Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E PbP] 28 Weeks Later (Game starts back up on page 9)

1356713

Posts

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Unsure of precisely how much ranting Vakki heard, Homil maintains a studious silence.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Trebor felt as if he needed to justify the past actions of their little squad, "I still maintain that the were-rats would have become a great menace to society if left unchecked. We are ready for our assignment, as always." He prepared himself to be on the move, nothing left to say.

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    "That's quite alright, Vakki, I'll have Triswyn and Wysarel bring some of my own wardrobe instead of requisitioning travel clothes from the Order. It's challenging, but I'll make do."
    Key quietly murmured as she counted off outfits in her fingers, trying to determine what she could bring along on the trip.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Yes," Vakki says, though you're not sure to whom she is responding. After a few more twists and turns, you come to a large set of heavy double-doors. She pushes the doors open to reveal an expansive room, the size of a warehouse. A dozen or so arcanists in white lab-robes are bustling about, peering into vials of colored liquid, furiously scribbling notes and symbols on notepads and other surfaces, firing crossbow bolts at armored dummies, and performing all manner of other cutting-edge magical research.

    A pair of arcanists nearby are discussing a small onyx figurine floating a few feet above a table. One of them, a dwarf with an elvish accent (an oddity you get the feeling will never be explained) notices your arrival and walks over. "Ahh, Vakki," he says, shaking the halfling's hand, "Saving the world again, are we?"

    "Something like that," she says, smiling. "Do you have everything ready for them?"

    "Of course," he says.

    Vakki turns to the five of you. "Markus will take care of you. Meet me in the briefing room when you're done."

    Markus turns his attention to the five of you as well. "Right this way. Mind the summoning circle, if you please. It is ... sensitive."

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    "Strongest is the hand that shepherds the weak," murmured Karnak as walked past the circle. "Bravest is the voice who champions the meek." For emphasis, he rubbed the prayer bead bearing the sigil of the gauntlet-and-eye.

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Trebor trails behind Markus without further comment, eager to see what new and inventive tools had been developed by the arcanists. He had always admired their application of knowledge. As Trebor passed the summoning circle he tried to absorb as much detail as possible in an effort to analyze the ceremony.
    Minion, roll 1d20+5 for an Arcana check to identify the summoning circle, any familiar features, or peculiarities.

    an Arcana check to identify the summoning circle, any familiar features, or peculiarities:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "Markus!" says Homil, bounding up to walk alongside the dwarf. "We have rumors that there could be restless spirits in Anbury. Have you tassen berry to anoint our weapons with? Or some other means?" He gestures to a table full of potions. "Perhaps a tonic to let us walk in the spirit-world for a time, and match them with our bare hands? We will crush them, of course" he adds, a bit hastily "but a magical aid would do well to lessen their advantage. Foul creatures."

    Incidentally, Denada, I'm totally stealing your "ask each player to fill in a bit of the backstory" opener for the next game I run.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    FuselageElvenshaediscrider
  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    Slane couldn't help but lean over Trebor's shoulder to catch a glimpse of the summoning-circle too. "It was something Osraig mentioned in passing before they left. It has me worried, even more so with now with what you said. Primordials?" He spoke up as he stepped around the man, whilst adjusting his leather gloves, pulling each on his hands just a little more tightly.

    "I don't particularly like the lack of intel going into this Anbury matter. We don't want another Taives-incident on our hands again." He patted Trebor's back. "That's not a bad idea Homil, my friend. If anything, that might give us a little bit of information that we might need." In general, Slane was comfortable around most people, although he had to admit that dealing with Homil always put a tiny bit of him on edge. He had no idea about his own heritage, and from which side he had inherited his elven qualities, but he had heard terrible things about the racism that half-breeds sometimes had to endure. Being alert and on edge, would never be considered a bad thing in their line of work though.

    I had to hand in thesis yesterday, so I went a little quiet, but I am here now!

    FuselageElvenshae
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Ooh, I hadn't thought about how Homil feels about half-elves. I'm torn between him not caring, him not being aware that half-elves exist, and him not realizing that Slane is a half-elf.

    Eidt: While I have the floor, I tend to have a lot of days where I can squeeze posts in between work stuff, so I have plenty of time to participate. I don't want to hog the spotlight, though, so if I get a bit spammy feel free to give me an internet cuff upside the head.

