As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher Thread] HEARTS OF STONE xp out 13/10/15. Comes with 2 physical gwent decks

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Been away from Witcher 3 for too long. My Gwent game has become weak.

Getting my ass kicked by old merchants with cheap monster decks.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Gonna wait a bit I think for this patch nonsense to be worked out. Better bow out so I don't get spoilt on the story for the expansion in the meantime.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    galaxy decided it was cool with patching my game today

they really need error messages that say things like "server is busy, try again later" instead of "YOUR GAME IS NOT SUPPORTED, OH MY GOD WHAT DID YOU INSTALL"

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Anyone wondering, the download for Hearts of Stone is around 2.1GB.

And I'm going to give the expansion a whirl on a new playthrough I started yesterday, so I don't mind if the patch stuff makes things a little wonky, I won't be loosing my primary canon run.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    InstantPigInstantPig Damn Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's a bug or a straight nerf but my Yrden slowdown % was cut in half. From 84% or so to somewhere in the 40's. That's with seven greater yrden glyphs in my armor.

Considering my strategy centered around yrden this kind of sucks.

PSN: Fading_Vision

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    gonna be checkin' my local gamestops today

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Maybe I just haven't played in awhile but the performance after the DLC seems a little sluggish.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    gonna be checkin' my local gamestops today

Sounds like it's delayed a little bit in stores.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Patch 1.10 has some 'interesting' glitches:
    eRiljxh.jpg

Just started the expansion on XB1, noticed you get four consumable slots now. Reviews seem good. :)

• Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    They finally released the Box Armor DLC?!

I wish I'd grabbed a screenshot of me running through a village in Skellige when suddenly Geralt's legs decided the ground was behind him at about a 150 degree angle. I floated all the way to the other end of the village contortionist-style before the camera decided to crawl inside Geralt and make it impossible for me to see anything. This patch is great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InstantPigInstantPig Damn Registered User regular
    So yrden slowdown has been capped at 42%. No matter your sign intensity or skills. So long sign build, it was fun.

Time to respec I guess.

PSN: Fading_Vision

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    This game needs more Vlodimir.
    His speech at the end of the wedding is amazing.

"Beneath the muck and the dung is a man! You've still shite all to talk about, but I don't mind anymore!"

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Just ran into this guy in a cutscene. Reminds me of a similar glitch in AC: Unity, only no floating eyeballs.
    rD5USWH.jpg

And the 'Skellige's Most Wanted' DLC is still not fixed, before the werewolf was just unkillable, now he's unkillable and falls through the ground. Progress!

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    They might have rebroke Skellige's Most Wanted—I was able to come back and complete it awhile ago after I saw someone mention it was stealth fixed.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Just one dumb little detail I found amusing in the Rose on the Red Field quest:
    If you jedi mind trick the two fallen knights and tell them to count to a hundred, they will literally count to 100, and only then will Axii wear off.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I have two secondary quests in Kaer Morhen that are currently glitched and can't be finished. Sigh.

OK, slight correction -- one secondary quest and one treasure hunt. In both cases, there's a quest object that's not where it's supposed to be (as confirmed by checking YouTube, etc.).

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Seems like finding red mutagens is still a pain in the arse.

How is alchemy build wise? I haven't really tried a build with alchemy or used decotions much. There are some nice skills in that tree but the point investment to even unlock them is too high. The high point requirements really hamper picking up support skills in other trees. That and a lack of skill slots. Was hoping for more in the expac.

edit: Great none of the vendors which usually carry respec potions seem to be carrying anymore and I finished the entire tower of mice quest line so that vendor is gone too.

danx on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    danx wrote: »
    Seems like finding red mutagens is still a pain in the arse.

How is alchemy build wise? I haven't really tried a build with alchemy or used decotions much. There are some nice skills in that tree but the point investment to even unlock them is too high. The high point requirements really hamper picking up support skills in other trees. That and a lack of skill slots. Was hoping for more in the expac.

edit: Great none of the vendors which usually carry respec potions seem to be carrying anymore and I finished the entire tower of mice quest line so that vendor is gone too.

