Options

Cthulhu Wars - (Chaos in the Great Old One World)

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't think that works. Pretty sure the rules say you only lose 1 unit if you can't retreat and that's it

Oh, really? I thought every unit that couldn't retreat was killed. I'd have to look at the rules later.

Yellow! Let's be friends!

MrBody on
  • Options
    Anyways, tis Cthulhu's move

@Phyphor

(Did you get the 2 new elder sign PMs from Lykouragh?)

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't think that works. Pretty sure the rules say you only lose 1 unit if you can't retreat and that's it

Oh, really? I thought every unit that couldn't retreat was killed. I'd have to look at the rules later.

I thought so too. Or one of my creatures wouldn't have died last turn...

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    (Did you get the 2 new elder sign PMs from Lykouragh?)
    I need one too

• Options
    Preda wrote: »

I thought so too. Or one of my creatures wouldn't have died last turn...

Can't look at the rules right now. I'd have to double check. If that's the case would it be fine with everyone if the creature was put back? Wouldn't really be fair anymore if I had final say discretion.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Daemonis got 1 and Phyphor got 2 Elder Signs

• Options
    Thanks!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Move cultist from NPacific to Arctic ocean

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Cultist from N Pacific to Arctic Ocean
    9->8

@Preda

MrBody on
  • Options
    Rereading the rules, they are right, if units can't run away, they stay there and a single one dies. How do we resolve that? Of the 2 units I lost last turn for not being able to run, one should have survived and be left in East Africa.

We have to choose if it survives (and that might change my and MrBody first move) or leave as it is.

@Phyphor @MrBody @Daemonis

• Options
    I'm fine with any solution.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I'm fine with letting a unit (hunting horror I presume) stay. Wouldn't affect my move, unless you change your move to directly threaten me.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I guess that's a majority consensus. The hunting horror can stay in East Africa.

@Preda for action

• Options
    Nyarly attacks the MiGo in South Atlantic. The horror from East africa joins him prebattle because he likes to live... 14->13

No other pre battle things around. To Fight.

Geth, roll 10d6 for Nyarly attack
    Geth, roll 1d6 for Puny MiGo defence

Nyarly attack:
    10d6 37 [10d6=6, 3, 2, 5, 3, 3, 6, 2, 5, 2]
    Puny MiGo defence:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

• Options
    The MiGo is really, really dead. @MrBody to decide if necrophagize or not.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    No to necrophage.

As I'm reading the Hunting Horror spellbook, it's not optional. All hunting horrors must move to every battle, so both yours would move to the south atlantic (wouldn't make a different in the fight). Does it seem that way to you? duh durrr why did I ever read it like that?

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Okay, so Crawling Chaos is obviously a big threat. If I were to make a major move against him this action - that has a good chance of majorly setting him back - can I get an agreement that Cthulhu and Yellow won't immediately take advantage and move in on me this turn? CC gets set back, I get set back as it's going to be a big power investment so I'm not going to catapult ahead, Cthulhu and Yellow get room to catch up.

Sound good?

MrBody on
  • Options
    Cthulhu has no interest in attacking the friendly goat's main holdings, though I do need kills and I may have to get them from the Indian ocean. Cheap to replace for you though

• Options
    updated map before big move

Board
    uw6XDYL.jpg

• Options
    Yellow sign? Non-aggression pact for this turn? I have a good shot at setting Crawling Chaos back a whole 2 turns.

• Options
    Well, my intesions are quite peaceful, and I have no points anyway.

• Options
    oh yeah :p

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Okay, here we go.
    (note: there was a cultist hidden under the Dark Young in W. Africa)

Move

Fungal form from N. Atlantic to S. America
    cultist from W Africa to N. Atlantic
    Fungal form from Antarctica to S. Pacific
    All 3 Dark Young from Africa to S. Atlantic

Claim final 2 spellbooks (have units in 8 areas, share an area with all enemies): Groth and Blood Sacrifice

ghoul from Indian Ocean to Antarctica
    cultist from E. Africa to S. Atlantic
    Shub-Niggarath from E. Africa to S. Atlantic
    ghoul from Arabia to Indian ocean

14->4

If I'm not mistaken the board should now look like this
    3cWzVWP.jpg

Initiate combat in S. Atlantic (as unlimited action)

4->3

MrBody on
  • Options
    @Preda to use pre-battle effect Seek & Destroy or not

• Options
    Ok, we're surrounded again. So extra Horror will die almost assuredly anyway with 17 dice rolled aganist, and the only advantage of get him here, besides the two extra dices, will be Nyarly survival if only a single 6 would get rolled.
    I have 12 dices anyway. Horror stays home.

