As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited November 2022 in Games and Technology
Gears 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqNLdPXI3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXZZ4uAmdek

Due out September on Xbox One, Windows Store and Steam, Gears 5 continue some time after Gears 4. It doesn't appear the war with the Swarm is going well; JD is battle scarred, the COG's Deebee robots appear to have been compromised and Kait is having visions connected to the swarm, leading Marcus to send her and Del to "Where it all began" to uncover the origin of the Locust and the connection between them and Kait's grandmother.

Multiplayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXG-HfWdy0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNUhrnbIiro

Arcade Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHJGsbywMFY

Escalation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHtKwvPqjpE

Horde Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djt3EV9oOa0

Escape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErqsgG0HRR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71UmCY0XiZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VStE4gIuHrc

Extra Characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MswUc7Sy24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdJembTzApM

Gears Tactics
Set 2 years after E-day, 12 years before Gears of War 1, Gears Tactics is a turn based strategy game in the style of X-com, developed by Splash Damage (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Brink) coming to PC and has since also been confirmed for Xbox. In it you'll outfit a squad to take on the Locust war machine. Release Date TBA.

GearsPOP!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX-ZRFvpd0Y
Developed by prolific mobile dev MediaTonic, GearsPOP is a non-canonical Gears game on the go, inspired by mobiles titles like Clash Royal.

Undead Scottsman on

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i can only assume it will be a $60 title. which i really won't care if i can paly rhrough again. although i won't have the local co-op option, wife isn't really interested in playing gears. although it will be interesting if local co-op is even available.

• Options
    I'm hoping they take the opportunity to flesh out some of the odder story beats. (Marcus being completely unfazed by his father having more accurate resonator data, all the Brumak stuff from Gears PC that explains the train, having a clearer opening that sets up the game better (rather than a video that sets up the world, not the characters, and only plays if you don't hit start for like a minute on the main menu...) and add in the better enhancements from Gears 2 and 3 (taking hostages, chainsaw fights, bagging and tagging, etc. etc.)

• Options
    wonder if they will redo the MP maps from 1 or just plop them in

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

They redid a few of them for Gears 2&3.

Hopefully they took notes from the Master Chief Collection. Both what did and didn't work.

Do we know if this is just the Trillogy, or will Judgement be thrown in as well? (At least the campaigns. Multiplayer I feel to a huge nosedive into a shallow pond with that game.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

They redid a few of them for Gears 2&3.

Hopefully they took notes from the Master Chief Collection. Both what did and didn't work.

Do we know if this is just the Trillogy, or will Judgement be thrown in as well? (At least the campaigns. Multiplayer I feel to a huge nosedive into a shallow pond with that game.)

It's only the first game, as far as we know.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Judgement was...

I wanted to like Judgement really hard. All the new guns were sweet and the core gameplay was still rad as fuck. The Declassified mode was not only great fun in an arcadey, challenge-yourself sense, but it really helped serve the overarching narrative. And despite the complete absence of character from Cole, Sofia and Paduk were both great fun.

But the sheer volume of enemies that did nothing but get in your face and melee you to death was fucking unacceptable. Horrendous. Why give us new sniper rifles if we end up encountering whole groups of gargling, froth-spitting enemies that only bullrush?

If they fixed that one part of the enemy AI in Judgement, it would have been a fantabulous game (anaemic unlocks system aside)

Loved all them Gears trailers though. Fond, fond memories. My guess is that Gears HD will probably come with beta access to Black Tusk's new title.

• Options
    Whoa, I can't believe I missed this. You know how MS's Halo studio is 343 Games? Apparently Rod Fergusson (Formerly of Gears of War head for Epic, currently Gears of War head for Microsoft) announced that they're renaming Black Tusk Studios to "The Coalition," implying that they're working on Gears of War now and forever. I was kinda hoping we'd see that project they had to sideline when MS gave them Gears, but I guess not now.

Also, Rod mentions they're going to show stuff at E3, and if that rumor that Splash Damage is the one handling the Gears of War Ultimate Edition, then that would mean they'll be showing off the new Gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_yznxHhfLk

Logo is fun, at least.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Gears 1 remaster is official and they showed off Gears 4.
    https://gearsofwar.com/en-us

Edit:
    Gears of War: Ultimate Edition

The story of “Gears of War” thrusts gamers into a deep and harrowing battle for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surfaced from the bowels of the planet. Players live and breathe the role of Marcus Fenix. A disgraced former war hero, Marcus seeks personal redemption as he leads his fire team against an onslaught of merciless warriors from below.

Remastered for Dolby 7.1 Surround
    90 mins of new campaign content from the original PC game
    New Xbox Live achievements (1,250 Gamerscore)
    Concept art gallery and unlockable comics
    Modernized Multiplayer featuring:
    60 frames per second
    Dedicated servers
    Skill-based matchmaking
    New game types - Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill (Gears of War 3 style), and new 2v2 Gnasher Execution
    Total of 19 maps, including all DLC and PC-exclusive maps
    17 unlockable Gears of War 3 characters for Multiplayer progression
    More Match customization including Actives, Respawn Time, Self-revive and Weapon Respawn
    Modernized gameplay with smoother movement and updated controls:
    Alternate Controls and all new Tournament Controls
    All controls tuned for Xbox One
    Adding the Gears of War 3 features you love: Enemy Spotting, Multiplayer Tac-Com, Improved sensitivity customization
    Original Release: August 25, 2015

Available on: Xbox One

Nice to see them including the PC levels.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Its been awhile since we had a Gears thread.