There's an alchemy build guide over on reddit that makes it look pretty appealing.

And yeah, I don't understand what's happening with the red mutagens...I must find one for every 30 or so blue and green that drop.

Also, does anyone know what's up with the treasure hunt for Wolf School Gear? Its level requirement is 14 but it's apparently a Kaer Morhen quest, which I don't have access to now (and assume I won't for a while).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Wolf gear treasure hunt is 14 because all the pieces are in kaer mohren which is level 14. Red mutagens drop rarely because drop tables suck for monsters that can drop them.

Alchemy is hilariously strong, especially the first two oil tree, the first toxicity increase, and a few others. The biggest thing about points in the tree is not the absolute bonus you get (though some are super great*) but the duration increase for potions. Because potions have a fixed effect for the duration, increasing its duration will increase any absolute effects from the potion as well as simply letting you use potions in more fights because you can have a potion up the entire fight easily.

The problem with Alchemy is that its really anti-synergistic with itself and that is very strange. Compared to signs or combat where almost everything makes everything else better**. You can increase your toxicity tolerance and then increase your total toxicity so that never matters. You can get skills which give you bonuses above your toxicity tolerance and then raise your toxicity tolerance. You can, in the very same tree, get skills which only activate when you have >0 toxicity and also get skills which reduce your toxicity to zero almost instantly. Three abilities have more or less the same purpose in different ways, so you simply choose the one that best and ignore the others. That being said, Blade Oils/Bomb tree do synergize really really well with each other.

Anyway if you want to try potions i would suggest this build

Cat Armor
    Poisoned Blades
    Acquired Tolerance
    Protective Coating
    Refreshment
    Fixative
    Killing Spree
    Hunter's Instinct
    Muscle Memory
    Precise Blows
    Resolve
    +Red Skills that you can attain

Poisoned Blades and Protective Coating are super duper strong early. Protective Coating is +25% flat on the top so 50% DR becomes 75% DR. If you combine this with the decoction which gives DR based on carry weight you can be basically invincible even in cat armor. Fixative means they never run out (on PC not as big an issue). Pick up skills in rough order of appearance here. Killing Spree before Hunter's Instinct always. Muscle Memory/Precise Blows/Resolve can come at any point really. After you're done you may or may not want to get Cluster Bombs instead of red skills since CB's can be had immediately and you will have to put 5 more points into a less valuable red skill before getting to the really good stuff. Super lategame you can probably drop Poisoned Blades for more Red skills like Whirl, Razor Focus, Deadly Precision, or Sunder Armor [You can also probably drop Muscle Memory for one of those too]

Shoot for Ursine swords, Cat Armor

*Specifically Poisoned Blades, Protective Coating, Refreshment, Acquired Tolerance, Killing Spree, Hunter's Instinct, Clusterbombs/Pyrotechnics/Efficiency [CB is great on its own, the other two only with CB], Synergy[If you're in NG+ and are doing a Sign/Combat Build]

*E.G. While the total effects of the bonuses might be small, you can Melt armor, increase its potency with more intensity, and then guarantee burning with the super burning one. Or you can increase the size and then the AoE and then the strength of Aard. Though a lot of the abilities in signs just plain suck... "now your Aard does 200 damage which can't be modified by sign intensity!" they all work together really.

Edit: The Reddit build is really bad. With protective coating you won't need Endure Pain. With a bunch of skills in green you won't run out of potion duration anyway(except maybe on the last boss) so you don't need delayed Recovery. Side Effects is just plain bad because it only comes on line really at 4-5 points and because you always have the chance of getting mothergoosing cat(which due to your potion duration will last for like 20 minutes) as your bonus and blinding yourself. Forcing you to drink a cleansing potion and then reapplying all your other potions. Endure Pain is pointless with Delayed Recovery since your swallow will never run out until you're below the toxicity threshold so who cares about needing extra health to offset the toxicity burn?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Shani is finally back in the expansion?

Oh shit...looks like I might end up cheating on Yen.

• Options
    Surprised this thread isn't moving much. Did not many people here buy the expansion?

