As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm really excited for the Motorola announcement tomorrow. Here's hoping they reveal the new Moto X because I am very ready to replace my Moto X 2013.

I'd actually love to replace my N5 with a Moto X. I hope they bring wireless charging to it.

there's also the canadian crap from moto. They don't do motomaker here, which is stupid, and the 2013 X was exclusive to one carrier, and the 2014 model was exclusive to another.

A motomaker x with sireless charging that I can actually buy in Canada will proabably get my moneys.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm really excited for the Motorola announcement tomorrow. Here's hoping they reveal the new Moto X because I am very ready to replace my Moto X 2013.
    Same boat. Between the lack up updates and the battery life dwindling, my Moto X gen 1 is really showing it's age.
    There's been a few alleged Moto X Gen 3 leaks, so hopeful that hits soon and it's too huge. My small hands like the Gen 1 size.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Same boat. Between the lack up updates and the battery life dwindling, my Moto X gen 1 is really showing it's age.
    There's been a few alleged Moto X Gen 3 leaks, so hopeful that hits soon and it's too huge. My small hands like the Gen 1 size.

There's a very confirmed rumour that there may be two sizes of the X this year, a bigger 5.5" one and maybe a 5.2ish one close to last year's size, which might be why the invitaiton for the event was labelled XGX.

we'll see. I also don't want a 5.5" phone. my N5 is big enough, I don't want to go much bigger than 5.1 or so.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I love my N5, but the WiFi/Bluetooth stopped working. Unresponsive. At first it was fine... I just went with unlimited data on T-Mobile. That's a lot of money though so I tried some solutions. Safe mode didn't help. Airplane mode toggle was no good. So I went for a factory reset and things just got worse.

My phone is a hot potato! The battery reaches +45°C most of the time... Sometimes reaching 50°C. Horrible battery drain too. Charging times aren't good anymore and leaving my phone to charge just makes the batt temp worse. What sucks was that I thought that I would never need the extended warranty. My mistake.

So I've been looking on getting a new phone. Something not too terribly different from my N5 in terms of size, interface/skin, bloatware. The Z3 looks cool. Heard good things about it. Also the MotoX, but I don't think T-Mobile offers any installment plans on that phone.

Any thoughts on my situation are greatly appreciated :biggrin:

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    What about a used N5?

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    wunderbar wrote: »

There's a very confirmed rumour that there may be two sizes of the X this year, a bigger 5.5" one and maybe a 5.2ish one close to last year's size, which might be why the invitaiton for the event was labelled XGX.

we'll see. I also don't want a 5.5" phone. my N5 is big enough, I don't want to go much bigger than 5.1 or so.

5.2" is as big as I can comfortably fit in my pocket. Any larger than that and it's going to be sticking up outside and be rather uncomfortable. That said, if they can fit a 5.5" screen in the same physical dimensions as a 5.2" phone that's great.

I really hope there's a fingerprint sensor, and one that works as well or nearly as well as the Apple or Samsung one. That feature alone has made me consider switching back to an iPhone.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    so, there actually still isn't a great replacement to the N5, and T-mobile doesn't have one. the GS6 is a great phone, but not sure how you feel about samsung's touchwiz (it's way better than before, and you can put the google now launcher on for a more stock feel).

But there's really not much right now on the tmobile website that's close to stock and close to 5"

If you look at unlocked phones you can get something like the already mentioned Zenphone 2, but that is 5.5", maybe bigger than you'd like. The oneplus 2 will be announced today, again though that's a 5.5" phone.

the new moto g is coming out tomorrow along with the X's, and it's probably going to be a 5" screen, likely 720p, which is fine. it may even come in 16GB. of storage, so that might be something that's a winner, as it'll probably be cheap-ish unlocked.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience with the Asus Zenwatch? I was thinking of grabbing a Fitbit, but might grab an Android watch instead.

I know the Moto 360 was getting a lot of love a little bit ago but I'm not sure I dig it.

emp123 wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with the Asus Zenwatch? I was thinking of grabbing a Fitbit, but might grab an Android watch instead.

I know the Moto 360 was getting a lot of love a little bit ago but I'm not sure I dig it.

a fitbit and an android wear watch are two very different things. a fitbit is designed to do one thing, and then gets 7-10 days or so of battery life to go along with that.

