As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Witness the [Movie] Thread! It lives! It dies! It lives again!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think they ever mentioned the name in the movie.

Also, I didn't have any problem with the dialogue in the movie. I could hear everything pretty clearly.

It actually sounded good which is rare for my theater. When I saw Avengers is kind of sounded like I was underwater and there was no bass.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Did people know beforehand that the thing was called the Doof Wagon or do they actually mention it in the movie

Also why is it called the Doof Wagon

We knew before. There was an early rundown and description of all of the vehicles.

It's called the Doof Wagon because it makes noise. Y'know, doof doof doof doof. It's the thumping bass of the Warband.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The part that made me the most tense and actual fired up my anxiety a little bit
    When Max is going to town on that mask. You could tell how bad he wanted that thing off his face and it made me feel claustrophobic a little

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I don't think they ever mentioned the name in the movie.

Also, I didn't have any problem with the dialogue in the movie. I could hear everything pretty clearly.

It actually sounded good which is rare for my theater. When I saw Avengers is kind of sounded like I was underwater and there was no bass.

I couldn't tell that the Warboys were chanting "V8 V8 V8 V8" until my third showing (which had more people than the first and second showings).

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Some of the chanting wasn't clear but that's expected. Chanting rarely is clear.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Oh, not a complaint! Just something I noticed after multiple viewings. This is the only movie that I can remember where 15+ complete strangers left the movie theater and started talking about what they had just seen in the hallway.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Very tempted to build my own Doof Warrior guitar.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Doof Wagon, I love how
    the guitar music synched up with the blind guitarist, stopping and starting when he was fumbling due to Max fighting on the vehicle.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    the guitar music synched up with the blind guitarist, stopping and starting when he was fumbling due to Max fighting on the vehicle.

I mean
    He was actually playing the guitar

That was a fully functional rig

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    One thing I really appreciated in the film was that it didn't have the usual "Feature presentation" thing that typically precedes the film at Regal.

It was just trailer, trailer, trailer, trailer, OPENING CREDITS

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Honestly, the only way they could make this movie any better is by having a post apocalypse Gypsy Danger show up and punch a cancer ridden Kaiju in its face.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I really liked Fury Road. The trailer was awful but the reviews convinced me. Gonna recommend it to all my friends! Also I think I have a crush on Nicholas Hoult now since I loved him in Warm Bodies too. Like, he has a thing now for looking really good in ugly make-up.

Really everyone was great in that movie.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    One thing I really appreciated in the film was that it didn't have the usual "Feature presentation" thing that typically precedes the film at Regal.

It was just trailer, trailer, trailer, trailer, OPENING CREDITS

This has nothing to do with the movie itself

That's a theater choice

• Options
    Honestly, the only way they could make this movie any better is by having a post apocalypse Gypsy Danger show up and punch a cancer ridden Kaiju in its face.

Ugh, no

Please keep your dumb sci-fi bullshit out of my dumb sci-fi bullshit

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    We had to go to three different movie theaters last night because the first two theaters were at 91% and 95% capacity. I was worried my friend wasn't going to like it as much as me after all the run around and my hyping it, but after the first WITNESS I could tell he was completely on board.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Every time I go see this movie, the theater was packed to the point of discomfort.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If and I mean IF I have any complaints about Fury Road they would be

I didn't like the 3D explosion scene. I don't like when movies put an obviously made for 3D scene in a movie that otherwise doesn't have them.

That shot is the only shot in the film that isn't anything less than spectacular.

I felt like they were really trying for a PG-13 rating and it took away from a couple of scenes just a TINY bit. I wish they'd have just embraced the R. I look forward to an unrated blu ray.

Really? I never felt like it was "trying" to get any particular rating. It was so obviously a creator's unfettered vision that everything that happened happened because he wanted it to. If it ended up not feeling like an R movie I'd say that's more down to the MPAA's rating system being byzantine and stupid than anything against the film itself.

