As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So my phone is out for delivery today (a week early - woo!). What is the current best way to get all my stuff (saved games, music, etc) from one Android to another?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Cynically speaking, Google also has a vested interest in making it hard for you to use their device for other social media networks. Google+ may be a trashfire but they still push it hard.

This actually isn't true at all. Google+ has been unlinked from everything else, and it is no longer a required app to get Google Services on phones.

They haven't pushed google+ in about 2 years. Are they still working on it? Sure. But they don't really push it anymore.

Honestly, I think if there were an easy way to do it Google would be happy to let people link facebook contacts into the google contacts app on phone. Facebook has been the one not playing nice.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Galaxy S8
    ucp7r765dbcw.jpg

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I'm really curious what the S8 means for the Note 8 since it comes in 5.7" and 6.2" varieties. Is the new Note going to be the same phone with a pen? If so that's cool (although I think I'd like to see updated hardware since they're released like 6 months apart), but and I can't believe I'm saying this, if the Note is going to be 6.2"+ I don't know if I can handle that. And I have big hands and a big head....

• Options
    the note was becoming less about screen size and more software differentiation. the last couple years the Galaxy S line had a phone the size of the Note and it wasn't an issue.

And I'm also not talking just about the pen stuff. Generally the Note series was where samsung introduced new UI stuff, new "features" etc, that the S phones from earliler in the year didn't have, and then the new stuff that wasn't pen dependent came to the S line the next year.

No reason that can't continue.

Also as an aside, it's actually impossible to compare the screen sizes when we have different aspect ratios. Screen sizes are measured on a diagonal so when the aspect ratio changes you can't compare the numbered size at all. a 5.7" 18:9 panel is taller and narrower than a 57." 16:9 panel.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So my phone is out for delivery today (a week early - woo!). What is the current best way to get all my stuff (saved games, music, etc) from one Android to another?

Each game will be specific, so check them individually (typically you'll have some sort of login/account number if there's any sort of progress saving). If your music is backed-up to, or otherwise stored in, the cloud, you're good. If not, you'll need to download it to a desktop. Make sure your Google account is up-to-date with contacts, calendar and such.

If you use a launcher, back up the config file so you don't have to set everything up again.

I can't think of much else.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Galaxy S8
    ucp7r765dbcw.jpg

As an owner of an S6 Edge: "yuck".

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If you have any two factor authentication apps make sure to get the recovery codes or restoration things recorded/set up properly.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What is with the fetish for the weird rounded screens.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Smaller bevel.

Easier to scroll pages (acts like a scrollbar!)

Feels awesome to hold, especially the S7 Edge.

What's not to like?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Smaller bevel.

What's not to like?

Substantially easier to damage if you are a klutz (hello).

• Options

Smaller bevel.

What's not to like?

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/784565/nokia-3310-new-feature-phone-qualcomm-snapdragon-205

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Smaller bevel.

What's not to like?

I love my Pixel XL, but the Note7 felt amazing in my NBA hands.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Smaller bevel.

What's not to like?

I love my Pixel XL, but the Note7 felt amazing in my NBA hands.

was that before or after it set on fire?

• Options
    I love the pen on the note, but what I love more than the note phone is the note tablet, and I really wish they would make an updated version of the note 10.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I love the pen on the note, but what I love more than the note phone is the note tablet, and I really wish they would make an updated version of the note 10.

The Tab S3 comes with a pen.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Don't really like the always on screen buttons, but that's why they made it taller. Is the top bar also always on? Because I wonder how apps are gonna play with some seriously rounded corners.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the tips. This weekend feels like it's going to be spent cleaning up my music collection before copying it to the new phone. The G6 is wonderful, always sucks to have to put a pretty shiny new toy in a case though. The wide angle camera is crazy.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So I've had a few days of poking around the market for phones in the £150-200 range and have ended up going for a refurbished HTC m9.

In case anyone else is in the same shoes as me, the new models I had rounded down to were the: Moto G5, Huwai Honor 5X, Wiley Fox Swift 2 and the Blu Vivo 6. None of them were perfect across the range of "wants" that I had, which is what ended up putting me over to the refurbished side. Having said that they all seemed perfectly fine, so if you're more skittish than me about buying used then I reckon I would have been happy with any of them.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Looking at the new phones - very notably, the G6, since LG were really the last holdouts with the G5 - I'm a bit saddened to see that IR blasters are going the way of the dodo. I find using my phone as a universal remote exceptionally useful, and it's a bummer that any upgrade is going to be at the cost of that functionality.

Jazz on
  • Options

Smaller bevel.

What's not to like?

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/784565/nokia-3310-new-feature-phone-qualcomm-snapdragon-205

You also can't get proper tempered glass screen protectors for the curved screens.

I still wish Nokia had taken one extra step to offer a non-camera version of the 3310. They could have easily sold them for the multitude of workers who deal with non-camera/classified environments.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »

Smaller bevel.

What's not to like?

You also can't get proper tempered glass screen protectors for the curved screens.

I mean, there's plenty of them.

