As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Traditions

davecitrondavecitron Registered User new member
Anyone have any favorite PAX Prime traditions, particularly with groups of friends?

Looking to try something new this year, and want to get a head start planning.

I'll start with my group's favorite ones:
- walk down to the crumpet shop at pike place market for breakfast before PAX opens
- run a custom d&d campaign in the common area of our hotel lobby/room
- if we can get a large enough group together, book the private room for dinner at Gordon Biersch

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Two that are kinda lame, but I'm proud of them anyway:

1. Thursday night, my son and I have supper at the Cheesecake Factory and he has the Four Cheese Pasta. There isn't a CF in Wichita (and in fact, it's kind of a local joke that we're obviously the next to get one), and we arrived late enough that we wanted to just eat and get to Pre-PAX Tabletop Night. He absolutely loved it and now it's canon.

2. On the train ride in from the airport, the light rail runs along Martin Luther King Blvd. At the first site of a street sign for it, I text my best friend Cris, "On Martin Luther King. The set looks kinda dead.". This is, of course, a lyric from " Posse on Broadway" by Seattle's own Sir Mix-A-Lot. Without fail, morning, noon, or night, he immediately texts back the next line, "We need a new street. So posse move ahead."

My son actually isn't coming with me this year, (he wants to go to East and I told him he can't miss school for two PAXen in one school year) so I may skip the first one out of respect for him.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    The one thing I do every year is look for the street banner that says "Welcome Home" and take a picture of it. I was nervous going to my first PAX solo, but I saw that the first morning and it put me at ease. By the end of the weekend, I realized how true that phrase was, and I've taken a picture of it every year since.

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My only real tradiditon was taken from me last year when they changed the time of the Make a Strip panel. I used to get up super early, grab breakfast and make sure I was in the first 10 people in line. Not anymore, though. Time to find d a new tradition.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Whenever we drive up from California my group stops at Voodoo doughnuts in Portland (was supposed to do it on the PAX train to). I also try and document some new street art in downtown Seattle.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Mine all seem to revolve around food (I swear I normally eat healthier than this haha):
    • Split at least one eclaire from Le Panier with my husband and eat it as a dessert after breakfast one morning.
    • Sushi one night but more likekly two or three nights. Fresh fish vs fish shipped across the country, whole different ball game.
    • Hit up a least one pour over coffee place and play TT game with my husband over tea and coffee.
    • Indulge in a crazy, over the top dessert from palace kitchen after dinner one night.

One thing I am going to try and do again if it's a thing is the social board game meetup each night in the TT area. I did it for the first time last year so not sure if this is an annual thing or just something from last year.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    • Sushi one night but more likekly two or three nights. Fresh fish vs fish shipped across the country, whole different ball game.
    Yes! As another midwesterner, the fish is Seattle is absolutely amazing compared to the stuff we get over here. It's a must-have every year.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Lazorz wrote: »
    Yes! As another midwesterner, the fish is Seattle is absolutely amazing compared to the stuff we get over here. It's a must-have every year.

That's not 100% accurate (maybe only 95%). We just have to deep fry the fish we get here first.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    Jigglypuff510Jigglypuff510 Registered User regular
    I am not attending Prime this year but I have plans for East next year

Pre-PAX Domino's Pizza at my home (I am a local to Massachusetts)

Set Up a Counter-Strike LAN with other PAXers first thing in the morning on Friday

so far, again its really early and we wont be really discussing it that much August/September

TbjrD9q.png
  • Options
    adele822adele822 Registered User regular
    I really only have two I can think of..
    1. Tri-wizard drinking tournament.. soon to be called something else I assume
    2. Staying in a hotel one night. I'm local so I can easily go home each night, but some friends and I like to stay downtown at least once just to feel in the middle of it all

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Double-fist Juicy all weekend.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Double-fist Juicy all weekend.

