Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Seattle by Night - A Vampire: The Masquerade [PbP]

1246716

Posts

  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    There's enough overlap there that I'm fine with you taking the better of the three on your sheet.

    Let's go with Difficulty 6.

    Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • shdwcastershdwcaster West Dakota?Registered User regular
    Kris Pearson

    Going with Expression then
    Geth roll 3#1d10 for Polite Conversation (Expression)

    Polite Conversation (Expression):
    3#1d10 3 # 6 [1d10=6] 5 [1d10=5] 7 [1d10=7]

    steam_sig.png
    Contributing writer at Marooner's Rock
    Twitch broadcasting! Currently playing through Star Wars: XWvT
    PAX South Checklist: [x]Tickets [x]Lodging [x]Challenge Coin [x]Airline Tickets
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Roland

    "I think you might underestimate my age, my good Sheriff," I say with a slight smile. Quickly shifting the topic away from the fact that I still hadn't managed to catch the vampire in his approach (in what, 6 months?), I continued. "That would be Catelyn Winters, no? I believe I've seen her around. Did the Tremere Embrace a child?"

    As the two are led into an adjoining room, it takes only a moment for me to realize what's going on. "Well that is certainly an interesting meeting going on. I should very much like to meet our newcomers."

    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    @Grunt's Ghosts

    You've arrived at the Space Needle, Chantelle letting you out at the sidewalk and begging you to be careful. You present the letter to the elevator operator. He informs you the invitation is strickly informal and not required, then takes you up to Elysium. (He can see you are already shaken enough, no need to give you the same routine he gave Kris.) As you enter the foyer you are genuinely surprised by the number of vampires here - you never suspected there were so many Kindred in Seattle. Where the number you've meet previously was enough to count on one hand, you're not sure how many hands you would need to count everyone here.

    "Hello," the hostess welcomes you excitedly. "Another new arrival! Well, we are just so pleased to have you joining us tonight. May I get your name and Clan, please. Also, do you need me to go over the rules regarding acceptable behavoir at Elysium?"

    What do you do?

    Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    @Delmain

    He rubs his scruffy beard and grunts. "Yeah, that's her."

    You both watch as the child and Catelyn slip back into the cocktail lounge from sight.

    "That might do. The kids gonna have to earn his stripes, like anyone else. Words come in we got hunters in the city. If you're up for it, maybe you tag along and the kid can answer your questions for you."

    If you like you can make a Wits + Empathy roll, Difficulty 8.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Roland

    Geth, roll 6d10h7

    6d10h7 2 [6d10h7=1, 9, 3, 1, 4, 8]

    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Roland

    Woops, it was supposed to be h8, but looks like I got a pair of successes anyway.

    BTW all, you can use that format (xd10hY) to say "roll X dice, count values that are over Y as success, coutning and rerolling 10s

    Delmain on
    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
    Mikey CTS
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    @shdwcaster

    "Thank you so much, Mr. Pearson. Now, the rules are no violence, no Disciplines, respect the Keeper's authority, and only approach the Prince when invited. Any disputes regarding domain or boon should be resolved by either our harpy, Lady Venessa, or the Prince himself by requested audience. Since this is your first time visiting, you will have to meet the Prince. We'll call you over the intercom when he is ready to take an audience.

    "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

    You are certain that you've given her no reason to doubt your identity. As you are finishing up, another new arrival comes from the elevator behind you - a woman who looks like a back-up bassist for Nirvana or maybe Sound Garden. Turning you attention back, you can tell that something has everyone in a buzz.

    What do you do?

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    @Delmain

    He is definitely interested in this Kindred. This isn't surprising, since he is the Sheriff and it's his job to keep abreast of this sort of thing. But you get a sense he considers this childre is anathema.

    "You find out what you can about him, report back to me."

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    @Nealneal

    Locks eyes with you and the Primogen's grin extends from ear to ear with a chuckle. "Yes, I see why you find him so promising, Catelyn. He has ambition, drive."

    "Thank you, sir," Catelyn gracefully replies, sounding quite pleased herself.

    He sits back into his booth and invites you both to join him. You climb inside as your sire takes the outside.

    "Damien, Catelyn tells me she believes you are ready to venture out on your own. To continue your studies outside her tutelage. Are you prepared to face the world outside your sire's wings?"