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    Its been awhile since we had a Gears thread.

I love it. Anyone in the multi beta yet?

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I can't see myself getting this. I liked Gears 2 and 3 much better, both campaign and multiplayer. And each game constantly adds new gameplay features that will make the first game hard to go back to.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Welp registered for the beta just waiting for the code. Wish it was execution instead of TDM . TDM should have never been introduced to the series * old man grumbles*

• Options
    The Gears 4 trailer was surprisingly underwhelming. With the locust and lambent threats gone, I guess we're fighting weather and wildlife now?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm betting the shadowy dude they were hunting was a Locust. He had some billowy bits that looked a bit like Theron garb. I imagine they'll find a way to retcon the Locust into still existing in the future.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I assumed they were just hunting after the wildlife the whole time. I couldn't make out a shadowy dude at all thanks to how dark it all was.

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Man I hate that generic hero in the demo. Somewhere Marcus is shaking his head in disgust.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Man I hate that generic hero in the demo. Somewhere Marcus is shaking his head in disgust.

That guy looks pretty much what I'd expect Marcus and Anya's kid to look like.

Anywho, as expected, buying the Gears of War remake nets you access to the Gears 4 beta.

Also, it sounds like it's an actual remake, and not just a HD remastering. Buildin' shit from the ground up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn-h5D0_LhI

• Options
    So for the remake, are the newer weapons and enemies getting rolled in? I had always assumed that the stuff in 2 and 3 were retconned in as being present in gears 1 just you never saw them or something.

Was watching a few people stream, and heard them complaining of sniper active reload downs. Is that actually back?

• Options
    I gues they really, really want me in the beta for Ultimate.

I just got 3 more access codes... Oh wait, 2 are copies of my original. So I have ONE extra code to give out.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    As long as they don't add in the terrible swathe of rushdown-type enemies from Judgment I'm all good

• Options
    I played a few rounds of the beta. It's... boring.

I was never that big on Gears multi, but I liked Gears 3's and even Judgment's way more. At least the game feels a bit more colorful than the original. This will probably be a $20 purchase down the road.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Ultimate Edition is coming to PC, and Gears 4 might be coming too.

Kinda want them to remake 2 and 3 too, if it gets us PC releases.

Hell, I'd take. PC version of Judgment.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly...I can't say I have much interest in replaying the first Gears.

I mean I loved it but I think I got my fill. I'm sure the more competitive players will love it though.

Gears 4 on the other hand. I will admit its probably the only shooter where I give a shit about the story.

We'll see though.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've thought to myself that the only way to get me interested in another Gears game would be a really outlandish departure from the initial setting - you can still have Cogs and the same type of combat, but what if it was set on another world?

We know planet Sera suffered an armageddon-level war in the past - it could be that event deprived the world of contact with a greater, interstellar human empire. There could be other human colonies faced with other enemies, both human and non-human. What about a Gears game with a new alien enemy, wildly divergent from the Locust? And what if in the course of battling this new enemy we see the immulsion substance make a re-appearance while being used in a new way. Including immulsion on other worlds hints at a far deeper history for the substance than just a source of weird mutating fuel on Sera with an unexplained origin - as if it's some kind of galaxy-wide parasitic entity that infects worlds and ultimately subverts and destroys them.

We seem to be back on Sera for Gears4, and there's seems to be a new enemy or at least some new creature we haven't seen before - but if this is just 'the Locusts didn't all die and here's a Locust-hound that we just never saw before' I think it'll be a missed opportunity to introduce a new setting to the GoW gamestyle that could be as exciting and compelling as the original setting was.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    It's been mentioned that Sera only has one moon, while whatever planet they're on in the video has two, but it's also been mentioned that Lancers weren't around until several years after E-Day and yet Judgment still had them a month after E-day, so retcons could abound in Gears when its convenient to kewlness.

But I agree with you 100%; they should not have the Locust in Gears 4. While there were some (glaring) plot threads left dangling at the end of Gears 3, it had a very closed-shut ending and I would hope they didn't just throw it out. There should be a new enemy. That said, I have zero faith that Microsoft would be brave enough to move past the the Locust: they're too iconic and the Coalition is too new to the franchise to be willing to huge leaps like that.. It's the Halo 4 conundrum again.

If they absolutely MUST bring back the Locust, I really hope they do something to flesh them out. Four games of disposable badguys is more than enough. We know they apparently would have just stayed down in the Hollow had the Lambent not been a threat, and Adam Fenix seemed to believe they'd cease fighting if the Lambent were destroyed, so while they're cruel and dangerous, there seems to a pragmatic streak to them. I'd honestly like to see them try and inject some form of culture to them. Make it cruel, unsettling and alien to human thinking, of course; they're still Locust after all. But make them more than just things to shoot.