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Fuselage
  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Key walked cautiously through the laboratory, careful not to disturb any of the magical experiments that were happening. She had tried, once, to aid the Order of the Rose in their developments, but her blood was unstable, and the magic from it could not be relied upon, except by the sorcerer herself.
    "How goes the experiments, Markus? Any new equipment you would like us to experiment with for you, or are we limited, as Ms. Tosselburr said we were?"

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Ooh, I hadn't thought about how Homil feels about half-elves. I'm torn between him not caring, him not being aware that half-elves exist, and him not realizing that Slane is a half-elf.

    Eidt: While I have the floor, I tend to have a lot of days where I can squeeze posts in between work stuff, so I have plenty of time to participate. I don't want to hog the spotlight, though, so if I get a bit spammy feel free to give me an internet cuff upside the head.

    I know exactly what you mean, I find myself with a number of lulls in my day where I can check for posts. Even now, if you Starred this thread like I have, I've already gotten your hopes up be responding.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Sorry for the delay everyone!

    Trebor, the summoning circle is pretty standard in its layout, but the control ring is made of electrum, rather than the silver you would normally see. Also several of the binding runes are reversed. It's very curious.

    Homil, Markus laughs at your request. "Tassen berries? Speak to Urich before you leave. Judging by the string of curses I heard coming from the alchemy lab, he would be glad to rid himself of them."

    Key, Markus laughs at you too. "If only field testing was that easy, my dear. I am afraid we really are that limited. The Hammer incident ... well, you know."

    He leads the five of you to another door, which he opens with a small key pulled from his pocket. Following him into the room, you are led to a large table with a very sparse selection of items on it. "As I said," Markus says, gesturing at the table, "We are very limited. In any case, here is what we have..."

    Markus gives you the following items, to be distributed as you see fit:

    1x Potion of Animal Friendship
    1x Potion of Resistance (Necrotic)
    1x Scroll of Cure Wounds
    1x Scroll of Misty Step
    1x Bag of Tricks (Grey)


    As he wraps up his explanation of the items, you hear a boom come from the research area, accompanied by a bit of dust being shaken loose from the ceiling. "Ahh," Markus says, clapping his hands together in the universal sign of being done with a conversation, "I will leave you to it. I believe someone may need my assistance." He nods his head to the five of you, then hurries out of the room.

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    "Hmm," says Homil, holding the potion of animal friendship at eye level and peering into its depths. "I need no potion to understand the beasts of the wild." He sets it down and heads for the door. "I'll speak with Urich about the berries and meet you at Vakki's briefing." He then ducks out, looking for the alchemist and very obviously hoping to somehow avoid the briefing and, by extension, the halfling.

    Not that it does anything, but I'd like to roll to see if Homil remembers the Taikari weapon anointment well enough to describe it to Urich.

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Remembering Taikari lore
    Edit: Ha! That'll end well.

    Remembering Taikari lore:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Homil, Urich seems entirely unconvinced about your proposed uses for the berries, but he's quite amenable to giving you as much as you're willing to take. As he hands them over, however, his curiosity gets the best of him. He's willing to work with you if you have the time, but given your shaky memory on the preparation of the anointment, it will probably take a while.

    You have a choice:

    • Make 1 application of Tassen Oil and finish in time for the briefing.
    • Stay with Urich and make 3 applications of Tassen Oil, but miss the briefing.
    • Take the berries with you and deal with it later.

    Applying Tassen Oil to a weapon will negate an incorporeal creature's resistances to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage, if they have any such resistances, when struck with the anointed weapon. Applying the oil requires an action and lasts for three attacks.

    FuselageMongrel IdiotRainfallElvenshae
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "I'd value your help, Urich," says Homil, looking in vague horror at the riot of mortars, pestles, flasks, and jars on the table. "I don't remember the elders' ritual well, but perhaps your learning and theirs will find common cause. It shouldn't harm much if I miss Vakki's briefing; the others will fill me in, and besides, we'll be well-served to have as much tassen oil as we can, if we come upon restless spirits. Let's get to work!" He proceeds to pick up mortar and pestle and ruin the first few berries before Urich can show him the correct way to powder them. Inwardly, the elf breathes a sigh of relief: another halfling tongue-lashing avoided.

    In a display of cowardice he would never admit, Homil avoids Vakki's briefing by staying with Urich and making 3 applications of Tassen Oil. Nothing important is going to come up in the briefing, right?

    Right?