    What do you do?

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Roland

    I stand up straight from the lean I'd been affecting. Anything the Sheriff was interested in was something to be serious about.

    "I can do that, yeah. You got any info on that group of hunters that might get me an in with them? You know who's going to be in charge?"

    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Lizzy Hell

    Lizzy closes her eyes just for a second. Around her, the sounds of the party mix with the sounds of a full orchestra playing a score that sounds like the moments before the hero battles the villain for the first time. The heavy drums match the rhythm of the hostess's words. "It's all a gig. Find your center and dig. Live the beat, feel it in your feet. Then... explode!" The drummer thought back to her first shows what felt like ages ago. The butterflies from there were here too, but the musician knew how to get rid of them. The young vampire adjusted her denim jacket so her Black Sabbath t-shirt under it clearly showed the words "War Pigs" on it.

    Generals gathered in their masses...

    "I need not to hear your hollow laws, I know what's expected of this place.
    Keep hands to yourself, stay in line, be polite and have a smile on your face.
    But I doubt I'll cause trouble in this wolf trap for sheep, I don't plan on staying that long.
    Lizzy Hell of Malkavian Clan, forget it, for I soon shall be gone, before the band ends this song."

    Just like witches at black masses...

    Lizzy stepped forward into the crowd. She stared at the Sheriff, their eyes locking, and the music shifted. "We will meet intimately soon... before the rise of the next full moon." Lizzy thought to herself as she scanned the room for threats, movers, shakers, secrets, and lies that moved across the room.

    Evil minds that plot destruction...

    There were eyes everywhere, luckily for Lizzy, most were looking at the childe who was a child, the music shifted to a sadder song for that soul. But not enough. There were eyes looking at the rock princess who had walked into a room full of fancy dress and top hats (seriously, top hats? Was this Victorian England?)

    Sorcerers of death's construction...

    That's when a hand moved across Lizzy's shoulder. The young vampire jumped and turned to see Chantalle looking at her, with a knowing and slightly disappointing look. "Smile, but do not bare your teeth and we might make it out alive. Follow the dance. The Music. Trust it."

    So that's what? A dozen rolls? :P

    shdwcasterMikey CTS
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    @dresdenphile

    As quickly as it began, the room feels less heavy, and let your guard down to see Antoinette has returned to normal. You sigh and slump back into your chair. She very closely leans into your face, so close their almost touching, as she cups your cheek. "I enjoy our little verbal spars," she croons, "I consider them foreplay. But remember, I don't tolerate disobedience."

    Her hand moves to grip the hair on the back of your head and she kiss you forcefully, possessively. Breaking from the kiss she's left your mouth smeared with her deep red lipstick. With that she stands, wishes you best of luck, and excuses herself to go pursue whatever agenda she has in the night.

    What do you do?

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    @Grunt's Ghosts

    If I follow what going on with this mad Malk, which btw you're crushing it, it seems to me like your trying to steal the show, as it were.

    Mmmm... you know, I'm just going to ask for a Charisma/Appearance (choose the better) + Performance, Difficulty 8.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    More like trying to look more badass and tough than she really is. Social Spike Armor, honestly.

    3 successes!

    Geth roll 6#1d10

    6#1d10 6 # 7 [1d10=7] 10 [1d10=10] 7 [1d10=7] 9 [1d10=9] 5 [1d10=5] 8 [1d10=8]

    Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    Gotcha, in that case same roll or if your Subterfuge is better I'll allow it

    ... but you just got three successes so I doubt you want a reroll.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Jack DeLuca

    After she leaves and I know she's out of sight and earshot, I wipe the lipstick off as best as I can with my handkerchief. "Jesus," I mutter under my breath. "What a crazy bitch."

    I take the bottle of booze out of my drawer again, opening it and taking one last sniff for courage. I grab my hat and gun, locking the office door behind me. Opting for the stairs, I head down to my car to see that it's been moved (or, telling by the skid marks, dragged) next to the fire hydrant, and a ticket put on it. Well, I know how that happened. Fuckin' Felipe. I'm going to put a bullet in that fuckin' ghoul's brain. I don't give a shit if he is Antoinette's chew toy. That guy's a dick.