Like, ideally if I were to bring back the Locust, I'd have a small amount (a few thousand) survive (probably via something Adam Fenix devised that he wasn't able to ensure would work, and didn't have enough time to properly test or to arrange for it to protect the entirety of the Locust) and with the Lambent gone (as well as the Queen, who seems to have been the one who went "Humans are terrible and would kill us instead of helping us, so lets just wipe them out and take the surface!") they begin to eke out a meager existence on the surface of Sera for generations before the descendants of the COG remnant and the Stranded run into them again and a new war breaks out because, you know, the Locust kinda nearly wiped out humanity the first time. I'd definitely have the humans strike first here, playing up the idea that the Locust wouldn't get into a costly war for mere spite; it needs to be the only way they can survive.

If I wanted to be super bold, I set it even further in the future after humanity defeats the locust again and has enslaved them. Imagine if we got a Gears of War game where one of your squadmates was a Locust slave? Or like we see the future Lancer and it has an electric prod on it which you can use for new shock executions, but then after you've gone "this is a neat" you find out partway through the game that it's supposed to be used to discipline (and sometimes torture) Locust slaves.

I wouldn't ever set them up to be buddy-buddy with humanity of course, but a major change in the dynamics between the two races where Humanity are the ones with the advantage could be interesting.

• Options
    Did every nation have a doomsday weapon during Pendulum Wars, or was it just the COG and their Hammer?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Judgment introduced the Lightmass Missile

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Well, yeah, but that was deployed at the end of 1 and 2.
    I thought those were developed after E-day though.

EDIT: I haven't played through all of Judgement yet, maybe the 3rd mission in.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Nocren wrote: »
    Did every nation have a doomsday weapon during Pendulum Wars, or was it just the COG and their Hammer?

The Hammer of Dawn is what won the COG the pendulum wars. IIRC, part of it was stolen from the UIR during the battle of Aspho Fields (they were further ahead than the COG in satellite tech so they invaded UIR land and stole it before they could finish it; this was the battle that made Marcus Fenix a famous soldier.)

EDIT: It's mentioned in Gears of War by General Hoffman that "We now have the Lightmass bomb" while Paduk in Gears of War Judgment mentions his burn scars were from a Lightmass missile attack during the pendulum wars, so the COG had to have that tech during it. The Bomb is probably derivative, designed to be deployed in Locust tunnels rather that shot like a missile.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    I played some of the beta last night and this morning. It feels really good to play Gears again. I know I will probably not get into the multi as much as I did with the original Gears of War on the 360, but it's fun to play again. It seems a bit slow (probably like the original), but popping heads and chainsawing guys is still a ton of fun.

I really am interested in playing through the campaign. I played through the original campaign so many times years ago, but it's still the only one I want to play again and again. Looking forward to it.

• Options
    Oh hey, Ultimate Edition is only $40 too. That's actually pretty cool; I expected it to be $60.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Gotta download the beta later tonight. My experience with Gears 1 multi was rather limited.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Heads up every day you play you unlock one skin for retail , saturday is for trashball cole. Also 10 fucking years and the game is still so inconsistent. Fucking furious right now.

• Options
    Heads up every day you play you unlock one skin for retail , saturday is for trashball cole. Also 10 fucking years and the game is still so inconsistent. Fucking furious right now.

Aw poo. I hope those are unlockable in the game too; or will PC players just be screwed? (Unless they're doing a PC beta at a later date)

• Options

Really? At the speed this beta is downloading 6gb I might be able to play by then. I don't understand why it's so slow. :|

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Finally got in. Played a match.

They definitely recaptured that sense of "wth how did he just walk up to me and one shot me with a shotgun despite my emptying my clip into his chest/face?" rather well. I also found the sensation of "oh wow I actually downed him time to WATCH MY TEAMMATE RUN UP AND EXECUTE MY KILL" felt the same as in the original game too.

Chainsaw rev was near instant for kills too, chunky salsa congas.

edit: note, only played one match because it's after 12a here so it was a night cap match, not due to annoyance or w/e. It wasn't that bad.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Here's the thing. People have been pleading for epic to make the lancer less garbage and the gnasher more consistent. The problem is whenever someone says anything negative or asks for a newer feature the community shits on them and tells them to go back to gears 3. The gear 1 diehards are some of the dumbest hostile pieces of garbage ever so I doubt anything will change.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I remember the one glorious week in Gears 3 where they made rifles good. It was my favorite week of Gears ever.

I played a couple of games on the Beta today and it was kind of fun. The only problem being people on my team kept dropping out on KotH so we had no chance. I didn't mind teams not working in the beta until I experienced randoms who won't just finish a game.

• Options
    Base gears 3 rifles were already really strong . HB could almost instadown , was crazy.

So todays skin is Jupiter if anyone wants to unlock it. I was thinking about the day 2 skins and I realized I played my first game almost as the time was ending ( left it downloading over night) so I may have actually gotten then first two skins! Just need to wait for the game to come out to see if it counted. With the planet theme I'm hoping for a blue Neptune skin for the cog.