Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E PbP] 28 Weeks Later (Game starts back up on page 9)

178101213

Posts

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Sleazebeard checks over his weapons, pleased with the matte black finish he used to cover the gleaming steel before this mission. "Well, I can look fer traps ahead of ye or cover yer ass stealthily, which one matters not to me."

    He paused for a moment and gave himself a nod, thinking for a moment that he might be a poet and not even know it.

  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    "I doubt the undead have left many traps. Patrols are much more likely, so be careful if you range ahead."

    @Denada don't you dare leave this again.

    Fuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I'm still here! Just had a long weekend.

    Your footsteps echo against the stone walls of the alley as you creep toward the street, Sleazebeard creeping several paces ahead of you. As you come upon the street you see that the smoldering pile of something is actually a smoldering pile of someones. At least a dozen bodies are haphazardly thrown on top of one another, and it appears as though they were being burned before the rain put out the flames.

    Bleak's assumptions prove correct, as the clanking footsteps of a patrol can be heard coming from somewhere down the street. You don't hear any howls or shouts, so it doesn't seem like anyone has seen you yet, but you're going to need a better hiding spot than what you have now if you want to avoid being spotted.

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Dear dear dear thought Birch as the footsteps drew closer, quickly running down all of the ways he was likely about to die. Before he could work himself into a proper panic, though, a wave of of mental vertigo hit him, a feeling of sharp and intense deja vu: he'd heard those footsteps before, at the edge of perception when his third eye was open. With a deep breath he cleared his mind and focused on the portent. The steps would draw closer, closer, but he was crouching somewhere... buildings, a bale of hay, a foul smell...

    His eyes snapped open. "Ah," he said, "I believe there's reasonable cover a short distance up the street. If we hurry, we should reach it." He almost told them that the portents weren't perfect, and that he had only a short glimpse at the future in this case, but kept it to himself. No sense everyone panicking.

    Use my Portent roll of 13 for a Perception roll, for a total of 14. If the above isn't a reasonable use of Portent I can re-write it to work better.

    Edit: Coffee must not have kicked in yet. I meant a Perception roll, not Stealth.

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Strom would want to fight this patrol in the streets, but that might not be a good idea. Which way to this bell tower? Maybe we should duck into a building or another alley and keep moving.

    Fuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeah that's fine for Portent.

    The lot of you can can see where Birch is pointing. It should work well enough as cover if you hustle to it, however it's in the opposite direction of the tower.

    What do you do?

  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    The clanking footsteps of the city guard marched past her hiding place as she eagerly bit into the stolen food, her fangs tearing strips of meat off the bone. She was safe. They'd never find her here.
    "Hide. I don't want to draw their attention before the tower." The tiefling pivoted sharply, moving swiftly towards the cover Birch had helpfully pointed out.

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    "I second that emotion," Sleazebeard grumbled as he prepared to move toward the alleyway and scout out avenues of approach. "Best be playin' the long game."

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    "Feh." Strom grouses as he moves with the others to find cover, clearly unhappy with the hide option.

    Fuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Half a dozen armed and armored skeletons march by as the five of you crouch behind a soggy pile of hay, ankle-deep in a wet stable that hasn't been cleaned out in far too long. They don't appear to notice you, continuing on their patrol without a word or so much as a glance in your direction.

    Once the skeleton patrol has passed out of earshot, you make your way to the bell tower. From yet another dark alley (there seems to be an abundance of those in this part of the city) you can see the wall around the base of the tower, and the gate that would get you through it. The gate is guarded by a pair of soldiers, each one wearing dark armor and wielding a halberd. Their eyes glow red through the slits in their helmets as they methodically scan the area around the gate.

    Up above, you hear the beat of wings and see a pair of gargoyles land on top of the bell tower. They each find a perch on one of the corners of the roof, joining two more gargoyles that are already there.

    ElvenshaeFuselageRainfallMongrel Idiot
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Bleak pushed back her hood, turning to look at the others. "I don't have a way around these. We have to fight, unless you have any better ideas."

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "Perhaps a moment of caution," said Birch, peeking around Bleak's shoulder. "We can see the guards and the gargoyles, but not any reinforcements lurking on the other side of the gate. I could use a spell to look, and see if we're about to bite off more than we can chew." Dear dear dear, he thought, scratching Optic behind her ears. The cat, for her part, seemed perfectly collected.