    I slide into the sedan and start it up to be assaulted by some terrible death metal shit blasting full volume out of my speakers. "Such a dick..."

    I drive down to the address Antoinette gave me, hoping I don't get my ass kicked or worse before the night is through.

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Damien Thorn

    I think for a moment and respond, "Sir, I am indebted to Catelyn. She has been a wonderful teacher. The needs of the clan demand that she move on to more important things than whelping an apprentice. I've passed all of the tests put before me. I am ready. I know that my...unique condition means that I must be extra careful to preserve the Masquerade. That said, the time has come that I move out on my own and find my own way. Else I will always be nothing but a weight dragging her down."

    I look to Catelyn. I worry that I was too forward, but I want to be the Tremere she thinks I can be. I owe her that much.

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Forgive me if I don't do the honest thing and keep my roll. That's a hard challenge and I'm lucky I got that.

  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    Nah, is fine. There's enough crossover there I can see it go either way.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    @dresdenphile

    "You got to be shitting me..." you say as you close the car door.

    Looking up at the lights of the Space Needle, you can't believe anyone would pick a public landmark for clandestine meetings. It has to be the dumbest idea in the history of conspiracy theories. Whoever this new Prince is must be a real jack-ass. You approach the elevator and are welcomed in by the ghoul attendent. The operator lets you out at foyer, where you are approaced by a real corporate-style greeter.

    "Hello!" she says with way more enthusiasm than should be possible, "welcome to Elysium. I don't think we've seen you here before. Can I please take your name and Clan for our records? Also, if you have any questions regarding the rules or are just new to the city, I'll be happy to answer all your questions."

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • shdwcastershdwcaster West Dakota?Registered User regular
    Kris Pearson
    I walk away from the greeter, guessing that now I just sort of wait for my turn to come around. The phrase “Be a good puppy” comes to mind.

    It’s really hard to tell what’s got the room buzzing. Despite being in the Northwest for almost five years now, I’ve largely kept to myself on the other side of the lake. I’ve never seen this many of my kind in one location, and to top it off, I’m pretty distracted by the building itself. The Space Needle is fascinating, a ‘60s architectural wonder that with echoes of some of the best Art Deco moments of the ‘30s and ‘40s, plus the futurism design esthetic of the ‘50s.

    I love it.

    The restaurant is slowly rotating past a nighttime view of the bay as I vaguely hear the musician introduce herself and her clan. I’m still considering the architectural grandeur of this place – Those Monorail designs! – but something about the musician’s look is pulling me towards her. Must have been a side effect of my sire showing up in a more understated version of the same style, because I’ve definitely never had a “staring at the sunrise” moment with any musical piece. That’s what I tell myself, anyway.

    I was never much good at small talk during my human days. My unlife hadn’t given me a lot of opportunity to practice either, but at least thanks to Anne Rice and alt.rec.vampires.bite.me, I’ve never had too much trouble meeting “people”

    Unfortunately, this also meant that the best opening line I could come up with for meeting a prickly Malkavian musician was “So… Pearl Jam or Nirvana?”

    steam_sig.png
    Contributing writer at Marooner's Rock
    Twitch broadcasting! Currently playing through Star Wars: XWvT
    PAX South Checklist: [x]Tickets [x]Lodging [x]Challenge Coin [x]Airline Tickets
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Jack DeLuca

    I put on my "work" smile and take off my hat. "Yes, ma'am. Jack DeLuca, Followers of Set. I grew up here, so that part's not necessary, but anything you can tell me to avoid stepping on toes tonight, literally or otherwise, I would be most appreciative."

    steam_sig.png
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Jack DeLuca

    If a Kindred could have the color drain from her face, you suspect the look you're receiving from this hostess would what that appears like. "Uh one moment please," she excuses, "Please wait here."

    She quickly scampers off somewhere, as you watch a spectacle being made by someone who clearly must be one of those nutcase Malkavians you've heard so much about. A moment later she's returned, accompanied by a clean-cut hispanic man with a jawline so strong you could cut a roast on it and the shoulders of two linebackers. You can feel his gaze buring as he sizes you up.

    "Alex Vallejo," he states with authority. "I am the Keeper of Elysium. That means it's my job to keep out the gallito. Troublemakers. The Prince, in his wisdom, has seen fit to allow all into Elysium. That makes my job difficult. Make sure you don't make it any harder, Setite. Lo tengo?"