I haven't had much of a problem with knocking my screen with a hard rubber case that goes around the phone itself.

afhfdobuxn34.jpg

https://www.myphonecase.com/products/uag-composite-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-case-ice?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=24966839233&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXDKk167BY_SPAJ1HDhh3eAcLqrgy9b0ZoObyBPTxw0gaAn8Y8P8HAQ

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    a nu start wrote: »
    Don't really like the always on screen buttons, but that's why they made it taller. Is the top bar also always on? Because I wonder how apps are gonna play with some seriously rounded corners.

the rounded corners really aren't that big of a deal.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I still wish Nokia had taken one extra step to offer a non-camera version of the 3310. They could have easily sold them for the multitude of workers who deal with non-camera/classified environments.

A non-camera version, and 3G functionality because 2G only in 2017 isn't retro-chic, it's actively crippling the phone as those networks get shut down.

• Options
    people need to slow down with the 3310 talk. The thing a) isn't being sold in the US, and 2) actually isn't compatible with US carriers anyway. The shred of 2G that AT&T and T-Mobile still have are not in the bands the 3310 uses.

• Options
    In our latest installment of God I Wish Project Fi Worked For Me, But It Just Can't -- I just crossed 18.8MB of usage for the month. That may be near a record for me. It's been a busy month for streaming music and Twitch.

• Options
    In our latest installment of God I Wish Project Fi Worked For Me, But It Just Can't -- I just crossed 18.8MB of usage for the month. That may be near a record for me. It's been a busy month for streaming music and Twitch.

What's up with you and Fi?

• Options
    I can't do Fi up here because there's no service. Or, there is, but it's 2G for about twenty miles around my home. Our only choice is Verizon, so eh.

• Options
    Basically, the plan setup for Fi wouldn't work for my usage case because I use too much data. I'm always on the lookout, though, because we're on AT&T for the time being.

So, for example, based on the data I've used this month (our month finishes this coming Sunday), it would cost $250 for my wife and I on Fi.

• Options
    Ah okay, so 18.8GB, not MB. Yeah, that'd be a problem on Fi.

• Options
    I think fi's target audience is in the city where there's enough fi enabled wifi hotspots that you can reasonable expect the majority of your data to go through it. That and the older parents and grandparents that want smartphone level features but don't want to pay 70 a month for an lte data plan that they're only going to use a gig of.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm on a 1GB Fi plan because I'm on wifi 95% of my day. Only once did I ever come close to reaching my cap, and that was on a vacation in Arizona.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Yeah. I'm thinking of moving my mom to a fi plan. She has wifi at the house and at her work and that's the majority of the time she spends right there. She's using a pay as you go dumbphone, but she's been starting to ask questions about smartphone features like gps nav but is utterly uninterested in a traditional smartphone plan (and I don't blame her).

• Options
    So it begins.

Whats the deal with unlocked phones? I know they dont come with pre-installed software, but would Verizon OTA updates result in a locked phone? Or are you just out the ability to utilize OTA updates?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    So I'm making a few assumptions, but I'm guessing that Verizon will push this out across their network. So, essentially, any mobile device using Verizon's mobile network will probably get this pushed down to them. My guess is it will be packaged inside a "mandatory carrier update."

So in other words, even if you have an unlocked device on the network, it will still ask force you to download the package in order to keep using Verizon's network.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    stupid question but with a lot of more stock phones you can block permissions etc, could you do that with it?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    yea, I think the thing here is we literally have no idea how it will work. I'm not saying anything good or bad, but we just don't know. Don't get me wrong, this is a bad thing and should not be allowed to happen, but we just don't know the delivery mechanism, and how easy/not easy it is to remove it/stop it etc.

Until we do there isn't much point in speculating.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    After two experiments with smartwatches I can say I am going back to a regular watch.

I loved both my Moto 360 gen1 and my Pebble Time Steel but I can't keep dishing out cash for things to become obsolete. I mean I know that's how tech works but. . .

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    After two experiments with smartwatches I can say I am going back to a regular watch.

I loved both my Moto 360 gen1 and my Pebble Time Steel but I can't keep dishing out cash for things to become obsolete. I mean I know that's how tech works but. . .

I use a gear fit 2, and I think the core thing I've learned through 3 different watches (amusingly also a moto360 and a pebble time) was that at the start I expected them to do too much. The Fit 2 serves 3 purposes for me, and that's it. It's a really good fitness/workout tracker (seriously, really good. blows android wear/Google Fit out of the water), and serves as a way for me to look at notifications. That's it.

I don't think I want it to do any more than it does, because the formfactor requires too many compromises to do pretty much anything else.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

I use a gear fit 2, and I think the core thing I've learned through 3 different watches (amusingly also a moto360 and a pebble time) was that at the start I expected them to do too much. The Fit 2 serves 3 purposes for me, and that's it. It's a really good fitness/workout tracker (seriously, really good. blows android wear/Google Fit out of the water), and serves as a way for me to look at notifications. That's it.

I don't think I want it to do any more than it does, because the formfactor requires too many compromises to do pretty much anything else.

I'm at the same place as you. The Gear Fit 2 does exactly what I want it to, without looking like a hub cap on my arm.

This discussion has been closed.