As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher Thread] HEARTS OF STONE xp out 13/10/15. Comes with 2 physical gwent decks

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Best way to be Witcher is to be high as fuck on hella decoctions. Thus, alchemy tree is best tree.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I made all the decorations and never ever used them because I didn't like having toxicity so high I couldn't heal

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I made all the decorations and never ever used them because I didn't like having toxicity so high I couldn't heal

Use a decoction that heals you, problem solved!

Seriously though, Ekhidna decoction was fantastic for longer fights.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I've been running Ekihdna, Ekkimara and Water Hag at the same time. It's almost unfair how OP that combo is, I think I need to bump up to Death March, because it makes Blood and Bones too easy. I ended up taking on a level 35 contract fight at level 25 like that...

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    so the toxicity reducing abilities are needed to use all those decoctions at once, right?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The toxicity increasing one that gives you more max toxicity per known recipie.

Also the blade oil dr is hilariously powerful. (As is the toxicity crit bonus after kill...and a few others).

Really though you can avoid it it's not the end of the world.

"Super" lategame the most powerful ability is explicitly toxicity fueled in an utterly hilarious way.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I made it all the way through my first playthrough on blood and broken bones and the only potion I used was the healing one. And I'm not particularly good at this game. Once I got them figured out, decoctions were amazing. But they're ultimately not necessary.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    GOG is holding a $19 GOTY upgrade promo for Witcher 3 owners, if you have the base game but don't own the two expansions. Buying both expansions upgrades you to GOTY edition for free.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20161130_special_promo_the_witcher_3_goty_upgrade

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I made it all the way through my first playthrough on blood and broken bones and the only potion I used was the healing one. And I'm not particularly good at this game. Once I got them figured out, decoctions were amazing. But they're ultimately not necessary.

OK, but now go through Death March without using Quen

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    GOG is holding a $19 GOTY upgrade promo for Witcher 3 owners, if you have the base game but don't own the two expansions. Buying both expansions upgrades you to GOTY edition for free.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20161130_special_promo_the_witcher_3_goty_upgrade

So it's basically a $6 sale off the expansion pass (plus all the digital "goodies" that I never look at)? I'm kind of tempted but I never even finished the base game! Got burned out after putting in dozens of hours and then realized there was a whole other area (Skellige) to explore.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Finally getting around to Blood and Wine:
    First of all, so good back2back GOTY, etc.

Second of all, what's the point of the Wolf and Manticore set bonuses? Bomb builds? Some weird non-combat/alch build that I'm not seeing because I'm too invested in the Light Combat/Alch mindset I brought into the exapnsion? Has someone else made something cool out of these sets? They seem too rad to just ignore...

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I used parts of the Wolf set because I was tired of looking like the michelin man in my Griffin chest.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I used parts of the Wolf set because I was tired of looking like the michelin man in my Griffin chest.

I actually dug the look of most of the armor sets, with the exception of the later looks of the Cat Armor. It goes from 'Two Tickets To the Gun Show' to 'Battle Maiden Ned Flanders' in one upgrade because of that fucking atrocious turtle-neck sweater look.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »

Second of all, what's the point of the Wolf and Manticore set bonuses? Bomb builds? Some weird non-combat/alch build that I'm not seeing because I'm too invested in the Light Combat/Alch mindset I brought into the exapnsion? Has someone else made something cool out of these sets? They seem too rad to just ignore...

Manticore is pretty useful in max-toxicity alchemy/combat builds (though I used Ursine). Building max toxicity to max out Euphoria is just plain silly.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

I actually dug the look of most of the armor sets, with the exception of the later looks of the Cat Armor. It goes from 'Two Tickets To the Gun Show' to 'Battle Maiden Ned Flanders' in one upgrade because of that fucking atrocious turtle-neck sweater look.

Respect the tactileneck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FYJfEHOuY0

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Manticore is pretty useful in max-toxicity alchemy/combat builds (though I used Ursine). Building max toxicity to max out Euphoria is just plain silly.

This was my initial thoughts around Manticore. I was just able to squeeze in 4 active decoctions at once with it, and could put the light-armor runword in it to pick up the Cat School bonus for light armor, but then I'm just making my combat/alch build again! Combat/alch already seemed pretty absurdly powerful, so it seems like a shame to go further down that path and ignore bombs with it.

edit: I guess I could swap out cat school for gryphon school and not use the armorclass changing runeword. That + Euphoria should give me the ability to beast out signs pretty regularly as well. Maybe I'll try that, and the bomb bonus will just be sugar on top?

Grape Ape on
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    And the last six seconds of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UEd58BD2Qs

Are me every time I use a Cat potion.

