As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation] E3 2015: Tretton's Revenge

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Speaking of that quest, how was I supposed to know to be there at noon without consulting the internet like I did

Did they realistically expect you to sit there and meditate an hour at a time, hoping to trigger something?
    noonwraith info gets dropped into your bestiary as you progress through that quest

it's not specifically noon, it's during the daytime

It didn't, I checked my bestiary when he made the comment about the right time of day and also when I found the bracelet

It just had an entry on specters and that's it

And even after I killed it, it still had an objective for "find clues in this area with Witcher sense" but there were none and according to that IGN article there should have been drag marks or something and there were none so I think it just glitched out on me in a way that would have made it unfinishable but through chance

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    there does come a point where ''brute force'' is at least viable, if not totally efficient, you still want to work signs and bombs and oils in when you can

but that point comes at least ten, fifteen hours in, when you have a decently hefty wallet most of the time, and can afford to buy ingredients for bombs and the like

the bestiary will always be HELPFUL but it's not always requisite knowledge once you're hip deep in the game

and let's be clear, you're barely dipping your toes in, lengthwise

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    knowing the spell to use on ghosts and to use quen on things that you recoil off of is like 90% of the bestiary knowledge you need

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I mean, I really dug the griffon fight

But that's also because I went into it with no prep and was able to take it down through sheer brute force

And I definitely dig the fiction of this world, I read that long-ass Kotaku breakdown on the first two games and found it super interesting, and since I typically think fantasy is the worst, that's rare

I don't know if I want to give up on it just yet but if it continues down that whole path of "prepare for your fights" to such a degree that "just kill it with your swords" doesn't work anymore, yeah, I'll hang it up

That is what the game is built on

You are fantasy batman

Figuring out what your fighting and what its weakness is is a mechanic for every monster you will fight.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Is it weird that, by the time they finally made a trailer for KH3, I pretty much stopped caring about it?

KH2 was two consoles ago, for fuck's sake.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Is it weird that, by the time they finally made a trailer for KH3, I pretty much stopped caring about it?

KH2 was two consoles ago, for fuck's sake.

Which means we'll get KH4 on the PS7 and Xbox 360

No I don't.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I swing my sword at enemies and sometime I might remember to throw on an oil beforehand, but mostly not, and I've used a bomb like 5 times, and I've maybe died to normally leveled enemies for me perhaps 10 times total

Playing on the "normal" difficulty, whatever it's called

This game is so much less about preparation than witcher 2

Just swing and dodge some and virtually all encounters are easy, although, I haven't done much in skellige. Maybe it becomes worse late in the story game too.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The only thing you need to do before a fight is apply oils to your swords
    All other potions or signs or what have you can be equipped and used mid-fight

Also it is totally worth it to buy materials for the oils and potions because once you've made it one time it will auto replenish every time you meditate, as long as you have alcohest or dwarven spirit on you, which you can find all over

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    You could also just set it on the easiest difficulty

That seems to let you button mash pretty good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    wraiths will really fuck you up if you don't use Yrden because they take almost no damage otherwise

also their counterattacks hit like trucks so you gotta back off after an attack or two and be patient

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm at the point where I can hack a wraith to oblivion without moon dust or Yrden
    I don't know how
    the incorporeal thing just doesn't fool Geralt anymore I guess

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Most wraiths don't go incorporeal as much as the "boss" wraiths like noonwraith and such.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh man. I forgot Tony hawk 3 gets harder around the airport level.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

IIRC it's the first level where I can't clear all the goals in one run

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Is it weird that my first thought was "That's not that bad"?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Yeah, 3.5 gigs is nothing

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Considering the game also requires a 49gb install, it's kinda annoying to not be able to play right away.

Minor nuisance though

• Options
    Do day one patches get downloaded along with pre-loads?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I rented The Witcher 3 from Family Video and got through some side quests and the griffin.

