As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] we're good buddies although we sometimes have punch-ups

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I'm surprised Ant-Man would bump anything.

Isn't it the lowest performing MCU film that isn't The Hulk? Seems like they would be priortizing getting more new IPs out there instead.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Isn't it the lowest performing MCU film that isn't The Hulk? Seems like they would be priortizing getting more new IPs out there instead.

It was a hit, they probably didn't want to wait too long before the buzz died down.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

It was a hit, they probably didn't want to wait too long before the buzz died down.
    Yeah, that makes sense I guess.

I'm still butthurt though. Not Ant-Man's fault, I'm just bullying him to make myself feel better.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    It seems that Marvel has slots for movies set in stone, and the movies themselves just slot in and out as needed.
    Throughout all the movie push-backs and move-forwards the dates themselves stay the exact same.
    So, the announced the movies in 2014 went like this (I left off the first three because they were unaffected by the changes)

Thor: Ragnarok - July 28, 2017
    Black Panther - November 3, 2017
    Infinity War I- Feb 16, 2018
    Captain Marvel - May 4, 2018
    Infinity War II - July 6, 2018
    Inhumans - March 8, 2019

When they added Spider-Man it pushed everyone after it back a slot.

Spider-Man - July 28, 2017
    Thor: Ragnarok - November 3, 2017
    Black Panther - Feb 16, 2018
    Infinity War I- May 4, 2018
    Captain Marvel - July 6, 2018
    Infinity War II - March 8, 2019
    Inhumans - May 3, 2019

Now that they added Ant-Man and Wasp the dates are the same just the order of the movies have been changed again. I'd suspect that they actually have a board somewhere where those dates are written out in vinyl and the movie titles are on magnets being moved forward and back when something changes.
    Maybe it's to stop people from getting burned out at Marvel or to stop audiences from getting burned out, but they seem to be sticking to the idea that three movies in a one year period is the limit.

You have the scheduling off a bit. The pre-Spider-Man schedule was

Thor Ragnarok - July 28th, 2017
    Black Panther - November 3 2017
    Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 - May 4th, 2018
    Captain Marvel - July 6th, 2018
    Inhumans - November 2nd, 2018
    Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - May 3rd, 2019

The new Spider-Man schedule was changed like

Spider-Man - July 28th, 2017
    Thor: Ragnarok - November 3 2017
    Black Panther - July 6th, 2018
    Captain Marvel - November 2nd, 2018
    Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - May 3rd, 2019
    Inhumans - July 12th, 2019

(Source: http://marvel.com/news/movies/24065/marvel_studios_schedules_new_release_dates_for_4_films )
    Note that Avengers 3 and 4 didn't change dates from the Spider-Man addition, while Black Panther is now post Avenger 3, Captain Marvel is still in between Avengers 3 and 4 and Inhumans is now post Avengers 4.

The new schedule created new slots so they could change dates without changing the order of the films again. Black Panther even actually got push up in date to before Avengers 3 again, rather than pushed back.
    Black Panther - February 16, 2018
    Ant-Man and the Wasp July 6th, 2018
    Captain Marvel - March 8th, 2019
    Avengers Infinity War Part 2 - May 3rd, 2019
    Inhumans - July 12th, 2019

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    It seems that Marvel has slots for movies set in stone, and the movies themselves just slot in and out as needed.
    Throughout all the movie push-backs and move-forwards the dates themselves stay the exact same.
    So, the announced the movies in 2014 went like this (I left off the first three because they were unaffected by the changes)

Infinity War I- Feb 16, 2018
    Captain Marvel - May 4, 2018
    Infinity War II - July 6, 2018
    Inhumans - March 8, 2019

When they added Spider-Man it pushed everyone after it back a slot.

Spider-Man - July 28, 2017
    Thor: Ragnarok - November 3, 2017
    Black Panther - Feb 16, 2018
    Captain Marvel - July 6, 2018
    Infinity War II - March 8, 2019
    Inhumans - May 3, 2019

Schedule was close but this was the original

Guardians 2 - may 2017
    Captain Marvel - July 2018
    Inhumans - November 2018
    Infinity war 2 - may 2019

After spider-man was announced it became

Guardians 2 - may 2017
    Spider man - July 2017
    Thor ragnarok - November 2017
    Black Panther - July 2018
    Captain Marvel - November 2018
    inhumans - July 2019

Now with these updates it becomes

Guardians 2 - may 2017
    Spider man - July 2017
    Thor ragnarok - November 2017
    Black Panther - Feb 2018
    Ant Man and the Wasp - July 2018
    Captain Marvel - March 2019
    inhumans - July 2019
    Untitled - may 2020
    Untitled - July 2020
    Untitled - nov 2020

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options

It did better than the first Captain America

Cap 1: 176.6 domestic, 193.9 foreign
    Ant-Man: 178.4 domestic, 231 foreign

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    That Black Panther (as currently scheduled) would release during Black History Month is a nice touch.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I haven't bothered to spend any effort looking into the future of marvel films but now I see that apparently Benedict Cumerbatch is going to be Dr. Strange and Tilda Swinton is going to be The Ancient One.