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Elvenshae
  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    "Mmmm." Key passed her hands over the items, considering each one in turn with a critical eye, turning the potions in her hand and reading over the scrolls, aside from the Cure Wounds, which she quietly placed aside. "Trebor, the resistance potion would suit you well. I could make use of the Misty Step and the bag of tricks, but perhaps Slade would find the bag more reliable, as his magic is more narrow in scope than mine?" She paused, and reached back for the potion Homil had so recently discarded, gently taking it in hand. "I'll take this, as well." She tucked the scroll and potion away in her silk-lined purse, stepping away from the table to head for the briefing room, and to allow the others their pick of the items.

    I think Key is the only one who has Misty Step on her spell list, so that's an easy pick. The Bag of Tricks is great for any party member, but best for the back line. The Cure Wounds should clearly go to Karnak, and Necrotic Resistance is best with anyone on the front line, so Homil, Trebor, or Karnak can make use of it. Animal Friendship... nobody really can tell when that's going to be useful, so Key might as well carry it.

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Almost wish I had taken Ritual Caster so I could add Misty Step to my spells. I don't see anything wrong with your logic - I also think a sneaky character could get up to trouble with the bag of tricks, which I'm not against at all. I was going to wait for others to post, but I was getting the itch! Trying to find the rule for casting with a scroll.

    Trebor nods in agreement, "That makes sense to me. If they had the aptitude for such things, or the ability to be affected by it, I believe that Homil or Karnak could put a Misty Step to good use as well as part of a flanking maneuver. As it stands, though, I'm unsure."

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    C'mon guys let's not overthink this, we can always swap gear as required on the field. The sooner we get to the briefing room, the sooner we get to the good stuff!

    Fuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "...I'm camped north of the Genrich farm. I think ... I think they're hunting me. They never stop. They never sto-"

    The crow on the table shuts its beak and hops back to its cage. Vakki closes the cage and sighs. "That's all of it," she says. "Frankly I'm surprised we got that much. In any case, we have a lead now. Tharain's messenger arrived an hour ago, which means he was alive at least a day ago." She looks at the four of you, giving you a moment to process the information. "Go find him. Remember the information I've given you, and be careful."

    Vakki gives you a formal salute, as she always does after a briefing. "Good hunting. Dismissed."

    Alright folks, you're heading for Anbury in the morning. You have two horses and a wagon. Your mission is to find out what happened, rescue any survivors (hence the wagon), and kill any monsters. Start by finding Tharain's camp north of the Genrich farm, which is just outside Anbury proper.

    To represent missing the briefing, Homil will have disadvantage on skill checks related to the mission until he succeeds twice.

    Mongrel IdiotElvenshaeRainfall
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I'M SURE THAT WON'T WIND UP BEING A PROBLEM AT ALL NO SIR NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST.

    Hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but I figured I'd get us on the road to Anbury.


    Homil kept quiet as they rolled south toward Anbury, striving not to betray his confusion as the others discussed the mission, mentioning details from Vakki that he hadn't heard. He wasn't about to admit that he had not the slightest clue what they were talking about, and brushed off efforts to explain, claiming that Urich had filled him in on many of the details. When Slane mentioned needing to find Tharain's camp, however, the elf blustered into the conversation.

    "Well, that's elf-work, it sounds like," he said. "I've hunted orc and goblin since I could carry a spear, and man won't be much different. If nothing else, I can ask the beasts for news of him. Birds know a good deal of the lay of the land." He paused: he didn't want to admit that he had no idea who Tharain was, nor even much of an idea of where the camp might be. "Lend me your eyes, Key, if scrolls and high-elf food haven't dulled them. You've a better mind for maps than I do; between the two of us we should make short work of finding Tharain's camp."

    I've got reasonably good Survival, so I should still be able to track down the camp. If @Rainfall can succeed at a check to help me, that'll negate the disadvantage, if I remember the working together rules correctly.

    Naturally, Homil doesn't think to figure out who is the best tracker, but goes with whoever he thinks will make him look best.

    I'll go ahead and roll with disadvantage now; we can always disregard it if somebody comes up with a better plan in the meantime. If Key is able to help and I don't have disadvantage, I'll use whichever roll Geth lists first as my single roll. @Denada , does that kind of if/then statement for rolling for things work for you?

    Geth, roll 2d20+4l1 for Tracking down Tharain

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Ha ha, the error message when you jack up the rolling syntax is awesome. Let me try that again.

    Geth, roll 2d20l1+4 for Tracking down Tharain.

    Edit: I regret my choices in life. Also, if anyone needs it, here is a help page for the die rolling syntax.

    Edit the second: I completely forgot that people might want to grab extra equipment. Got a little over-excited; sorry, everyone!

    Tracking:
    2d20l1+4 5 [2d20l1=[1], 16]

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Karnak bowed his head with the dismissal, then made his way to the temple. He pushed past the heavy doors inscribed with a dozen sigils to the greater pantheon, then followed the sound of ringing blades towards the wing of the Lord of the Dead. He paused briefly to give advice to a practicing initiate, whose stance was weak and whose hands held his sword without conviction. Beyond the practice dummies was Brother Tyro the bookkeeper, the man who Karnak sought.

    "Brother," Karnak spoke quietly, so as not to disturb those around him, and bowed his head respectfully. "Through Vakki, the Great Guide has given me the command to head to Anbury. We know not what lurks there, only that we may find the dead or dying. Might I ask for supplies the heal the injured and inter the dead?"

    Not looking for much here - just a handful of Healer's Kits and five shovels or other tools for burying or burning the dead.

  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    "It's Slane, dear Keysera," he offered with a wink. "I am slightly offended that you would call my application of magic narrow in scope. That said, the bag shall do nicely." He put no effort into hiding his jesting grin.

    After having grabbed the bag of tricks from the table, Slane went back to his quarters. Having been pretty much raised by the Order of the Rose, he had incorporated a certain routine into the things he did before every mission, most of which involved his appearance. Upon arrival he got undressed and went to the washroom, so that he could shave his face and his head completely. Afterwards he returned to his quarters, and laid out his clothes in the order in which he would put them on. Fine clothes at that. He would not look out of place at gathering for the higher nobility. His dark breeches were of the finest cloth available, and they were accompanied by a pair of near knee-high boots. After pulling them on, he donned a sleeveless silk undershirt, and put on an immaculate leather-vest on top of it. Afterwards he slid a long knife into his right boot, with the hope that he would not have to use it. It was such a crude weapon in his opinion... Especially in his hands. He had always lacked the elegance with weapon in hand, that Karnak, Homil, or Trebor possessed. Still, his ways were refined on their own, and they would have to do. They had done so far. After adjusting the vest and making sure it sat just right, by giving the front of it a few tucks, he reached for his leather gloves and eased them on his hands, one after the other, making sure each glove was pulled on as snug and tight as possible. To end his routine, he reached for his monocle, and gave it a meticulous cleaning, before inserting it into his breast-pocket.

    Splendid. As an agent of the Order of the Rose, appearance was important to him. He was representing them after all, and he had every intention of doing it well, both in appearance and action. He nodded to himself once, and reached for the things he would need for mission, before departing for the wagon, where he would hopefully find the others.

    Rainfall
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Looks like this is a chance to describe every member's habits. I'll try to Step Up 3D.

    Trebor generally agrees with Homil's assessment of his tracking abilities and leaves the wild elf to it. While on the trail, he reflects on his last day in his city before departing for their quest.

    Like all of the other days before all of the other quests, Trebor spent his time conversing with his wife on their family matters as well as their life and his desires, should he not return. Afterwards he would spar with his daughter with a variety of arms. Though she was not yet a woman, she had a warrior's heart and her skill in arms was definitely improving - along with the talents her mother bestowed upon her. After the sparring session he would seek out his son and teach him of the Arcane, merely concepts, as the boy was still young but relentlessly inquisitive. He did this to ensure their well-being and longevity whereas their mother taught them other useful skills such as quick reflexes and a quick tongue. He had always respected his wife's skill in research and cunning, but it was her prowess with a word or song that truly always vexed him.

    Like that, Trebor compartmentalizes his family in order to focus on the task at hand - keeping his eyes sharp and his mind open to the mysteries and possibilities to the path that lay before his group. As usual he marched alongside the cart with his weapons sharpened and sheathed as well as his armor cleaned and donned comfortably.

    PACherrn
  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Key listened intently to every word of the briefing, committing them to memory as Vakki spoke, and as soon as the briefing was complete, she rushed to her quarters to give her own instructions to her retainers.

    "Triswyn, Wysarel, I know not what we will face on this journey. The two of you should remain here, to take care of my accounts and our home. Brylana, you will be my aide on this journey, I doubt you could rest without knowing Shai'en is being take care of properly, anyway. May Bahamut and Corellon watch over us all."

    The four elves murmured a prayer together, before Tris and Wys began preparing Key's garments for the journey, carefully packing away the finely embroidered dresses that were in style across the city, flattering form and extravagant with detail. Bry prepared the weapons, carefully sheathing silvered blades in their leather sheathes, and reverently removing Key's longbow from the case it rested in while she was in the city.
    Key herself simply meditated while her retainers moved about, the orb resting in her hands seething with flame, yet cool to the touch. Yet another mission where the destructive power of her draconic heritage would be called upon. It felt good to let loose, searing her foes and claiming their gold, but those instincts were a legacy that had led to her being banished. If her deeds were to reach home, she needed honor, not just glory.

    Keysera joined the others in the morning astride her elf-bred mount, as Brylana climbed into the wagon with the others. "A fine day for adventure, my friends! To Anbury, and whatever evil lies in store!"

    Always own your own horse! Key's retainers can't do much and won't follow her into danger, but it's nice to have a bit of help in the wilderness.
    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for tracking Tharain

    Nope. That ain't happening.

    tracking Tharain:
    1d20-1 0 [1d20=1]

    Rainfall on
    Fuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeeeeesh those rolls! I've got a meeting in 10 minutes. Expect an update later today!

    jdarksunRainfallMongrel IdiotFuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Karnak is able to get two Healer's Kits and three shovels. Not bad for such short notice.

    The road is quiet as you draw near to what most would consider the outskirts of Anbury. Homil and Key, your estimation of where Tharain's camp might be is vague at best. The woods to the south are probably the right ones, but your navigation - such as it is - doesn't get you there until late afternoon. Depending on how long this takes, you may have to make camp there yourself.

    In any case, as the open plains give way to forest, you come upon your first sign of life in days. Just as the sun begins to settle beneath the treeline, you make out a large patch of dirt, stained dark with what you recognize as old blood.

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Trebor immediately sets upon the stain of blood fertilizing this part of world, without checking his surroundings. Obsessively he searches for every detail and mumbles to himself as if partly recording his findings and memorizing pieces of a puzzle. Significant areas of the dirt he jots down in his book. A party might overhear his findings, but he never speaks conversationally until he has arrived at some probable conclusion.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 Investigation Check to measure the age of the blood, pattern of the splatter coinciding with common weapon attacks, any depressions in the dirt that might clue Trebor in to the size of the affected victims, and discover any small body parts such as fingernails or minute viscera.



    Imagine combining Dexter, CSI, and D&D in one package. Call it... Crime Dungeon: Scene of the Lich.

    Investigation Check to measure the age of the blood, pattern of the splatter coinciding with common weapon attacks, any depressions in the dirt that might clue Trebor in to the size of the affected victims, and discover any small body parts such as fingernails or minute viscera.:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]

    Fuselage on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Homil, suspecting that he's managed to get the party lost but in no way acknowledging that fact, keeps an eye out for impending trouble. He steps up onto the wagon to get a better view and scans the horizon, his yellow-gold eyes flickering as the eagle spirits of the Taikari lend him their vision.

    We're in relatively open farm country or plains at this point, yes? Homil will hop up on the wagon and take a look around to see if there's any sign of whatever made this blood splotch. I have the Eagle totem power that gives me vision out to a mile as though it were within 100 feet. I don't know if that counts as "related to the mission", so I'll roll Perception with disadvantage again, taking the first listed roll as my single roll if I actually didn't have disadvantage.

    Geth, roll 2d20l1+4 for Keeping Lookout

    Edit: It's like the dice themselves are punishing Homil for being kind of a dick.

    Keeping Lookout:
    2d20l1+4 7 [2d20l1=[3], 18]

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Fuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Homil, you're surrounded by trees at this point. In any case, you're still keeping a watchful eye on your surroundings. Nothing jumps out at you for now.

    Trebor, this is horse blood. Judging by the disturbances in the dirt, the horse was killed here and consumed on the spot by a pack of predators. You notice several trails leading from this spot into the woods. One of the trails was made by someone wearing boots. The other trails were made by something bipedal. Not quite human, but pretty close. They fan out from the blood-spot like a pack of wolves on the hunt.

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Key sniffs disdainfully from the back of her mount before slipping off with ease to join Trebor in the dirt, leaning in inquisitively and listening to him murmur.
    "I would have guessed a bunch of buried bloody bodies, but that would be why we need you here, Trebor. Nice work."
    She paused before standing, hands resting on the silvery hilts of her shortswords.
    "I think we should be careful, but if these beasts can eat a whole horse or something of that size this quickly, we need to destroy them."

    Taking advantage of Trebor talking to himself to dodge repeated information dumps. Tracking the booted person seems the smart call.

    Fuselage
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I am adoring the image of Homil standing tall on the wagon, peering the 10 feet into the woods that he can actually see as though scanning the horizon from the mast of a ship.

    I agree with Rainfall that the boots seem like the best path to follow

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Fuselage
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Trebor works his way through the revelation of the tracks and attempts to logically piece together a likely scenario. Relying on his knowledge of the local area's history as well as a cursory understanding of the forces of nature at play, he struggles with what sort of pack may have left that track.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 History Check to remember if any uncommon creatures have been known to attack travelers or herds in these parts.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 Nature Check to uncover the identity of these mysterious tracks.

    After reasoning as far into the puzzle as possible, Trevor comes to the same conclusion after sharing each detail organized under Bloodstain, Boots, and Paws. If it were an essay, his words would organize neatly into bullet form.

    @Denada, I don't know which of these rolls would be more appropriate so I rolled both just in case you wanted one or the other. I'm cool with following the boots, I just want to give the investigating its due since I already introduced the idea that this guy would rather solve a mystery than cleave a werewolf in two.

    History Check to remember if any uncommon creatures have been known to attack travelers or herds in these parts.:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    Nature Check to uncover the identity of these mysterious tracks.:
    1d20+2 15 [1d20=13]

    Fuselage on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I completely forgot to mention that all of you get Inspiration for the awesome intro. Moving on...

    Trebor, officially the only predators in these woods are things like wolves and bears. However, as a member of the Order you have access to records and stories that the average citizen would never see. Based on what you've read, and what you're seeing here, you may be dealing with werewolves or ghouls.

    Fuselage
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Trebor pats his silver glaive that he generally uses as a walking stick, "As time advances, the investment in silver plating continues to make returns. I believe we may see more of these tracks in the near future being made by werewolves are even some form of greater undead. These boot prints may be completely unrelated or mark a humanoid aligned with these monsters. Be wary."

    Got that long-winded monologue out of the way. I'll go wherever you guys are feeling.

    Fuselage on
    Geth
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Looks like you're all heading into the woods. What are you going to do with the horses and wagon? And Brylana?

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    "Then we follow the boots. Conspirator or informant, either will help me unravel this mess more rapidly than a brawl with ghouls or weres."
    Key gestured to Brylana, waving her close.
    "The sun is setting, lay the camp here while we hunt our quarry. The creatures are unlikely to return here, and even less so while we hunt them."

    Hopefully she won't get eaten. This seems less like a hunting ground and more likely just where they chased their prey down. Otherwise there'd be more tracks to and from, right?
    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for perception or tracking

    perception or tracking:
    1d20-1 10 [1d20=11]

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    "Are you sure we should leave your servant alone, Key?" said Homil. "She's no fighter. If it were wild beasts I would guess they won't come back here, but who can say with undead and skin-changers?" He shrugged, drew a handaxe from his belt, and tested the edge with his thumb. "Your decision, I suppose. Let's see what we can find."

    As we set off, Homil is dual-wielding handaxe and spear. Rolling a Nature check for tracking, same deal as before regarding disadvantage.

    Geth, roll 2d20l1+4 for Following obvious bootprints.

    Edit: I'm beginning to think that Geth always lists the rolls from lowest to highest.

    Following obvious bootprints:
    2d20l1+4 8 [2d20l1=[4], 19]

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Fuselage
  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    "Unless one of us wishes to guard the camp, we have little choice. She's elf-trained as I, and wise enough to know when to flee. Besides, we can hardly leave the wagon, horses, and supplies unattended, nor can we bring them into the wood with us."
    Key placed a hand on Brylana's shoulder, smiling confidently.
    "As long as we pursue the beasts, you will be safe. If creatures threaten you, then take Shai'en and flee to the city."
    The elf nodded, moving to the wagon and beginning to care for the horses first, her jaw set with determination.

    Rainfall on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    "Lord of the Dead, guide my vengeance," Karnak muttered. "Judge of the Damned, show me the path." He drew the maul, and strode forward confidently. "The gods will provide for your minions. Let us go visit their wrath upon the abominations."

    Is there a check I can make here to contribute? Insight, Medicine, Religion?

    Fuselage
Sign In or Register to comment.