As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Drawing? Drawing.

Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Artist's Corner
Hey AC!

Art has become a chore the past few years, and I really want to have fun with it again and explore.

My favorite artist are Yoji Shinkawa, Ron Garney, Yusuke Nakano, Zdislaw Beksinski, Marko Djurdjevic, Albrecht Durer, Gustave Dore, Yoshitaka Amano...

My goals are to draw every day, and to have a finished piece every two weeks starting on the 31st. I'm bad at finishing things. I generally don't unless I'm doing it for someone else.

Right now I'm having trouble place figures in space and environments/scenes.

gGRro7Z.jpg
HaRHXgr.jpg
8DNIUNc.jpg?1
afBpBzol.jpg
YMRqVqMl.jpg
KuuMUJWl.jpg
oXCpG74l.jpg
etclgfAl.jpg
zay4Pccl.jpg
ZWcmyRHl.jpg
dTCIMXjl.jpg
PDRPQ9xl.jpg

Currently listening to: Pine Away by Superdrag

Red_Arremer on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Welcome back! These are much better than what I could do.

• Options
    Thanks. I'm trying to work on everything, but I'm also kind of in the dumps about the quality of my work. I'm having this terrible feeling of "it's too late to get better" and worrying about time constraints, other options, etcetera. I'm trying to draw every day and make it a part of my schedule because although I want to be an illustrator, if I think about the long term I get anxiety and doubts. If I think about today, I can have fun and improve on yesterday. My main goal right now is just learning how to create a scene/environments with figures, and above all to regain the sense of fun and creation and possibilities I had in high school in regards to drawing.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Outside of having influences, are you seeking any outside instruction? We have a section of the forum you probably want to look at: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/art-assignments-and-resources

These arent bad, if you keep hacking at it you'll move forward, but I think if you feel like you are in a rut it's a good time to think about grabbing some video courses. Focusing on your basics is hard, and I find having instruction gives you some motivation to drill down on it. I would look into Scott Robertsons books (how to draw/how to render) and think about doing some of the AC enrichments: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196641/enrichment-directory#latest

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Thanks Iruka! It's funny you mention that, because i just bought Scott Robertson's "How to Draw Environments and Objects from Imagination" (I think that's the title) and I was working on understanding the cone of vision yesterday. I'm finding it takes at least two books/sources to wrap my head around something, and Gwen White's "Perspective" book generally just does not have enough explanation and examples for me. I'm definitely going to try out the AC enrichments and assignments too. I'm also planning to take the Watts Atelier courses online, but I won't be able to do them until I find a job because of the monthly fee. Next sketchdump is Sunday.

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I drew every day this week, so I'm happy about that, although I hate virtually everything I drew, so I'll have to work on that aspect. One of the things I'm frustrated with is my use of multiple sketchy lines to find one correct one, so that's something I'm going to focus on this week. Sorry for the fuzzy photos, I'll have to have more light next time.

sZKLhWll.jpg
    QfYtPAfl.jpg
    QTQNKSyl.jpg
    FZAkWN9l.jpg
    cs60Flul.jpg
    hiuqzmel.jpg?1

blue pencil/ballpoint pen exercise from John Paul Lowe's "Foundations of Comic Book Art"

yZGRYpXl.jpg

Value thumbnails

IlU6sYLl.jpg?1

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    Worked on a project to draw my room. Started with a layout on grid paper, then a perspective grid I made in photoshop, a quick kind of crappy drawing based on that, and then took some time the next day making a more detailed and correct-ish blue pencil drawing. Penciled over it and scanned it, turned it into a blue line using photoshop, and inked it using a nib pen and ink. It was a fun process I used from "Foundations in Comic Book Art," but I definitely messed up a lot and learned from it. I practiced inking a little bit with one of my older drawings. Kind of disappointed with the results and missing a few days, but it's good inspiration to keep going. I want to try something else with pen and ink next.

QREf8iOl.jpg
    HxqFyn3l.jpg
    VfIsb4Al.jpg
    nRDvoEAl.jpg
    xr5lAvel.jpg

• Options
    Been working on this the past 3 weeks, which is 2 weeks longer than I wanted it to take. I learned a lot though, and it's good practice and inspiration to work at a more efficient, faster clip. I need a bigger scanner.
    ZWDICZ2h.png
    TOTGHQRh.png
    gGth9bkh.png
    FfD0bImh.png
    4aaSjBNh.png

• Options
    Hey. Had some depression issues but didn't stop drawing. Here are some finished pieces gals and dudes. Hope you like. I'm going to work on some Bridgeman/Loomis/Hogarth tomorrow.

