As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why everyone is bagging on the story. I'm on Chapter 11 of Birthright and I think it's just fine. But then again this is my first Fire Emblem game so I have nothing to compare it to.

So far I am loving it and become totally addicted to it like

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote: »
    I'm not sure why everyone is bagging on the story. I'm on Chapter 11 of Birthright and I think it's just fine. But then again this is my first Fire Emblem game so I have nothing to compare it to.

Story on Birthright is okayish, it's more that it doesn't change for several chapters and Corrin acts like an idiot much of the time.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rev 26 and 27 are complete bloodbaths... managed nobody dropping on 27 thanks to Xander, Oboro, Keaton forming a wall of defense, with triple Sun Festal backup.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    dragonsama wrote: »

The story isn't bad, although that's not as true for Revelation; it's mostly the writing the bogs it down.

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I just got a fucking ZERO stat up level, ON MOZU.

Did it take under or over a second to decide to hit L+R+Start?

I just can't imagine that, with all my difficulties with keeping everyone alive, that people reset on bad levels up. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    1 month till the release of Fates, aaaaaaaahhhhh

Fire Emblem has become one of my absolute favorite franchises and the fact that I'll soon be playing three new games at once still seems kinda hard to believe.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    1 month? Where are you located?

Finished birthright, then stalled near the end of Conquest (roped into Stardew Valley hardcore). Don't think I'll pick up Revelations at this point - but reserve the right to change my mind!

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Fire Emblem has become one of my absolute favorite franchises and the fact that I'll soon be playing three new games at once still seems kinda hard to believe.

I went in thinking that, but ended up abandoning Conquest for Revelation to focus on building the ultimate army. I can't and won't stomach this game's writing more than is absolutely necessary, but skipping cutscenes goes against everything I was taught as a youngling.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

I can't and won't stomach this game's writing more than is absolutely necessary

It's that bad huh? How does it compare to Awakening?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »

the gameplay is excellent. the characterization in supports is good as always, the main stories leave something to be desired.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Endaro wrote: »

Much, much worse.

(And I include the supports in this, although that's a much more controversial position. They're not as bad, but a lack of consistent voice for most characters and Corrin being the Worst Character drag them down.)

The gameplay in Conquest is good, at least.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Fuck me! Ch.17 Conquest!
    I didn't realize the boss's weapon was Magic based until I'd left Effie in range to get killed. Shit! That's an hour down the tubes....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Here's a really interesting read on the making of Path of Radiance:

http://serenesforest.net/2016/04/20/making-of-path-of-radiance/

Mist and possibly Stefan (even more confirmation that he's descended from Soan) playing a bigger role would've been really interesting. Also, maybe not that surprising, but they seem to have had at least a general outline for the plot of both Tellius games at that point during PoR's development.

Maz- on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    MNC Dover wrote:
    I didn't realize the boss's weapon was Magic based until I'd left Effie in range to get killed. Shit! That's an hour down the tubes....
    Reminds me of the time I left Takumi in range of a boss after deliberately offloading his Pair Up partner into an adjacent space to get the bonus Attack Stance hit... forgetting that the Pair Up partner was Ryoma, and the hit to Takumi's speed was enough to let him get doubled and die. :(

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Kupi wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote:
    Reminds me of the time I left Takumi in range of a boss after deliberately offloading his Pair Up partner into an adjacent space to get the bonus Attack Stance hit... forgetting that the Pair Up partner was Ryoma, and the hit to Takumi's speed was enough to let him get doubled and die. :(
    And that's why I play Casual~

• Options
    17 complete. 3 characters printed and 4 are almost ready to go. Trying to get my S ranks in as well. I started far too late, but I didn't know who to pair up with until recently. I may end up not getting all the kids since some of them would require putting out vastly under leveled characters (Odin, Arthur).

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Fire Emblem is going to be one of Nintendo's next two mobile games (along with Animal Crossing), launching this autumn. Not a whole lot of info about it at the moment, other than it'll have more traditional game elements compared to Miitomo.

• Options
    Fire Emblem is going to be one of Nintendo's next two mobile games (along with Animal Crossing), launching this autumn. Not a whole lot of info about it at the moment, other than it'll have more traditional game elements compared to Miitomo.

I'm not sure what you mean by mobile. Is the 3DS not mobile?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

No, the 3DS is a dedicated handheld gaming system.

• Options
    edited April 2016

Which is carried around, hence mobile, yes? Thus my confusion, what do you mean by mobile?

Edit: Oh, do you mean a phone game?

chrono_traveller on
  • Options

Which is carried around, hence mobile, yes? Thus my confusion, what do you mean by mobile?

Edit: Oh, do you mean a phone game?

Yeah, of course

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Create a stylish avatar character you can decorate in a myriad of ways. Check in every X hours when your energy refills or your units are dead forever. Manage a list of friends that lend you their chosen champion you can use as cannon fodder since you can always summon them again later. Play up to map X and unlock DLC for Fates.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    If done right, this might be lethal to my free time.

