As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just got a bunch of supply drops after my game connected to the server, so I think you're still getting progression, it's just not showing up.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    You're not getting levels for horde or escape right now. Or even overall multiplayer rank. And the game isn't even officially out yet. Tuesday is going to be a huge clusterfuck, but win BL 3 comes out their servers will be empty.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I just got a bunch of supply drops after my game connected to the server, so I think you're still getting progression, it's just not showing up.

Yeah I got 4 supply drops when i relogged but nothing else

• Options
    It's a real bummer there have so many issues because I'm having a ball with Escape mode. Even with pugs it ain't so bad.

• Options
    Yeah I actually enjoyed escape mode, but the lack of progress killed my enjoyment.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So who wants to do horde mode this friday Sept 13th? And if we are short ppl we can do escape

I'll be ready to play around 6pm PST

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I'd be down, if things are working then.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    You're not getting levels for horde or escape right now. Or even overall multiplayer rank. And the game isn't even officially out yet. Tuesday is going to be a huge clusterfuck, but win BL 3 comes out their servers will be empty.

God damnit. I just suffered through this 50-wave match with a Del who refused to upgrade defenses and I didn't need to! I failed an MP match earlier and thought maybe they had changed things to not award XP that way so sat through this slog of a match.

. . .I think I might be at the "get your shit together Coalition and MS" train right now.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

God damnit. I just suffered through this 50-wave match with a Del who refused to upgrade defenses and I didn't need to! I failed an MP match earlier and thought maybe they had changed things to not award XP that way so sat through this slog of a match.

. . .I think I might be at the "get your shit together Coalition and MS" train right now.

Yeah this was me after an 18 wave horde thing with bots. "Why the fuck did I sit through that?" Like seriously for me there's no reason to even play the game.

Which sucks singleplayer was so good but god damn these saving issues are just ridiculously shitty. At least I got early access by game pass ultimate, imagine if you paid for the ultimate edition?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I hard-exited from my last Horde game, which skips all post-match stats but still goes through level up and card drops.

Off-tangent, but lol why are we conflating the release of a first-person loot-shooter RPG with the demise of a third person shooter's multiplayer population lol

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    So who wants to do horde mode this friday Sept 13th? And if we are short ppl we can do escape

I'll be ready to play around 6pm PST

I'd be down to do some of that a bit later that evening if y'all are still at it after 7:30-ish.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Seems to have updated for me, and now to hope my Escape score holds out for another nine days.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Got a bunch of escape cards, so it looks like everything is finally fixed and nobody lost any progress for games played.

Also played a 50 round horde match and until Wave 50 it was easy peasy on beginner. There were so many damn turrets out.

EDIT: also I had the best placed turrets so I wound up getting MVP every round towards the end.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Got a bunch of escape cards, so it looks like everything is finally fixed and nobody lost any progress for games played.

Also played a 50 round horde match and until Wave 50 it was easy peasy on beginner. There were so many damn turrets out.

EDIT: also I had the best placed turrets so I wound up getting MVP every round towards the end.

That is what happened to me

Everyone was banking and not spending so I just start saturating the field with turrets

And I was getting MVP before that all the time cause I was getting headshots with Emile left and right

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I guess I dodged a bullet playing on PC because I haven't come across any progression issues so far lol

Just general connectivity and login problems that cleared up after Saturday night

I've been meaning to do an upgrade to windows 10 that I've been putting off. This may be a good excuse. although maybe it'll be fixed before then.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular

One of the messier first party launches I've seen in awhile.

This isn't a fix. What does the status of their servers have to do with my single player campaign?

Fuck them.

So, this team of folks made a gorgeous, fun to play game that they've worked on for years.

There are some issues. And its "Fuck them" ??

If I were a developer, I would never read forums.

Personally, am loving the continued visual evolution that started with 4 and got some serious steroids in 5. 60 FPS 4k on a One X and an OLED television is quite a sight.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The fact they worked on it for years should have given them plenty of time to realize tying single player to online is stupid as all hell. Maybe they do realize it, but someone up the chain demands it. Either way, their name on the game.

So I am sure they can weather a well earned "Fuck them" long as they got paid.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The fact they worked on it for years should have given them plenty of time to realize tying single player to online is stupid as all hell. Maybe they do realize it, but someone up the chain demands it. Either way, their name on the game.