I just got these sweet new glasses, probably never taking them off now:
    ylH9S7l.jpg

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Surprised this thread isn't moving much. Did not many people here buy the expansion?

I just got these sweet new glasses, probably never taking them off now:
    ylH9S7l.jpg
    I don't know about everyone else, but I mostly got sidetracked on cleaning up remaining vanilla content. Still finding new merchants in Novigrad 200 hours in.

Whoever decided to put the glasses into this expansion needs a raise. That was a great callback. My Geralt now rocks the beard and the glasses and the neck tattoo, so he's pretty baller.

• Options
    Found the fast travel without signposts mod.

This game is perfect now.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I'm still working through my first regular playthrough, although I'm nearing the end.

Also, they could've done a better job of making it clear how to even install the new expansion -- it kept showing as "Coming Soon" in my in-game menu until I went into Galaxy, poked around on my W3 page until I found the additional content tab, then checked the box.

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    I've been playing through the expansion and it's definitely good so far but there's nothing really game-changing to talk about. It's just more of the Witcher 3 which is all I wanted. I was impressed though, some of the fights are actually pretty hard compared to what the normal end-game got like.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I'm going through the expansion (first with my sword-Geralt, alchemy-Geralt is up next) and having a lot of fun with it. Just a warning to arachnophobes that there are definitely places where you'll go "Nope, not entering that cave. I have enough hidden treasure."
    So far managed to kill the thing in the sewers (when you enter the ship, I was going "No way, not another map?" for a bit, but that turned out to be a false alarm. Thing is that I totally see CD Project Red doing that. Went to the wedding feast last night, played Geralt and Shani as just good friends. Had quite a bit of trouble with the boar during that part (not specced for signs or bombs and fists seemed to do little to no damage. That will probably go a lot better on my mad bomber Geralt run.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Does it not break quest triggers?

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    I've started a second play-through with a sign-build this time so haven't gotten anywhere near the DLC beyond buying a couple of new Gwent cards that are somewhat spoilery looking at the art. Gonna try and make a few different choices this time but it'll be hard... I hate disappointing NPCs :(

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Now available for weddings, funerals, and Bar Mitzvahs... Geralt of Rivia:
    WkTVa0h.jpg

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man expansion

I haven't even beaten the base game!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    STOP FUCKING RESETTING MY KEYBINDS WITH EVERY PATCH YOU ASSHOLES

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    STOP FUCKING RESETTING MY KEYBINDS WITH EVERY PATCH YOU ASSHOLES

Tweet them. They're extremely responsive to these type of problems.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Quick question, just started playing but if I take out all my potions/bombs/oils from my character slots and keep them in my bag, will I still use an Alcohest? I'm near the beginning and I don't have a lot of Alcohest and I'd like to meditate still without using one. Would moving the used potions/bombs/oils to my stash help?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    No, meditating will replenish all supplies you have used so removing them from quick slots won't do anything. Just keep looting crates and you'll eventually have more booze than you know what to do with.

• Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    My OCD+Impatience = your gain. Does anyone reading this thread not have HoS yet? I have an extra PS4 code as a result of buying it digitally, then buying the physical in store. Yes, I knew about the redeemgwent thing, it just seemed like too much of a hassle to save $7. Not asking for anything just want to pass it on to someone who wants to play it but was maybe on the fence. It's awesome by the way; some of the best content in the game in my opinion. Post here and I will PM code (first come first served).

Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    Holy Shit the Caretaker is a hard boss battle. That felt like a Dark Souls boss fight.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Holy Shit the Caretaker is a hard boss battle. That felt like a Dark Souls boss fight.

Quen helped me so much. Blocks his regeneration attacks when you screw up dodging.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Realizing that there's not much you can do about the phase in which he raises a bunch of zombies to cull was key to my success.

But yeah, Quen is always helpful.

• Options
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Does it not break quest triggers?
    I imagine it does if you're not careful about not using it in caves/dungeons, combat, big quest missions and the like.

Haven't had any problems with it so far.

This discussion has been closed.