As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    5.1 is way better than any of the 5.0.x builds though. 5.1.1 mostly finally feels like 5.0 should have been =/

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Wife just upgraded to 5.1 last night on her 2nd gen Moto X, we'll see how it goes. Still waiting on it for 1st gen over here...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    My 2nd gen got 5.1 last night, so far so good? I honestly don't remember what the differences between 5.0 and 5.1 are, even though my nexus 10 has been on whatever the latest build is for awhile now.

• Options
    5.0 to 5.1 included a bunch of stability stuff, iirc the biggest user facing features was improvments to the volume controls and interruptions UI, as well as better wifi and bluetooth quick access menus, allowing you to connect to networks/devices within them, instead of going all the way into settings.

There were also a ton of really little UI changes, but you're not likely to notice most of those unless you have a 5.0 and 5.1 device beside eachother.

IMO the biggest improvement was fixing (most) of the memory leak issues and responsiveness. I'd hit the multitasking button on 5.0 and sometimes it would take 4-5 seconds before it would come up, in 5.1 it's always instant.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea i have 5.1on my moto x and honestly, the only thing i know that is different is the new gesture for the flashlight and that was because it popped up for me

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    And the new gesture for the flashlight is AWESOME.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    And the new gesture for the flashlight is AWESOME.

and a moto feature, not stock 5.1 even ;)

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    For whatever it's worth, I did a stock reset on my N5 for 5.1, but not for 5.1.1. It's possible that apps have enough of their bugs worked out now that you won't need to reset for 5.1.

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Android M Developer preview TWO is now out for Nexus devices... both as an Image and an OTA update in case you were already running the original preview.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/09/download-android-m-preview-2-ota-updates/

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/09/android-m-developer-preview-2-now-available/

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm just about at the point where I'm going to give up hope for ever seeing 5.1.1 on my 2013 Moto X. I figure by the time it does come out my phone on Verizon I'll have already moved on to the 2015 generation of the device.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the YouTube app still really crappy in general and specifically with chromecast.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It's not just you.

• Options
    If anyone is going it I/O could you ask Google why the YouTube app sucks so bad.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Does anyone else here use Google Play Music?

It's gone bonkers for me lately, and just yesterday stopped working in my browser (Safari) all together. I'm sure it works on Chrome (lots of people reporting it's broken in Safari, Firefox, etc. but works in Chrome) but I don't want to use Mac Chrome. The bonkers behavior is that when I create a radio station, say for Arcade Fire, instead of playing 1 AF song and then throwing in a bunch of similar artists, it queues up like 20 AF songs in a row before getting to different artists. Not exactly what I wanted.

I don't know what Google is doing on the back end, but I feel like they couldn't have picked a worse time to break things with Apple Music's debut. The sad thing is I loathe iTunes and have always been all in on Android, but broken Play Music is a big deal. :/ It's probably my most used app.

Jibba on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the YouTube app still really crappy in general and specifically with chromecast.

It's been ridiculously buggy for me lately.

• Options
    Anyone know of an audio book app that will work with mp3s from ripped audio book CDs? My car doesn't have a working cd player anymore.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Have you tried Smart Audiobook Player?

• Options
    I'll give it a spin.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    Anyone on Project Fi? I got my invite and I'm itching to dump Verizon but I'm hesitant to jump ship because of the upfront costs.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I use (and love) Smart Audiobook Player

The two times I've had issues with it, I emailed the developer and fixes were published to the Play Store in a day or two.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    I use (and love) Smart Audiobook Player

The two times I've had issues with it, I emailed the developer and fixes were published to the Play Store in a day or two.
    Yeah my experiences with it have been very good thus far.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Edit: a day later I realize this ideas not the beer thread...

Anywho, the Smart Audio Book is working out pretty well so far. Enjoying Dune.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    There's an update available for the Verizon Note 4!

Aaaaand it's not 5.1.1 or 5.1...

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Yeah, my LG G3 updated, took a while, and went from 5.0.1 to... 5.0.1 still. It looks like an update on AT&T's side, or a kernal version or something.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Yeah, my LG G3 updated, took a while, and went from 5.0.1 to... 5.0.1 still. It looks like an update on AT&T's side, or a kernal version or something.