An android wear watch tracks your steps, and then pushes notificatoins to your wrist, along with a few other not-yet-proven-to-be-super-useful things, and has to be charged every night.

I have a moto 360 and am reasonably happy with it, but if you're looking for something to just be a fitness tracker, look elsewhere than Android wear.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

a fitbit and an android wear watch are two very different things. a fitbit is designed to do one thing, and then gets 7-10 days or so of battery life to go along with that.

An android wear watch tracks your steps, and then pushes notificatoins to your wrist, along with a few other not-yet-proven-to-be-super-useful things, and has to be charged every night.

I have a moto 360 and am reasonably happy with it, but if you're looking for something to just be a fitness tracker, look elsewhere than Android wear.

Oh yeah, I know they're not really the same, but if an Android watch is going to do all the things a Fitbit does and then some, kinda seems like I should be looking for the watch.

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Hmmm... seems like there is gonna be a couple new phones coming out. Maybe I can wait a bit longer and keep my N5 in the mean time.

Not going to lie, I'm not super happy with the moto announcements. Everyone kind of thought if there were two models of Moto X they would be maybe a 5.5" phone and then a 5.1" phone, but nope. Moto X Play is a 5.5" display, the Moto X Style is a 5.7" display. You want a 5" display, have to step down to the updated Moto G.....

There is a ton of irony in the fact that the only android OEM this year who doesn't seem to only be making giant phones is Samsung.......

And, as things are developing, the Moto X Play, the 5.5" model with the bigger battery that is probably the better phone of the 3.......is not actually coming to North America. Because um....sure?

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Yeah I think megaphones... er, wait, megaphones are already a thing... I think mega-phones absolutely have a niche but I don't think every high-spec phone needs to be one.

Edit: Although I guess people are saying because of thin bezels the Moto X Style is actually about the same size as a Galaxy S6 with a bigger screen-to-device ratio?

Gaslight on
    edited July 2015
    yea they stuck a slide in showing the X Style was a bit taller than the GS6 with ti's 5.2 in screen, but a smidge shorter than the iPhone 6 Plus with it's 5.5" screen.

That's not saying much, since the 6 plus is giant thanks to the hilarious bezels on it.

However they may just sell a bunch of those phones at $400 unlocked. That price point was kind of a "drop the mic" moment.

I'm still annoyed the X Play isn't coming to North America though. While I'd prefer a 5" screen on it, it's probably the "winner" of the 3 in regards to what it'll end up being.

But alas, for those of us on this continent our Moto choices will be a 5" midrange phone, or a 5.7" monster. Nothing inbetween, which is...unfortunate.

EDIT: found the picture referenced

DSC_0737.0.jpg

wunderbar on
    I guess people have to stake their hopes on a Nexus 5 refresh?

I don't foresee a reason to replace my 2014 Moto X in the next year myself.

The OnePlus 2 is actually super interesting to me, I could *maybe* stretch myself up to a 5.5" screen, but I'm going to wait to see what the 2015 Nexus lineup is I think.

If the oneplus had wireless charging I'd probably just pull the trigger on it ASAP, since my N5 is kind of on its last legs.

So are they actually going to sell the OnePlus 2 (hereafter known as the Three) to anybody who wants one like a real company? Or are they going to keep masking their lack of resources and creating the illusion of exclusivity with the farcical "invite" system?

Engadget is now saying that the Moto X Play is coming to Canada, but not the US. That's....strange.

Gaslight wrote: »
    So are they actually going to sell the OnePlus 2 (hereafter known as the Three) to anybody who wants one like a real company? Or are they going to keep masking their lack of resources and creating the illusion of exclusivity with the farcical "invite" system?

They're still going the invite system, but they allege that they will have significantly more devices to sell more quickly with this launch. and that kind of makes sense. They now have all of the production capacity from teh last year + of making the one, and have probably been ramping it up as their finances allow.

Well that's hugely disappointing. I had really hoped Motorola wasn't going to follow the trend of giant phones, but a 5.7" phone is just way too big for me. Add me to the list of waiting to see what the next Nexus device will be, and if that's also a phablet size phone I'll have to make the choice between an S6 or an iPhone 6S.

I guess there are more fat people with fat hands and fat wallets in NA than we originally thought...?

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I like how you move to fat immediately.