I'm guessing the majority of the workers (off-site contractors) are already off on some other job or taking in unemployment, as per the industry standard.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Played some co-op cross-play tonight, from beginning to the end of Act 1. I gotta say, this is probably my favorite mainline cast of Gears yet and out of all the games so far this is the one that makes Sera as a setting feel like a real, living space. It's really fucking strong narratively, the writers put in a lot of effort to add dimension and depth to the characters (even the backstory goobers from Gears 4 like Jinn) and it does so in the classic style of Gears military melodrama. There's still some classic hokey moments (like everything that comes out of Cole's mouth, bless him) but it gives players familiarity while still exploring new ground.
    The Coalition had the burden of putting in the groundwork to set up the setting and cast for Gears 4 (playing it a little too safe imo) and already after the first act of Gears 5 it's seriously paying dividends. I'm so fucking excited to keep going with this game's story so far

Performance-wise cross-play co-op seems to work like a charm. No major disconnecting besides my internet crapping out a little, but joining a player/forming a party seems doable via both the Xbox companion app and in-game when on Windows 10 and it's very seamless. I don't have the Steam version, so I do wonder if cross-play works there too

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Slight story spoilers:
    It makes no sense for the Jin or anyone else to give a fig about the Hammer of Dawn. They're nothing compared nukes and other things that should be/are around.

• Options
    I definitely think there's a huge power gap between what they were lore-wise at the beginning of the series and how they're actually portrayed in-game - the original trilogy always said they managed to melt a vast proportion of the earth into glass, but their portrayal in-game presents them as fairly surgical weapons with a limited area of effect.
    Even as an incomplete weapon with broken tracking the worst collateral damage it does in Gears 5 seems to span over the distance of a few blocks. Like yeah I would understand them not seeing it as being a practical tool for use in its current state, but as a feared weapon of mass destruction? Kind of inconsistent

• Options
    Played this morning with the fixed stat allocation and escape is great when you're actually getting cards and stuff. Mac for "not irish ass kicker" for life. His boltok upgrades are very much my jam.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

My spider sense tells me that this (online saves) was dictated to them. They may have all opposed it, but your paycheck is contingent on building the infrastructure you are told to build. I have zero evidence for this of course. It still sucks and I think criticism is justified. I'm just not clear on the feet the blame should lay at. Naturally they will catch the majority of the flack, like you said their name is there. Doesn't necessarily mean it is their fault.
    Played some co-op cross-play tonight, from beginning to the end of Act 1. I gotta say, this is probably my favorite mainline cast of Gears yet and out of all the games so far this is the one that makes Sera as a setting feel like a real, living space. It's really fucking strong narratively, the writers put in a lot of effort to add dimension and depth to the characters (even the backstory goobers from Gears 4 like Jinn) and it does so in the classic style of Gears military melodrama. There's still some classic hokey moments (like everything that comes out of Cole's mouth, bless him) but it gives players familiarity while still exploring new ground.
    The Coalition had the burden of putting in the groundwork to set up the setting and cast for Gears 4 (playing it a little too safe imo) and already after the first act of Gears 5 it's seriously paying dividends. I'm so fucking excited to keep going with this game's story so far

Performance-wise cross-play co-op seems to work like a charm. No major disconnecting besides my internet crapping out a little, but joining a player/forming a party seems doable via both the Xbox companion app and in-game when on Windows 10 and it's very seamless. I don't have the Steam version, so I do wonder if cross-play works there too

I will always love Cole, I loved the end of act 1 with him

Re end of the act spoilers:
    I didn't read your spoiler, but I'm assuming you are talking about the hammer of dawn's power level Brian Blessed. If I recall correctly the original hammer that was deployed was a significantly higher power level but had been ratcheted back for tactical use pre-gears 1. That is why the whole city of ash exists and even the wind flares fucking with climate.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Genuine online connectivity issues aside, when I was playing with @Undead Scottsman, I'm pretty sure his headset was broken or otherwise not working, because I could 1) hear everything he was saying when he couldn't hear anything I said 2) hear myself extremely loudly.

Of course, had we tried to play, we might've run into issues, but we were stopped by that. I only mention because I want to try Escape Mode with people again at some point, Scottsman included.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Having a tremendous amount of problems running the game on my PC for Act 4. Not sure if it's just this one specific mission or what, but it is crashing my PC. I switch back and forth between Xbox One and PC so curious if that has something to do with it but it's a bit of a bummer. Lowering settings doesn't seem to matter I just crash on the first mission in Act 4.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Get some weird but minor glitches during cut scenes with the high res texture pack installed on PC.

