Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E PbP] 28 Weeks Later (Game starts back up on page 9)

145791013

Posts

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Given what happened to Brylana, Homil would prefer not to go alone. Wolves hunt in packs, after all. What? No, of course that's not a weird thing to say given that his totem is an eagle. No, it couldn't possibly be covering up a fear of being eaten alive by undead horrors. What could make you think that?

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Trebor would be cool to go up there and watch Homil's back while investigating, but I'd just as quickly assume we were all headed up there.

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Key nodded to Slane and Karnak as she made her way back through the woods, still sifting through the bags with her Mage Hand, but this time kneeling down and getting her hands a little dirty. Being exposed in the forest for as short a time as possible was a lot more important than avoiding a couple of stains, this time,

    Sorry, busy day at work. Damn audits taking up my life. Key's all for camping, but leaving clues behind seems like a terrible idea, so she's with Slane to check out the riverbank stuff. Karnak is coming as protection, seems like. Maybe Homil and Trebor can head towards the hilltop immediately and we'll catch up?
    Geth, roll 1d20 for investigation

    investigation:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Splitting the party? Sounds good to me!

    Although actually I'm going to assume you all stay together because it's easier for me.


    The stench from the ghoul corpses is pungent, but the clearing remains quiet. Picking up your investigation where you left off, you push aside the general traveling supplies to find a leather-bound journal, a small scroll case containing a rolled up map of the local area, and a pair of non-magical daggers. The smaller of the two packs is more thickly padded, and contains three potion vials and a pair of stones carved to look like talking heads.


    You find the following magic items:

    1x Potion of Superior Healing
    1x Pair of Sending Stones
    1x Potion of Heroism
    1x Potion of Mind Reading

    You also learn that this stuff was definitely Tharain's. But you'll need more time to find any juicy bits in his journal.


    After getting the wagon loaded up, you head for the hills. You don't find any more undead on the road out of the woods. Of note is the fact that you don't hear anything either. No insects, no birds, no rustling in the bushes. Other than the noise of your wagon, the forest is dead silent.


    A FEW MINUTES LATER

    You reach the top of the hill without incident. Here you find a small, makeshift campsite that has been abandoned. A small fire glows weakly near a one-person tent. On one side of the tent, written in ash, are the words "Westfeld lost. Genrich still safe."

    Below the hill, you can see lush farmland stretching out beneath a dense, hanging fog. A light breeze carries flakes of white powder, like snow, up over the crest of the hill. The area around you is quiet, for now.

    FuselageRainfall
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Investigation of the campsite to discern who or what Westfeld and Genrich are, and where any foreign tracks may lead.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Perception of anything peculiar or out of place in the distant farmland such as large bloodstains, abnormal crop circles, or suspicious livestock.

    Trebor sets to work combing over the campsite, mentally snatching up whatever details and senses available while putting the rest of the world around him at the corner of his mind like the nearby fog. After concluding his investigation or hitting a brick wall he turns his attention out over the valley, taking in that aforementioned commanding view. Though the world slipped toward chaos and darkness Trebor appreciated the cool breeze and melancholy skies.

    Investigation of the campsite to discern who or what Westfeld and Genrich are, and where any foreign tracks may lead:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]
    Perception of anything peculiar or out of place in the distant farmland such as large bloodstains, abnormal crop circles, or suspicious livestock:
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]

    Fuselage on
  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Key gracefully dismounted her horse as the group reached the top of the hill, her eyes scanning the horizon for any hint of danger. Satisfied that no immediate threats were pending, she reached out to grab a flake, placing it on the tip of her tongue. Ash, or snow?

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Trebor, Genrich is the name of a local family. The Genrich farm is the farm that Tharain was camped north of. The camp you're standing in was probably Tharain's. Given the state of the fire, the still-visible horse tracks, and the state in which you found his belongings in the woods, you can surmise that he was camping here, then had to flee into the woods because he was being hunted by ghouls. The message he left on the tent seems to indicate that the Genrich farm (which you're currently overlooking) is still safe, but that the Westfeld farm has been overtaken by undead. Whether or not that information is still true remains to be seen.

