As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yea, except that the Z3 compact is nearing 2 years old now, with no sign of being updated....

It's update is coming. Besides selling better than its bigger brother, a number of leaked images show this. How long before it arrives in the US though is another matter.

Z3 Compact is not even a year old. Whether or not you like the Snapdragon 801 is another question. I like it.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    You're right, my bad. for some reason I thought it was closer to 18 months old. Honestly the specs on it are mostly fine. the 801 is still very capable. my gripe, and this is just a hill I am willing to die on, is that I won't buy a device unless it has 32GB of onboard storage. It's 2015.

Regardless, it is time for an update for it. Sony has announced like, 27 models of the full size Z series phones since the Z3 compact came out.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    You are right on that one. Even though my Z Ultra has an SD slot, Lollipop seriously jacked up my ability to use it.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    a nu start wrote: »
    You are right on that one. Even though my Z Ultra has an SD slot, Lollipop seriously jacked up my ability to use it.

Android M is actually going to bring more SD functionality back, including the ability to treat it as internal storage, which is kinda nice.

I just don't like using SD cards in my phones because I don't trust them. I've worked in a place where every phone issued to employees was issued with a microSD card, and not cheap no name ones, usually (at that time) sandisk class 10's. The failure rates on the SD cards were enormous over the course of the 5 or so years I was there. We're talking in the area of 25% failure rate.

So when I get on my soap box about how 32GB should be the minimum in 2015, and that we shouldn't be ok with manufacturers who give 8 GB of storage and tell us to rely on SD card storage, that's why.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    So....for anyone who has the Shield Tablet, and I would imagine a place like PA is a large venn diagram of people who like android and games enough to have one....

nvidia just announced a recall on the shield tablet. a pretty significant one. the battery could overheat and catch fire. So anyone with a specific type of battery needs to get a replacement unit...

How you tell is by doing a softare update to firmware 3.1 that was just released, that will let you check what kind of battery you have, and if you have the affected one, you can actually iniitate the replacement process right from the device.

If you have a Shield tablet, do this now. Mine is just upadating as we speak to see if I'm affected.

Details here: http://tabletrecall.expertproductinquiry.com/registration/registration

• Options
    yep, after the update, my Shield Tablet, purchased in January 2015, is affected. the RMA process was pretty simple, you need the tablet and a PC web browser, took me about 5 minutes to do.

nvidia says they'll ship out a new one to me in 2-4 weeks. They recommend that I stop using the tablet, but eh, it hasn't caught fire yet, I'm sure it'll be oke for a couple more weeks.

ironically: this update wasn't just about the recall, it was also an update to 5.1.1, and fixed some bugs, including making USB OTG work again, as that was broken in the 5.1 update.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    "Update: @wunderbar 's tablet has burned down his house."

• Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    This was something to wake up to. I updated, checked my tablet, and started the RMA process.

<@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    yep, I did the same

my shield tablet is from a bit before last christmas, so I think it's just the first wave of batteries that are bad

• Options
    the RMA says that tablets made up until this month are affected. I'm willing to bet they discovered it recently-ish and stopped selling those, but there were still a bunch in the channel, and only really new tablets won't be affected, i.e. ones they started making after finding the flaw.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So I'm getting ready to abandon my Droid 4 as its 512 mb of ram is a bottleneck.

What is something out now or the near future that has
    • expandable storage
    • replaceable battery
    • is hardy enough to survive a 3 ft fall

• Options
    Zenfone 2?

• Options
    Battery isn't removable on those.

Look at the LG G4. if you can get past the 5.5" screen and buttons on the back it's going to be one of the very few that still has SD and a removable battery. The market is kind of speaking with both of those, and they are slowly going away, especially on high end phones. Even the Note 5 looks like it wont't have either.

Also, "surviing a 3ft fall" is quite subjective. any phone that falls on the screen will break, any phone that doesn't will probably survive. If you're that concerned I think everyone would just recommend a case.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So removable storage is on its way out?!??!?! I care about that more than battery or screen size!