Yeah, I think the Verizon update was just bloatware and now Enterprise users can unlock stuff via thumb scan

• Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    My LG Nexus 5 battery life is getting worse and worse - I now need to charge by about 4pm. Might be time to do a factory reset and see if that helps but meh. I'm open to buying a new one but there hasn't been anything for ages that has really grabbed my attention. I've seen some rumours that there will be a new Nexus device perhaps this Autumn, guess I will try to hang on until then.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You could try sending it to a 3rd Party to replace the battery, or get a kit and do it yourself. I would probably do either a Nexus 6 or a MotoX, at this point. I'm still waiting to see what the next round of Nexus phones will be. I love the crap out of my N5, but I'm also starting to see the battery slowly deteriorate.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    You know how a lot of people have been complaining about how the 5.x update seriously screwed up their Samsung GS5s? I ran into the same problem the other day. I upgraded to 5.0 then to 5.1 and it got so incredibly bogged down, not to mention how terribly the battery was being drained. I decided to wipe the phone and hope I could downgrade, but that process was a pain in the ass and decided to do it another time, but only after a wipe since I have everything backed up anyways.

Odd part was that once I set everything up on the phone after the wipe, the phone has been working absolutely perfectly since. The battery drains at a normal rate and nothing hangs or slows down like it did before the wipe. The phone is only about a week old, so it's not like I had a ton of crap on there.

I don't have any way to test this out, but has anyone else run into this before? It's crazy to think that you need to wipe a device after an upgrade, but after how much I've read about this being a problem on some of the Samsung phones, it would totally be worth it to wipe and restore if this is indeed a workaround for the issues.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    I had battery issues after upgrading to 5.1 on my 2014 Moto X. It would drain completely after six or so hours, even without moderate usage. I started troubleshooting and someone on a forum mentioned wiping the cache partition after upgrading. I tried it and it worked. Battery life is back to what it was on 5.0.

Might not work for everyone, but worth a try. It doesn't erase any of your data.

• Options
    i think i need to do this as my battery has been shitty since the update

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    The battery thing has never bothered me terribly because I always get the extended battery packs by Hyperion. In addition to almost 3 times the battery life, I actually really enjoy the extra weight it adds to the phone. Light phones have a tendency to fly out of my hands way too easily.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    fortis wrote: »
    I had battery issues after upgrading to 5.1 on my 2014 Moto X. It would drain completely after six or so hours, even without moderate usage. I started troubleshooting and someone on a forum mentioned wiping the cache partition after upgrading. I tried it and it worked. Battery life is back to what it was on 5.0.

Might not work for everyone, but worth a try. It doesn't erase any of your data.

I've given this a go and will see if it helps. I suspect the phone is just quite old now. Cheers!

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Got 5.1 on my original Moto X yesterday. Working great!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I seem to be having trouble with my nexus 6 and a few games. Sometimes xcom takes a couple tries to start. Or this war of mine keeps repeating the splash screens. And the humble version of hellraid closes after the splash screen. Any ideas how I can fix or diagnose these? I've never gotten twom or hellraid to work but I'm pretty sure xcom used to work better

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    long shot but maybe if you clear your cache it might work better.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    long shot but maybe if you clear your cache it might work better.

Don't know why I didn't try that before but unfortunately no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    i think i need to do this as my battery has been shitty since the update

and it seems to have worked for me. hurray.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    So I'm eagerly awaiting more news about the new Nexus 5. Are there typical times or events coming up that Google would provide more details on the phone?

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    So I'm eagerly awaiting more news about the new Nexus 5. Are there typical times or events coming up that Google would provide more details on the phone?

The nexus launches for the last 3 years have been in late October. I don't see that changing.

Also, while it's *rumoured* there will be a new Nexus 5 at a similar price point to the old one, that has not been confirmed yet. That isn't to say it won't happen, but there's nothing concrete.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm really excited for the Motorola announcement tomorrow. Here's hoping they reveal the new Moto X because I am very ready to replace my Moto X 2013.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.