How does Juicy feel about that?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I have 2 that kinda fall for me and the wife, and they are pretty cheesy
    1) she wants one ride on the monorail. its simple and fun
    2) Dicks Burgers. *shrugs* :)

• Options
    The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    1. Looking for the cookie brigade, to donate to the cause (and get noms + yearly pin).
    2. Fruitlessly searching for Mike and Jerry (or let them find me, as Mike did one day in Pathfinderland! Well, not me, but the room itself, so...*shrugs*).
    3. Saying Hi to Reaper Brian cuz he's awesome, as well as the whole Reaper Crew!
    4. Visiting SJ Games to play with the staff! Gotta love them!
    5. Hanging out in Pathfinderland (and being careful NOT to say "All Hail Mike Brock!", which you should totally do, but only if he's a bit drunk XD ).
    6. Have a decent dinner Thursday before the con, cuz we'll be on budgeted con fare till Monday.
    7. Do a swag run 1st day (though that's become a lot less fruitful now that they want you in the Lines of DOOM to try their games first. Isn't as bad if you don't have a place to be at a certain time...or need to pee).
    8. Find the Jesus cosplayers and try to get a picture. ...What? You mean you don't do it? It's fun! Like Where's Waldo, only with more of them.

That's all the "traditions" that I can count on this year anyway. They took out the one where we get in line and enjoy hitting the beach balls and watching the silly videos on the screen. I miss those...but the Big Line is just TOO BIG now!

Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    My traditions tend to be around food, and as such I try to get to Blue C sushi once while at Prime.
    1. Yes I know it's a busy as fuck tourist trap.
    2. Yes I know it's not the best sushi you can get in downtown Seattle.
    I don't fucking care. It's still better than 90% of the sushi I can get back home, and I like the novelty of the place.

That being said, @LexiconGrrl I need to go back to the Japanese place you took us to one previous PAX. That was amazing.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    My pax version of where's Waldo is finding a cardboard tube samurai cosplayer. I always seem to see one, sometimes 2.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Thursday night, my group goes to the Crab Pot to smash shellfish with hammers.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    My PAX is not complete without spotting the Carl Brutananadilewski cosplayer. Fucking love that guy.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Yeah I talked to Carl before and during last year's Prime and he said he was going to retire, but would do one more year because the seahawks won the super bowl (I think? It was something like that, some bet). I hope that he's back this year even though the seahawks didn't repeat.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Decius wrote: »
    My traditions tend to be around food, and as such I try to get to Blue C sushi once while at Prime.
    I don't fucking care. It's still better than 90% of the sushi I can get back home, and I like the novelty of the place.

That being said, @LexiconGrrl I need to go back to the Japanese place you took us to one previous PAX. That was amazing.

I've found a better one. If you want to go, send me a PM and I'll drive. It's not downtown.

That said, you're thinking of Kushibar, where we all went before. I was kinda drunk and don't remember the conversation, but that I had a great time with everybody!!

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Mine are three fold, one of which is something I brought to PAX in the first place!

1) Play the PAX Attendee Game - This is where me and my fellow travelling companions try to spot PAX attendees at Heathrow Airport. It doesn't matter which PAX it is, as this always works from the same airport. Seeing as they are extremely rare we have to see if anyone is giving off the PAX vibe. Signs vary from playing a 3DS, wearing a pin or some other attire that's gaming related. Points vary depending on where you spot them and everyone in the group must acknowledge and agree that it's a valid spot. 10 points for the terminal, 5 points after security and 1 point at the gate. Winner gains kudos and the right to look smug while gloating throughout the long haul flight.

2) Drop off the Forum badges at the Pre-PAX Dinner and Pre-PAX Tabletop game night as well as the BYOC registration desk.

3) Eat breakfast at The Speciality as their breakfast buns they are amazing :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    ChokecherryChokecherry Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My friends and I always go to Starbucks on the first morning of Prime and order whatever the special gaming-themed frappucchino is. Sometimes it tastes terrible but that's part of the fun XD

Prime Attendee: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14 ('15)
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Eat breakfast at The Speciality as their breakfast buns there are amazing

Is that like a biscuit?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Eat breakfast at The Speciality as their breakfast buns there are amazing

Is that like a biscuit?

Going from the site, it appears to be cibatta(http://www.specialtys.com/P.aspx?p=3b25a54518267280).

• Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Me and my son always hit Cyber Dog for lunch at least once. This is something we do for whatever event we go to at the convention center. We never got there otherwise because of the location. Love that place, but ridiculously small space and can get so crowded during cons.