    The fog makes it difficult to pick out much in the land below. It's a crop farm, and a pretty large one at that. You can just make out the outline of a farmhouse, grain silo, and barn in the distance. You don't see any signs of unlife (or life for that matter).

    Key, it's neither. You probably wouldn't recognize it if it weren't for that one ritual you had to do that one time, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) you do know what this is. The flakes floating gently on the breeze are flakes of bone.

    FuselageRainfall
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Gross!

    Homil surveyed the landscape, trying to make out any details through the fog. The silence of the wood unnerved him: with the ghouls dead, something should have come out, even if it was just an incautious squirrel or jaybird. There was more than undead happening here. He made a quick search of the top of the ridge, looking for any creature that might have seen anything.

    I'd like to make an Investigate or Survival check to see if I can find any sort of small animal. My Survival is +4 and Investigate is +1. If I can, I'd like to use my speak with animals ritual to ask it if it saw Tharain or the ghouls, or if it knows about anything weird happening. Given the bonesnow, though, I have a feeling I won't find much...

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Survival/Investigate

    Survival/Investigate:
    1d20+4 16 [1d20=12]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Fuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Homil, in the immediate vicinity there's nothing but grass and rocks, and the insects that live there probably don't make for good conversation. But you can make out the silhouette of a vulture circling far overhead. If you can coax it down you can certainly talk to it.

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Key spat the fleck of bone onto the ground, her unease pronounced as she moved closer to the others.
    "This is bone, carried on the wind. Someone is working wicked wizardry, but why? Perhaps the journal has something?"

    Oof. This is looking like one hell of a grim situation, no bones about it. Nothing humerus about our circumstances. We won't be mistaken for spineless fools, though. All in or bust!
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Arcana on possible rituals that could use that much bone. Not expecting much.

    Arcana:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

    FuselageDenada
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Well if Key is talking out loud about Wizardry I'm sure Trebor would pick up on that or give it a shot himself. So I'll roll my own Arcana or assist her in some way, whatever you think is best. Academically this is a good learning point!
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Arcana Check.

    Arcana Check:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    "Evil magics," spat Karnak. "No doubt we'll find some demon or devil and a corrupted soul too stupid to resist temptation. Can you track it, Key?"

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Key and Trebor, the bone dust is certainly not natural. You check the journal for clues, and find this entry:

    This is evil magic. Some corrupted soul was on that boat, but getting to the docks is too dangerous. The whole of Anbury is covered in a vile fog. A fog made of bone! I need to find the source but I can't get past the ghouls. They're everywhere. Everyone. They never sleep or rest. They never tire. They eat and eat and never get their fill. Soon there will be nothing left alive here.

    And another entry, a few days later:

    I managed to find an old house from which I can see the docks. The position is defensible, but I lack the supplies to make it truly safe. I am out of my depth here. I need to get a message to the order, but whatever foul sorcery has befallen this town seems to be interfering with my own magic.

    Without living flesh to feast on, the stronger ghouls have started to prey on the weaker ones. They have begun to flee the town. There's a division here. The strong ones are smarter. More organized. I think they have a leader. The weaker ones are like animals.

    I saw the light again on that boat. I know the source is there but I can't do this by myself. I need to get help. I need to get out.

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    "Well, aside from all the unknowns and mysteries yet remaining, it seems our path is clear. Anbury has fallen, and our enemy awaits on a docked ship. Shall we assault in the dawn?"
    Key tossed the journal to Trebor, exuding unshakeable confidence as she walked to the edge of the camp, looking off towards the fog-clouded town.
    Ah, Leolan, my love, you would weep to see this. I can make sure you never have to.
    "Unless one of you can provide a reason to not burn this hellish pit of necromancy to the ground?"

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Karnak nods. "It's a sound plan. Purge the evil from this world as the day banishes night's darkness from the land." The paladin hefts his maul. "'tis a pity to wait, though."