• Options

This was my initial thoughts around Manticore. I was just able to squeeze in 4 active decoctions at once with it, and could put the light-armor runword in it to pick up the Cat School bonus for light armor, but then I'm just making my combat/alch build again! Combat/alch already seemed pretty absurdly powerful, so it seems like a shame to go further down that path and ignore bombs with it.

edit: I guess I could swap out cat school for gryphon school and not use the armorclass changing runeword. That + Euphoria should give me the ability to beast out signs pretty regularly as well. Maybe I'll try that, and the bomb bonus will just be sugar on top?

I went a different tack and ran full Ursine armor and went in for Archgriffin+Water Hag+ Ekhidna decoctions, then topped off toxicity with Tawny Owl for never ending Stamina, Thunderbolt and then used Quen for a damage gate to stay at 100% health. Ursine's buff's to strong attack, plus Water Hag for +50% dmg, plus Archgriffin bonus and draining stamina on attack to heal with Ekhidna, combined with Euphoria meant that my strong attacks one-shotted every normal enemy, killed most bosses too fast. I actually ended up unoptimizing my build because things were getting too easy.

• Options
    Oh snap. Maybe I'll give Heavy another go. I got pretty frustrated with it in the base game because I was doing a lot of trading, and getting beat out by wraiths.

I don't think anything will compare to Whirl + Blizzard for enemy heavy groups. I accidentally ran into one of the bandit mega-camps and blender'd through at least 30 guys in the span of 1 blizzard

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Going back and playing through this. I got so close to beating it and then got burnt and the time that elapsed between then and now was just enough for me to not remember anything.

Plus I have DLC now.

Jesus... there's just so much game.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This is a pretty good fan-made short that came out recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMWV3p9YxN4

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Saw this thread popup on the front page, felt the need to drop in and remind everyone just how fucking good this game is. I don't normally replay a lot of games, but this will be on the list along with the Mass Effect series and the various Souls and Souls-like games which I replay the crap out of. It's that good.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Almost at 100 hours, through the base game and now into Blood n Wine. Such an amazing game.

Went with Griffin armor for base, but switched to Grandmaster Wolven in expansion, dyeing everything gray but the pants which I dyed blue.

I tend to lean more towards looks in these games than stat bonuses, also just seemed right that Geralt wear his school's colors.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I kinda got shanghai'd into Blood & Wine and gained 10 levels just doing the main quest line (and Gwent, of course).

The vampire armor plus professor glasses is my thing, man. I was just mad that the dyes only work on witcher gear, so I couldn't dye it red and pull a Gary Oldman from Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Saw this thread popup on the front page, felt the need to drop in and remind everyone just how fucking good this game is. I don't normally replay a lot of games, but this will be on the list along with the Mass Effect series and the various Souls and Souls-like games which I replay the crap out of. It's that good.

I do that every time I see this thread back on page one. Just ridiculous how well put together the thing was.

• Options
    Just finished the main campaign (on Easy, I'm terrible at combat in this game; it's why I never finished Witcher 2).

The
    Master Mirror
    face brand re-appeared on Geralt after (act 3)
    the stable heist with Ciri
    and of course I couldn't re-create the Heart of Stone quest line, so the brand stayed put for the rest of the game, and now after, since I'm working on mopping up Toussant.

Gotta say, though, My Geralt is Best Dad. Feels good to be such a good dad. Even made a couple of dad jokes.

Bring on Cyberpunk 2077, I say.

• Options
    So, I just got into the closed beta for the Gwent stand-alone game. It's just as addicting as it is in the Witcher 3. Anybody else get into it yet?

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular

I feel the same way, man. Everytime I see it go to the front page again, it's like this sense of satisfaction that people are still talking about it (as they should). The damn thing should be stickied to the front page until everyone experiences this game.

There are so many more people out there that need to tell me and the one other guy who chose Triss how wrong we are! We might forget if more people don't! :smile:

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Nyht wrote: »

I feel the same way, man. Everytime I see it go to the front page again, it's like this sense of satisfaction that people are still talking about it (as they should). The damn thing should be stickied to the front page until everyone experiences this game.

There are so many more people out there that need to tell me and the one other guy who chose Triss how wrong we are! We might forget if more people don't! :smile:

You have chosen... poorly.

Better? :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

Shani best girl, the mages can die in a fire.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    a
    Quiotu wrote: »

Shani best girl, the mages can die in a fire.

Shani deserves better than what Geralt can offer, though.