Hell, all they have to do is enable the "ultimate child killing creator" aspect of FE: Awakening and people will go crazy. Now you can create your monstrous killing offspring without all that silly tactical map stuff in between.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Makea small scale FE. All maps with just a handful of units for you and small. The entire game takes place within a city and immediate surroundings.

Small skirmishes, like 4v5 in a bar.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So the final fantasy tactics advanced of the series?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    And microtransactions. Can't forget the microtransactions.

Recruit Marth for only $1.99.

Revive all fallen units for $3.99.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160428/index.html

09l.jpg
    With respect to Fire Emblem Fates released in February, this graph shows a comparison between the total sell-through in the U.S. market and the total sell-through in the Japanese market, where the title launched earlier. The week of each launch is counted as Week 1.
    Sales surpassed the 500,000 mark in the U.S. in Week 6 and have continued without losing momentum. Recently, sales caught up to Japan and are even maintaining a pace slightly higher than in the Japanese market.

10l.jpg
    This graph adds a comparison with the previous entry in the series, Fire Emblem Awakening. As you can see, there are major differences in the trends in the Japanese and American markets.
    In Japan, most of the demand is filled within the first few weeks after launch, but the Fire Emblem series continues to perform well over a long period in the U.S.
    In the past, the Fire Emblem series did not sell as well in the U.S. as it did in Japan. However, Fire Emblem Awakening greatly expanded the user base for the series, and the current entry, Fire Emblem Fates, has been popular abroad as well since launch.
    We are currently developing an application for smart devices based on Fire Emblem.
    We expect that many consumers will experience Fire Emblem for the first time on their smart device, so this application will offer a more accessible style of gameplay compared to the titles for dedicated video game systems. At the same time, we still aim to provide a fully engaging experience as a role-playing simulation game.

• Options
    Map pack 2 available May 5th with the final map releasing June 9th. Bundle is US$7.99/CA$11.29

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Well, Twitter failed to tell me but the Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (SMTxFE) special edition is finally up on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EO1WURQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1461967415&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tokyo+mirage+sessions

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Map Pack 2 doesn't have the festival DLCs :/

Can't say I'm too thrilled about that, but at least you can get all the x-taker skills you want... oh yeah, and the OP as balls Point Blank :lol:

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
  • Options
    I finished Ch. 20 in Conquest (Winds of Change) on my first try. It really wasn't that bad, although to be fair, I was playing slowly and on Normal difficulty. There was a pair of times I needed to shut down the wind, but outside of that it was OK.

Got my Effie/Salis combo to level 5 each so it's time to go get their kid. Will use that mission to pump supports/levels of other pairs to get the kid train rolling. It feels sort of like grinding, but they are non-DLC missions, so I feel they are fair game.

As a side note, has anyone here been using the Smithy building? I always get in that RPG rut of never using limited resources until the end, which often times is too late. I've upgraded no weapons, or used my attribute boosting items for that matter. I figure I shouldn't wait much longer.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I finished Ch. 20 in Conquest (Winds of Change) on my first try. It really wasn't that bad, although to be fair, I was playing slowly and on Normal difficulty. There was a pair of times I needed to shut down the wind, but outside of that it was OK.

Got my Effie/Salis combo to level 5 each so it's time to go get their kid. Will use that mission to pump supports/levels of other pairs to get the kid train rolling. It feels sort of like grinding, but they are non-DLC missions, so I feel they are fair game.

As a side note, has anyone here been using the Smithy building? I always get in that RPG rut of never using limited resources until the end, which often times is too late. I've upgraded no weapons, or used my attribute boosting items for that matter. I figure I shouldn't wait much longer.

It's very much worth using to at least upgrade iron weapons/thunder tomes to +1. Odin's unique skill depends on upgrading and renaming a weapon too.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Unless you want to abuse DLC and farm gold for weapons, I wouldn't go beyond making +1 weapons for a standard run of the game. That'll boost up the weapon you upgrade enough that it's more powerful than what it was before, at least. If you do abuse gold grinding or are just playing Birthright/Revelation, smithing is an easy way to make trouble units way more powerful. Keep in mind you need over 100 of the same weapon (I think the total amount is 128) to upgrade a weapon fully to +7, and you need dozens of ore specific to that weapon type to upgrade fully. At most you should probably stick with a +3 weapon, and +4 if you're adventurous.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    With the European release a mere week away, one question looms in my mind:

So, which version is better? Conquest or Birthright?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Conquest is much more difficult on the same difficulty levels than Birthright. It also has better characters but a less sensible story.

The rule of thumb is, if you liked Awakening then pick Birthright, if you like the older FE games then pick Conquest.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    I would be willing to argue that Conquest is the best of the lot. Or putting it another way, if you only play one, play Conquest.

Unless you are looking for another Awakening, then grab Birthright. Really though, Fates is top notch all around, just grab one and start playing.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    If you're willing to just completely tune out the story then conquest is great.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Talith wrote: »
    If you're willing to just completely tune out the story then conquest is great.

That was my take away from the entire Fates experience. The gameplay is on point, but everything written is thoroughly cringeworthy.