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Trebor surveys the town as well as he can, searching for any remaining glimmer of life. "Given the number of undead we have identified as well as Tharain's notes, I'm not sure how much hope is left for Anbury. If we could assault that ship without touching the cityscape we would have a great advantage to rehabilitate the town, but I wasn't born a Water Genasi." That last comment seems to amuse Trebor, regardless of how uninteresting it may seem to anyone else.

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Homil watched the buzzard circling against the sky and grunted. "I'd like to know what he sees," he said, "but if he stoops and lands here it might give us away, and Tharain's journal claims there are smart ghouls out there." He glanced at Karnak. "What is it you said, Karnak? Something about smiting evil being its own reward?" He gestured with his spear at the land and the fog and the drifting flake of bone. "I think I begin to understand it. We will break whatever did this."

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    As he works through the issue of Homil's buzzard conundrum Trebor reaches a breakthrough, "If you were to convince that bird to carry one of these Sending Stones, you would be able to communicate with it covertly. If only I could magic that stone into the air to entice the carrion bird's talons, you could get your answers."

  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    Slane pursed his lips in thought. He remained quiet for a moment, taking in the details. "Purging the town or not, it would be wise to investigate the boat that supposedly created this mess. If we just burn everything to the ground, what is to stop another boat from docking in another village, and doing this all over again?" As he ran his hands over his bare scalp he smiled for a moment. "I think we need to go in there, on our terms of course. But we also need to send word out that Anbury is to be avoided at all costs."

    Fuselage
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    "Investigating the boat is a good idea, Slane." Karnak nodded. "I would have just burned it there in the harbor."

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Key nods. "It makes no difference when we burn it, so long as it burns. Ensuring that the fool responsible has no chance to escape is also wise."

    Heading out at night seems pretty foolish, I'm ready to set camp and head out in the morning, unless Denada wants to throw anything else at us.

    Fuselage
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    So are you all camping here on the ridge, heading down to the farm, pressing on to Anbury, talking to the vulture... whatcha doing?

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I say we camp for the night and go in hot in the morning. The night, after all, is dark and full of terrors.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    FuselagePACherrnRainfalljdarksun
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Sorry about the delay everybody!

    At Trebor's suggestion, the five of you make camp slightly below the top of the hill. You don't see any signs of activity from the forest, nor do you see anything going on in the farm below the hill.

    Being seasoned adventurers, you establish a watch rotation for the night and don't have any trouble staying alert; it's actually quite difficult to fall asleep. The breeze never really lets up, and there's a thick tension in the air that makes all of you feel like ... well, like prey. Even with people on watch, every sound, every shift in the wind, starts you awake as though a creature was about to pounce.

    THE NEXT MORNING

    There was some rest to be had through the night, since none of the night's fears ever bore fruit, but that rest was hardly effective. The morning is pale and grey. A sea of grey fog stretches below the hill, thick and heavy under a cold, distant sun. Where will you go now?

    So your rest sucked. You recover half the amount of hit points you normally would from taking a long rest. You still recover all your Hit Dice.

    Those of you with expended spell slots or other long rest resources need to make a Will or Constitution save (your choice), DC 12, to recover those slots/resources. If you fail the save you recover one fewer slot than you normally would. If this means you don't recover any expended Things, that sucks for you. Make just one save for everything, if you have multiple Things.

    But hey, nothing tried to eat you, so you've got that going for you. Where to now folks?

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Key rested fitfully, as she so often did, her trance spent in watchful paranoia rather than proper recovery. When she rose, she dressed carefully in the spare dress Triswyn had prepared for her, the long silk sleeves flaring about her arms like colored wings. It was a design choice she was quite fond of.
    Over a light breakfast of fruit shared with Brylana, she spoke.
    "We move on Anbury today. Whatever the source of this fog, my clothes will be ruined by it, and others will suffer worse."