    I can throw a clairvoyance just inside the gate and get a look around, if there are no objections. I don't have the book in front of me, but as I recall it's unlikely that anything in there would spot the magical sensor it creates.

    In the meantime, Birch casts mage armor on himself and panics a little that he hadn't thought to do it before.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Fuselage
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    "Now we're on the same page, lad." Strom says unhooking his weapons and flipping them about in his hands, back and forth with a few playful spins, before finally settling on the magic hammer in his right and the axe in his left hands. "Fighting seems like a grand idea to me. A grand idea."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Birch's magical sensor doesn't reveal any lurking reinforcements on the other side of the gate.

    So, with that, it looks like it's time to charge into battle! Roll Initiative!

    Mongrel IdiotRainfall
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Strom's Initiative

    Strom's Initiative:
    1d20+1 17 [1d20=16]

    Rainfall
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+4

    1d20+4 11 [1d20=7]

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Oh dear dear dear...

    Oh dear dear dear:
    1d20+1 14 [1d20=13]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    FuselageRainfall
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for intiative

    intiative:
    1d20-1 17 [1d20=18]

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular

    Guys, I found Sleazebeard! Now I'm going to have to get him, learn how to paint him, and make him real!
    http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/dwarf, thief/latest/03099#detail/03099_quimbycopperthumb_f

    I also found Trebor from our first attempt at this. I'd have to replace his blade with some shiny translucent plastic to show off his eldritch knightedness. http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/corvus, overlord/latest/14302

    Steelhawk
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Round 1

    The knights guarding the gate react instantly to your approach, raising their swords and shields in a defensive position. The gargoyles don't react yet.

    3iaqglhiyhiv.jpg

    Strom – HP 53/53 | AC 16 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Bleak – HP 52/52 | AC 19 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Dark Knight 1 – HP 95/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Dark Knight 2 – HP 95/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Birch – HP 32/32 | AC 11 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Sleazebeard – HP 45/45 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 1 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 2 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.

    @Steelhawk is up first!

    Mongrel IdiotFuselageSteelhawkElvenshaeRainfall
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Brandishing his weapons, Strom boldly stalks out towards the middle of the area in front of the gates. "Aye, fightin' seems like a grand idea. So, come on then ya stinkin' pile o' bones. Come and get what's coming to ya!"

    Planting his feet wide, he grins and prepares to receive the first creature to come within range of his hammer or axe...


    Even with fast movement, I can't get to them....I'll call them out and rest of you can save my hairy butt!

    Move 35' to M9
    Ready my attack action(s) to pound on whatever bad guys come close enough.

  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Bleak unsheathed her sword and charges the gate, blade glowing with magical power.

    Move/Dash to L8 just ahead of Strom. Bonus action to cast Magic Weapon to make my sword magic. @Denada you're up after the guards!

    Rainfall on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The dark knights take the bait and immediately charge forward. The first crashes into Bleak, thrusting his sword towards her in a series of rapid strikes.

    Dark Knight 1 moves to K8 and attacks Bleak twice. The first attack hits (20) for 9 damage, and Bleak must make a DC 14 Con save or her HP max will be reduced by 9 damage. The second attack also hits (19) for 5 damage, and Bleak must make a second DC 14 Con save.

    The second knight moves to engage as well, but not before Strom gets a chance to punish that choice.

    Dark Knight 2 moves/dashes to L9, triggering Strom's readied action.

    p0zzmj8qb95z.jpg

    Strom – HP 53/53 | AC 16 | Inspiration | Status: Readied Action.
    Bleak – HP 38/52 | AC 19 | Inspiration | Status: Magic Weapon.
    Dark Knight 1 – HP 95/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Dark Knight 2 – HP 95/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Birch – HP 32/32 | AC 11 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Sleazebeard – HP 45/45 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 1 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 2 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.

    @Steelhawk is up for Strom's readied action, then it's on to @Mongrel Idiot for Birch.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    With a shout, Strom brings his weapons to bear with determination and glee. A crosswise swing from the hammer connecting with the Death Knights jaw, rocking its head to the side, followed up by and overhead chop with the axe. While the axe blade was still lodged in the undead's shoulder and straight thrust to the chest with the hammer helped free his weapons.