• Options
    I don't know. There was a couple places where they cut away that made me think that it was intentionally to be a little less violent.

• Options
    I think that's more just George Miller's jam

He has proudly spoken of how few frames of explicit violence actually exist in Mad Max

He says it's only like, 50 frames

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I didn't like the 3D explosion scene. I don't like when movies put an obviously made for 3D scene in a movie that otherwise doesn't have them.

That shot is the only shot in the film that isn't anything less than spectacular.

I felt like they were really trying for a PG-13 rating and it took away from a couple of scenes just a TINY bit. I wish they'd have just embraced the R. I look forward to an unrated blu ray.

Really? I never felt like it was "trying" to get any particular rating. It was so obviously a creator's unfettered vision that everything that happened happened because he wanted it to. If it ended up not feeling like an R movie I'd say that's more down to the MPAA's rating system being byzantine and stupid than anything against the film itself.

Yeah, most R films I've seen have had a lot of cursing or a lot of blood, if not both.

This was the first time I saw one that was R because of the neverending action and violence.

• Options
    And like I said, I'm just being super nitpicky. There was really nothing wrong with that movie

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yeah, most R films I've seen have had a lot of cursing or a lot of blood, if not both.

This was the first time I saw one that was R because of the neverending action and violence.

I thought it was for the boobs. There wasn't even that much swearing...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't know. There was a couple places where they cut away that made me think that it was intentionally to be a little less violent.

The camera didn't linger on the violence because the characters didn't linger on the violence.

Is that dude dead? Okay then that dude over there is not dead, we have to fix that no time to examine our handiwork.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I just got back from Fury Road as well! It was fantastic, incredibly well paced and high octane. I didn't find much to take away from it, but I did sit there with a big grin on my face throughout, and left feeling perfectly satisfied. I'm not much of a cinephile but it felt really well shot and... complete, basically.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I think that's more just George Miller's jam

He has proudly spoken of how few frames of explicit violence actually exist in Mad Max

He says it's only like, 50 frames

Well then how do you explain the wanton carnage all over Babe 2: Pig in the City?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I just saw Interstellar.

It is now my belief that Fury Road is what was going on in Australia during the events of Interstellar's first act.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I'm going to go out here and say it

Pacific Rim was a better idea than a movie

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    pacific rim is a movie that hides all of its interesting stuff in the background or has it have already happened/happen off-screen

well, except for charlie day and ron perlman

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I mean
    He was actually playing the guitar

That was a fully functional rig

Well not everything you saw was actually what you were hearing. It would have been a ridiculous pain to shoot and edit it so that it all lined up at all times.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Pacific Rim was a movie with some pretty sickass Giant Robot punching Giant Monster scenes.

• Options
    Those sure are some opinions I dont agree with.

• Options
    Where were all the Pacific Rim detractors two years ago

Why didn't you back me up then

• Options
    I imagine having vow consign on your opinion always feels weird

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I loved Pacific Rim, but I acknowledge it could have been so much better, and I'm hoping the sequel achieves that

• Options
    The biggest positive thing about Pacific Rim though is that it is still my only D-Box experience, and the jolt the seat gave when they did the rocket punch was awesome

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I like Pacific Rim more than Fury Road

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Where were all the Pacific Rim detractors two years ago

Why didn't you back me up then

Because I got screamed out of the thread

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I like Pacific Rim more than Fury Road

That's such a toss up for me

I like the world of Pac Rim, it's just as soon as they climb into the robots and fight the monsters that it becomes snoozetown

But meanwhile there are no memorable characters in it, and Furiosa makes a really strong case for Fury Road

Like, regardless of what I thought about this, I would still totally go see a Furiosa film

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    just saw Fury Road

still seeing it in my head like some kind of flashback that will stick with me for awhile

what a ride

• Options
    The foam power ranger robots feel like they have more weight than pacific rim

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.