    Damien Thorn

    Your sire never takes her gaze away from the Primogen, who strokes his beard and eyes you wearily.

    "I can sense your trepidation, Damien," Robert muses. "That's normal, I suppose. You were are still young, even by mortal standards. But leaving your sire does not leave you a babe in the woods. You'll still be under the protection of the clan, and you'll still have your ghoul. I am allowing your entry to the Chantry, though on a trial basis."

    Roland Wood

    "Nah. Word is they setup camp somewhere in Redmond, took out a couple thin-bloods. That's still largely Anarch territory, so that might be a place to start."

    @Nealneal @Delmain @dresdenphile What do you do?

    I've nearly got everyone's stories inline. From now on I'll be posting for seperate scenes like this, with the names of the characters involved in that scene listed above the section dedicated to them.

    Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular

    Minion roll 6#1d10h7 for Sheriff's Perception + Empathy

    Sheriff's Perception + Empathy:
    6#1d10h7 6 # 1 [1d10h7=8] 1 [1d10h7=7] 0 [1d10h7=4] 0 [1d10h7=3] 1 [1d10h7=8] 0 [1d10h7=3]

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Jack DeLuca

    I deal with big macho guys in my line of work all the time, so I'm not terribly impressed with this guy's front.

    "I'm rusty on my Spanish, Alex, but believe me when I say that I want to be here even less than you want me here. I'm here because my sire asked me to represent the Clan this evening; I'm sure you know what it's like to have a demanding boss," I offer. "You won't hear a peep out of me."

    "Now," I addressing both of them, "is there anything else I need to do or anyone else I need to speak to before I have to come up with a half a dozen vampire-themed icebreakers with these other guests?"

    @Mikey CTS Do I need to roll anything to let Broseph know I"m a chill bro, and that bosses are, like, the worst? (Charisma + Empathy, maybe?)

    steam_sig.png
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    @dresdenphile


    Hmm interesting... Trying to put out good vibes, or at least I'm not trying to start shit vibes.

    You know I was going to say Subterfuge or Expression, but it has Gaining Trust listed as a specialty for Empathy so yeah make a Charisma + Empathy roll. They're going to let you in no matter what, the point of the roll is to earn the trust of the Keeper and get him off your back. You want to get the eyes off you. Mmm your clan affiliation makes that a bit tough. Let's go with DC 8.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Damien Thorn

    I look back to the Primogen and speaking clearly, with no fear say, "I'm afraid you mistake my nervousness at disappointing my sire with fear for my future. Being embraced as a child and effectively raised by Catelyn the last five years has caused me to have a stronger instinctual bond to her. Probably stronger than is wise, but we make due with the hand we're dealt. Except when we are able use our will to change the cards."

    I look back to Catelyn and then again to the Primogen, "Which is why it is even more important for me to move out on my own. It is time for me to change the hand. Thank you for the opportunity to join the Chantry. I will strive to become a valuable member of the clan in your domain."

  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Minion roll 4#1d10h8 for Charisma+Empathy

    That is far better than I was expecting.

    Charisma+Empathy:
    4#1d10h8 4 # 0 [1d10h8=1] 0 [1d10h8=5] 1 [1d10h8=8] 1 [1d10h8=8]

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    @Nealneal I'm gonna need either a Charisma or Manipulation + Expression roll DC 6, please.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Damien Thorn

    Geth roll 4#1d10h6 for Manipulation+Expression
    Three successes.

    Manipulation+Expression:
    4#1d10h6 4 # 1 [1d10h6=8] 1 [1d10h6=8] 1 [1d10h6=6] 0 [1d10h6=4]

    Nealneal on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    If you stop doing X#1d10hY and instead do Xd10h7, you'll get an actual count of successes instead of a series of 0s and 1s

    also, three successes on four dice with a difficulty of 8 is legit stupid lucky

    Roland

    Affecting a disinterested shrug, I attempt to reassure the Sheriff. "Ah, going after Thin Bloods. It's like their solving a problem for us."

    "Now," I continue, before the Donald has an opportunity to chastise me for taking the threat lightly, "I know the threat a group of hunters poses. I don't actually plan on taking it lightly. I don't have much of a crew in town and if you're not opposed I think I might ask along some of the better looking newcomers."