    So that's 21 damage from three hits, the first of which was critital.

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Warhammer #1
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for damage

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Battleaxe
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for damage

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Warhammer #2
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for damage

    Warhammer #1:
    1d20+7 27 [1d20=20]
    damage:
    1d8+4 6 [1d8=2]
    Battleaxe:
    1d20+6 19 [1d20=13]
    damage:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]
    Warhammer #2:
    1d20+7 19 [1d20=12]
    damage:
    1d8+4 5 [1d8=1]

    Steelhawk on
    ElvenshaeMongrel Idiot
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Critical Hit!

    Critical Hit!:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

    Mongrel Idiot
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "Go, Optic," whispered Birch, and the cat shot off into the courtyard. Birch stepped up to the corner, peering around it. His vision was going hazy. When the portents came upon him unbidden, they were only partially accurate before and after the key moment, and it looked as though somebody had laid two drawings of the same scene done over one another, each drawn by a different hand. He murmured, rolled his hands in the air as though around the outside of a ball. Reality and portent began to blend, and at the precise instant--when Bleak was about to sidestep just so and Strom would raise his hammer high, leaving a narrow gap at one of the two undead--Birch barked a sharp word. The space between his hands filled with a ball of sizzling acid, and a split second later it shot away from him to slam into one of the skeletons.

    "Dear me," he said, letting out a long breath. "Closer than I would have liked." But there wasn't time for it; Optic was in position, and he needed to ready his next spell.

    Optic runs to 07 and Dodges. Birch steps up to Q6 and uses his second Portent roll (13) to fire a Chromatic Orb at Dreadknight D2. The attack roll comes out to 20, so it should connect.

    Geth, roll 3d8 for Acid damage

    Acid damage:
    3d8 14 [3d8=4, 7, 3]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    @Denada, I just realized my familiar was technically supposed to roll her own initiative. Do you want me to do that, or just have her keep going on my turns? I'm planning to have her deliver touch spells for me, so it matters a small amount.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

    Is that Necrotic damage? I reduce any slash/pierce/bludgeon damage by 3, and have Necrotic resistance from my Plate. You may have already included that, just making sure.
    (I need to make Concentration checks for Magic Weapon, I will roll those on my next turn)
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Con
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Con

    Con:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]
    Con:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

    Rainfall on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    @Rainfall It is necrotic damage, which I forgot about. So that's 4 and 2 damage, and your max HP goes down by 2 until you take a long rest.

    @Mongrel Idiot Go ahead and roll initiative for Optic now.

    zpvc47te1d5x.jpg

    Strom – HP 53/53 | AC 16 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Bleak – HP 46/52(50) | AC 19 | Inspiration | Status: Magic Weapon.
    Dark Knight 1 – HP 95/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Dark Knight 2 – HP 60/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Birch – HP 32/32 | AC 11 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Sleazebeard – HP 45/45 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 1 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 2 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.

    @Fuselage is up next.

    Rainfall
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Move to M6
    Replace Warhammer with Hand Crossbow
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 Hand Crossbow Attack vs D1
    Geth, roll 4d6+2 Hand Crossbow Sneak Attack Damage vs D1
    Cunning Action to Dash to J8


    Sleazebeard replaces his warhammer with his hand crossbow, curving around the wall and lining up a shot against the northernmost dark knight, cursing all the way. After his attempt on the foul creature's life he moves into a better position to bring his warhammer to bear.

    Hand Crossbow Attack vs D1:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    Hand Crossbow Sneak Attack Damage vs D1:
    4d6+2 15 [4d6=2, 2, 3, 6]

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Optic's Initiative

    Optic's Initiative:
    1d20+2 15 [1d20=13]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Fuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The two gargoyles remain on their perches, turning their heads towards the melee below. Almost casually, they spit balls of fire toward the group, striking Sleazebeard and Bleak with surprising accuracy.

    Gargoyle 1 attacks Sleazebeard. The attack hits (21) for 8 fire damage.
    Gargoyle 2 attacks Bleak. The attack hits (21) for 9 fire damage.


