As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Oh, I had no clue it was a thing in Gears either.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Myrrah boxes came back so I blew another 4k credits on loot boxes and didn't get her again. :razz:

October update is delayed to the end of the month to ship alongside the 4k update.

However, there's good Gears news at least: that Gears comic IDW is working on? It's a prequel about RAAM.
    Gears of War: The Rise of RAAM #1
    Kurtis Wiebe (w) • Max Dunbar (a) • Ryan Brown (c)
    One of the most iconic villains of the Gears of War universe takes the spotlight! Years before he became the bane of humanity on Emergence Day, RAAM rose through the ranks to take leadership of the Locust Horde armies thanks to his intelligence, strength, and ruthlessness. Now, witness that swift and brutal ascent in... The Rise of RAAM!

Dare I hope we might finally get a closer look at Locust society?

EDIT: Also, is this oficially retconning out Judgment? Sounds like RAAM takes leadership during the war even though Karn was leading the armies during early parts of the war.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    While I can't stand judgement I could seem them being equals in rank. Maybe in charge of different fronts or locust army divisions?

I am really excited about the prospect of learning more about the locust

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    in case anyone else cares fight nights are back. ronin vs WBG currently

• Options
    BTW: today there is 4X experience in Gears 4.

• Options
    Thanks to 4X experience I did something I thought I'd never do: Re-up.

only nine more times to go.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Enjoy.

• Options
    Yeah, probably not going to happen. Though that quad xp thing was nice. Hopefully they do that again soon.

Gotta find a casual sherpa for a co-op insane run at some point, and maybe level one of the classes to 10. Other than that not really pushing for completion on this game. GoW completes aren't my thing.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9MYo8szDw

So, final totals, out of 24 maps

Brand New Maps: 4 (16.67%) (Glory, Speyer, Diner, Dawn)
    Returning Maps: 15 (62.5%) (Checkout, Drydock, Blood Drive, Clocktower, War Machine, Old Town, Hotel, The Slab, Security, Avalanche, Rust Lung, Raven Down, Canals, Mercy, Fuel Depot)
    Modified Maps: 5 (20.83%) (Impact Dark, Reclaimed Windflare, Forge Blitz, Harbor Haze, Lift Apex)

Not to knock the amount of work it takes to bring an existing map into Gears 4, that's still an embarrassing lack of original content. And having a FIFTH of the DLC maps be modified versions of other maps is a pretty scummy way to achieve your "24 DLC maps" total.

I mean, shit, there were more modified existing maps than there were new maps in this DLC.

EDIT: And granted, these were available for free, but they also sold a $50 season pass with early access and private match use as selling points. I'll be curious if Gears 5 has a similar season pass, how many actually bother to bite on it that time.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    i would venture to guess most people will not get the season pass if it resembles this round. as someone who didn't purchase it i reaped all the benefits. i think moving forward they 100% have to keep the maps free and find some other way to monetize things if that's really how they want to do this. maybe the lottery boxes raked in dough, but i'd rather they let the season pass just guarantee you characters and skins or something. maybe let you straight up buy the horde skills and let everyone else get them from packs for free? i dunno it has a pay2win feel, but it's pve content and if tehy allow you to get it from the packs then maybe it'd be fine

• Options
    I got 500 credits for my win of the day, FYI, so it appears that's back.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Gears 3 is getting Xbox One X enhancements.

Also they're celebrating 11 years of Gears with double XP and a loot crate with classic Delta Squad skins.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    they need to bring back that sweet quad XP.

• Options
    I've been pretty meh on reporting new Gears stuff, since it's just more bullshit. (Like they recently announced that they're cycling in all six-month or older special lootbox content into being craftable/showing up in regular loot boxes, as well as stuff like pre-order bonuses. I'm personally OK with this, but it's like they enjoy poking the hornet's nest :) Can't wait for another six months from now when I'll be able to craft a Myrrah. :razz:

But they recently announced that if you play on a map you own (via Season Pass, or just buying them individually) you get bonus xp and credits! This is actually a very clever way of adding a little bit of value to their dumb Season Pass, though this is way too late to matter IMO.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    That's just the excuse I need to complete the collectibles in GOW3. Gears multiplayer is generally wasted on me anyway, and I had a blast with GOW4's story mode.

• Options
    Does this bonus apply to Horde mode class XP?

• Options
    Does this bonus apply to Horde mode class XP?

Dunno, I would guess not though.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    So for the next ten days they have brought back pretty much every loot box. Having saved up over 12k in credits, I decided to try my hand at grabbing Myrrah again, and wound up spending all my credits on six boxes. The Resultes?

-3 Duplicate Epic characters
    -2 Duplicate Legendary Characters
    -Like 16 duplicate weapon skins, various rarities (no legendaries)
    -like 8 new weapon skins, various rarities (no legendaries)
    -1 duplicate emblem.