    I want to see if I can figure out what's going on with that kid, plus that new Malk looks downright interesting. I have to talk to her.

    Wait, and what's that going on by the entrance? Another new guy?

    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
    Nealneal
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    I know, right? Geth is being crazy generous so far.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
    Nealnealshdwcaster
  • shdwcastershdwcaster West Dakota?Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    I know, right? Geth is being crazy generous so far.

    Just wait. If the last game I was in is any indication, that's just Geth setting you up for a bigger disaster down the line.

    steam_sig.png
    Contributing writer at Marooner's Rock
    Twitch broadcasting! Currently playing through Star Wars: XWvT
    PAX South Checklist: [x]Tickets [x]Lodging [x]Challenge Coin [x]Airline Tickets
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    I know, right? Geth is being crazy generous so far.

    Just wait. If the last game I was in is any indication, that's just Geth setting you up for a bigger disaster down the line.

    Good... that's what Vampire is. I can't wait for the all 1's roll to hit.
    "Well... I guess you're just dead."

    "But I was just making a first impressions roll!?"

    "I know! Crazy right? I guess they really, really didn't like your face."

    Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
    Nealnealshdwcaster
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Can't post today. Running a 103F fever and I'm stuck in bed.

  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    It's cool, GG. Feel better.

    So everyone is aware, I don't post much on the weekend so there won't be much activity on weekends.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Lizzy Hell

    “So… Pearl Jam or Nirvana?”

    The question when completely against the rhythm, which upset Lizzy more than the question really should. The Malkavian turned to the... nerdy vampire, and revealed her Black Sabbath shirt. "I only write grunge music because it pays, can't stand to hear Colbain's crying all days. And if one can understand that mumbling of Vedder, then I would assume they are exceptionable. But I find their views beyond the music destructible. That band will somehow make it, but their music will always be shit. Music needs fire, passion, and a soul. Grunge is lazy, depressing, and dull." Lizzy turned away to look at the Sheriff's new companion. The same music as the Sheriff's filled her head, another dangerous one who Lizzy was going to watch out for. Death, more so on these two than the others in the room, followed them.

  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS The Fool Registered User regular
    Lizzy Hell

    When you turn back to the Sheriff, you are taken aback to find his eyes already waiting for yours. He has taken your measure and, you suspect, found you wanting by the smirk on his face.

    Rowland

    Donald locks eyes with one of those newcomers, the woman in a Black Sabbath t-shirt, and you see a smirk crawl over his face.

    "Tell you what," he says, "you take that Malkavian there with you, too. Maybe she'll learn a lesson."

    "How are you so sure she's a Malk?," you respond.

    "Please," he grunts while walking away. "It's all in the eyes.

    "They'll need to meet the Prince first. Arrangements to send them on the hunt with you will happen then."

    Damien

    "Very good, then," the Primogen responds. "Catelyn, you will remain in Seattle for the next week. Once we are certain that Damien has settled in, you'll be returning to your fatherland, Germany. Your mortal alma mater."

    "It has been a long time since I've been home," she replies graciously. "I welcome the assignment."

    "With our house in order," Robert excuses himself, "please excuse me while I go put this house in order. You'll be called before the Prince shortly, Damien. It's a formality, but I suspect they'll require you complete a task for the Camarilla. They're all about testing loyalties now that we control the city."

    He stands then and leaves the lounge, leaving you with your sire.

    Jack

    Alex adjusts his clearly stuck-in-the-eighties Miami Vice-style jacket. "Fine. Just remember... no violence, no Discipline, you do as I say, and you only approach the Prince when called. Got it?"

    "Sure, sure," you reply, letting the alpha male feel like he got his way.

    "Alright, then. You go on it and don't start shit. The Prince will want to see you."

    What do you all do?

    @shdwcaster I'm waiting to see how you respond to Lizzy.

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Damien Thorn

    I look at Catelyn, trying to read her mood. I'm not great at that with her, but sometimes I get a sense of what she's thinking.

    "Shall we head out and mingle a little? I should get to know some of the other kindred in the city. I want to try and get an idea of who might be reliable in case I need outside help and who to keep eyes on above all else."

Sign In or Register to comment.