@MrBody to roll this gory battle. May anyone there die!

• Options
    Yeah in hindsight this might not be the best tradeoff with how much power it took to set up, but oh well too late now.

The die is cast!

Combat South Atlantic
    Shub Niggarath (10 dice)
    3 Dark Young (6 dice)
    1 cultist (1 die)

Nyralathotep (10 dice)
    1 hunting horror (2 dice)

geth roll 17d6 for Black Goat
    geth roll 12d6 for Crawling Chaos

Black Goat:
    17d6 65 [17d6=5, 2, 6, 5, 2, 6, 2, 4, 3, 6, 1, 2, 1, 3, 6, 6, 5]
    Crawling Chaos:
    12d6 39 [12d6=1, 5, 3, 1, 2, 6, 5, 1, 6, 5, 2, 2]

• Options
    edited September 2015
    2 kills + 3 retreats against Black Goat. Cultist and Dark Young die
    4 kills against Crawling Chaos. Nyarlathotep and horror die

Shub Niggarath + 2 dark young to retreat.

Necrophage both my ghouls to S. Atlantic. (units are all retreating anyway)

@Preda to dictate retreat destinations

then Cthulhu for action

MrBody on
  • Options
    Cthulhu! You have an opening in either Asia or the South Pacific to receive your 2 devour spellbook. I hope you'll remember your good buddy goat giving you this opening :D

• Options
    Taken by maddening frenzy Shub Nigurath runs all alone in South America. Both dark young run to Indian Ocean.
    Also, While Nyarlathotep is yanked from reality by his grevious wounds, he still feast on Shub Niggurath pain gaining 4 powers 13->17

@Phyphor

• Options
    Oh right yellow has no power left. Hmm

Submerge Cthulhu, both starspawn, shoggoth, 2 cultists

8->7

@Preda

• Options
    Oh crap. I forgot that Nyral gets that bonus even if he just pains a GOO.

Whoooops! That certainly made that exchange not worth it.

• Options
    No one could stop the eternal wanderer from going on with his plan. As just as he's banished he comes back! In South Asia. 17->7

@MrBody

• Options
    Move cultist from N. Atlantic to S. Atlantic. Claim gate.

3->2

@Phyphor I'd like to point out that Crawling Chaos is ahead of me now after that blunder miscalculation of mine. Plus Yellow Sign is coming after me next for his Africa spellbook so I'm already knocked out there.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Board
    ft5dHXE.jpg
    Player status
    Great Cthulhu
    mfHULoX.jpg
    Spellbooks-

Devolve (Ongoing): At the end of any player's Action (even if it's not your turn), transform one or more of your Acolyte Cultists anywhere on the map into Deep Ones.

Absorb (Pre-Battle): Remove any of your non-GOO units from the area. For each such unit, the Shoggoth adds 3 to his Combat.

Regenerate (Battle): Star Spawn can accept up to 2 combat results. If they are both kills, it dies. On ANY other combination, it is pained.

Submerge (Action: Cost 1): If Cthulhu is in an Ocean Area, remove him from the map and place him on your Faction card, along with any or all friendly Units in the same area. On a later Action, perform Submerge again to place Cthulhu (plus any accompanying Units) anywhere on the map.

Dreams (Action: Cost 3): Choose an area with enemy Acolyte Cultists. Your enemy must eliminate an Acolyte Cultist (chosen by victim) and replace it with one of yours from your pool.

Y'ha Nthlei (Ongoing): If Cthulhu is in play you get 1 power for each Gate in an Ocean area that you do not control. (uncontrolled Gates do not count, because everyone gets one
    power from them anyway, but Yog-Sothoth does count).

Crawling Chaos
    8BpZYWf.jpg

Spellbooks-

Abduct (Pre-Battle): Eliminate a Nightgaunt, your foe must eliminate a non-GOO unit in the same area.

Invisibility (Pre-Battle): Each Flying Polyp can select one non-GOO to be sidelined, and not take part in the battle.