    Round 2

    z523mip9j5vl.jpg

    Strom – HP 53/53 | AC 16 | Inspiration | Status: Readied Action.
    Bleak – HP 37/52(50) | AC 19 | Inspiration | Status: Magic Weapon.
    Optic – Status: Familiar.
    Dark Knight 1 – HP 80/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Dark Knight 2 – HP 60/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Birch – HP 32/32 | AC 11 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Sleazebeard – HP 37/45 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 1 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 2 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.

    @Steelhawk is up.

    ElvenshaeMongrel Idiot
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Not that I want to eat some nectrotic damage...but do you not have an attack to resolve on Strom first?

    Edit: Oh, and because I'm sure it will be relevant, Strom has Resistances to all Damage (except psionic)

    Steelhawk on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    With another rapid flurry of strikes, the Death Knight in front of him takes some more punishment from the Warhammer.

    Just so I am not holding people up...I'll quickly go ahead with Strom's turn now....Two hits for 20 damage

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Warhammer #1
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for damage

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Battleaxe
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for damage

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Warhammer #2
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for damage

    Warhammer #1:
    1d20+7 21 [1d20=14]
    damage:
    1d8+4 11 [1d8=7]
    Battleaxe:
    1d20+6 14 [1d20=8]
    damage:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]
    Warhammer #2:
    1d20+7 20 [1d20=13]
    damage:
    1d8+4 9 [1d8=5]

    Steelhawk on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Bleak hisses as the crippling death-energies flow through her, hood blown back from the impact of the gargoyle flames. With a grunt, she hefts her blade and swings, enchanted blade glowing bright against the dark armor in its path, before flickering out as the pain breaks her focus.


    First, 3 concentration saves. Yikes.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 DC 10
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 DC 10
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 DC 10
    Action: Attack!
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 to hit Dark Knight 2
    Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Greatsword
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 to hit Dark Knight 2
    Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Greatsword

    Well, subtract 1 from all those attack/damage totals since I flubbed the save. Dang.

    DC 10:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]
    DC 10:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    DC 10:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]
    to hit Dark Knight 2:
    1d20+7 14 [1d20=7]
    Greatsword:
    2d6+4 14 [2d6=6, 4]
    to hit Dark Knight 2:
    1d20+7 26 [1d20=19]
    Greatsword:
    2d6+4 13 [2d6=5, 4]

    Rainfall on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Optic advances to M7 and dodges.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The knights continue trading blows with you, the dark metal of their blades leaving wounds that burn with unnatural cold.

    Yeah he didn't have an attack lined up. He had to double-move to get to you, Strom.

    Dark Knight 1 attacks Bleak twice. The first attack misses. The second attacks crits for 20 necrotic damage (reduced to 10). Bleak must make a DC 14 Con save.

    Dark Knight 2 attacks Strom twice. The first attack misses. The second attack hits (22) for 10 necrotic damage (reduced to 5). Strom must make a DC 14 Con save.

    etv930fo3rcn.jpg

    Strom – HP 48/53 | AC 16 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Bleak – HP 27/52(50) | AC 19 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Optic – HP / | AC | Status: Familiar. Dodging.
    Dark Knight 1 – HP 80/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Dark Knight 2 – HP 28/95 | AC 18 | Status: Normal.
    Birch – HP 32/32 | AC 11 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Sleazebeard – HP 37/45 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 1 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.
    Gargoyle 2 – HP 50/50 | AC 15 | Status: Normal.

    @Mongrel Idiot is up now.

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Shoot, I typo'd (or misread the map) in my last post: Optic should be at M8 to deliver a touch spell to Dark Knight #2. If you don't mind my amending that move, I cast Shocking Grasp through Optic; otherwise, I'll do Fire Bolt at Gargoyle #1.

    I assume that the Dark Knights are wearing metal armor, so I've got advantage on Shocking Grasp. If I don't, I'll use the first roll.

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+7 for Option 1: Shocking Grasp

    Geth, roll 2d8 for Shocking Grasp damage

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Option 2: Fire Bolt

    Geth, roll 2d10 for Fire Bolt damage

    Option 1: Shocking Grasp:
    2d20k1+7 24 [2d20k1=[17], 11]
    Shocking Grasp damage:
    2d8 8 [2d8=1, 7]
    Option 2: Fire Bolt:
    1d20+7 26 [1d20=19]
    Fire Bolt damage:
    2d10 12 [2d10=9, 3]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    @Fuselage, you're next, I believe.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
Sign In or Register to comment.