    Geth roll 1d20+1 con for recovery

    recovery:
    1d20+1 5 [1d20=4]

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Homil was glad for the distant light of the run that roused him from his trance. Among the Taikari, trance-dreams of eagles and flight were common, but the elf had spent the night trapped as the prey in a dream of hunting, unarmed, his arms and legs heavy and slow as things with white teeth and red eyes chased him through the woods. The cold fear of the dream gave way to hot anger as he awakened. He sat down next to Trebor and saw to his breakfast.

    "Do you notice that, Trebor?" said Homil. "That feeling? Something is stalking us." If Trebor noticed it, it wasn't just a bad dream troubling him, and if it wasn't just a bad dream, Homil could probably kill it. But if Trebor didn't notice it... well. Homil didn't consider what that would mean.

    I don't remember if rage recharges on a long or short rest, but just in case here's a save to get that one use back.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Constitution save to recover a rage

    Constitution save to recover a rage:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Karnak rose with dawn's first light, disrobing as the sun began to dispel darkness from the land. He took a pinch of herbs from the blend he carried in a pouch on his belt, and sprinkled them over his skin. Next came fresh, pure water, with which he doused himself as he murmured a morning prayer:

    "He of the Unsleeping Eyes watched over us in the darkness; God of Guardians, watch over us this day. Let us pay homage to The Vigilant One, and keep watchful for all the evils that plague this land. Should we stumble across any that would prey upon the weak, exploit the needy, or corrupt the pure, Doombringer guide our hands."

    The paladin dressed, simple clothing under heavy armor. Last, he pulled on a tabard emblazoned with a black-gloved hand holding a two-faced head.

    "Lord of Three Thunders be with us this day, as we march to war against those that would kill a town."


    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Will (Wisdom?) Save vs DC 12

    Will (Wisdom?) Save vs DC 12:
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]

    jdarksun on
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Long Rest

    I didn't use any long rest features or spells, but I don't want to be left out.


    Trebor shrugged slowly as he worked down his filling but unpleasant piece of hardtack. "I expect that we have been under observation for sum time, but I've no way of knowing what malign intellect is behind it. I have no interest in bravado, but that observer must know we are a threat to them." Truthfully, while Trebor could be intensely focused on observation once he set himself on the task he usually wasn't the first to notice factors hovering outside of his gaze. As a young militiaman the skill had allowed him to find enemies hidden far away but lose sight of his own people.

    Long Rest:
    1d20+5 11 [1d20=6]

    Fuselage on
    Mongrel Idiot
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Heh, I guess I still speak in 4E sometimes. Yeah Wisdom is what I meant.

    Rages are indeed a long rest thing.

  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Slane was up bright and early as always. This morning however, he carried a stern expression. He hadn't slept well, that much was evident. Still, the less-than-fulfilling sleep did not keep his appearance from looking immaculate as always. Whilst he didn't say much as the sun rose, he had to admit that watching Karnak's morning rituals was somewhat of a guilty pleasure of his. There was something so very fascinating about piety on display like that. To be able to find comfort in another power in such a way, it was.. something alright. Especially considering the fact that Slane's own reaction to something like that, based on his own history and what he had managed to glean of it, was that of apprehension and at times down-right fear. What walked besides Karnak was something born of hope, that would protect and guard those not strong enough to look out for themselves. What walked besides Slane however, was something meant entirely to destroy, and Slane didn't even know what that thing might be.

    He shuddered at the thought, and quickly found himself tugging on his gloves, trying to tighten them around his hands. There was a sense of comfort in it. Purpose.

    "We have to decide on a route into town. Whilst dawn has broken, if the infestation runs deep, it might not be enough to keep the undead at bay, my friends."

    His mind began racing, working over every detail he remembered about Anbury. The layout, the geography and so on. Which route would be the most suitable one, if they were to reach the harbor in the safest way, or the quickest if that became necessary.


    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for wisdom save!

    Geth, roll 2#1d20+6 for remembering good routes!


    wisdom save!:
    1d20+3 16 [1d20=13]

    PACherrn on
  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular

    Let's try that again!
    Geth, roll 2#1d20+6 for remembering good routes!

    remembering good routes!:
    2#1d20+6 2 # 15 [1d20=9] 25 [1d20=19]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I'm trusting everyone to keep track of their spells and other stuff. If you're missing a slot of something please keep track of that.

