As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, May 14, 2015 - Family Is Where Work Is

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Family Is Where Work Is

Family Is Where Work Is
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/family-is-where-work-is

From the Outside looking In

Anonymous

I’ve been a fan of The Trenches comic (and the Tales) since the website first launched. I come back every week to read about all the terrible stories and how disrespectful the industry is towards the QA department. I was a security guard at the worst hospital in my city, I dealt with drug addicts and gang members on a nightly basis, and I would still take that job over a QA job any day. At least I got a decent paycheck.

When I heard that my friend was hired to do some game testing for a well-known developer, I immediately freaked out and showed him the Tales from the Trenches. I showed him stories about the 80+ hour work weeks, the financial insecurity, and the fact that you are almost always laid off after you put your blood, sweat and tears into your work.

But, he still took the job.

I finally got the chance to hang out with him last week. He just finished working 40 or so hours. He said the team was in “crunch” mode, and he’s not sure if he’s being paid for all of it. We hung out for maybe fifteen minutes after that before he wanted to go home and sleep. I had to drive him home because he was passing out behind the wheel, and almost hit a delivery truck before I demanded that I take over before he killed us both. I haven’t heard from him since.

I hate to say I told you so, dude. And I won’t. Just start looking for a better job, please.

Geth on

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Could this mark the return of longer-term story arcs in The Trenches (plus the potential for more of Cora's dad?) Let it be so!