But aside from that, this game is gorgeous.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd bet it's not just online saves. Hitman does this sort of thing, and they also use it to gather data on things like map usage, what areas and weapons get used, and so on. Devs are greedy, and want every bit of data on what their players are doing as possible.

I haven't played this yet, but I'm reading that there's a general consensus that there's one boss fight that's more bullshit than engagingly hard? This kind of feedback might lead to them editing it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I'd bet it's not just online saves. Hitman does this sort of thing, and they also use it to gather data on things like map usage, what areas and weapons get used, and so on. Devs are greedy, and want every bit of data on what their players are doing as possible.

I haven't played this yet, but I'm reading that there's a general consensus that there's one boss fight that's more bullshit than engagingly hard? This kind of feedback might lead to them editing it.

Well the fight just has one shot mechanics, has to be done in one go with kind of distinct phasing to it, I dunno how you could edit the fight beyond putting a checkpoint into it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I’m just starting to get into Gears 5 and am enjoying it so far! Glad I missed most of the server issues. It was super obnoxious until they got it fixed.

I would definitely be down for some Escape or Horde!

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    So in act 2
    Is new hope a retcon? I remember the sites but it was all a big mystery then correct? I don't remember Niles and those experiments

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    So in act 2
    Is new hope a retcon? I remember the sites but it was all a big mystery then correct? I don't remember Niles and those experiments
    Nope, all that is straight out of Gears of War 2. We just never got an explicit "the Locust are the result of these experiments.", but New Hope, the Sires and the Niles AI security system were all part of the first half of Chapter 3 in Gears 2.

• Options
    Im down for any kind of multiplayer after 7EST tonight, Im going back to nights so I need to stay up all night anyways.

Also holy shit the Rockstar Lancers are nice looking

8690367647809929229583569259ccdb68302a75.jpeg

63eb82558bcb097a4b70eefe72d7de0bb1d6750e.jpeg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If you guys need another person for escape mode tonight or tomorrow night, hit me up! Desynthesis as always.

• Options
    Sure, down to try and put a dent in the non-challenge ones.

• Options
    So in act 2
    Nope, all that is straight out of Gears of War 2. We just never got an explicit "the Locust are the result of these experiments.", but New Hope, the Sires and the Niles AI security system were all part of the first half of Chapter 3 in Gears 2.

I should have clarified I meant the experiments on people. I remember the sires and general alien:resurrection theme, but Niles specifically and what he did was the part I don't recall

• Options
    So in act 2

I should have clarified I meant the experiments on people. I remember the sires and general alien:resurrection theme, but Niles specifically and what he did was the part I don't recall
    The Niles AI at New Hope is present (he even references his conversation with Marcus from Gears 2 during Gear 5). He refers to sires as the "genetic bridge to their future" and there's collectibles indicating the people infected with Rustlung were being held at New Hope (Dom describes it as looking like a POW camp) and mutations were being observed, people working there were afraid of "the children" who were vicious and cruel, and at some point the whole kit'n'kaboodle was shipped off to Mount Kadar. I suppose it's not outright stated that Niles was turning kids into monsters, but the implication was there of Niles doing some super shady shit.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The Coalition seems to have fixed the save issues so I can finally finish the campaign! General impression? Pretty great! A significant step up from Gears 4, which I thought was kind of dull and repetitive.

Was there any post-credits stinger? My game ended up breaking during the credit roll. The credits finished, but then I was stuck on a black screen, I could go to the pause menu or Jack upgrade menu, and I even had some subtitled dialog text show up. Then eventually I got stuck on an infinite loading screen. Cool.

• Options
    No post credit thingy.

Anywho, Ipori and I did some escape, which was fun, and then we did some beginning horde and were just crushing it. Then on Wave 35 one of the enemies spawned UNDERNEATH the level and we couldn't progress any further. I'm certain we would have finished Wave 50 if we had been able to continue.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    If you guys need another person for escape mode tonight or tomorrow night, hit me up! Desynthesis as always.

I'm on Gears right now, I feel like running an Escape with the little bit of time i have tonight.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN