Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E PbP] 28 Weeks Later (Game starts back up on page 9)

1246713

Posts

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Given Karnak's style, I think I'd like to see an Insight check from him.

    With Brylana attending to the wagon and horses, the five of you set out on the trail. It's getting dark pretty quickly, and you'll likely need a light source in the next few minutes if you don't want to rely on non-human vision. At the moment, you can just make out a clearing about 20 feet ahead of you. With Homil and Key working together, you can just make out the sound of a nearby stream of water as well. You're certain that the trail leads into this clearing.

    I'm going to count Key and Homil as working together, and give Homil one success. Homil won't have disadvantage on any more checks until he gets into town, at which point he'll need to get one more success to be free and clear.

    Also it probably wasn't plainly stated: this disadvantage doesn't apply to anything combat-related.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Minion, roll 1d20+4 for Insight as requested

    Edit: Dice really hate our group.

    Insight as requested:
    1d20+4 5 [1d20=1]

    jdarksun on
  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Key gestures at the others to hold as Homil and her creep forwards, ears and eyes straining for any hint of their prey.
    "Allow me to lead here. Whether our prey is there or not, I will relay a message for you to follow me up."
    As the others wait, she quietly moves ahead to see what lies in wait.

    I am completely comfortable relying on non-human vision. I think the only person who needs light at all is... Trebor. Holding us back! Also, Key appears to be the local tops at stealth unless Homils Mask of the Wild ability is more useful than just offering extra opportunities to roll stealth.
    UGH DICE
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for stealth

    stealth:
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]

    Rainfall on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Homil crouched low, slipping in among the trees and undergrowth, his fingers tight on spear and axe. The fire began to rise up in his blood, the wild Taikari battle-lust that the elders had kindled in him when he stood on the edge of adulthood and that had, ultimately, burned him out of the tribe. He kept Key on the edge of his vision, feeling the ancient kinship of the elves; though stretched so thin by time and fate and the separation of kindreds, the bond of wood and water and starlight was there. Long ago, their ancestors had hunted thus. He breathed deep, and crept ahead.

    Sadly, Mask of the Wild only gives the option to hide; it doesn't make me any better at it.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Stealth

    Edit: BOOM!

    Stealth:
    1d20+2 20 [1d20=18]

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I suppose you're all waiting on me to make a stealth check too. Here goes nothing.

    Geth, roll 1d20l1 for Trebor's Stealth Check.

    Edit: Either I messed up the formatting or I spent my best rolls on knowledge and investigating.


    Trebor lets out a light sigh as the reality sets in that while he can discard and recall his arms at ease, his armor is still bound by common materials and links. He tries his best to embody sneakiness for the sake of his crew while offsetting from them slightly so as to give them the thinnest chance to remain hidden should he not.

    Trebor's Stealth Check:
    1d20l1 1 [1d20l1=[1]]

    Fuselage on
  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Slane keeps to the rear whilst Homil and Key scout ahead, his hand reaching out to grab Trebor by the shoulder before he takes a few too many steps ahead. "Let them do their work, my friend." He offers with a smile. "Our time will come."

    However, remaining behind never meant being passive to Slane, and his mind began to go over all the things they had seen so far, from the tracks, the blood, what the others had deducted. At the end of the day, everything was just a puzzle, and with a good start, you could make even the most complicated ones fall into place nicely. "Charlemagne, take to the sky, I will need your eyes on this." Without a word, the tiny red pseudodragon appeared out of nothing, and began flying after Homil and Key, so it could hopefully help cover their blind angles as they scouted ahead. With a thought, he projected his mind into his familiar, and his vision became full of the trees that the little thing passed during its flight, as well as the trail below and the surrounding woods.



    Slane is trying to piece together everything in his mind, to see if there is something they might have missed. I shall roll investigation for that.

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for investigation!

    Charlemagne has blindvision 10 feet, and darkvision out to 60 feet, so he will aid in the scouting. He also gets advantage on all perception checks, so I shall roll for that too :)

    Geth, roll 2d20l1+3



    investigation!:
    1d20+6 13 [1d20=7]
    2d20l1+3 7 [2d20l1=[4], 15]

    PACherrn on
  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular

    And of course he tries to be as stealthy as a tiny sized pseudodragon can be!

    Geth, roll 2d20l1+4 for stealth


    stealth:
    2d20l1+4 13 [2d20l1=[9], 19]

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Trebor nods at Slane and takes on the posture of a patient sentry, secretly thankful that he didn't have to attempt sneaking anywhere.

    Oh bless your heart, @PACherrn.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Karnak, you have a bad feeling about this. But then again, you always have a bad feeling about this.

    Homil and Key, you've approached the edge of the clearing. You don't see anyone around, but you can smell blood on the air. There's a pile of something near the stream, which Homil's eagle eyes can make out as a few leather bags and a pile of clothes.

    Trebor, you are definitely too noisy to go with the scouts.

    Slane, your own investigative mind aligns pretty well with Trebor's conclusions. Charlemagne's vantage point offers you some new information, however. Converging on your position are roughly half a dozen humanoids. They're gaunt and have a feral gait. Those that aren't completely naked are wearing tattered rags. You've got about 12 seconds before they reach you.

  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    "We need to find a defensible position, because we are under attack, brace yourselves!" Slane glanced around for any spot that could give them some sort of edge against the almost-surprise attack against them. Meanwhile he continued to project his mind into Charlemagne, and the little familiar swooped down towards Homil and Key, where it swung round them once to catch their attention. As it did, Slane's voice rang out inside their heads, as clear as if he was standing right next to them. "Our position is compromised. We are under attack from all sides, you need to return."


    Rolling perception to see if there is some semblance of a defensible spot.
    Geth, roll 2d20l1+3 for perception

    perception:
    2d20l1+3 7 [2d20l1=[4], 8]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Oh I forget to mention, the syntax for advantage is 2d20k1. "l1" is keep the lowest, "k1" is keep the highest. Also if I remember right geth lists the results in numerical order, not the order they were rolled, so picking the first number listed won't work if it turns out you didn't actually have dis/advantage. In those cases I'm just going to reroll for you. No biggie.

    Actual update might not be until tomorrow because apparently everyone decided to do and need everything today.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    They're coming toward all of you. Of the six that Charlemagne sees, two are heading for the scouts and the other four are heading for the main group.

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Homil's blood runs hot, and he flashes Key a fierce grin as his heart begins to pound and the battle-lust to roar at the back of his mind. Not yet, though. Time enough to rage, to burn, to slay in a moment. Time enough for the hot coals of his fury to flare up into a whirlwind of fire and violence. For now, only stoke them.

    Homil takes a quick look around, including the clearing, to see if any of the attackers are nearby, and to see if any might be headed for that bundle of something by the stream; I have a feeling we don't want it to fall into enemy hands, if they prove to be intelligent. If my stealth roll is still good, and I spot one of them, I want to stay put and lie in ambush; otherwise, I'll move toward the group with Key.

    Edit: Homil stares intently at the trunk of the nearest tree, apparently.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception.

    Perception:
    1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Key immediately grasped her orb with one hand, flames flaring up in the depths of the crystal. "The beasts are showing themselves? They will regret their choice."
    The sorceress strode forwards confidently to the edge of the stream, shouting out to her companions still lurking in the woods.
    "Put the water at our backs and burn them as they enter the open space! We have the advantage when they cannot hide!"

    The clearing was only 20 feet ahead of the group, if we've got two full rounds we should have no trouble getting everyone into the clearing so our LOS is better and, more importantly, Key won't light the forest on fire and burn all her allies to death.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    "Let them rush to their destruction, I am waiting."
    Minion, roll 1d20+1 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+1 9 [1d20=8]

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Oh, good call on rolling initiative.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Homil's initiative.

    Homil's initiative:
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Oh yeah initiative
    Minion, roll 1d20+4 for initiative

    initiative:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Trebor's Initiative.

    Trebor puts himself between Slane and the ghoulish creatures that he can see, ready to strike any foes and defend his friends.

    Trebor's Initiative:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]

  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Slane's Initiative.

    "You heard Keysera, let's move to them." Slane remarked as he tightened his gloves on his hands, and began moving towards the clearing, making sure that the others followed suit.

    Slane's Initiative:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Oh right, good idea! Trebor follows Slane and still keeps himself between Slane and the threat as if that was his plan the whole time.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Round 1

    v1xtbt1of1tj.jpg
    Note:
    - If you are in a square with trees, you'll have cover. Otherwise you're out in the open.
    - Entering the stream costs an extra five feet of movement.
    - Moving diagonally is just 5 feet.


    A series of guttural howls emanates from the woods as the five of you make for the clearing. You have but a few seconds to gather yourselves by the stream before the humanoids - which you now see are a group of bloodthirsty ghouls - breaks through the treeline after you. They pause for just a moment when they see you gathered and at the ready, but that hesitation won't last long.

    Undead 1 – HP 28/28 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.
    Slane – HP 33/33 | AC 14 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Trebor – HP 50/50 | AC 18 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Key – HP 38/38 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Undead 2 – HP 20/20 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.
    Karnak – HP 52/52 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Undead 3 – HP 20/20 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.
    Undead 4 – HP 29/29 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.
    Homil – HP 59/59 | AC 14 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Undead 5 – HP 17/17 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.
    Undead 6 – HP 14/14 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.

    Up First: @PACherrn

  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Slane again pulled his black gloves on more tightly, as he surveyed the situation at hand, whilst measuring the distance between several of the ghouls, partly by eyesight, partly by guessing. "Hrm, do forgive the mess, but I would rather not that they got close." Satisfied with how snug his gloves felt, he immediately thrust his hand towards the ghouls straight ahead of the group. There was a sudden flash, as a ball of fire manifested out of nowhere, and surged towards the undead, only to come to an end before it actually struck one of them. They were however, not spared the massive eruption that followed a split-second afterwards.



    Here we goooooo! Might as well try it, since they are grouped so nicely! :D Slane casts Fireball on G3, catching ghouls U1, U2, U3, and U4 inside the fiery inferno! They must succeed a reflex save dc 15 to take half damage. @Fuselage is up next.

    Geth, roll 8d6 for explosion!



    explosion!:
    8d6 35 [8d6=3, 6, 3, 5, 4, 4, 6, 4]

    PACherrn on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    In an instant, the ghouls' howls turn from hunger to pain as their bodies are consumed by flame. Somehow one of them remains standing, and doesn't show any signs of giving up the hunt.

    U1, U2, and U4 fail their saves and are now dead. U3 makes its save and takes 17 fire damage.

    e8iyq3svqeik.jpg

    Slane – HP 33/33 | AC 14 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Trebor – HP 50/50 | AC 18 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Key – HP 38/38 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Karnak – HP 52/52 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Undead 3 – HP 3/20 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.
    Homil – HP 59/59 | AC 14 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Undead 5 – HP 17/17 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.
    Undead 6 – HP 14/14 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.

    @Fuselage is up next.

  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    You've gotta fireball them in the head!

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Trebor is impressed by his cohort's skillful display of pyrotechnics in spite of his disappointment of one of those foul victims remained standing. Striding forward he casts a minor spell at the remaining ghoul, intent on preserving his energy for the battles to come. After casting at the ghoul, he moves to place himself between Slane and another shambling perversion.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Chill Touch vs Undead 3
    Geth, roll 2d8 for Chill Touch Damage
    Trebor moves to I11

    Chill Touch vs Undead 3:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    Chill Touch Damage:
    2d8 6 [2d8=2, 4]

    Fuselage on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Already wounded, the ghoul has no chance of enduring the damage caused by Trebor's spell. It falls to the ground, burnt, frozen, dead.

    And U3 is down.

    pcwwj4mky7fa.jpg

    Won't bother with a statblock update.

    @Rainfall is up next.

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    A fierce smile spread across Key's face as the fire spread, but she was already in motion towards one of the flanking undead, fire crackling in her hands with a blazing fury.
    "Burn for me, monster."


    Move to K10 and point blank into U6's face.
    And of course I miss horribly. Waaagh.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Firebolt
    Geth, roll 2d10+3 for damage

    Firebolt:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    damage:
    2d10+3 16 [2d10=9, 4]

    Rainfall on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    @Rainfall do you want to use Inspiration to get advantage on that attack?

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I suppose I should, so as to not get Ghoul-mauled, but I was trying to avoid expending resources, and I feel like announcing inspiration should happen before the roll.
    Still, let's let Hubris happen and spend away!
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Inspiration
    ...Yeah, that'll do.

    Inspiration:
    1d20+6 26 [1d20=20]

    Rainfall on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 2d210 for crit damage.

    crit damage:
    2d210 260 [2d210=134, 126]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Mmm yeah let's try that without the typo.

    Geth, roll 2d10 for crit damage.

    crit damage:
    2d10 9 [2d10=7, 2]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Of course that didn't really matter, soooooo...

    Another ghoul goes up in flames, leaving just one for the rest of you to mop up. Even in the face of such poor odds, the monster doesn't seem interested in fleeing.

    @jdarksun, want to take care of U5?

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Karnak smiled in the grim satisfaction of knowing that his comrades were no less committed to the cause of justice than he was. "Strike them down, brothers and sisters!" The half-orc bellowed as he bore down on the last remaining creatures. "Purge them with fire and ice! Rend what is left until no two bones are connected!"


    Minion, roll 2#1d20+7 for attacking the final undead with extra attack
    Minion, roll 2#2d6+7 for damage (twice)

    Did I really just roll two 1s? What the fuck, Geth.

    attacking the final undead with extra attack:
    2#1d20+7 2 # 8 [1d20=1] 8 [1d20=1]
    damage (twice):
    2#2d6+7 2 # 13 [2d6=5, 1] 15 [2d6=6, 2]

    jdarksun on
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Yikes. Well, whatever happens I'm rooting for you!

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Homil, you have a chance here to end this fight before your companions have suffered anything more than some bloodthirsty howls. Of course if you fail, there's no telling what this ravenous ghoul might be able to do to Karnak.

    No pressure.

    h6irv8o80wea.jpg

    Slane – HP 33/33 | AC 14 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Trebor – HP 50/50 | AC 18 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Key – HP 38/38 | AC 17 | Status: Normal.
    Karnak – HP 52/52 | AC 17 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Homil – HP 59/59 | AC 14 | Inspiration | Status: Normal.
    Undead 5 – HP 17/17 | AC 12 | Status: Normal.

    @Mongrel Idiot is up.

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Homil almost doesn't bother to charge; the sport has been more or less ruined by the casters. But when the last creature ducks and weaves around Karnak's strokes, the elf sees his chance and darts through the trees to strike at the ghoul in a sudden, reckless frenzy.

    I'm not going to spend a rage here, but I am going to use Reckless Attack to get advantage on my attacks this round. Ghoul will have advantage against me, if it lives. So I've got two attacks with my spear and one with my handaxe.

    Geth, roll 3#2d20l1+5 for Spear, Spear, Axe

    Geth, roll 2#1d6+2 for Spear damage

    Geth, roll 1d6 for Axe Damage

    Edit: Or maybe I'll be an idiot and roll with disadvantage there, instead of advantage. The attack rolls would be 23, 20, and 17 there, for a total damage of 16. Which iiiiiiis.... 1 point short. Dang!

    Spear, Spear, Axe:
    3#2d20l1+5 3 # 10 [2d20l1=[5], 18] 8 [2d20l1=[3], 15] 6 [2d20l1=[1], 12]
    Spear damage:
    2#1d6+2 2 # 5 [1d6=3] 6 [1d6=4]
    Axe Damage:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Ehhh, that's close enough. But I'm going to give the ghoul one swing at Homil before it dies.

    The remaining ghoul howls and slashes at Homil with its foul claws, but the wild strikes don't connect. It falls to the ground, whatever semblance of life it had now drained out of it.

    U5 attacks Homil with Claws, but misses. Now it's dead.

    The clearing is silent for now. What do you all do?

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    "The Great Guide lead you on your final journay," Karnak intoned as he stowed the maul and gathered the slain creatures' remains. "Lord of the Crystal Spire, the flesh of these men and women have been taken and used against the natural order. Please show their spirits the true path." He piled the bodies into a small pyre, and set fire to the tinder. "Cleansing fire, purify this filth." The paladin sprinkled the flames with consecrated water. "Let nothing remain but our memories."

    Let me know if you'd like a Religion check to lay the dead to rest.

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Key bowed her head in respect for a brief moment before turning her attention to the pile of bags and clothes by the edge of the stream.
    She quietly gestured and murmured an elven incantation, an ethereal hand beginning to pick its way through the refuse, looking for anything of interest.

    Mage Hand! Key really doesn't want to get her hands dirty. Doesn't make for the best rolls, though. Yeesh.
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Investigation

    Investigation:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]

    Rainfall on
Sign In or Register to comment.