No Myrrah.

Combined with the four I already bought, this was financially equivalent to $50 dollars, had I gone the real money right. $50 and STILL I wouldn't have the item I wanted.

FUCK.

LOOT.

BOXES.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Oh wow, neat. I didn't know the packs were back. Glad I checked the thread...

The way their loot boxes are set up, you would have truly wasted your money trying to get the high rarity character drop when there was 50% guaranteed chance to get the drop out of the premium box.
    I just bought a mega pack as I spent all my credits on horde boxes, and she was in that.

But it would be bonkers to have bought 10 emergence packs over the mega pack in a spending real money situation if you were looking to get the legendary characters...

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Managed to farm up another box and still no Myrrah. :)

Anywho, they put out some preview pages for the upcoming RAAM comic and man I'm super curious about this thing; there's a shot of what looks like Skorge communing with a giant worm and then he and RAAM team up to fight some Lambent and man I wonder if there's going to be dialog in this thing and what they would make Locust conversations sound like.

EDIT: Also, given how obsessed Epic and now the Coalition is about RAAM, I'm wondering if they're kicking themselves for killing him off in the first game. :biggrin:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Anywho, they put out some preview pages for the upcoming RAAM comic and man I'm super curious about this thing; there's a shot of what looks like Skorge communing with a giant worm and then he and RAAM team up to fight some Lambent and man I wonder if there's going to be dialog in this thing and what they would make Locust conversations sound like.

EDIT: Also, given how obsessed Epic and now the Coalition is about RAAM, I'm wondering if they're kicking themselves for killing him off in the first game. :biggrin:

They're building up for the Swarm-zombie RAAM

• Options

They're building up for the Swarm-zombie RAAM

i mean they have already established that
    locust can be revived (sort of) so i wouldn't be surprised if they recon that raam's body fell off the train or something. i dont recall exactly how he died in the first one

• Options
    Marcus and Dom shot him to death and this the train fell into an immersion sinkhole, followed by the lightmass bomb going off and everything exploding.

• Options
    Marcus and Dom shot him to death and this the train fell into an immersion sinkhole, followed by the lightmass bomb going off and everything exploding.

That's why I was thinking they try some nonsense that bizarrely makes the body recoverable. Or maybe a clone? The obsession with raam makes it seem like something along those lines is inevitable

• Options
    edited December 2017

That's why I was thinking they try some nonsense that bizarrely makes the body recoverable. Or maybe a clone? The obsession with raam makes it seem like something along those lines is inevitable

I wouldn't be surprised if they try something. (If they do, I would be shocked if they didn't use this comic series to specifically explain how, like they used the book series to set up a bunch of stuff in Gears 3.)

I would just say that RAAM's body got preserved in the immulsion until the Lambent Counter-measure went off and put him into a chrysalis. You could use the weirdness of his circumstances to give him enhanced swarm powers. Though if they're going to do stupid stuff to bring him back, I'd rather they go all the way and bring the Locust back too. (Say that while Adam Fenix couldn't find a way to save all the Locust, he came up with an inoculation or a shield or something that could save a few thousand.) and have them bullshit a way of getting RAAM back.

And then have the Locust hate the shit out of the Swarm, so we get some 3-way war action going again.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    You guys are thinking way too much about it, more than TC will.

RAAM will just be alive, we'll have a cut to someone who will be like "I thought you killed him Marcus [dad?], how's he alive?" and Marcus will say, "does it matter? He's alive, so we'll have to kill him again."

That's it. Done. Gears 5.

• Options
    I'm sure they will explain it if he shows up again. However I am only 50/50 on him being resurrected. Doing these flashback stories are an easy way to continue milking the character while keeping them canonically dead. Plus they can do dlc missions or even specific horde maps that utilize him if they specify they are flashbacks. i don't think Marcus tangled with him prior to gears 1? But if he did there you go

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I think it'd be pretty easy to just have RAAM return as some sort of undead crystaline abomination, which is ten to twenty times more effective for a scary nemesis than "Oh, yeah, he got better." Besides, The Coalition has moved the story very much in the direction of interpersonal and family relationships between the new class of Gears and the previous trilogy's, a quick explanation for RAAM is the most desirable.

This is not "OOH YAH WORLD WAR MOSNTER!" Gears so much as "This fucking scary monster again!" Gears, if that makes any sense. The new enemy lacks the sometimes subtle distinctions of rank and military uniformity that the Locust Hive had.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Crystal Myrrah!

