Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The New Kids

2»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    7 million

Lemme just see what this person does. Random video annd I quit. I want off this planet.

On the other hand there's some quality production groups on that list. Off the top of my head CollegeHumor and FreddieW are both out and out production studios. And for whatever reason Vlogbrothers aren't there but they're basically YouTube PBS at this point. Literally. They've been working together with PBS to create educational content.

Quid on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sometimes I prefer a written article to a video. Robert Florence's Downtime Town was an excellent video review of board games, but his Cardboard Children column on RPS has been just as high quality.

People remember Ebert for his TV series, but the man's actual career was some truly high-caliber written reviews. Neither one supplants the other.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Sometimes I prefer a written article to a video. Robert Florence's Downtime Town was an excellent video review of board games, but his Cardboard Children column on RPS has been just as high quality.

People remember Ebert for his TV series, but the man's actual career was some truly high-caliber written reviews. Neither one supplants the other.

Ebert was on TV? I only ever read his newspaper reviews. That's right, the newspaper.

(I read his reviews because there was literally nothing else of value in the document once they replaced Calvin and Hobbes in the comics.)

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Ebert was on TV? I only ever read his newspaper reviews. That's right, the newspaper.

(I read his reviews because there was literally nothing else of value in the document once they replaced Calvin and Hobbes in the comics.)

Weird that you would only have read his newspaper reviews and not recall that Roger Ebert was originally part of a duo with Gene Siskel. They had a show, Siskel & Ebert*, which he did solo and with guests for a bit after Siskel died. After Ebert's cancer diagnosis and subsequent surgeries he didn't come back to the show itself (he lost his jaw and they were reconstructing and stuff). But yeah... he had a show.

edit: correction - think it was Siskel & Ebert, then Ebert & the Movies?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Think it may have been Ebert & Roeper or Ebert & Roeper at the Movies for a while...?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think it was always At the Movies, but yeah their show was pretty popular especially if you didn't have access to their column (our local paper certainly didn't)

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    From the IMDB:
    1975-1983: Sneak Previews
    1982-1986: At The Movies
    1986 - 2010 Siskel & Ebert. This was also known as:
    • Siskel & Ebert & the Movies
    • At the Movies
    • Ebert & Roeper and the Movies
    • Roger Ebert & the Movies
    • Ebert & Roeper
    So it's a mess. Two shows with the 2nd show at times being known as the first one.

• Options
    The name Siskel and Ebert is super familiar, but I was a snotty-nosed kid back then and didn't really watch the old people shows. :)

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    7 million

Lemme just see what this person does. Random video annd I quit. I want off this planet.

On the other hand there's some quality production groups on that list. Off the top of my head CollegeHumor and FreddieW are both out and out production studios. And for whatever reason Vlogbrothers aren't there but they're basically YouTube PBS at this point. Literally. They've been working together with PBS to create educational content.

Oh, I'm sure. I just looked at the top one and quietly reflected on what I get paid for saving people's actual lives.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    From the IMDB:
    1975-1983: Sneak Previews
    1982-1986: At The Movies
    1986 - 2010 Siskel & Ebert. This was also known as:
    • Siskel & Ebert & the Movies
    • At the Movies
    • Ebert & Roeper and the Movies
    • Roger Ebert & the Movies
    • Ebert & Roeper
    So it's a mess. Two shows with the 2nd show at times being known as the first one.
    I like the inconsistent use of Ampersands among the various names.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Also, my only knowledge of "Siskel and Ebert" was via the TV show The Critic, at least until more recent years.

forty on
  • Options
    Forced_moveForced_move Registered User new member
    I had that same initial visceral reaction when I realized what PewDiePie makes.

But after some reflection, I realized that we, as a culture, pay people to do really stupid shit, and we typically pay them boatloads.

Consider professional sport (originally a kind of oxymoron). We pay men and women multiples of what PDP makes, and basically they are sweating and aching and getting either really happy or really depressed for a living. But we assign value to what they do, we take the time to measure their skill, compare it, talk about it amongst ourselves and consume what other people have to say about it (and generally those people also are paid just to talk).

Now, I understand that to us it's like comparing apples and stupid, but remember when sports first started going "professional" many people saw it as juvenile, puerile, infantile, and all them other -iles you might want. But, decades later, we think it incomprehensible to compare a contest of skill and will with the slop we see on the YouTubes.

That's not to say that footballs and PDP are equal, or that other YouTubers are just as bad/good as any other media we consume/reject. I believe in hierarchy of content, and objectively well done work is superior to sloppy work. A lot of people might like that sloppy work, though, and that's where I really get my knickers in a wad. Unfortunately, nary a soul seems to care about that.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, if I could somehow stumble into the magic combination that let me get paid millions to be a complete and utter idiot i would drop my job so fast. It's just I watched some of his stuff and it's...It's fuckin' bad, man. That's my real gripe.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Forced_moveForced_move Registered User new member
    I feel you. I actually watched his Brothers play through a while back because I wanted to see how the feels hit him. He kind of drops character a bit and is pretty quiet for a while, which was neat to watch and a blessing. Ultimately, he managed to take a schtick that has many of us cringing and make it not just palatable, but a major source of entertainment for many others. And I suspect that there are things from his videos that probably permeate our society, slang and sayings, and we are totally unaware.

To be honest, I wish I could like it. It is just really not my cup of tea.

In an effort to stop travailing over these issues, a question: does anyone have a favorite YouTuber for game reviews? I kind of agree with the idea that these guys are taking over that role, even if that can't do so completely, and I'm curious if there are any of us who consume the videos for that express purpose. The most I've done is type in a name of a game and just watch the first interesting video i see for gameplay. I've used particular individuals (like a guy named Aavak) as a walkthrough for harder games like Dwarf Fortress, but other than that I just click and have no idea who it is and don't try and go back to that person in particular. Is it the same for you guys, or do you have favorites that you gravitate towards?

• Options

In an effort to stop travailing over these issues, a question: does anyone have a favorite YouTuber for game reviews? I kind of agree with the idea that these guys are taking over that role, even if that can't do so completely, and I'm curious if there are any of us who consume the videos for that express purpose. The most I've done is type in a name of a game and just watch the first interesting video i see for gameplay. I've used particular individuals (like a guy named Aavak) as a walkthrough for harder games like Dwarf Fortress, but other than that I just click and have no idea who it is and don't try and go back to that person in particular. Is it the same for you guys, or do you have favorites that you gravitate towards?

He doesn't do his reviews on Youtube, but the reviewer whose opinions tend to reflect mine (which is ultimately the deciding factor in choosing reviewers, IMO) is Jim Sterling, formerly of the Escapist, formerly of Destructoid. He splits his content between Youtube (mostly industry commentary and Let's Plays of Early Access games) and his website where he has written reviews. And on a very, very specific note, I watch Kripparian, who puts out daily videos reviewing/ educating in various aspects of a single game (Hearthstone)

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Personally if I'm really interested I read as many reviews as possible, mentally edit out anything that appears to be personal opinion via cross reference, and aggregate to get a total picture. You can achieve a remarkably objective evaluation if you look at enough different points of view. People betray their own personal biases in reviews unsubtly enough that you can spot them easily once you've read enough different reviewers. I don't take a single reviewers word on anything.
    I do not, generally speaking, buy a lot of games. There's about a handful of games I really want in a year and I play them a lot. For anything else I usually wait for word of mouth.
    Sometimes one of my friends just buys it for me because they're disgusted I don't even have it yet.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Huh, I've only seen maybe five of those names before.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Huh, I've only seen maybe five of those names before.

You have me beat by 3. College Humor and Pew were it for me.