No, my hands aren't fat. They're large. Because I'm tall.

I am contractually obligated by Reddit to keep the fat quota up after their subreddit takedowns. :)

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    How do people even carry around these giant phones? My 2013 Moto X is big enough as it is.

steam_sig.png
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    How do people even carry around these giant phones? My 2013 Moto X is big enough as it is.

In pockets? I mean, my pockets are more than 4.7"

tsmvengy wrote: »

In pockets? I mean, my pockets are more than 4.7"

Yeah, my Nexus 6 fits in my pockets fine.

I have about an inch of space in my pockets above the top of my 2013. All of these 5.5" and 5.7" will be sticking out the top of my pocket meaning they barely fit in and wont be comfortable to have in my pocket when I'm sitting down. After having a phone stolen off of my desk at work while I briefly away from my desk my phone will always be in my pocket when I'm at work. That is non-negotiable. Even if I could afford a smart watch I want my phone in my pocket or in my hands at all times.

Maybe you should find a new job if you work somewhere where phone theft is a thing that happens.

It's not a problem of it simply fitting in my pocket at all (fits pretty easily in most pants) but having it in my pocket while riding a bike, etc. and not feeling like it's going to come flying out. Or being able to hold the phone in one hand and flip through a grocery list or whatever while I'm doing something else. When I pick up these bigger phones in the stores it seems like it would be tough to use it one-handed. Not like I wear kids size small gloves.

steam_sig.png
    also, wear pants with real pockets.

And I say that as a guy with no desire to buy a phone bigger than 5.2" But the size of my pockets is not on the list of reasons why.

edited July 2015
    It was more than just phone theft, but yeah I'd love to be somewhere else. That's something for the job thread though, and for me to finally get motivated enough to actively look for something better (the hardest part of the whole thing to be honest).

I think if I could physically hold and try using one of these big phones I might change. However, based on the given dimensions, the size of my pockets, and comparing/holding/pocketing phones I can physically hold (my 2013, a S6 Edge, and a iPhone 6), a phone that's taller than 145mm is too big for me. Something like a LG G4 that has a 5.5" screen and 148mm tall is an interesting proposition though.

Cormac on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Not going to lie, I'm not super happy with the moto announcements. Everyone kind of thought if there were two models of Moto X they would be maybe a 5.5" phone and then a 5.1" phone, but nope. Moto X Play is a 5.5" display, the Moto X Style is a 5.7" display. You want a 5" display, have to step down to the updated Moto G.....

There is a ton of irony in the fact that the only android OEM this year who doesn't seem to only be making giant phones is Samsung.......

Ironically Samsung just announced an unpacking event for a new Galaxy phone thats supposed to be the S6 Edge plus with a 5.5" display.

also, wear pants with real pockets.

And I say that as a guy with no desire to buy a phone bigger than 5.2" But the size of my pockets is not on the list of reasons why.

Look, short shorts just don't have that much room for phablets.

steam_sig.png
    it's funny, we get into this phone size debate every 10 pages or so.

I'm glad there are 5.5 " and 5.7" phones for the people who want them. I just with more OEM's would make 5" devices with flagship specs for those of us who want that. They can literally satisfy both markets at the same time, most just...don't.

it's funny, we get into this phone size debate every 10 pages or so.

I'm glad there are 5.5 " and 5.7" phones for the people who want them. I just with more OEM's would make 5" devices with flagship specs for those of us who want that. They can literally satisfy both markets at the same time, most just...don't.

Why I can't praise Sony enough for the Compact range. Its literally the only brand that really pushed the idea of creating a flagship spec device on a small screen. Samsung and HTC especially decided mini versions of their phones were to have budget range specs with a premium price.

yea, except that the Z3 compact is nearing 2 years old now, with no sign of being updated....

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I really like my 1+1 but I can't get excited about the 1+2, especially given that NFC isn't included.

I guess their research shows that (most?) users aren't using NFC, but, uh, I sure do so like it. Being able to tag a sticker on a bluetooth speaker or on my car's dash and have tasker/if routines run makes me feel like I'm living in the future for sure.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    yea, except that the Z3 compact is nearing 2 years old now, with no sign of being updated....

It's update is coming. Besides selling better than its bigger brother, a number of leaked images show this. How long before it arrives in the US though is another matter.

This discussion has been closed.