ZysAvYkh.jpg
    k9lc0sKh.jpg
    vTpUGs2h.jpg
    MiZs8yDh.jpg
    uVFrs2rh.jpg
    x3cVUmRh.jpg
    yK1Ik58h.jpg
    iZbwm2bh.jpg
    oeP0kwsh.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Did these wedging/locking/overlapping figures from Bridgman. I can get into a bad habit of being really messy when I sketch figures because I'm thinking "I'm just trying to get it down and get a feel for it" and suddenly an hour in I'm like "most of these look like shit." A lot of it too is because I don't sketch enough. I tried finding what Bridgman was demonstrating in pics of models and it was pretty good practice. I also notice a lot of my stuff is really stiff on the first or second pass, and it's not until I draw something for the third time where it really starts to look right.

R1l82Bwh.jpg
    rLlBuZMh.jpg
    ACyrXBMh.jpg
    xsQy5LUh.jpg
    W313iLSh.jpg
    ljOSiQRh.jpg
    4sHkEmXh.jpg

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    This week's work. Crit me up. I'm happy with what I got done but I need to do a lot more in a week. After seeing some of Flay's proko practices I checked some vids out. I'm really impressed by the quality of everything and I'm going to make my way through the figure drawing course. I had a lot of trouble with drawing the foreshortened spine and masses, and didn't insert the lumbar into the sacrum in a lot of studies. The male figure I did before looking at any of the spine videos, and the female I did after practicing on the spine for 2 days; her hips are a little wide but I felt like it came together easier than the male. I still don't feel like I have a great grasp on the spine and the masses, but it's slightly better. All of my marks are really sketchy and messy right now, especially stuff drawn on the tablet, which I've just started getting used to, and I'm focusing on cleaning it up.

I'm trying to do some enrichments/assignments and I definitely need a lot of work on color theory. The color study thumbnails were really fun to do and surprisingly relaxing once I got into the flow of it. I did color pick from my reference photos; is that frowned upon? I tried eyeballing a few of them and they ended up being wildly different than what they actually were. I'll try again after a few more color studies.

UZeKBp0h.jpg
    ow9gus8h.jpg
    IBEU6aEh.jpg
    eObpWNjh.jpg
    qUfqdd3h.jpg
    k6dMMI1h.jpg
    6RnyoAHh.jpg
    yNeEjW6h.jpg
    46UPvuch.jpg
    ZBeGbThh.jpg
    a5FiAjhh.jpg
    GZiumlPh.jpg
    n4cykx1h.jpg
    bhhYPiMh.jpg
    Kyt4zhfh.jpg
    ztKHJj4h.jpg
    il5DuOHh.jpg

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    More art. Crits appreciated!

zx7HjEph.jpg
    Gdg38Jih.jpg
    jfxkmtph.jpg
    E0f4tx7h.jpg
    bhGSWH1h.jpg
    tZz69JZh.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2016
    More works and sketches! As always crits appreciated. Up to about 20 hours a week now but it's not consistent and I'm not producing a lot of finished stuff, mostly just proko practice and single object still life sketch. Just started the Watt's Drawing classes and planning on getting the proko anatomy courses when I have the money. Sorry for the bad quality in some of the images; I messed up editing their resolution.
    BAINbKjh.jpg
    F8MO04Sh.jpg?1
    0Mrk8cYh.jpg?1
    qkaOgazh.jpg?1
    eXBiPYeh.jpg?1
    jijT6a0h.jpg
    H3A31JEh.jpg
    w9gG7sFh.jpg
    RAS39Hlh.jpg

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey Red.

I think that you are showing improvements. Its hard to crit sketches, but from post one in this thread to now, you can see some solid steps forward. carving out that time can be real hard, so I commend you for even doing that. Commitment goes a long way, and its not the easiest thing to just do.

Keep at it, man.

• Options
    Thanks Iruka! Those words mean a lot. I'll keep on trucking.