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the Android standard now is no removable storage.

And yes, few new phones have removable batteries - it's gotten easier to cram batteries into small open spaces & have a more compact phone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    we might actually see the return of removable storage a bit more coming in android M with it having better support for SD storage again, however now that more phone makers are finally figuring out that 32GB should be the minimum on high end phones it's becoming less necessary there. But you're more likely to find removable storage than removable battery now. For example the new Moto X line has removable storage in it...for the first time.

I'd personally rather have 64GB of onboard rather than 16+ relying on an SD card that is more likely to fail.

As for removable battieries, it's becoming about space efficency. they'd rather make a bigger battery than have to make a rectangular battery and the proper housing it takes to make it removable.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    we might actually see the return of removable storage a bit more coming in android M with it having better support for SD storage again, however now that more phone makers are finally figuring out that 32GB should be the minimum on high end phones it's becoming less necessary there. But you're more likely to find removable storage than removable battery now. For example the new Moto X line has removable storage in it...for the first time.

I'd personally rather have 64GB of onboard rather than 16+ relying on an SD card that is more likely to fail.

As for removable battieries, it's becoming about space efficency. they'd rather make a bigger battery than have to make a rectangular battery and the proper housing it takes to make it removable.

I think the market will adopt the old approach with removable storage and restrict it to the business (pro) version of phones only and again creating a 2 tier approach to top end handsets. Its almost like Android M is designed around this idea.

• Options

I think the market will adopt the old approach with removable storage and restrict it to the business (pro) version of phones only and again creating a 2 tier approach to top end handsets. Its almost like Android M is designed around this idea.

I actually couldn't disagree with you more. The changes coming to M allow for SD card storage to act as internal storage, which seems designed for lower end phones that may only have 8GB, or *shudder* even 4GB. This allows lower end phones to have an option for having more storage than they currently have.

Meanwhile high end phones are better suited to larger amounts of much faster NAND flash like that in the Galaxy S6. NAND flash storage speed took a pretty big step forward in the last 18 months or so, and have significantly faster I/O. We haven't seen it on many phones yet but the GS6 was among the first. modern Class 10 SD cards are fast but the new flash storage is much faster. And contrary to a lot of opinions processing power is usually not a bottleneck in most tasks on an android device, at least not in the mid-high end. It's the I/O of the storage, and flagship phones where a user will then stick a $10 Class 4 SD card in and then wonder why it's slow are a big part of that problem. I don't think you'll see a lot of flaghship phones go back to SD storage once the faster flash storage becomes commonplace.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    So something rediculous that Groove Music (Xbox Music) is doing on my Galaxy S5.

It stores each song twice. Once in Music/XboxMusic as MP3s and once in Android/data/com.microsoft.xboxmusic/files/XMDC/XX/ as files without an extension with names like 00c8105f-017e-fa82-48a0-c6cbc1f98dd2 which can have an MP3 extension added and be played just fine (with all the metadata intact).

There's no way this is intentional, right?

No I don't.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The new Moto X Pure Edition that was just announced will have removable storage. Supposed to come out in September.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

I actually couldn't disagree with you more. The changes coming to M allow for SD card storage to act as internal storage, which seems designed for lower end phones that may only have 8GB, or *shudder* even 4GB. This allows lower end phones to have an option for having more storage than they currently have.

Meanwhile high end phones are better suited to larger amounts of much faster NAND flash like that in the Galaxy S6. NAND flash storage speed took a pretty big step forward in the last 18 months or so, and have significantly faster I/O. We haven't seen it on many phones yet but the GS6 was among the first. modern Class 10 SD cards are fast but the new flash storage is much faster. And contrary to a lot of opinions processing power is usually not a bottleneck in most tasks on an android device, at least not in the mid-high end. It's the I/O of the storage, and flagship phones where a user will then stick a $10 Class 4 SD card in and then wonder why it's slow are a big part of that problem. I don't think you'll see a lot of flaghship phones go back to SD storage once the faster flash storage becomes commonplace.