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Since 2007:

Kill hangovers with a few bloody marys each morning

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »
    My PAX is not complete without spotting the Carl Brutananadilewski cosplayer. Fucking love that guy.

I usually see him for the TWTD and then randomly through the weekend. He is an awesome guy for sure. So I guess the TWDT would be my tradition at PAX. Not sure what I will do this year with it being gone

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    KeibiKeibi Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »

I've found a better one. If you want to go, send me a PM and I'll drive. It's not downtown.

That said, you're thinking of Kushibar, where we all went before. I was kinda drunk and don't remember the conversation, but that I had a great time with everybody!!

Always looking for excellent sushi places. Do you have recommendations for carousel sushi places besides Blue C?

• Options
    valdor wrote: »

I usually see him for the TWTD and then randomly through the weekend. He is an awesome guy for sure. So I guess the TWDT would be my tradition at PAX. Not sure what I will do this year with it being gone
    Last I heard it was still going to happen this year, but I guess we'll have to see.

• Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    1. Meet up with new friends/ internet people I have not met before for a pre-pax dinner & drinks the night before PAX.

2. Find "The Spot" with a friend that is our go to drink place each PAX.

3. Hit up the PAX10/indie floor & Digipen booth the first day.

4. Give and receive the D...sticker on the last night of PAX.

5. Eat at Juicy Cafe for breakfast and lunch each day.

6. On the last day, take ALL the booth photos with props.

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    yoda24hoursyoda24hours Registered User regular
    Fancy Dinner night. Find a sweet semi-formal restaurant in Seattle and fancy the fuck out of that place. Dudes in suits ladies in dresses. It's almost PAX prom night. That is actually a better name than fancy dinner night. Damn it. Now I gotta make sure I go.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Solelron wrote: »

There's really nothing like a big bag of Dicks.

You're making some bold assumptions there sir.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Well I know that it is being replaced with something else, but since it will be is is still going to be the TWDT?? Or something else. Ill still go as long as it is the same group of people.

valdor on
    3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    BeighBeigh Bloomington, ILRegistered User regular
    Fancy Dinner night. Find a sweet semi-formal restaurant in Seattle and fancy the fuck out of that place. Dudes in suits ladies in dresses. It's almost PAX prom night. That is actually a better name than fancy dinner night. Damn it. Now I gotta make sure I go.

Is this a public event? I'd love to go!

CVpdlHm.png76561197996811040.png
  • Options
    namelessbanananamelessbanana Registered User regular
    I collect all of my buttons and pins on my lanyard and hang them on my wall. Sometimes I need to double up.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

Well I know that it is being replaced with something else, but since it will be is is still going to be the TWDT?? Or something else. Ill still go as long as it is the same group of people.

Okay, I want you to picture this...

Instead of going dressed like wizards, we can go looking like people from Road Warrior.

It still is a huge bar crawl with a bunch of PAXers and all donations go to charity. So it'll be fun. Still remember the year I went and tricked the Slytherins into selling me their house pin. It made sense to my drunken self but later I realized that meant I helped them beat Gryffindor.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My last PAX Prime (2013), my wife and I got in the routine of walking down to Pikes Place Market for Starbucks and Piroshki for breakfast every morning. Then we'd walk up to the convention center while eating and sipping latés. I can't wait to do it again, perfect start to each day. We even ran into Robert a couple times and did some pin trading on the street.

It's such a simple thing, but it's small luxuries like that I love and look forward to.

• Options
    Alazull wrote: »

Okay, I want you to picture this...

Instead of going dressed like wizards, we can go looking like people from Road Warrior.

It still is a huge bar crawl with a bunch of PAXers and all donations go to charity. So it'll be fun. Still remember the year I went and tricked the Slytherins into selling me their house pin. It made sense to my drunken self but later I realized that meant I helped them beat Gryffindor.

Yeah saw the new theme and am already signed up and working on my costume :biggrin:

4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    Aardvark VulgarAardvark Vulgar Registered User regular

What does TWDT stand for? I've seen it before but haven't been able to figure it out.

70xnyzr.png
  • Options
    TWDT = Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament. It ran for a full 7 Harry Potter filled years. It has now been replaced by MAD PAX: Blurry Road :)

• Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Do the breakfast buffet at the Daily Grill at least one morning.

row1.pngrow2.png