As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2015 [Webcomics] Census

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    God dammit stop saying characters have illnesses you know nothing about [/i]
    a sociopath piece of shit

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Being a piece of shit affects hundreds of people daily

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    God dammit stop saying characters have illnesses you know nothing about [/i]
    a sociopath piece of shit

Suprise people make slip ups when pissed about every monster in fiction ever being attributed to something you struggle with everyday

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    I have Aspergers

Suprise I act like a normal person 99% of the time and know what empathy is *gasp*

What you are seeing in Gunnerkrigg is called being a sociopath piece of shit God dammit stop saying characters have illnesses you know nothing about

Sorry. What little I know about Aspergers is mainly "Has trouble reading tone and body language".

I originally wanted to put "Anthony has some sort of behavioural/social disorder". Perhaps I should have put that instead.

Again, sorry.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    It's not necessarily a disorder. No all people on the Autism Spectrum lack empathy, and not all people who lack empathy have any kind of diagnosable disorder. Since none of us are psychiatrists we shouldn't be making arm-chair diagnoses of fictional characters especially when it might be insensitive to those who have an actual disorder.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Or he's just an asshole. That can happen you know, people with no social disorders at all are just complete assholes.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I see no one has yet considered the ophidian mind wyrm hypothesis

• Options
    Furthermore
    mIsOHMH.jpg
    If you’re like, me you saw the Perfesser’s statement that he attended a “1950s sock hop” and immediately thought, “Have the bird-men of Shoe invented time travel, and do they use it to travel back to enjoy the innocent entertainments of simpler eras?” But the answer is clearly no, as obviously the Perfesser wouldn’t have phone service in the days before the deployment of modern wireless networks. So instead, we’ll have to console ourselves with the deliciously depressing story of the evening that we can derive from this strip: the Perfesser, having finally worked up the energy to leave behind another grim night at home, went out for a social event with fellow bird-nostalgists, only to be overcome with social anxiety at the thought of actually interacting with others; he thus spent the whole evening staring at his phone screen, with eventually disastrous results.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    My own theory is that Anthony is a construct of the Court who learned to love and is now trying to keep the offspring of the woman he loved from dying when the Court absorbs her powers.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Alternative Dialogue:

"I dunno, I've got a trick or two up my sleeve"

"Valiant effort, but you don't have a shirt on."

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    1432133342-20150520.png
    I'm amazed there's no erotic economics fiction called Perverse Incentives.
    1432132562-20150520after.png
    It's hard to mock the comic for being long when the comic is mocking the comic for being long.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Relativity is still updating! I forget when this was last posted so I'll start with the latest page I remember in the thread and the rest in spoilers.

4NOlJhF.jpg
    cw2DgOm.jpgR61KYza.jpg

JayKaos on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I have a terrible time telling the two apart, and thus have no idea which one is doing the yelling

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    I have a terrible time telling the two apart, and thus have no idea which one is doing the yelling

The one that isn;t the double is doing the yelling. The brown haired lady.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    WON4-r.jpg
    KEN N’GOLL T’GULA AN
    ZOSS K’AON B’SOLL B’AYLL ONN T’BARO N’TE KEN’AO A
    (If ever ye doubt the hunger of man, look ye to the time when ZOSS wrestled with giants of stone and fire)
    -Goblin Inscription

now, why wouldn't the other primes reincarnate

were their essences dispersed

or did they return to the void, and refused to come back to throne when given the chance

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I dunno. I think I can tell the difference between older Commander Novak and younger Commander Novak. Then again it's been only three years, but the older Command Novak hasn't exactly been taking care of herself.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    And the one being yelled at is the "never went off into space" version (or the "went off into space but came back when she was supposed to" version they still haven't explained it fully)

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    WON4-r.jpg
    KEN N’GOLL T’GULA AN
    ZOSS K’AON B’SOLL B’AYLL ONN T’BARO N’TE KEN’AO A
    (If ever ye doubt the hunger of man, look ye to the time when ZOSS wrestled with giants of stone and fire)
    -Goblin Inscription

The more this angel monologues the less I trust their motives.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    surprise

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    00001516.jpg
    It's a cool room!

K. So I binge read this comic over the weekend...

I think I am ready to give Anthony the benefit of the doubt. We really know nothing about him other than that he is cold and distant, disappears often, and has some issue with the forest.

Spoilered in case people haven't read the comic or whatever
    Given his reactions in these last couple comics, I believe he may have Aspergers Syndrome(or falls somewhere on the Autism Spectrum). When Annie was stammering and possibly lying about Renard his "Hm", to me at least, seemed like he was taking at face value. Same with Kat's body language and inherent tone when she invited them to dinner. He didn't pick up on it and, again, accepted it at face value.

Go back to the "Triple Date" storyline(Ch.37), and he doesn't know how to react or even feel about Brinnie having a thing for him* and in the end, rather than dealing with it he shut it out.

As for him forbidding Annie from going to the forest and taking Renard away, I'm sure there's more to this story than what we've been told. I mean...He did lose his hand. And we know a certain godly being that has a penchant for hand removal via magical wristband.