I understand what you are saying with NAND flash and I totally agree with it being a far better more suitable option. However, looking at the market and the demands of the consumer still want expandable memory for their devices. Given the track record of these companies with offering the consumers options under the disguise of being a further premium device, along with the still high distrust for cloud storage with the average consumer. Its all too much a common approach to create premium or pro versions of such devices with these added extras.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    HEY!
    I bought a brand spanking new Moto G 3rd gen 16gb to replace my tiny and aging iPhone 4S. It was a great cost benefit proposition, and there was no way to get a contract with it. So far, like it pretty much.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Welcome to the light side!

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The new Moto X Pure Edition that was just announced will have removable storage. Supposed to come out in September.

I've been watching that one. I'm really hoping that my provider is able to offer it on a contract.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am pretty sure that Motorola is planning on not offering it directly through any providers. The whole point of the phone is that it's good specs at $400 unlocked.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Welcome to the light side!

The gesture control things are fun. Still working on getting games and apps up to snuff.
    I have a shitty samsung 7" Galaxy Tab 2, but this is so much better.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    yea, the old samsung tabs aren't exactly the best example of Android in the world. Their current stuff is actually pretty good, but back int he tab 2 days there wasn't enough horsepower to run their touchwiz nicely.

I really should work on some kind of recommended list thingy for the OP

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Say, do alarms cancel 'Downtime' in 5.1? I have my 'Downtime' set until 8:30, but when my ~7 alarm goes off my phone suddenly has all sound turned on.

工事中
  • Options
    that really depends on what kind of phone you have. OEM's have taken the interruptions mode and each has changed it a bit.

In stock (i.e. nexus) android in 5.1 if you have your do not distrub to go to Priority mode, alarms will ring. if it goes to "none".... you know I actually don't know what the default behavior is for scheduled do not disturb. I know that if you manually put your phone into priority or none and you have an alarm coming up within 12 hours it'll offer to go back to normal at the time of your alarm.

If you set it up to go into priority mode at night, and your priority mode is properly set up, than you'll still get alarms and only contacts you choose (i.e. starred contacts) can actually get a notification through. So for me personally, mine goes into priority at night, and the only people who can actually ring the phone are people who would only call me if it's an actual emergency and I'd actually want to get that call.

• Options
    that really depends on what kind of phone you have. OEM's have taken the interruptions mode and each has changed it a bit.

In stock (i.e. nexus) android in 5.1 if you have your do not distrub to go to Priority mode, alarms will ring. if it goes to "none".... you know I actually don't know what the default behavior is for scheduled do not disturb on none mode. I've never tried it. I know that if you manually put your phone into priority or none and you have an alarm coming up within 12 hours it'll offer to go back to normal at the time of your alarm.

If you set it up to go into priority mode at night, and your priority mode is properly set up, than you'll still get alarms and only contacts you choose (i.e. starred contacts) can actually get a notification through. So for me personally, mine goes into priority at night, and the only people who can actually ring the phone are people who would only call me if it's an actual emergency and I'd actually want to get that call.

• Options

In stock (i.e. nexus) android in 5.1 if you have your do not distrub to go to Priority mode, alarms will ring. if it goes to "none".... you know I actually don't know what the default behavior is for scheduled do not disturb. I know that if you manually put your phone into priority or none and you have an alarm coming up within 12 hours it'll offer to go back to normal at the time of your alarm.

I think there used to be an issue with Priority mode not setting off alarms in 5.0, but last I heard that was fixed in 5.1.

It's just weird that my scheduled 'Silent Mode' on my Z3 is set until 8:30, but my morning alarm cancels it. If I hit Volume Down and cycle through to Silent mode again, I have the option to continue until my downtime finishes. I'll try to test with a different alarm app and see if it's isolated somehow.