I need to go change my pants, excuse me.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    This actually gets their schedule to 3 a year now with the announcement.

they always put their biggest movies in the May slot. Civil War, Guardians 2 (who would expected that), and Infinity War 1/2. Make me wonder what the big one will be for 2020s slot. Guardians 3? Maybe Spider-man 2 depending on how the first does?

My bet is those 2 and maybe dr strange 2 for the 2020 slots.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    This actually gets their schedule to 3 a year now with the announcement.

they always put their biggest movies in the May slot. Civil War, Guardians 2 (who would expected that), and Infinity War 1/2. Make me wonder what the big one will be for 2020s slot. Guardians 3? Maybe Spider-man 2 depending on how the first does?

My bet is those 2 and maybe dr strange 2 for the 2020 slots.

Squirrel girl.

portrait_incredible.jpg

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I haven't bothered to spend any effort looking into the future of marvel films but now I see that apparently Benedict Cumerbatch is going to be Dr. Strange and Tilda Swinton is going to be The Ancient One.

I need to go change my pants, excuse me.

Doc Strange and Inhumans are the two properties I desperately want to see. Everything else is just another punch in the buy seven get one free coffee card.

Not that I don't love them. I'm just ready for Avengers without Steve Rogers and everyone else to go the way of Barton.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Eh, good for it, I was just completely ambivalent with Ant-Man, and don't know that there's anything there to give it a sequel as opposed to the two just being in the next avengers movies.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Adam McKay direct it since it seems they just need a director in name only now

Or they'll bring the director back because they do reward directors who do good for them.

Not really, at best it's 50/50.

Favreau was run off after birthing this golden child, Whedon seems burned out of life by how he was treated with Age of Ultron, they stole Wright's ideas like people try to steal Pym Particles and kicked him to the curb. Branagh seemed to see into the horizon of what was expected should he return and said "nope." Joe Johnston didn't seem to be offered Winter Soldier at all. Alan Taylor didn't seem to enjoy his time directing at all.

James Gunn and the Russos are the only ones who seem to have decent relationships so far.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My reading errors keep making me see Spider-Man and Thor:Ragnorok underneath it as

Spider-man:Ragnarok , and I'm so curious what that series would be if it existed heh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Eh, good for it, I was just completely ambivalent with Ant-Man, and don't know that there's anything there to give it a sequel as opposed to the two just being in the next avengers movies.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Adam McKay direct it since it seems they just need a director in name only now

Or they'll bring the director back because they do reward directors who do good for them.

Not really, at best it's 50/50.

Favreau was run off after birthing this golden child, Whedon seems burned out of life by how he was treated with Age of Ultron, they stole Wright's ideas like people try to steal Pym Particles and kicked him to the curb. Branagh seemed to see into the horizon of what was expected should he return and said "nope." Joe Johnston didn't seem to be offered Winter Soldier at all. Alan Taylor didn't seem to enjoy his time directing at all.

James Gunn and the Russos are the only ones who seem to have decent relationships so far.

Joss Whedon, the Russos, James Gunn and Favreau were all bought back for at least one sequel, and Whedon has had a fruitful relationship with Marvel few others have had the opportunity to. His associates and business Mutant Enemy have become intertwined with Marvel tv shows, his brother and sister-in-law showrun AoS, and ME employees are in full force on Daredevil. He's also been a major architect and script doctor for the MCU after Avengers, that's a huge reason why he was run ragged before AoU - he wasn't just a director, he was an integral cog in the machine at the highest level. And he directed the AOs pilot and written several of their scripts (46!). Sure he was burned out by AOU, and Marvel did go overboard there, but he wasn't chased off the lot with sticks or anything. He also had been working there for years, so it's not a shock that he wants to do something on his own for a while.

They fucked up with Fav.