Also, I don't believe he blames Annie for Surma's death. I believe he sees Surma every time he looks at Annie(making her wash off the makeup, which was the same as what Surma wore as well as cutting her long hair. Basically, he's trying to make her look less like her mother). This is possibly why he disappeared for so long and stayed out of contact with her. Maybe he's still working on that cure because he doesn't want the same thing to happen to his daughter.

I'm really looking forward to this dinner/reunion as it could possibly shed some light on what Anthony has been up to these past few years and why he is doing the things he's doing.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and he's King Jerkface of Jerksville.

*The fact that he doesn't know how to react seems to bother him more than the fact that a girl likes him.

If there's one thing I really hate, it's people doing the whole "If he's on the autism spectrum, it will turn out to be OK that' he's a massive asshole!"

I'm on the autism spectrum. I learned how not to be an asshole by caring about not being one, not by trying to take absolute control over the lives of people I love. And granted: sometimes I fail and am an asshole. But people around me don't say, "oh she can't help it!", they tell me I'm being an asshole. Then I either adjust my behavior if after examining the circumstances I agree with them, or I disagree with the assessment and move on with my life. Sometimes I use a third party, someone who both cares about me and will be honest with me, if I think my judgment might be bad. Sometimes I've used these very forums for a "am I the asshole here?" check. It's not, like, impossible to learn not to be an asshole if you have Asperger's.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    let's talk about that room though

could she move more stuff in

cause I mean, that could hold some massive parties

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    This is why I'm bummed no one bothered to post in the autism thread someone made

No one cares to learn what high functioning autism *actually is*

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I don't claim to be knowledgeable about Autism/Asburger but Havent we seen flashbacks of him as a kid, and he shows no signs of the same kind of behavior hes showing now? Also, while i could understand something like this causing his cold seeming attitude, hes going out of his way to do hurtful things like making her cut her hair, and also things that are more then potentially nefarious...like wanting control of renard. He doesnt come across to me to be consistantly autistic, or consistantly ignorant of the pain hes causing. He only comes across consistantly as a guy out to be a complete douche to his daughter and having a specific (likely nefarious) goal in mind involving reynard. I still think its Coyote playing a straight man (which she would probably find helarious). Hes going to get worse and worse until Coyote forces annie to take a stand against him.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I think he probably means well

It's just that that don't matter a whole heck of a lot when you are actively hurting your only family

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Seems like it's time to repost this strip

2011-03-07-asshole.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Isn't being a mean irrational turd that characters whole schtick

Hobnail on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Isn't being a mean irrational turd that characters whole schtick

Yeah, but he doesn't excuse his behaviours.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Tan Jiu's Their Story, translated here. Actually I guess "Their Story" might be a title made up by the translators, and apparently it was actually untitled up until now. Mosspaca is apparently now planning to release a manhua edition of the story, which might be why new releases have been kinda slow lately?

evb7ci7px99e.jpg
    9er2eiogqnaz.jpg
    yu5hrsbfzh2o.jpg
    8pe23px6taho.jpg
    p219qr87zq6c.jpg
    z7sb1t715u74.jpg

c2.jpg 334.8K
    c3.jpg 383.8K
    c4.jpg 319.8K
    c5.jpg 238.3K
    c6.jpg 194.3K
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    The issue with Antony is that since he came back, he might as well have been treating an 'signs of emotional abuse' list as a scavenger hunt. And Annie is very clearly affected by it. Everything she used to care about is either removed or restricted. She's left scrambling for whatever scraps of affection Antony's willing to give her, and doesn't care because he father has her convinced she deserves this kind of treatment because she screwed up.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    o1stv53s3hrh.jpg

moss.jpg 319.2K
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Reminds me of ragnarok online

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I don't get where people are getting the idea that anthony has good intentions or means well

I really, really don't

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    He hasn't displayed anything regarding motives or intentions at all since his return. Which in itself is a huge check against him, since his only interactions so far have been with his only child, and can only be described as cold indifference.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    God, I love that third panel in Their Story where they're just standing next to each other on the balcony. So good. Also, kiss now, KISS NOW, NOW DAMMIT! I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    It's spelled Antony because he doesn't have a heart.

Magus` on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    It's spelled Antony because he doesn't have a heart.

Well yah, because he is a Construct of the Court he needs Kat to build him one.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I don't get where people are getting the idea that anthony has good intentions or means well

I really, really don't

I would assume because we don't know the character's intentions at all one way or another. Best not to assume until it's out in the open

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's a webcomic character, anything can happen

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Its possible that Antony does have all these conditions people accuse him of having but he chooses to act in the most goosey manner possible while other human beings have chosen to conduct themselves in a civilized fashion when dealt similar cards.

In this, Antony chooses to sanctify his actions with his pain and awkwardness.

He may have been the victim of events beyond his control, but he chooses to alienate his daughter and deny her his love.

What did Surma see in him?

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    1432104361-2015-05-19-Page-405.png

This discussion has been closed.