    There are a few ways to get to Anbury. Following the road is the easiest route, though it's the most exposed. Another option is to cut through the fields. Most of these farms are growing grain, which is about as tall as an average human man at this point in the season. Neither option is completely safe. The road is faster, but there's no cover. The fields offer some cover, but moving through the crops will slow you down and you could get lost. In either case, taking the wagon into Anbury is probably not a good idea. You'll need to find somewhere safe for it until you're done.

  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Alright, I'll bite.

    "It would be folly to unmask ourselves in clear lines of communication if we have alternatives. Though, if we have already been observed without our knowledge then it would be assumed we would sneak into town by any means and as such I'd expect the farm to hold an ambushing force. Either way we are vulnerable, but at least if we are attacked at the farm we will still be concealed from the town. Whatever we choose we will likely do so on foot, which leaves what to do with the wagon."

    Trebor begins drawing traces of the town perimeter, farm land, and foothills in the dirt and ash as he plots the decision tree.

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "I think the ridge will be safe enough for the wagon," said Homil. "If there is any intelligence behind these ghouls then it would have come after us in the night, I expect. I say we follow the road in, as a thrown ax to an orc's head." He frowned; the idiom didn't have the right sound in the common tongue.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    "Agreed, Homil. If the ghouls can hunt us through a wood, they can hunt us through a cornfield. The larger threat we pose, the more of them will come to us rather than scattering through the countryside when their master is slain."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Sounds like you're leaving Brylana and the wagon here on the ridge, and then heading to Anbury on foot via the main road.

    Sorry about the sparse updates of late. I've been super busy at work and at home. But things are about to start moving again, for sure.

    If you're making any preparations before heading into town, go ahead and do so. Otherwise I'll post again later when Something Happens.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Karnak furrows his brow. "Why not just march down the road and into the city? If there are evil forces afoot, let them come. We will meet them in battle, and slay them where they stand."

    Apologies for the absence, work is keeping me super busy.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    A LITTLE LATER

    After saying goodbye to Brylana and leaving the wagon in her care, the five of you head down the road to Anbury. The gentle breeze that was ever-present on the ridge dies out as you descend the hill, leaving you to walk through the thick bone-fog in silence. A fine white dust covers everything down here in the farmland, making the landscape look almost wintry. That dust quickly begins to cling to you as well, since there's no breeze to blow it away.

    The sun feels very far away as you proceed down the quiet, dusty road, its rays giving you meager light and no warmth. The fields of grain stand tall and still on either side of you, with nothing more than the occasional vulture passing lazily overhead. You can't shake the feeling that you're being watched, but nothing causes the grain stalks to stir.

    You catch your first glimpse of Anbury a few hours later. The road leading into the city is just as abandoned and desolate as the one you've been walking on. A few scattered buildings rest outside the walls of the city. The walls of the closest building, which appears to have once been a stable, are splattered with old blood. The door of the main entrance lies on the ground, covered in a thick layer of white dust. It has clearly been torn from its hinges. The other buildings that you can see from here are in a similar condition.

  • RainfallRainfall Dungeon Queen Registered User regular
    Key was quiet as the group walked down the road, eyes wary and watchful as the bone-fog swirled about. A fine silk scarf covered her mouth, as she was unwilling to breathe in more of the dead than absolutely necessary.
    Disgusting. What, who, could have caused this?
    As they approached the outskirts of the city, ruined buildings clearly the sight of death and destruction, she looked to the others.
    "Should we search the ruins? Or push forward to the centre of this madness?"

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "Press on," said Homil, peering through the dust and holding his spear level before him. He strained his ears to hear any sound of an approaching enemy and wrung his hands around the shaft of the spear. Every so often, though, he pulled one hand away to wipe the dust off of his face. "We'll be as like to be caught in an ambush in one of these barns as we will by the ship. The sooner we come to the black heart of the matter the sooner we can cut it out."

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
145791013
Sign In or Register to comment.