting. :D

Gashik on
  • Options
    http://culcraft.com/ark/

I posted this a while back, but seems more relevant now. Will tell you where your wild dino put its stats

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    http://culcraft.com/ark/

I posted this a while back, but seems more relevant now. Will tell you where your wild dino put its stats

Bookmarked

• Options
    Someone had a good idea to get around the "need to enable wandering" component of breeding:
    Step 1: Park dinos next to each other.
    Step 2: Load them down with rocks/lumber so they can't move due to encumbrance.
    Step 3: Enable wandering.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Someone had a good idea to get around the "need to enable wandering" component of breeding:
    Step 1: Park dinos next to each other.
    Step 2: Load them down with rocks/lumber so they can't move due to encumbrance.
    Step 3: Enable wandering.

Oh, yeah that kind of solves that problem.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    If you make a harbor there or something in the deep water of the river outlet I might want to rent some space. My harbor kind of sucks for anything bigger than a shark.

Now that you've mentioned it, I probably will. That'll be a longer-term project, though, you realize. If for no other reason than my own lack of aquatic dinos to pull security for me.