The witches, on the other hand, have done more than enough stupid on their own that they deserve putting up with a little themselves.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    So, I just got into the closed beta for the Gwent stand-alone game. It's just as addicting as it is in the Witcher 3. Anybody else get into it yet?
    Tempted but holding off until I finish Witcher 3.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I don't get how anyone chooses Yen. She's like a mean ex-wife; I can rely on her when it comes to our daughter, but our relationship is just so toxic. Maybe I missed something by quitting Witcher 2 5% in, but Triss is simply a better person in W3. She doesn't destroy irreplaceable artefacts or abuse trust. Geralt seems relieved when he's with her.

Shani is amazing, for sure, but it is true that she deserves better than Geralt.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Triss and "doesn't abuse trust" don't really belong the same sentence. She took advantage of Geralt's amnesia to insert herself in the vague "loved a sorceress" hole in his head. That aside, W2/W3 she's an alright character. Totally different from the books where she was a whiny, self-pitying side character who was rarely there when they needed her.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    The entirety of Witcher 1 and 2 is basically Triss abusing your trust. And not in harmless or tangential ways either.

Yen is up front about everything compared to Triss.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Based on the books, there's at least one circumstance that would have caused Geralt to kill Triss if he had known about it at the time

She's done more to betray him than any other character in the series

Yennefer and Geralt are basically cut from the same cloth, and make each other very happy, and do not lie to each other about things that matter (and both sleep around but eh)

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Geralt died for Yen, right? They kinda have a kid together. He obviously completely adores her and longed for her even when he couldn't remember her. I just see it like they are soulmates and even if the relationship isn't perfect and they are both flawed people no matter how many other milkmaids he sleeps with or women he deeply cares about his true love will always be Yennefer.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Spoiler for the books
    Yennefer is tortured for days and weeks to get her to betray Ciri, and also maybe Geralt in the deal (but like 99% Ciri)

Never buckles, even when her hands are mangled beyond recognition

Triss gives up Ciri instantly, because she thinks that the lodge's goals are more important than Ciri's autonomy

When it comes to devotion, Yen and Geralt and Ciri are on their own tier, and nobody else comes close. You want Yennefer on your side. Triss, depending on who bribes her with what, is an active liability.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I don't get how anyone chooses Yen. She's like a mean ex-wife; I can rely on her when it comes to our daughter, but our relationship is just so toxic. Maybe I missed something by quitting Witcher 2 5% in, but Triss is simply a better person in W3. She doesn't destroy irreplaceable artefacts or abuse trust. Geralt seems relieved when he's with her.

Shani is amazing, for sure, but it is true that she deserves better than Geralt.
    I think Yen is a much stronger and interesting person in general than Triss. There are layers to her, Yen and Geralt actually challenge each other and are equals, they're made for each other. She's stubborn and indepedant but you can feel the influence Ciri and Geralt have on her. Even if she has a hard time showing it sometimes, she's passionate about her family.

Triss on the other hand is constantly fawning after Geralt and looking at him with doe eyes. She's nice but ultimately boring. To me, she's one of the least interesting kind of love interests.

Give me a bad girl over a nice quiet life with the white picket fences anyday.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    As mentioned, I didn't play Witcher 2 even long enough to get to the branching storyline, and the first game was so long ago that I barely remember what happened (I remember Shani, the Lady of the Lake, and fighting my way through a bunch of different worlds at the end... I think I killed the Pope or something). In the third game, though, Triss is selfless, she risks her life for the mages of Novograd and Velen while Yen is making backroom deals with the very guy that outlawed the Lodge in the first place and is in the process of conquering the world (and it's only mostly for Ciri).

Yen could've lifted a finger for Triss and the other mages, but she didn't. While Yen has luxurious quarters in Vizima, Triss is renting a shitty third floor apartment in a house that's tilted at a 20-degree angle, taking odd jobs for cash, dodging witch hunters, and trying to save as many alchemists and hedge wizards and wise women as possible. She could've just left... but she didn't. She's doing it the right way.

I really do appreciate the complexity of Yennifer as a character, but, it's a personal thing; I'd rather spend time with someone who may have screwed up in the past, but is trying to make things right, then with someone who actively makes life more difficult for everybody. I think where Yen lost me was (W3, Skellige)
    she steals, and promptly destroys, a priceless artifact of Skellige culture for some low-res images of Ciri running around with the masked elf, which forces Ermion to intervene to prevent catastrophic climate change. Then she siphons the holy gardens of Freya dry to power necromancy so she can torture a clue out of a guy who only tried to help Ciri. I get that they are desperate for leads and that Ciri is literally the most important person in the world, but it sure seems like Yen's defining character trait in W3 is "Will screw over anyone to further her own interests."

Honestly, when Geralt helped Yen free the genie and break the wish that bound them together, it was a huge relief to be able to say, "Nope, I ain't feeling you anymore. k thx bye."

This discussion has been closed.