Being that the post-war solution was to toss all the corpses with weapons into holes, it's also feasible.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9MYo8szDw

So, final totals, out of 24 maps

Brand New Maps: 4 (16.67%) (Glory, Speyer, Diner, Dawn)
    Returning Maps: 15 (62.5%) (Checkout, Drydock, Blood Drive, Clocktower, War Machine, Old Town, Hotel, The Slab, Security, Avalanche, Rust Lung, Raven Down, Canals, Mercy, Fuel Depot)
    Modified Maps: 5 (20.83%) (Impact Dark, Reclaimed Windflare, Forge Blitz, Harbor Haze, Lift Apex)

Not to knock the amount of work it takes to bring an existing map into Gears 4, that's still an embarrassing lack of original content. And having a FIFTH of the DLC maps be modified versions of other maps is a pretty scummy way to achieve your "24 DLC maps" total.

I mean, shit, there were more modified existing maps than there were new maps in this DLC.

EDIT: And granted, these were available for free, but they also sold a $50 season pass with early access and private match use as selling points. I'll be curious if Gears 5 has a similar season pass, how many actually bother to bite on it that time.

Ill tell you im not buying another gears game

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    After Shadow of War (as well as dumping, now, 24,000 credits to try and fail to get Myrrah) I'm going to make a really strong effort to not buy any $60 games that include loot boxes. Gears might by my only exception, but then again, there are so many games that come out each year I might just say fuck it and stop buying Gears games as well.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    After Shadow of War (as well as dumping, now, 24,000 credits to try and fail to get Myrrah) I'm going to make a really strong effort to not buy any $60 games that include loot boxes. Gears might by my only exception, but then again, there are so many games that come out each year I might just say fuck it and stop buying Gears games as well.

I can respect that principle (and sympathize with your lack of Myrrah). In my case, it would be "Any $60 lootbox game applicable to what I'd play." I'd buy Gears of War 4 again because I would've bought it even if only had the singleplayer and co-op campaign for the same price. I won't buy Battlefront II because I'm not fully convinced the singleplayer experience is worth $6, much less $60, since it's literally just a Battlefield-quality campaign wrapped up in a Star Wars skin (and not even Bad Company's). For people terrible at games (like me), a robust noncompetitive mode takes the sting off, while I assume you fine gents will charitably drag me along for some Horde mode when I finally get curious.

Come to think of it, I wonder if today I'd buy Overwatch for $60 rather than $40, considering it had nothing else but multiplayer at launch (with comically few modes at that) and its own egregious lootbox system. But I also have an irrational love of all things Blizzard.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yea loot boxes are just not fun. There's starting to be a big backlash against them and i cant remember the last 60$ game i bought that included loot boxes save this one...

They really are a bane and underhanded. But then, what does that make raid loot in mmo's? I dunno, at least i felt i was progressing back in vanilla wow. We hit the final raid dungeon inside of a year forming the guild to do the very first raid pull of molten core... pretty big something considering we were trying to get 14 pieces of loot each for 50 to 70 people back then...

Excuse me while i shake off the cold sweats of putting up with even that back then...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm just tired of feeling like I'me being nickled and dimed, and the recent EA dumbshittery where they tried to justify canceling that Visceral game (which sounded like a mess, make no mistake) by blaming it on being an SP game with no monetization is worrisome.

Meanwhile Bethesda has put out a ton of great singleplayer only games with no microtransactions (and no DLC in some cases!) and I'd rather support them then places like EA.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Meanwhile Bethesda has put out a ton of great singleplayer only games with no microtransactions (and no DLC in some cases!) and I'd rather support them then places like EA.

Some Bethesda DLC as of late flat out sucks (I'm looking at you Fallout 4), but yes, it's much less egregious. And it's not flat out gambling either.

• Options

i mean i'm buying the next gears game 100%. i really enjoyed this one and would play it more frequently if i had the opportunity. i will not however buy any loot boxes.

• Options

i mean i'm buying the next gears game 100%. i really enjoyed this one and would play it more frequently if i had the opportunity. i will not however buy any loot boxes.

I haven't bought a single loot box for Gears 4 (at least not with money) but you still feel it's impact into the game.

How skills in horde mode are gated behind either paid cash or credits earned, and how you have to decide between advancing your Horde skills or cosmetic dlc. (Seriously, if I can institute one change in Gears 5: MAKE THE HORDE PROGRESSION NOT LOOT BOX BASED!!!)

I'd be SO much more into Horde if it was just a skill tree or something.

• Options

I haven't bought a single loot box for Gears 4 (at least not with money) but you still feel it's impact into the game.

How skills in horde mode are gated behind either paid cash or credits earned, and how you have to decide between advancing your Horde skills or cosmetic dlc. (Seriously, if I can institute one change in Gears 5: MAKE THE HORDE PROGRESSION NOT LOOT BOX BASED!!!)

I'd be SO much more into Horde if it was just a skill tree or something.

you're not wrong. i doubt they can make their money through lootboxes strictly on competitive multiplayer, and the playerbase would probably drop the game if you can only get certain weapons through them. i know i would, and i love gears. horde is the only place they can even hope to really monetize it (assumptions of course).