It's sad that I may not buy it for years now, because I love what I played but the level of commitment it's going to ask of me plus my ferret-like gaming tendencies means I'm never ever going to complete it.

It's the same thing that's going to prevent me from ever owning Fallout 4. Tragic, really.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm basically resigning myself to never playing any games I buy on my PS4, when I get one, on the same day that I buy them.

3.5 gigs is about 5-7 hours depending on how my internet is doing that day.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

IIRC it's the first level where I can't clear all the goals in one run

Yeah I'm way out of practice for that. I almost had the foundry though.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

I can't tell if he's trying to dare Palmer Luckey into picking a fight with Nintendo.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Well you should read the rest of their conversation where they were talking about how much fun they were having playing Oculus and Morpheus together

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    shu yoshida wants a fight

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I agree with reggie

this technology is promising but it's not yet matured to the point where people really know how to make games for it

nintendo is probably waiting for other people to figure that out and then they might start dipping their toes into vr

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    but, animal crossing in vr.....

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Well you should read the rest of their conversation where they were talking about how much fun they were having playing Oculus and Morpheus together

I did.

And then he goes "Hey, look what this guy thinks of our awesome fun playhouse" and I'm imagining a six year old in shorts and propeller-beanie, poking his friend and going "are you gonna take that?".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Yeah, 3.5 gigs is nothing

i just had a flash of looking at a morrowind review and it said it was a gig to install and thinking "jesus, that's a quarter of our current hard drive"

and now i'm upset if a gig takes longer than 10 minutes to download.

man. technology.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Reggie saying "I don't think it's fun" and then being countered by two people who are heavily invested in the notion that it is fun claiming that it's fun doesn't really mean anything

That's like someone saying McDonald's is shit and the CEO saying "actually I find these burgers rather tasty!"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Reggie saying "I don't think it's fun" and then being countered by two people who are heavily invested in the notion that it is fun claiming that it's fun doesn't really mean anything

That's like someone saying McDonald'sis shit and the CEO saying "actually I find these burgers rather tasty!"

eh

a lot of twitter games journalists were out there disagreeing with him as well

Griffin in particular was like 'no, this is fun, and its fun now, not maybe fun in 5 years'

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I haven't worn any of these things but it's still basically all tech demos, right

it isn't capital P Proven as a real gaming device

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    All Nintendo really knows is that VR wasn't fun 20 years ago.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll be convinced VR is going to be a big deal when it actually happens and not a moment sooner.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    You know what else was really fun at first

Wii tennis

VR is super cool conceptually and technologically and I can imagine it being great in a few specific contexts, but I don't think anyone has actually shown anything to back up the idea that it's going to revolutionize gaming the way people say it will

So far the coolest actual practical thing I've seen from any of these headsets is how the hololens can essentially put an arbitrarily large TV in your room

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    VR definitely sounds like a thing you have to actually see to believe

But I agree with Lorne Lanning when he was like, "the build up and excitement around VR is coming from the creative and hobbyist side, as opposed to something like 3D which came from studios and theater owners wanting to make more money"

Everyone who's tried it, even the most skeptical, jaded sons of bitches in video games, has gone "this is fucking crazy"

And given that there's like five or six fucking independent companies producing their own version of VR, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a big thing at least for a while

Who knows what the blowback will be, or the side effects, or whatever

But it's not just gonna be a massive boondoggle like 3D was

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

But I agree with Lorne Lanning when he was like, "the build up and excitement around VR is coming from the creative and hobbyist side, as opposed to something like 3D which came from studios and theater owners wanting to make more money"

Everyone who's tried it, even the most skeptical, jaded sons of bitches in video games, has gone "this is fucking crazy"

And given that there's like five or six fucking independent companies producing their own version of VR, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a big thing at least for a while

or will it?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

or will it?

Implied... Or IMPLODED?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I will probably buy an occulus when it comes out

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
This discussion has been closed.