工事中
  • Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »

I think there used to be an issue with Priority mode not setting off alarms in 5.0, but last I heard that was fixed in 5.1.

It's just weird that my scheduled 'Silent Mode' on my Z3 is set until 8:30, but my morning alarm cancels it. If I hit Volume Down and cycle through to Silent mode again, I have the option to continue until my downtime finishes. I'll try to test with a different alarm app and see if it's isolated somehow.

No, I can 100% confirm that alarms would still ring in priority mode in 5.0, seeing as how I did that every day from the release of 5.0 until the release of 5.1 (and still do to this day). In 5.0, and mostly still in 5.1, they will not ring in "none" mode, except in 5.1 if you manually set it to none and tell it to stay on "none" until your alarm goes off. I do not know what the behaviour is if your scheduled downtime switches the phone to none instead of priority.

• Options
    Hm... Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. When I hit the volume button on my phone, I can toggle through one of three sound settings - Sound, Vibrate, and Silent. I guess Sony must've renamed "Priority Mode" to "Silent Mode" in 5.1 then?

What happens is I have "Silent/Priority Mode" scheduled from 10PM to 8:30AM. My phone alarm goes off at 7AM, at which point "Silent/Priority Mode" is cancelled and all sounds are turned on. This is different than what happened in 5.0 and I'm not sure if it's new in Android 5.1 or something Sony did.

工事中
  • Options
    I'm going to be blind and jaded, here. What the Hell kind of people are messaging you that late at night? My phone generally goes silent from lack of notifications after about 8pm. On the two nights I play WoW late, it'll be chatty until roughly 10:30.

• Options
    Hm... Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. When I hit the volume button on my phone, I can toggle through one of three sound settings - Sound, Vibrate, and Silent. I guess Sony must've renamed "Priority Mode" to "Silent Mode" in 5.1 then?

What happens is I have "Silent/Priority Mode" scheduled from 10PM to 8:30AM. My phone alarm goes off at 7AM, at which point "Silent/Priority Mode" is cancelled and all sounds are turned on. This is different than what happened in 5.0 and I'm not sure if it's new in Android 5.1 or something Sony did.

Again, OEM's change how it works compared to stock/nexus android. I can only describe what is in that, not what is in an OEM ROM. in stock there is Norma, Priority, none. What your OEM has done is changed it.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Ooooooh

Sony Xperia Z (probably 5) and compact edition, showing fingerprint sensors

• Options
    please have 32GB storage, please have 32GB storage, please have 32GB storage, please have 32GB storage.....

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Every time I see a Sony phone I want one, but then have to remind myself they rarely come out in the US. If they do they're unlocked and only work on T-Mobile or AT&T. I think we got one or two on Verizon in the last year or two. It's a shame because the hardware and specs are usually pretty good on Sony's phones. Maybe we'll get lucky this time and the new phones will be on multiple US carriers (and subsidized because I cant afford an unlocked phone this time around).

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    That's because GSM/GPRS is the accepted standard everywhere *but* the US. It's also why I moved away from CDMA. In this day and age, it makes much more sense to use a SIM card to transfer user data (phone info) than to be forced to go into a store to get your new phone "turned on." I will never go back to Verizon or Sprint because of that.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm going to be blind and jaded, here. What the Hell kind of people are messaging you that late at night? My phone generally goes silent from lack of notifications after about 8pm. On the two nights I play WoW late, it'll be chatty until roughly 10:30.

Emails from back home in the US, a (rare) spam phone call using my Skype number, etc. This morning, I woke up and had ~15 emails waiting.

Again, OEM's change how it works compared to stock/nexus android. I can only describe what is in that, not what is in an OEM ROM. in stock there is Norma, Priority, none. What your OEM has done is changed it.

If you set your alarm before your scheduled downtime ends, does it automatically quit priority mode? That's the question I've been asking.

工事中
This discussion has been closed.