They didn't steal Wright's ideas, by signing on with them he new what he was getting into when he created material for them. The studios keep the ideas, and it's up to them what to do with it. Usually they start over, actually. And they gave him a producing credit, because everyone knew how valuable he was to the movie. Wright, from what I've read, isn't a director who'd fit in with Marvel's system even if he did direct it. He likes to work at his own pace, is a perfectionist and likes to be his own boss - so they came into conflict. He gave them a great skeleton of a story to work with and they produced an amazing film. Not every good thing in the movie was from Wright either
    supposedly Lilly's role was reduced to a cameo in his movie, while in the new version she ascended to the supporting cast. One of the biggest sticking points allegedly was the Falcon cameo, which was one of the best scenes in the movie. The movie stalling is probably the biggest reason why Ant-man wasn't around earlier, it was meant to be in Phase One, so Marvel had to have Stark create Ultron.
    Wright had a problem with making the movie intertwined with the MCU, which was untenable with Marvel's system from the get-go - which only got more intense later on when they established their system. Which would have been fine if the movie wasn't connected to anything else, but it was.

James Gunn has had a fantastic relationship with Marvel. They pushed him further into outlandish territory with GOTG, not held him back.

Like all studios Marvel's system doesn't work for everybody. Many directors won't like the atmosphere, but that occurs in all studio cultures.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

Ant-Man had a larger following with women and families than other Marvel movies, so it was pretty much a given that it'd get a sequel pretty soon.
    I'd love to believe that it was because it was a great movie, but I'm just cynical enough to recognize that the appeal to a different audience is something Disney was going to jump on, and I say Disney instead of Marvel because it was Disney exec Dave Hollis who was trumpeting the market appeal.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It's funny, you know.

The MCU has grown exponentially to such an extent now that it really wouldn't surprise me that some projects might be put on hold or just recede into the background for a good long while.

It makes more sense that they take their time, and make room for unexpected hits to dictate some revisions to their production schedule.

I suspect Thor Ragnarok has to be the lead-in to the Infinity War. Much as I dig the big guy, I don't know what else they could do to encourage me to see a third standalone Thor movie other than that.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Make an entertaining movie?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Thor 3: More Loki, We Promise

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm honestly shocked that Agent of Asgard hasn't happened in some form.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Agent of Asgard only came out in 2014 (after Dark World), and Marvel's film schedule is already packed to hell.

• Options
    Yes but I want it

So

Let's get on that

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Eventually it should, maybe after Thor's trilogy ends.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Make an entertaining movie?

Pfff. They've made plenty. :)

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Thor Swoledinson

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    That would have been a much better movie if all those had been included.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Jragghen wrote: »

Banner Romanov conversation was still bad,but not as bad.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Other than the whole relationship being out of left field what's wrong with it?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Well, Black Widow basically says she's a monster because of what was done to her,which is problematic on a lot of levels.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    agent of asgard is also kind of super convoluted and would require introducing a bunch of plot elements they haven't really touched

although somewhere down the line doing AoA as basically 'Memento, the Comic Book Movie' would be fun

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Well, Black Widow basically says she's a monster because of what was done to her,which is problematic on a lot of levels.

Pretty sure we've (as in the thread in general) been over this before: It's not what was done, it's what she believed in/allowed.

• Options
    FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular

I thought it was implied that part of why she says that is because of what she's done because of the training as well.

• Options
    Yes.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I'm still hoping against hope that they make an extended-edition DVD.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Even just the first couple minutes of the Thor scenes would have improved his stuff a ton.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to watch those without the terrible black screen every few seconds? These scenes aren't on the Bluray, right?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Fantastika wrote: »

I thought it was implied that part of why she says that is because of what she's done because of the training as well.

Talking explicitly about her surgery (for a cause that she believed in, sure), and indicating in the most oblique manner possible that her revelation that her penance for being Russia's(or whoever controls the Red Room) best agent/assassin turns out to be possibly worse is not the best indication that she feels worse about the latter than the former.

But yes we did talk about this, so whatever.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Is there a way to watch those without the terrible black screen every few seconds? These scenes aren't on the Bluray, right?

I believe they actually are on the blu-ray in the extras section.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I believe they actually are on the blu-ray in the extras section.

Can confirm.

There won't be an extended edition or director's cut - Whedon said the theatrical version of the film is the only one he's interested in showing, that it is his version already.

I mean, I guess Disney could override him if they want to release a second version, but has there been any second special editions of any MCU films so far?

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    marvel is partnering with fox for two X men TVs shows, a 60s one focusing on he hellfire club and one based around Legion.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25282/fox_in_development_on_hellfire_working_title
    http://marvel.com/news/tv/25281/fx_networks_orders_pilot_for_legion

This discussion has been closed.