The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PA Comic] Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - Divergence

2»

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    What do you mean? There's nothing but the original modules and novels.
    That's all.

There are much more than that. Unless it was meant as a joke a la "There are no Matrix sequels".

steam_sig.png
  • ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I feel like this line of thought is pretty old news, but I suppose there are probably a large number of people out there who need to realize it, as the HBO series goes forward entirely on its own steam. Yes, early on, they used a lot of the source material, but if one didn't think that Drogo raping Dany wasn't enough of a tip-off that they were going to wander afield, then one was particularly naive. At least, it was enough of a tip-off for me, and so I never had a desire to follow the show. I tried, but I made the same observation that Martin himself made: those little changes would require reworking the story, paths would necessarily swerve elsewhere. I suspected this was the inevitable outcome, and I was right.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw an article that spoke in favor of Sansa marrying Ramsay, before that actual episode aired. I just laughed. That's so wildly off the mark that I'm grateful for rejecting the show now. It's hard enough to remember the details of the books, much less muddling in HBO's fanfic version of events which haven't even been written yet. There's no way I could keep my facts straight, in such a complex canon, if I tried to watch two different versions, when one is going to go so wildly off the mark.

Zomagic on
  • xanthianxanthian Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    <redacted>

"One does not simply bemoan the discussion of Game of Thrones without also, by definition, discussing Game of Thrones..."

xanthian on
  • RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Zomagic wrote: »
    I feel like this line of thought is pretty old news, but I suppose there are probably a large number of people out there who need to realize it, as the HBO series goes forward entirely on its own steam. Yes, early on, they used a lot of the source material, but if one didn't think that Drogo raping Dany wasn't enough of a tip-off that they were going to wander afield, then one was particularly naive. At least, it was enough of a tip-off for me, and so I never had a desire to follow the show. I tried, but I made the same observation that Martin himself made: those little changes would require reworking the story, paths would necessarily swerve elsewhere. I suspected this was the inevitable outcome, and I was right.

Yeah, I feel that when Martin finally releases next books, the story inside will be completely different to what was shown on the show. So some of those spoilers from the show might not be spoilers at all, when the books come out.

steam_sig.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Nono, Tycho is right to condemn show-watcher spoilers.

We should focus on the real history of Westeros.

YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    QuidShadowhope
  • xanthianxanthian Registered User regular
    Or, let's pretend you've sold out your beloved story that is taking you 5+ years to write a new book...

Let's say the publishing house, and rabid fans are hammering down your door.

Hell, let's say that you even have people complaining that everyone of worth was killed off and they don't care anymore.

Given that you've demonstrated basic human rationality by accepting huge sacks of money as a good thing, why would you not just shrug and let HBO write your next few books for you, then collect your cheque from the publishing house?

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    xanthian wrote: »
    Or, let's pretend you've sold out your beloved story that is taking you 5+ years to write a new book...

Let's say the publishing house, and rabid fans are hammering down your door.

Hell, let's say that you even have people complaining that everyone of worth was killed off and they don't care anymore.

Given that you've demonstrated basic human rationality by accepting huge sacks of money as a good thing, why would you not just shrug and let HBO write your next few books for you, then collect your cheque from the publishing house?

Or, having let HBO fuck things up, you write an ending people enjoy, more than buying back any goodwill you lost along the way.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote: »
    Zomagic wrote: »

Yeah, I feel that when Martin finally releases next books, the story inside will be completely different to what was shown on the show. So some of those spoilers from the show might not be spoilers at all, when the books come out.

But we have no idea which will be which.

That's basically the main reason I'm avoiding show spoilers. If the show was just going to give me the ending, adapting the books faithfully, I'd probably still be watch. But it's taking some things and not other things. It's still too close for me to look at it as a separate thing. It's too far for me to enjoy it as the same thing. The distorted version of the story that the show is going to provide isn't the same thing, and while I don't mind spoilers, getting the show version first would likely spoil the books for me by creating false expectations.

Since I greatly prefer the books to the show, and since I worry that the show will spoil the books for me (again, not in the sense of telling me what might be happening, but in the sense of it ruining the experience), I'm now fully avoiding the show.

Dinosaurs were made up by the CIA to discourage time travel
    steam_sig-400.png
2»