Seek and Destroy (Pre-Battle): Whenever a battle is declared in which one of your units participates, you may move any or all of your Hunting Horrors on the board to the location of the battle.

Madness (Ongoing): Whenever there is a combat anywhere on the map, you may choose where units that are pained move to.

Emissary of the Outer Gods (Ongoing): Nyarlathotep must be in play; Unless an enemy Great Old One is in the battle, any kill inflicted on Nyarlathotep becomes a pain.

The Thousand Forms (Once-Per-Action-Round: Cost 0): Nyarlathotep must be in play; roll 1d6 and all other players have one minute to decide if they will lose that much power. If they decide not to lose the Power, Nyarlathotep gains that much Power.

Black Goat
    GfTu83P.jpg

Spellbooks-

Frenzy (Ongoing): Cultists have a Combat of 1.

Necrophagy (Post-Battle): Move any or all Ghouls to that battle and apply an additional pain result to each side for each Ghoul so moved. Ghouls that are already in the combat cannot participate in Necrophagy.

Ghroth (Action: Cost 2): Roll a die. If the result is equal to or less than the number of areas containing Fungi, then your enemies must collectively lose that many Acolyte Cultists from the map. If they can't decide in one minute do it for them.

The Red Sign (ongoing) your Dark Young can now Build Gates, Control Gates, earn 1 Power each during the Gather Power phase, and add +1 apiece to Shub-Niggurath's Combat. They do not act as Cultists with respect to any other purpose.

Blood Sacrifice (Ongoing): Each Doom Phase you may sacrifice 1 Cultist to get an Elder Sign. Shub-Niggurath must be in play.

The Thousand Young (Ongoing): Shub-Niggurath must be in play. All Ghouls, Fungi, and Dark Young cost 1 less power to summon.

Yellow Sign
    0cTpcNN.jpg
    Spellbooks-

Passion (Ongoing): When one of your Cultists is eliminated by an enemy Action (Captured, Killed, Etc.) during the Action phase, gain 1 Power.

Zin Gaya (Action: Cost 1): In an area with an Undead and an enemy Acolyte Cultist replace that Acolyte Cultist with another Undead.

Shriek of the Byakhee (Action: Cost 1): Move any or all Byakhee on the map to any single area on the map.

The Screaming Dead (Action: Cost 1): Move the King in Yellow and any Undead in the same area to a neighboring area, you may immediately perform a second, different action (may not perform He Who Must Not Be Named as the second action).

He Who Must Not Be Named (Action: Cost 1): Hastur immediately moves to an area on the map with a Cultist. He may then perform a second, different action (may not perform The Screaming Dead as the second action).

The Third Eye (Ongoing): Hastur must be in play; Desecrate costs only 1 Power to perform, and grants you an Elder Sign when successful.

Doom track
    00m8kve.jpg

Ritual track
    d4NoFRx.jpg

Elder signs

Black goat: 2
    Yellow sign: 0
    Cthulhu: 7 (submerged: Cthulhu, 2 starspawn, 1 shoggoth, 2 cultists) Current Turn
    Crawling chaos: 7

MrBody on
  • Options
    Unsubmerge in South Asia

7->6

My 14 dice vs your 9 Nyarly?

@mrbody

• Options
    Oops wrong player order. @preda

• Options
    Let's even the odds a little, Summoning another Horror in South Asia 7->4.

It will be a blodbath anyway, with your starspawns soaking That much damage...

@MrBody to do meaningless things waiting for the main event.

• Options
    Avatar:swap cultist in Scandanavia with Shub-Niggarath

2->1

Happy snacking, Yellow!

@Phyphor

• Options
    Devolve one cultist to a deep one before battle. Attack. 6->5. Cthulhu chomps a cultist before the battle

Geth roll 15d6 for cthulhu
    Geth roll 11d6 for chaos

cthulhu:
    15d6 59 [15d6=6, 1, 5, 1, 6, 3, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 2, 6, 6, 2]
    chaos:
    11d6 37 [11d6=4, 1, 6, 5, 5, 4, 1, 4, 5, 1, 1]

• Options
    Starspawns absorb kill + 3 pains. Other 3 pains go to the shoggoth/deep one/cultist
    Chaos to retreat everything but Cthulhu and to kill 4 units and retreat the survivor
    @preda