As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

looking for three dark fantasy books

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
Okay so I really these in middle school and really wanted to get them again but I only remember a few details from each. I will describe what I can remember of these. I think a few were part of a larger trilogy.

BOOK 1
This book is similar to The Talisman by Stephen King/ Peter Straub. It is told from the perspective of two brothers. At the start of the book they are traveling with their parents through a desert in modern times on a road trip. The mother is dying of cancer, or so it seems. It turns out the brothers are connected to another dimension of sorts, and are powerful beings. The mother is actually dying in this other realm by way of an evil sorceress I think? The mother dies and they both realize their father has been dead a long time too. The older brother is seduced by the evil sorceress and the younger one has to travel to the other dimension to save him from being corrupted like his mother. Don't remember much beyond this, though.

BOOK 2
This one is about a man who literally becomes Death, the Grim Reaper. He is in a car accident and Death comes for him. Somehow, he shoots and kills the Reaper, which turns him into Death. He can grab souls from within people in their last moments, and they appear bright or dark depending on their sins in life. I recall a scene where he accidentally rips a soul apart not knowing what it was.
He interacts with Satan, whom exists on earth running a mega-conglomerate. Satan tries to persuade him to give even good souls over to him and offers him rewards. Satan eventually captures Death's love interest and tortures her, causing him to go after Satan himself. I recall their being magic carpets I think? Magic exists, and is sold in a kind of alternate future. It was titled something like "Upon a Pale Horse" but I can't find a book under that name anywhere. I think it was called that because he had a white horse he could use to get around fast.

BOOK 3
This one was more straight fantasy. The protagonist is a woman who is either magic or somehow destined to be? She has a sword and a talking animal friend. This was a series of three or so books. In one book she finds a man frozen in wood. She uses her magic to free him and they fall in love. Together they take on... something? This is really vague because I don't remember much of these. I remember the girl had long dark hair? Not much help.

Anyways thanks for reading that crap

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Book 2 is On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony, and is the first book of his Incarnations of Immortality series, which I enjoyed a lot but had a few... weird.. things about it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Thank you! Was only two letters off. I read that one as a 13 year old and even as a kid I thought that it was pretty fucked up, especially the torture and well... other parts. I do like that they touch on stuff like how sins affect the soul, and he did a great job visualizing how the souls looked and felt to Death. Excited to read it again.

• Options
    SleepyDustSleepyDust Registered User regular
    Book 3 is Sabriel by Garth Nix. She is a necromancer. At the beginning of the book her father sends her his necromancy bells, and sword. Her father was The Abhorsen, a title that she will inherit upon his death. Her talking animal companion is a cat named Mogget. She does use magic to free a man frozen in a ship's masthead. They fall in love. There are editions of the book where the cover is a picture of her in her blue uniform, holding a sword with the bandoleer of bells, and yes she has long black hair.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    SleepyDust wrote: »
    Book 3 is Sabriel by Garth Nix. She is a necromancer. At the beginning of the book her father sends her his necromancy bells, and sword. Her father was The Abhorsen, a title that she will inherit upon his death. Her talking animal companion is a cat named Mogget. She does use magic to free a man frozen in a ship's masthead. They fall in love. There are editions of the book where the cover is a picture of her in her blue uniform, holding a sword with the bandoleer of bells, and yes she has long black hair.

I agree. Sabriel is also part of the Abhorsen Chronicles, which for a long time was a trilogy, but now there's five books planned. (I just checked on Amazon. The covers of the early paperbacks have the appearance you described, but they changed the covers to something more "modern" apparently. I really liked the old ones better. They were way prettier.)

• Options
    Thanks again! Surprised you could guess that off my terrible recollection. Looking forward to reading these again.

• Options
    SleepyDustSleepyDust Registered User regular
    BooK 1: Riverrun Trilogy by S. P. Somtow? First book is called Riverrun: Chronicles of the House of Darkling. I did a google search using some of the keywords from your description, and from reading the plot synopsis plus book reviews on Amazon it appears to be a match.

• Options
    That's three for three. Thanks guys! This can be closed now.

This discussion has been closed.